What are your stances on localizing Japanese slang, Yea Forums? I'd prefer they not do it and just add in a TL note

What are your stances on localizing Japanese slang, Yea Forums? I'd prefer they not do it and just add in a TL note.

Yes, I miss TL notes

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu - 02 fuck CR.jpg (1920x1080, 211K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Oct2xKMGOno
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What did she actually say?

If you aren't dedicated enough to learn Moon and no longer need translations, but nonetheless think you're qualified to judge stylistic choices like this (as opposed to outright errors), you're a whiny faggot who should be ignored.

This pretty much.

Azasu

I really love translator's notes, but they're so rare nowdays. There was one in a show that is currently airing but i can't remember which. I think they're the best way of conveying what the original work meant in a educational sort of way.

This.
The whole point of translations is to translate works from one language to another so people speaking other languages can understand. By not translating things in a comprehensible, natural way you are, objectively, a shit translator.
You can't speak or understand Japanese, OP. Stop pretending that you can, you fucking faggot.

Why don't they just make the characters talk in Japanese, and then have translation notes at the bottom of the screen

I MOSTLY agree with this. I think that OP's picture is a good example of localization, since it conveys the same meaning. I just think its important to at least try to stay congruent to the author's original vision, and not try to add anything to it because you're just a translator, nobody is watching this for you, they like the original work. So shit like Satania's "Thank you my lord satan in hell" or whatever she says should be unnaceptable. Translation is manual labor, when they start getting confused and try being creative is when we have problems.

>mfw the guy who wrote 'keikaku means plan' as a joke ruined anime for everyone for decades

Why don't anime watchers just stop being EOPs

As long as official translations exist, TL notes are dead.

Fansubbing is dead.

Because you can not understand Japanese and still not be an EOP. Learn what terms mean before using them, retard-kun.

I don't care what anyone says
I love this translation

Fine, why don't anime watchers just learn to understand Japanese, anal-kun?

Attached: 1553074042933.jpg (500x375, 26K)

Because you can't even put in the effort to communicate properly using English, you daft cunt. Make sure you have a decent grasp of at least one language before demanding others learn Japanese as a second, third or even fourth one.

Fuck off, this translation was funny and unless you have a room temperature IQ you would have understood the meaning behind the joke anyway.

No TL-notes, just the romanized Japanese word. High Japanese IQ required.

This. Just have subs of entire episodes be roumaji transcriptions.

this but unironically

You shouldn't be this butthurt over a joke post.

I actually like TL notes, they make things more clear the same way that foreign literature it sometimes especially when there isnt a 100% great translation

Watch Hidive's version of Pop Team Epic

>people unironically defend shittyroll

Attached: CR a shit.jpg (1920x1080, 247K)

I've noticed a recent influx of newfags who seem to unironically think Crunchyroll are good

>retards unironically posting stock one line responses thinking their opinions and feelings will be taken seriously by anyone

Attached: subs_humor.jpg (3185x1348, 1.47M)

If you had ever read a book, you would know that translations often have something called footnotes (or endnotes) and leave certain terms in the original language. Unfortunately, you're a moron, and probable monolingual, who went on to make this idiotic post.

This. Nuance is always lost in trying to find the english language equivalent so I prefer when they're quite literal about it.
At least with anime you can hear what the character is saying and make out some words to get the gist of it, but it's the worst in manga.

"Slang" is an absolutely massive category. Far too massive to apply a generalized rule to it.

Why are fansub groups so fucking shit. Commie memes everything even though it's unfunny as hell and for the few series they do give a shit for they can't be arsed to rip their subs so we don't have to download the same episode 5 times to try different groups.

Coalgirls separates OPs which is mostly good but fucks up every other sub you want to use. Not to mention they were smug as fuck when they were still a thing. Everything else is even worse.

This user is 100% right, you obviously have no fucking idea what you're talking about. Most translators for literature wouldn't just insert what they think is the equivalent of the slang and you're expected to read the annotations at the end it you want to understand certain things.
There's a lot of debate to how far between literal and natural a translator should go for, but it's absolutely not a case of just making it most natural for the translated language, because you can't do that without taking important things out of the original work.

Coalgirls always had the worst encoding

Ain't that the truth. Downloading CGs for monogatari was the biggest mistake of my life.

Attached: scr.png (250x225, 6K)

Other languages don't matter so you would still an EOP.

Boy Japanese better be your first language then otherwise you're the biggest retard I've seen on this board you ESL motherfucker

Sure, but this is generally done for things and concepts that just don't exist in the target language, mostly due to cultural differences, not the language itself.
Example of something that should be in italics and have a translator's note:
>The men ate their /blini/ in silence.
>* /blini/ are a traditional Russian thin pancake, similar to crepes
Example of something that should not have a translator's note:
>But you're my kouhai!
>* /kouhai/ means underclassmen or junior colleague

I can't believe we got to a future where 4Kids won and pretty much all subs are at their level of localization now. Who do I need to kill in the past to change this? Note that Daiz is immortal.

Nobody gives a shit about your monkey speak, monkey. Also it was a typo.

Your mom.

If you think this you've never really seen what 4kids has done.

yep

translation vs transliteration

google the difference between these two OP

>thread suggesting that someone isn't satisfied with localization
>herkz drones immediately jump on it
Sasuga.

*TL Note: Sasuga means as expected.

Sure thing ESL-Kun

Deal with it, EOP retard.

It's important in japanese because the social status affects the way you treat people much more than in western cultures. So even though kouhai is literally underclassmen it doesn't have the same power dynamic.

Deal with what? Your shitty English?

I am watching anime, so I obviously want to see stories and characters from a different culture. "Localization" is a technique used to appeal to people who don't want to go outside their culture. That's not for me. If more translators kept Japanese idioms, we'd be confused once or twice and then catch on.

Yes, I'm learning Japanese on my own, but that takes time. And if I can enjoy media from other countries before learning the language, why isn't that a good thing?

Like I said, it varies and there's a lot of debate on it.
What I was disagreeing with was more the idea that natural is always the way to go which is not true and generally becomes less true the further into serious literature (with something like 4kids localisation being on the polar opposite side) you go.
I can't really say without knowing the context for OP, but I think it would have been translated literally using a T/N by most translators. There are always ones that go the localisation route - I know there's a C&P translation that apparently translated "Rodya" as "Roddy" Raskolnikov - but especially over the past couple of decades that seems to have fallen out of fashion.

This was an Amazon show though.

It was translated with a T/N in the manga

Attached: 3.png (1250x1800, 966K)

>not the superior version

Attached: 1544036294683.jpg (1280x720, 256K)

Why are they so much sexier in the manga?

I miss them too, that and fansubbing.

No wonder Japanese is so hard to learn, that's a lot of sub-text.

If there is an equivalent concept in the language you're translating into, transliterate. If it's an idiom with no real equivalent, TL note it if the joke hinges on the idiom or transliterate if it doesn't. If it's a manner of speech, transliterate that shit.

Yes, you should ignore most of what Yea Forums says.

You faggots sure become a condescending lot when it comes to discussing japanese.

I legit laughed at that one.
I'm biased though. youtube.com/watch?v=Oct2xKMGOno

I prefer they not translate it. we have google and shit, yo

translation is hinky enough with directly equivalent concepts

>t/n: t/n means translator's note

Translation notes are terrible.
Localizing slang can occasionally be the best option.
t. raw reader/watcher

Light localisation is fine (going too heavy with English slang tends to be quite jarring for the viewer), but throw in a TL note so people know what's going on.

Using spoken slang is fine, but nobody in real life says 'My Dudes', that's fucking Twitter talk by losers who search hashtags looking for wrongspeak to brigade.

>I miss TL notes
Me too

Attached: 14845053116.jpg (1280x720, 224K)

Yeh, in the US, age plays no role whatsoever in power structure in schools. None at all.

I sure hope you aren't using a joke by one of the biggest memesubbers in the past as proof of why TL notes are bad.

Considering that there are people who still genuinely don't get the point of that scene and seriously argued that it's dumb because that move is against the rules, gg's TL is pretty important and indeed a good thing.

>Yes, I miss TL notes

Attached: 1537130018179.jpg (641x481, 66K)

>/kouhai/ means underclassmen
You're right, that would be a bad note considering the two words mean completely different things.

Don't do it. If you do it in dubs that's fine but subs should retain Japanese culture. In some other show a dude was wearing a tengu mask but the subs said goblin mask. How could you translate Japanese without knowing what a tengu is?

>my dude
I raffed at this one