Rumiko Takahashi's New Manga Series: Mao

>This year's 20th issue of Shogakukan's Weekly Shonen Sunday magazine revealed on Wednesday that Rumiko Takahashi (Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku, Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha, RIN-NE) will launch the tentatively titled MAO manga series in the 23rd issue on May 8. The story is set in a "land where two worlds intersect," and it centers on "a strange romance between a boy and girl who meet by fate."

Looks like Isekai Kino is back on the menu, boys.

Attached: mao.jpg (648x735, 156K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0i5SS2cDwlA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

this bitch is still alive?

She's probably retiring after this one because Rinne was shit.

I doubt she'll ever officially retire even though she's over 60 years old by now.

Hack queen.

Is that a guy or a girl? Also I hope we don't get another normal girl female protagonist. She nails her male leads but her female leads are always boring

It has boobs so probably a girl, which I would be down for, she looks like a badass.

Holy shit how has her art not improved at all

Do people normally "improve" after they've reached old age? It looks like her regular style, which is fine.

I have no problem with her lines and style but the coloring is terrible.

Why does it look like one of those american How to Draw Manga covers?

NOTInuyashaXKenshin can fuck right off.
The old hag needs to retire

Does anyone know what Takahashi's thoughts on Ranma 1/2 were? I remember reading somewhere that she doesn't think highly of it.

She probably realized how many fucking fetishes she accidentally attracted.

Also why the fuck did Ranma never get a full adaption yet Inuyasha did?

so does that mean rinne is over?

Actually cool.

I feel the opposite kinda
I liked Rinne more when Sakura was the protagonist. Kagome was shit though.

Just write martial arts
Panels upon panels of ridiculous fighting WITHOUT reaction panel after reaction panel of useless character saying "he DID THAT THING" and "got him!" and "NANDATTO?!"

>" and it centers on "a strange romance between a boy and girl who meet by fate."
So the very same shit, I'll read it anyway, so fuck me.

>it's a fucking isekai
OH YEAH BABY

I think Takahashi finally realized with Kagome that female tsunderes are fucking annoying, and she wanted to try a more mellow main character like Kikyo.

Attached: 1233435456678.jpg (720x834, 132K)

>going from 45m to 3m
>crashing and burning this hard
Yikes, what the fuck happened to who was literally Japan's #1 best selling mangaka, to where she could compete against fucking One Piece?

Attached: rip.png (862x425, 89K)

>a strange romance between a boy and girl who meet by fate."
How long is she going to tell the same story over again?

Wow I never realized her art was shit

>only taking one year break after Inuyasha

Attached: what the fuck.jpg (294x327, 65K)

>The story is set in a "land where two worlds intersect," and it centers on "a strange romance between a boy and girl who meet by fate."
how does she keep getting away with writing the same thing every serialization?

"I don't think about those things and neither should you."

She didn't even take a break in-between Ranma and Inuyasha, and Ikkoku/Tatsura and Ranma.

Weren't those ALL weekly releases? What the fuck is wrong with her?

Attached: akko.png (400x400, 199K)

Rinne finished in September last year at 40 volumes.

Let her experience her love fantasy, at least trough her manga.

As far as I remember, she only took a single break (that wasn't the magazine not being sold that week) in her entire career during early Rinne.

>The story is set in a "land where two worlds intersect," and it centers on "a strange romance between a boy and girl who meet by fate."
So, the exact same story she's been writing her whole career with a fresh coat of paint?

Probably how she keeps herself distracted from the fact that she's stale cake and has been her whole life

Just let her assistants do everything, also filler arcs in fucking manga lol

I want to go back in time and save her from this fate.

Just jump in a well user.

I missed her, but the premise of the story seems generic and overused.
Is she trying to bait the Inuyasha audience?

its not too late

It depends on whether it's a pure comedy or have a more serious tone.

>Is she trying to bait the Inuyasha audience?
Given Rinne sales, what do you think?

no that's literally every story she writes

I doubt she gives any shit about sales at this point in her life.

Because Ranma wasn’t as popular as Inuyasha was even though it was a entry level anime for anyone who was a 90’s teen.

Plus, it’s pretty dated now. Maybe we will get an cour for nostalgiafags and they will see if they will make more of that based on the reception.

Well it certainly can't be for the fun of it if she's writing the exact same story again and again.

She writes whatever she feels like, she could have retired way before inuyasha.

Are there tits and ass this time?

Sounds a lot like Inuyasha but I'm a fool for Rumiko manga so I'm in regardless if its a copy or not.

Once a jew always a jew

What would it be like if Rumiko Takahashi wrote an isekai?

She needs to get back into making seinen manga. The quality of storytelling between her shounen works with her seinen ones is ridiculous.

Maybe she, I don't know, likes writing these stories?

She did with Inuyasha.

I-It's not isekai if you call it time travel!

Rinne was lacking in any originality, despite some people claiming that it was "comfy". Felt more like she was riding the times instead of making them.

I hope this new series is good and weird. Besides that, I'd like to see Ranma finish getting animated in OVA or TV series format.

Attached: Soun Genma Happosai woodblock.jpg (426x424, 63K)

She has more than one? Because maison ikkoku has the exact same issues all her works have.

She could have opted for a shounen a la Ranma 1/2 if that was the case, and wiring a story in a realistic modern setting doesn't even require research.

she needs to accidentally make a new fetish to actually be popular again

>card captor sakura getting rebooted
>fruits basket getting rebooted
>ranma 1/2 getting ???

Attached: 1445944518383.jpg (228x392, 53K)

>over a decade ago
>see ranma 1/2 manga in bookstores
>from the makers of inuyasha
Does anyone remember getting annoyed by this?

Attached: RanmaVolume1.png (781x1181, 1.54M)

I'd worry about a reboot. What if it runs out of steam, and they never get to volume 22-38, like the first time?

I'd prefer a continuation.

Aim for about 1985, after she starts Mermaid Saga but while she's still otako-cute.

Attached: toritaka2.jpg (252x321, 48K)

Wasn't there some dude she broke up with in the 80's that made her super salty, and she created Ataru in his image?

She probably sees no readon to deviate or improve since it's a style that's become her "trademark" decades ago.

Probably not, Urusei Yatsura was her first series, 1978.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but according to the articles I'm reading, the first chapter is ready to go, as well as the first episode is ready to air also?

Ranma got popular when the Internet anime fandom was in its infancy and was the most popular anime until Pokémon came. I remember checking up senpai pages on AniPike. I also remember the biggest fan fiction was that college fic. Inuyasha came at a perfect time because it rode that supernatural wave in the late 90s/early 00s and VIZ promoted it heavily l, especially for the Ranma 1/2 fans. Then Toonami happened.

>remember going on a pokemon site decades ago on a shitty 56k model using AOL
>remember the .midi theme music that played on that site
>never forgot that theme because it was so catchy and memorable, but didn't know where it came from at all
>over a decade later found out it was the ranma OP theme
>mfw

Attached: 1476166460523.jpg (311x296, 26K)

>ready to air

That's not possible, little user.

Unlike other mangaka who are past their prime like Togashi, she genuinely likes drawing manga. She is fucking rich and has no heirs. No reason to keep slaving away in the manga business other than wanting to tell comfy stories.

Why does Togashi hate drawing manga?

More like he doesn't care anymore. Takahashi is older than him, and you don't see her pulling shit like a page full of text. Not to mention the hiatus.
Togashi is an old fart overrated by a manga that is no longer as good as Yea Forums wants to believe.

It used to be the norm in manga. A lot of people from her era kept up the weekly pace for decades.

Were there as many series running back then as there are now?

Why didn't she find a mangaka husbando like Sailor Moon did?

Takahashi should retire at this point, its clear she cant do an interesing series anymore

He got a sweet deal with Jump that lets him do whatever he wants.

I dont think she is into men

Why didn't she find a mangaka waifu like epik haitus man did?

>everybody's talking about Rumiko's new series
>No discussion of Fukuchi's new series
Fukuchi's new series looks cute as shit.

That's exactly how you can tell it's just for fun, it's the same self-indulgent theme she always writes. Shinkai too never needs to diverge from the boy-meets-girl-and-its-usually-bittersweet theme he makes all the time and thus he just makes the same shit over and over again because he wants to.

Probably same reason Tom Cruise still claims to be straight

Isn't Togashi's back broken in half or something along those lines?
I remember reading about him being half dead at this point.

Attached: 1391641743263.png (640x480, 309K)

Rumiko is the richest woman in Japan.

>Rumiko Takahashi is still drawing manga
Jesus Christ do Japs ever know when to retire? You would think that after so many hits years ago she you would have enough money to retire. Cause shit manga is not something you want to do when old.

When you're old and rich you can do whatever the fuck you want to, including shit manga.

Sheet even back in the day she looked like a crazy cat lady. To be fair a female making Shonen manga must not be right in the head.

>you must be a boy to write shonen manga
What about all the women making seinen manga?

CAN RANMA HAVE KIDS ARE NOT

Pretty funny seeing this cause in my country Ranma 1/2 was popular as fuck.

Mexico?

Puerto Rico.

>and it centers on "a strange romance between a boy and girl who meet by fate."
Hmm, let me guess. The boy will be a gruff asshole and the girl will be an annoying tsundere. They will dance around for volumes upon volumes of will they/won't they bullshit before finally hooking up at the very end.

To be fair I'm surprised that Takahashi work was popular in Shonen magazines cause while her art is pretty Shonen her love centric stories are not something I would consider Japanese boys to enjoy. I mean sheet like Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha for example are clearly more centered on the female heroine to the point that they feel like Rumiko's self insert.

Because a shit ton of those were heavily inspired by her older series.

She's like Adachi except way less talented as a writer and artist.

>I mean sheet like Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha for example are clearly more centered on the female heroine
>Ranma 1/2
Are you talking about Ranma himself? Because I'm pretty sure he got more screen time than Akane.

Who gives a shit about talent as long as you became fucking rich because of it?

But the audience surrogate was Akane not Ranma. I mean what boy would want to be a dude that turns into a chic...

You know what maybe you right. Maybe you right.

>her love centric stories are not something I would consider Japanese boys to enjoy
I'm pretty sure guys love that stuff. Especially if there are lewd moments.

I wonder if Takahashi looks at the various genderbender manga out there, that exist almost solely for fetish-fuel, and has to contemplate that "yep. I wrote that shit for nine years."

Especially with stuff like Rin-ne being so bland and milquetoast. I'm sure she feels some innate embarrassment.

Adachi would be an actually good writer if he didn't keep fucking himself over with his shitty "humor".

As for Takahashi, she was at her peak with Rumiko Theater. Fuck all her fantasy shit.

Adachi's also rich though.

Her genderbender story is the only one I like. Other mangaka make it too weird and sexual.

Rinne is her only embarrassment, worse than her oneshots even.
What the fuck were the edits thinking, just end it 50 chapters earlier and it wouldn't be that shit.

Adachi wishes any of his series were as good as UY and MI.

>and it centers on "a strange romance between a boy and girl who meet by fate."
Truly shocking, I could never have foreseen this.

But they actually are.

>it centers on "a strange romance between a boy and girl who meet by fate."
wow, really stepping out of her wheelhouse here

You'll never get any of Rumiko's older series pushed in a big way while she's still working, since she always prefers to push her current work.

>I mean what boy would want to be a dude that turns into a chic...
Yea Forums

Some can be good and actually tried to explore the concept more than Ranma at times.

Attached: 1551810986620.jpg (597x597, 149K)

I read The Law of Ueki (and Plus) when it came out in my country, but after that I was unable to follow him anymore, I remember him doing a monthly series about ping pong which wouldn't get regular scans and I have no idea what he did after that. He hasn't been published in my country for the last decade either.

WHY is Rumiko's stuff so popular with spics of all kinds?

Attached: 12.jpg (379x427, 120K)

Anne McCaffrey wrote the same fucking dragon book like 30 times. Not everyone works out of their comfort zone.

It wasn't uncommon for mangaka to not only have consecutive weeklies with little to no downtime, but to run multiple series simultaneously. For example, in 1967 Ishinomori had 6 manga running at the same time. I think he averaged something like 3 simultaneous series per year for most of his career up until the late 80s, partially because Cyborg 009 ran so long.

It's really a wonder anything salvageable came out of the 50s-80s.

Attached: 1543240503048.jpg (1159x1650, 409K)

I don't think about it and neither should you.

Kajiwara wrote the best manga of all time while also making another amazing manga.

Attached: Ashita_no_Joe.jpg (499x486, 54K)

Honestly he's just a strong visual storyteller and artist in general. I always love the silent scene transition pages becuase he draws some really comfy urban environments.

Ranma had routine titty shots, pinup style covers, slapstick comedy, and lots of fighting. You could not make a more perfect series for teenage boys.

That wont fly today, SJWs will give her shit for objectifying her female characters.

What if it's Ranma though?

Have you looked at what shonen magazines publish these days? No one gives a fuck about that shit. Takahasi's art is so old fashioned people wouldn't even realize it was supposed to be ecchi.

Takahashi is a woman, they will go with the argument of "You're one of us you shouldn't expose women this way" I'm serious this is 100% going to happen.

>romance
what a fucking basic bitch holy shit, why does she keeps rehashing the same plot devices for over 30 years like this?

to be fair 80% of manga is that

Fuck you I get money

Posting sexiest Rumiko Takahashi girl

Attached: 41155247_334855250413255_6700728083283112469_n.jpg (620x620, 55K)

Good thing the elevens, especially the female ones, don't give a shit about what western retards think.

Because it's unironically still better than 80% of the shit churned in the Love Hina era. When romcoms became too scared of introducing anything that even might hint the possibility of an unfavorable outcome for the MC is when everything went to shit. For better or for worse, Takahashi really liked giving shit to her MCs, but that made them entertaining.

She likes more money for less effort? She found a formula and she's milking it. Her audience and editors seem none the wiser. Personally I liked her older episodic works. She's terrible with overarching plots or any sense of tension.

Attached: 1554160329223.gif (480x360, 1.75M)

I don't remember Akane nor Kagome getting shat on much if at all.

Akane was a cancer that shouldnt have happened.

Did you read Rinne? She arguably went too far down the episodic route and most of the second half of the series is made of one- or two-chapter stories. It was fun seeing what she'd come up with every week but it left little room for anything even slightly complex.

They're not the MCs

Akane was not that bad. Ranma pushed her buttons on purpose.

The way the character in OP's pic looks makes me think Rumiko's gonna go kamikaze with this one and pull a super deep story. She can actually write interesting characters so I only hope the plot would be as good.
Also I hope the villain will actually be well written for once.

You think it's going to have a more serious tone? I guess the description doesn't sound like a comedy, so we'll see.

If that's the MC, male or female, the setting will probably be dark. It's literally borderline Shadow the Edgehog OC donut steel levels of dark.

The design reminds me of Herb.

Ah yeah, it does. And although the character's face is drawn the way she usually draws males, I think those are unequivocally breasts.

That art is unironically shit

I'll cut her some slack since she's an old lady who still writes and draws every week.

Hands are too big

That's not Kikyo

Attached: kikyou.gif (500x375, 1009K)

Unless I'm looking at the wrong part, I think that's just sleeves of his right arm.

How can you go from THIS to her reincarnation?

too sad, also old hag

Dunno, looks a bit weird. I wish we had a clean image without the text.

>she needs to accidentally make a new fetish to actually be popular again

yuri will be her ultimate test but it would bring her back to the top again.

>card captor sakura getting rebooted

You mean a continuation last year and they are planning a second season next year if it's planned for winter next year.

Is this reverse day? Rumiko is a influential mangaka, but none of her works, especially the recent ones can be compared to Togashi oeuvre. Her strong point are characters, she was never one for stories. And honestly the trademark vaudeville gags and the boke and tsukkomi routines really shows their age. Say what you will about his work ethic, the endless hiatus, but he's not the one stuck in time recycling material.

Pretty funny if you consider the previous shows had a complete adaptation (UY and MI)

I say this as both a yurifag and a Takahashifag, she will never do yuri. It's already an herculean task for her not to hint at any sort of homosexual relationship or tension as a complete joke and I don't think she should ever try if she's uncomfortable with it.

No wonder Inuyasha wanted to literally die for several chapters after she was actually killed.

>>ranma 1/2 getting ???
sequel, next generation. there's no way a reboot would work.

Or another UY. But I find it hard she can recreate the magic of the original.

It's challenge but I'm sure she'll do it because of modern day settings.

Spend time off the Internet.

Who knows. The creative background behind the manga of Urusei Yatsura is surrounded by a lot of rumors, some of them true and others not.
That could be true and explain the chemistry between Ataru and Shinobu, or the original idea of Ataru having to deal with the alien of the week instead of Lum being the heroine.

I don't think she is connected enough with modern culture to resonate with current day audiences.

>I think Takahashi finally realized with Kagome that female tsunderes are fucking annoying

How can she realize something that isn't true.

Tom Cruise is not gay, he's just into something else, something weirder.
You're thinking of John Travolta, he joined the scientology because they told him they could cure his homosexuality.

Rinne was already modern-day and the one gay character it had, Matsugo, was portrayed as eternally confused about how to express his friendship for Rinne and he kept obliviously making advances at him rather than his feelings ever being taken seriously. There was never a gay couple or character even among the 100+ one-shot clients Rinne solved cases for, so it's not something she writes lightly. Actually I think the deepest portrayal of a gay character she ever had was Jakotsu in Inuyasha, and he was a mass murderer. Also a transvestite in one of her one-shot short stories who was portrayed positively.

>but none of her works, especially the recent ones can be compared to Togashi oeuvre.

Lol what.

You're high out of your goddamn mind if you think Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter are anywhere near Urusei Yatsura, Ranma, and Inuyasha. And I say this as someone who loves YYH.

Inuyasha 2 huh. Did Rinne ever decide to form a story? I liked the characters but Rinne's dad is basically happosai but with money and every fucking thing involved him being an annoying piece of shit and it got real old real fast.

How did Rinne end?

No, she just eventually explained what happened to Rinne's mother and introduced her (reincarnation). By the end of the series, the dangling relatioships between some of the main characters do get tied up (like Rinne X Sakura and Kain X Renge), but Sabato gets away with a slap on the wrist.

Let me rephrase, tsundere female characters of Akane and Kagome's caliber are absolute shit.

I hope that's a girl and not a boy since the latter would guarantee another shitty Akane/Kagome clone.

Most of her short stories fall into seinen or just barely stay in shounen and I honestly wish she would extend some of them, even if by like 10 chapters at most. The mermaid saga is a favorite I'd like some more of

Still wrong.

Attached: 6522789_p0.jpg (800x1101, 288K)

>actually hating Akane
You bunch of fags.

Yikes

Attached: 1551197255327.jpg (811x879, 78K)

You'd think by now they'd realize the Double Tsundere is the best possible romantic comedy setup.

Attached: 558697aad8e93b15e94c7215eac055bd.jpg (600x400, 162K)

I wouldn't put Kagome in the same tier as Akane unless you only watched the anime which made her bitchier in a few scenes. For instance, unlike Akane, Kagome actually admits to being in love with Inuyasha before the halfway point. From then on, her less mellow moments only really happen when Kikyo is around and she eventually admits she was being unfair to her. Then there's obviously the difference in the respective endings.

It's not just that user, I like Akane as a person in general. Her tsundere attitude is perfect.

You haven't actually read Ranma 1/2 have you.

Ranma is the one causing problems by being in denial about his feelings, not Akane.

>but Sabato gets away with a slap on the wrist.

Should have launched him into the sun and then into the wheel to do away with him forever. Did best girl Ageha move on from Rinne?

Yes I have. Akane still constantly denies her feelings herself up to the last few volumes.

I like double tsundere but I don't like uninteresting abusive bitches. Also her hairstyle is terrible.

Double tsundere is great, but Akane A SHIT

>Akane still constantly denies her feelings herself up to the last few volumes.

What chapters than?

Because once you pass the Ryugenzawa arc there's basically none of that on Akane's end.

Akane's not even a textbook tsundere. You can probably count the times she's mad at Ranma for no reason on your fingers and every other time its not just his fault but him egging her into it. But when he's not being an asshole and she's not been aggravated by him they're really cute together. There's even a whole song about their dynamic, the ballad from the OVAs that sums it up perfectly

>abusive

Right I see the problem. Those stories you read were bad fanfic, not transcripts of episodes.

someone teach her to draw her characters doing fortnite dances so the zoomers will read her comics

>not just his fault but him egging her into it.

Are you a woman by any chance? Because that is such a woman argument to make.
What about self control? Even if Ranma is acting like a retard, you do know that's not a pass for Akane to stoop to his level and act in a similarly cunty way, right?

To be fair, who hasn't tried to kill or almost killed Ranma at least once in the series?

What does that have to do with anything?

>What about self control?
They live in a universe that runs off slapstick rules.

I am a man. They are both retarded teenagers

They have a lot of calm characters in that universe, your point is invalid.

That it's seen as comedy. It's like complaining that Naru is a bitch just because she beats the shit out of Keitaro. Nobody cares about that in world and neither should you.
Fucking Kasumi almost killed him once.

>They have a lot of calm characters in that universe, your point is invalid.

What does that have to do with anything? Ranma is more hot tempered and violent than Akane so is he a psychopath?

No, Ranma follows the slapstick comedy act, BUT the fact that calm characters exist in the story is proof that a calm behavior is possible.
If everyone was a hotheaded tsundere, then you would have been right, but it's not the case. So Akane herself is capable of acting like a rational girl, she's just a cunt.

You do realize that even "Calm" characters will bean people over the head if they're annoyed, right?

>So Akane herself is capable of acting like a rational girl,

Akane is a rational girl.

So is Ranma a cunt for all the time he's a hotheaded tsundere who picks fights with people? (FYI Akane doesn't pick fights)

>So is Ranma a cunt
Yes.
But we're not talking about him here, we're talking about Akane and how cunty she is.
>Akane is a rational girl.
Reacting with anger to problems LITERALLY means that you're stupid.

Have you ever made an annoyed comment about someone doing something that bothered you?

Because that's the equivalent of Akane's actions.

Rumiko's the kind of mangaka whose art/ideas/skill is stuck in a past era.
Luckily she's famous enough that magazines will keep giving her a chance regardless

Sequel but reintroduce everyone in the first episode with a filler episode, then continue from where it previously ended.

Her last manga sold millions.

>that hair

Kagome was literally her self-insert, huh.

Akane still causing infinite butthurt

You can stop posting now, uncute girl.

We need a Ranma sequel featuring her loli form

Attached: 1552427416577.png (800x1200, 96K)

Finds a way.

>just found out about Ranma's "ending"
I want to fucking die, why did it turn out like this?

This is actually one of my worries as well. She's also rich as fuck now, so how often does she actually get new story ideas from personal hardships?

Akane is not Tsundere. She's actually nice to people most of the time.

Ranma just pushes her buttons all the time cuz he's an idiot. If anything, HE'S the Tsun.

Attached: Ranma cat pur.jpg (540x389, 36K)

>Implying both Ranma and Akane are not big dummies in love, prone to violence, competitiveness, and also annoyed with constant sexual advances of others.

They are literally made for each other.

Attached: posing Akane.jpg (795x831, 240K)

TV series or Manga ending?

The manga ending is mostly fine, and implies they do get married. If you are hard up, you could check out the fan video that was made in Febuary for a fan event in Japan.

youtube.com/watch?v=0i5SS2cDwlA

Attached: 50827426_119264552473120_5565491425786705383_n.jpg (900x900, 130K)

This, Fukuchi's certainly an author to look out for. Made many great works like Ueki and Saike.

>Febuary for a fan event in Japan.
This was the event teased last year that, supposedly, would conclude Ranma?

>land where two worlds intersect,
animegirleyeroll.png

I didn't hear anything about the event being teased or hinted at. This was mostly a fan circle event.

Though, the theme of it specifically being Ranma and Akane's wedding was interesting.

I'm liking Saike.
Never read the other one yet though.

I’m more interested in the new series by the author of Saiki and law of ueki.

If you're interested, Ueki's a great read too. Though I'd say it specializes more in fights while Saike's more on characterization. Not that it's bad in that department though, just not godly characterization like Saike.