EVA Newfag

I'm gonna take the plunge and watch this series that has been on my list for a very long time.

I know basically nothing about EVA other than there are a bunch of edits and movies and re-releases. I've also heard some episodes should be watched with the directors cut version and others without.

So Yea Forumsnalwarts, how do I watch this series "correctly"?

Attached: neon_genesis_evangelion.0.jpg (1200x800, 215K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nyaa.pantsu.cat/view/831686
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Movies are easy to get into.
See if you like the series.

you think I should watch those Rebuild feature length movies first?

Nope. Watch the series, and then End of Evangelion. The rebuild movies are basically shitty "HD Remakes" of the series.

It's your choice

cool, thanks user. I have seen some people suggest only watching the ep21 onwards in the Directors Cut, and some saying skip the last 2 episodes altogether and settle witht he movie cos its a "reimagining" of the ending. You give any weight to this, or is the series and movie together a fine package.

bump

Is reading a fucking wikipedia page that fucking hard
Why would you skip content
Why do we have this moronic thread so fucking often
Fucking neck yourself moron

yikes
user, just watch the anime and then EoE. Rebuilds if you feel like it. ggez

wew lad, on the rag today user?
fyi, it is not about a wiki page, it's about a difference of opinion.
Some fans say skip certain episodes, others say that by including them, you will appreciate howw well EoE recreates it.
Calm down fag.

see above regards difference of opinion.

newsflash, some opinions are shit

Release order, some people are retarded. Watch Rebuild at least a month after the originals so you don't spoil the original experience.

and which, pray tell, is the right opinion?
That is, after all, the point of the thread

cool, thanks user, will do. Do I need to watch the rebirth thingy?

No, it isn't necessary just extra stuff if you want.

wow, thanks user, I appreciate it. I assume rebirth is a recap for people who didn't remember stuff fromt he series as it pre-dates on-demand tv.

Yup. Recap films are an anime tradition after Gundam exploded in popularity after the recap films in 1980~ while the show was kind of a failure before then. 99.9% of the time they are worthless and you should just watch the series. Never trust someone who tells you to "just watch the recaps"

based helpful user

Okay, let me explain everything:
>Neon Genesis Evangelion Series episodes 01-26
The original series
>Neon Genesis Evangelion Director cut Episodes 21'-24'
Special editions of episodes 21-24 with some redrawns and added scenes. You can recognize them with the ' after the episode number. You dont need to watch the normal editions of epsodes 21-24 if you watch the Directors Cut
>End of Evangelion
Movie that (should) have ended the series, direct continuation of the anime series.

Together NGE 01-20 + 21'-24' + 25-26 + EoE are the full series people always talk about. There are multiple "releases" with different translations and visual quality, but the Sephirotic release is a very complete one people usually being with:
nyaa.pantsu.cat/view/831686

Additional shit:
>Death and Rebirth
Its a 2 part movie, Death being one, Rebirth being the other.
Death is a recap of the entire anime, released in preparation to EoE
Rebirth is the first half hour teaser of EoE.
>Rebuild of Evangelion
Series of "remake" movies currently being produced. We are still waiting for the 4th and final movie, but opinions on the Rebuilds are mixed at best. Its total shit if you get down to the details. You will probably want to watch that shitshow it somewhere along the line, but i recommend you to savor and understand NGE first before even thinking of touching the Rebuilds

The series as a whole is great, but The End of Evangelion is some next level shit. There is literally nothing like it in all of animation and it will fuck your brain.

Wow, based break down user, thank you. I suppose you are gonna smack me if I ask about dubs or subs?

Sounds promising. I saw a gif posted the other day of it, some big monsters emerging and I was enrapt by the art style alone. It's mind bending for the animation or for the story, as I hear the story is a literal mind fuck?

Subs, duh. Only 2 scenes in the last episode that works well on dub, mostly because they are meme-worthy, but you can just watch it on youtube later.

About animation. The series has great artstyle, but the animation itself isnt that great. Many stills. But the art is top tier. Excellent shot composition.
Same for EoE, but even better. Its a visual spectacle, but really because of the animation. Dont come expecting Red Line of One Punch Man Season 1 extreme fluid animations.

Also, some meta-spoilers about the story (themes and genre, not actual spoilers about events or characters)
its mostly a psychological drama in the middle of the worst situation possible. the story is very mind fucky, and the visuals match it perfectly.

cool ,thanks man. I aint looking fo rnu-animation, the stuff from teh 80's and 90's are impressive and I prefer it drawn-drawn rather than digital or Cg or whatever they use now.

exactly waht I am looking for.