Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F4eEGeqC-8M
youtube.com/watch?v=A_BmnoU_ARw
youtube.com/watch?v=OAVLq961tWc
youtube.com/watch?v=WW3tOSWx32I
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>inb4 contrarian neckbeards calling it mainstream
>inb4 "getter robo was first faggot"

None of those things undermine TTGL's impact and legacy.

It’s a good show, but heavily flawed. It relies to much on hype moments to sell itself and it laid the foundations for the flawed formula of Trigger shows (that being: “let’s blow our load in the first few episodes with overblown hype moments so that everything else feels underwhelming”).

There's plenty of hype moments throughout the series, though. Also, it actually has a good story with interesting themes all throughout.

>“let’s blow our load in the first few episodes with overblown hype moments so that everything else feels underwhelming”).
But that's the opposite. TTGL is a steady spiral into larger absurdity every episode. That's the entire theme of the show.

>blow our load in the first few episodes
>40%

Attached: 40%.jpg (463x341, 40K)

TTGL is a gainax show.
The only weak point is one shit ep, 4 or 5 don't remember, the rest is just pure flawless masterpiece.

>Unsurpassed to this day, for sure.
Its a fun show for sure, but I wouldn't go that far.

I watched it for the first time last year. It's definitely incredible hype

Attached: Simon the Digger.gif (540x304, 1.92M)

DESU

Oh no.

I love TTGL but I gotta admit the side characters that weren't Viral sucked. Would be a 10/10 if they were more involved/interesting.

youtube.com/watch?v=F4eEGeqC-8M

>So this is the power of the spiral... Not bad, not bad at all...

Attached: gr.jpg (941x720, 58K)

Is it an unpopular opinion to like both Getter Robo and Gurren Lagann?

Attached: fuckphysics.jpg (613x460, 62K)

I just rewatched it the other day. Perfect show. Love the twists and turns it takes after "Abayo, Dachiko." Makes me feel like I can do anything.

Attached: [DB]Gurren Lagann_-_26_(Dual Audio_10bit_BD1080p_x265).mkv_snapshot_18.26_[2018.10.08_23.07.08].jpg (1116x628, 242K)

I used to not really like Simon but I feel I can relate to his low moments a lot. From literally the most pathetic creature in the universe to the greatest hero in history, and getting there purely with fighting spirit.

Attached: [DB]Gurren Lagann_-_11_(Dual Audio_10bit_BD1080p_x265).mkv_snapshot_03.55_[2018.09.23_00.49.38].jpg (1116x628, 253K)

Alright Yea Forums It's time to break the you know what.

Attached: d9bic4x-65e00a4a-e5bc-432c-8ec5-cffce9c42b76.jpg (700x393, 76K)

I hate newfags.

I dropped this show after like the sixth or seventh episode cause I was bored of it.
Came back to it maybe half a year later and realised what a gigantic mistake dropping it was. What the fuck are you talking about?

ITT: Overrated shit.

How do I into Getter?

Read the manga (Getter Robo, GR G, GR Go, Shin GR, and GR Arc in that order). Unfortunately it ended on a cliffhanger but it's well worth it, though the core of it is quite different from Gurren Lagann. The anime series are mostly just fanservice and not nearly as good or coherent as the manga.

SEETHING

GATTAI

definetly, based

Watching it right now for the 4th or so time and Kamina is just about to die

Hold me, bros ;_;

Getter Robo is far superior.
Thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=A_BmnoU_ARw

Attached: Getter-Robo-Go-06-0005.png (816x1300, 344K)

As a GRfag , it is vastly inferior to TTGL due to not being MAX HYPE on purpose.

>getter robo
>not MAX HYPE
The final volume of Go manages to combine hype and horror flawlessly, and the ending is nothing short of beautiful.

Attached: Getter-Robo-Go-07-0158-0159.png (1640x1296, 735K)

>in the final issue

That's my problem exactly. GR only becomes CRAZY hype in the last volume while TTGL embodies hype since the beginning and at the end it becomes balls-to-the-wall insane.

People often compare the two works enterely for the plot, but plot is just one of the elements that gattais to make TTGL into TTGL.

I should watch Getter some time. I hear it has dinosaurs, and anything with dinosaurs in it is automatically great.

Having a large scale doesn't automatically equal hype. Getter's more of a slow burn, sure, but the far more compelling cast makes the hype more rewarding. Ishikawa's visceral, manly art style also helps.

same, slept on it for the 12 years since it had come out and probably now my new favorite.
pros of seeing it finally in 2019: it's that much riper and sweeter to finally see
cons: also get to experience kamina's death for the first time ;_;

Why are GRfags so damn insufferable?

TTGLfags are much worse. They shat up Yea Forums and /m/ when the series first aired.

>they talked about a cool thing when it was airing and I didn't like it
I miss 2007 Yea Forums

What are some other shows with hype moments like TTGL lads?

None, you've reached the peak of anime. It's all down hill from here.

Simon sounded really lame to me at first but after he moved on from Kamina's death he sounds really fucking awesome shouting in every scene

>I miss 2007 Yea Forums
of course you would. that's when the newfags invaded.

Attached: 1549414252723.png (600x667, 429K)

I dsagre; unlike Trigger's shows, Gurren Lagann actually delivered on those moments.

I love both too (but I like the Getter manga better).
On one hand Gurren Lagann takes a lot of elements from Getter Robo.
On the other Gurren Lagann's use of those elements is different (for example, unlike the Spiral Power, you can argue that the Getter energy is malevolent; it just happened to align itself with mankind because it was the race that it liked the most ) and Getter never really capitalized on it, with its anime adaptations being either Mazinger Z clones or original adaptations taking bits and chunks from the manga.

youtube.com/watch?v=OAVLq961tWc

Nothing compares.

This is one of my favorites, so I hate that it's mediocre like 90% of the time. The first episode would have been such a borefest with its pacing, but pic related alone makes it a contender for best first episodes
Same thing with the rest of the show. 2nd half was awful to watch through until something actually happens.

I never bothered to watch the movies but I'm going to guess they are probably much better than the anime if it cut down all the filler crap and awkwardly slow pacing.

Attached: big_1540065727_image.jpg (1280x720, 156K)

There's quite a few filler episodes like the ghost ship that honestly one could probably just skip and not have it matter at all, but it's all worth it every time it hits a climax (biggest one is chapter 23).
Music choreography with the classical orchestra music is fucking amazing since it actually matches with the action like it's supposed to, unlike with LoGH where the classical music is more passive and just for atmosphere (don't get me wrong though, the lack of it is why the newer LoGH adaptation feels lame). It is just as spine-chilling with the music, if not more so than LoGH since it's actually paced much better within the scenes itself.

Attached: [The_Irresponsible_Captain_TYLOR][TV][23v2][BDRip][1080P][X264_FLAC].mkv_snapshot_18.23_[2019.04.16_ (1440x1080, 103K)

You sound like one of those idiots who think that anime should be "mature, deep, profound and intellectual for people mature, deep, profound and intellectual for people like myself" and are ashamed of liking a childish super robot show.
You should go back with your hipster friends and keep fellating Technolyze instead of yelling "I liked it.. BUT IT WAS SO SHIT, SO SHIT, SO ABSOLUTELY SHIT!"

It is amusing how much hate it gets now considering how huge it was on the chans when it first aired.

In terms of sheer hype, nothing really compares.

Holy shit I completely forgot about "40%".

Be Invoked.

>Blow our load in the first few episodes
>Series ends with robots throwing galaxies at each other

lol he is complaining the show was too slow and had too much filler. That's the opposite of a what a pretentious hipster would do he is clearly low attention span and wanted more robot action.

Except for the fact that it has neither impact nor legacy to undermine, specifically in relation to its parent genre.

Attached: Mecha references.jpg (1920x1080, 413K)

Really? It was only really hated (by /m/ mostly) back when normalfags wouldn't shut up about it, mostly because they scream about how it's the best mecha show ever when they've watched maybe 5 in total. Now that normalfags have moved on to other shows I hardly see the same reaction these days.

SRW OG had better references though.

Attached: SRW OG.jpg (707x1000, 223K)

I see it a lot but whether it is monkey see do, ebic trolling or all around copy paste funposting I will not speculate.

GL had a headstart due to combining 3 decades worth of mecha into its being, including elements that Getter Robo never had.

Attached: team_dai_gurren_by_m24designs-d6mv9az.png (1920x1080, 2.73M)

Include the other Volcano eruption background series while you're at it.

Attached: Hot-Blooded Strongest Go-saurer.png (1179x1500, 3.95M)

The bottom one had something to represent it though, like the Ideon Gauge.

Attached: SGR-GL.gif (480x480, 3.81M)

>finally see and finish show
>traverse annals of sadpanda history to go back in time to ttgl doujins

>Let's blow our load in the first few episodes
But the show is better post-time skip

Pretty much a 10/10. Very well directed, I don't what the fuck Imaishi lost in all of his other shows.

>OP plays during final fight
Meh, it's been done before in other shows. TTGL doing it means it's derivative garbage, even if it's self-aware. Also all the shows it takes influence from were born out of the void and weren't derivative from anything.

That's how you sound.

Attached: 9854679452645.jpg (1116x628, 287K)

watch more anime, especially if you just NOW watched this

Most people that shit on TTGL are usually people that have had all fun sucked out of them, contrarians for the sake of it or shitposters. The show and the movies were hype as fuck, the TTGL threads on Yea Forums during the airing were amazing and the show still holds up today. It's like people feel the need to bash it because Imaishi worked on it, or because Trigger/Gainax are shit nowadays. It was an excellent show, regardless of what it paid homage to or evolved from.

It's 50% pretentious dickheads, 50% reactionary posters who hate that it was the most popular Mecha show in the anime fandom from 2007 till about the mid 10's

It's not like TTGL is lowest common denominator garbage either. For all the talk about how it's super popular, people who don't "get" anime complain about it a lot from my experience.
"Why did Kamina have to die so early?" "The logic in the show just makes no sense" "The pacing is bad" etc.
TTGL is a love letter to anime tropes and the evolution of the mecha genre so you think it'd be something most people on Yea Forums would love but people shit on it for this mecha purist meme. It's an outspoken minority though, I'm sure.

Of course, being derivative doesn't mean it's garbage by default. Otherwise the same would go for Megas XLR, SRW (OG), or just about everything that's a homage to something or just takes stuff from it.

They put effort into their references, and that paid off.

The only thing I actually dislike about the show is its choice of OP and ED songs.

OP is fucking great but the two ED songs were pretty fucking underwhelming. it was kind of jarring to see the regular ED roll at the end of the last episode like usual, was hoping for something better

Gurren Lagann, not so good

Attached: 8gsa5NB.gif (247x248, 966K)

I really don't agree due to the lyrical content not being directly connected to the show and sounding like one of those throwaway J-pop OP's that's popularly used in most anime.

Not to mention a lot of the other mecha songs made by the likes of JAM Project and other established anison stars smoking it in comparison.

It's just boring for the 2nd quarter

believe in the getter youtube.com/watch?v=WW3tOSWx32I

Attached: getter.jpg (1057x742, 76K)

Get rid of that unsightly abomination, this stuff is out in HD now.

Attached: Getter Team.png (1440x1080, 1.16M)

Simon had the hottest transformation in any coming of age anime

this is how you know Yea Forums is dead. random ttgl thread and no one replies

When I rewatch should I watch it subbed?
I've only seen it dubbed and their voices are so fitting.

Attached: Gurren Lagann - 1x03 - Who Do You Think You Are, Having Two Faces!! [1080p][x265].mkv_snapshot_16.35 (982x1080, 969K)

And here's exactly why I prefer Getter to gurren: Getter rays aren't malevolent, they just represent evolution, which is a random process. Instead of mindlessly glorifying it and claiming that evolution will be a solution to evolution itself, Getter presents the opportunity that evolution will fuck you over in the long run with no possibility of recovery, and that at the same time not embracing evolution means being left behind.

I also like that non-canon scene in which Benkei, slowly becoming one with the Shin Dragon, gets told that the getter rays have chosen humanity because getter and humanity both share the desire to 'climb the mountain and look at what's beyond it'. These things give a bit more nuance to Getter Rays compared to spiral power.

Attached: p.png (853x480, 620K)

Aesthetically maybe Mob or KLK. I mean nothing really though can live up to the hype of TTGL.

there will never be an anime as good as ttgl. a perfect combination of insane hype and tightly interwoven mature themes. its just too good

That's what makes the series so fucking rad.
You think Kamina is this rising star, before you realize he never had a "rock bottom", he had always held his head high. All along, it was Simon who truly started from nothing, which almost makes it seem obvious that Kamina would die from the beginning.

Katanagatari, hands down.
It's much less hype, but just as epic and memorable.

Attached: add0fe.gif (400x224, 1.39M)

finale was the hypest part though

truthfully I dropped the series around the middle, before finishing it a couple weeks later after being nagged to by a friend. it is amazing, but the middle episodes are weak

Does anyone have a list of mecha series that Gurren Lagann references?

Wynaut both?

I guess you don't remember it very well.

Attached: 1379399418307.gif (260x146, 2.84M)

I have one that I still count because I learn of more and more references, but aside Gunbuster/Diebuster, Evangelion, and Getter Robo there's (counting the movies):
Mazinger Z
Great Mazinger
Steel Jeeg
Gaiking
Combattler V
Zambot 3
Ideon
Macross
G Gundam
Gundam X
Layzner
Patlabor
GaoGaiGar
Japanese Transformers (technically not exactly mecha but it's w/e)
Zone of the Enders (a video game series)
Go-Saurer

That should be a fairly long enough list, there's also lots of non-mecha but also classic series there that I didn't include like Captain Harlock and the like but that should be fine.
And again, the list is still expanding.

Gainax. I'm not even kidding. Gainax was the glue that holds all of it together. Imaishi was just one of the many cogs that made it work.

By watching or reading it, I would assume

>the best coming-of-age story ever
>hot as fuck girls
>mechas piloted by mechas piloted by mechas
>galaxy shurikens

What a fucking ride indeed.

Unfortunately its all downhill from there for you. I have never been as satisfied watching a show from start to finish for the past decade.

>so colorful and loud *_* omg big things and yelling :OOO gurren lagann is soooo good, rip kamina ;_; lol row row fight the power XD

Here, now cease these low quality uploads.

Attached: [Commie] Gurren Lagann The Movie - Childhood's End [BD 1080p FLAC] [55A4A935]_001_3245.png (1920x1080, 1.91M)

Yep, Getter Rays deal with the raw concept of evolution.

Another thing about Kamina though, he always got the last laugh in the end when everyone mocked his ideas (thanks to Simon being the key but still):
Going to the surface
Hijacking a Gunman
Combining Gurren and Lagann
Capturing Dai-Gunzan.

TTGL lacks many good side characters though. Lots of them are either nobodies or stereotypes.

Oh hey, let's not forget how Viral's theme was literally patterned after Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory album, right down to their most used musical key signature (F#/Gb Major).
Points of Authority, in particular.

And then there's the fact that even in the show, with the sole exception of Lagann the team stole pretty much all the Gunmen they had, just like they blatantly took stuff from many different mecha series and put it into one.