Ending of Evangelion is an Incel Ending MASSIVE SPOILERS

The original ending of the Evangelion series was perfect. I had a friend try to tell me that the ending was cut short bcuz of budget constraints. And that the End of Evangelion movie was the REAL ending. However, I think this is horseshit. And I will argue that The End of Evangelion was a spiteful piece of garbage made specifically for a toxic fanbase that hounded the creator with death threats, demanding that he remake it.

If you are watching Evangelion, the original series, you are Shinji. You are the character of least experience, but maximum privilege. Shinji is an archetype of depression. He sleeps late, has no motivation, and rejects most responsibilities unless it helps a friend. Female viewers may also identify with Asuka or Rei, since they are archetypes of some basic young female personalities. The point is that these characters usually have NO idea what is going on with the bigger story line. Thus, the viewer is coupled with them for at least the first viewing. It is important to establish this concept of coupling the viewer with characters of least experience. When the ending of Evangelion gets existential and psychological, it is using Shinji, Asuka, Rei, and even Katsuragi as vessels to speak to the audience.

The original ending of the Neon Genesis essentially goes like this. All of humanity loses it's individual identities to form into a global consciousness. Part of what this process feels like, is that everybody's egos are breaking down and each character must confront and work out their most existential crisis's and fears. For example, in the case of Katsuragi, she must confront her sexual promiscuity; accepting the humiliation of others knowing what "dirty" acts excite her. Now, for simplicity, lets just focus on Shinji. Even if the viewer is female and might identify more closely with Asuka or Rei, I think that Shinji's fundamental flaw being depression is more universal. Basically, female viewers can identify with Shinji too....

Attached: endofeva.jpg (1920x1080, 173K)

Congratulations, you managed to make sure i didnt give a flying fuck what you wrote before i even finished reading the subject header.

Attached: 877235472542.gif (240x180, 2.6M)

>Incel
>bcuz
>privelege
>toxic
>...

jesus christ, i think i just got cancer skimming this post

Attached: 1528901917352.jpg (500x500, 159K)

is this the blog of some spoiled fag who was born after the 90s?

...So the finally breaks down Shinji's ego. Depression is probably one of the most existential crisis's one can have. It is a complete rejection of reality and an attempt to defect from it. Shinji hates himself, and feels unworthy of living. He finally shatters his ego be realizing that it is possible for him to try and love himself, and give his live greater meaning. That he now WANTS to be alive because he feels worth to do what he wishes. This is essentially what someone goes through reading individualist philosophy imo. It sounds so simple, yet it is such a deep revelation that it makes the difference between Shinji essentially wanting to live or die.

Now, because of the existence of later amendments to the Eva series, this ending gets interpreted as Shinji REJECTING "instrumentality"(the process of humanity evolving into one consciousness). Asuka as well. Asuka seems to play a role in inspiring Shinji's revelation of individual meaning. I think bcuz she is mostly and individual herself already. However, this idea of "rejecting instrumentality", as in reversing the process of collectifying humanity is not obvious AT ALL without the follow up series. Thus, one could reasonably argue that if I simply rejected The End of Evangelion movie, then I could very well interpret that Instrumentality indeed DID happen. Shinji's revelation was simply the experience of his ego breaking down.

Attached: shinji.jpg (1920x1080, 141K)

I was born in 88. I love this series. I hate the movie and think it was the product of a toxic fanbase.

>Gainax launched the project to create a film ending for the series in 1997, first releasing Death & Rebirth as a condensed character-based recap and re-edit of the TV series (Death) and the first half of the new ending (Rebirth, which was originally intended to be the full ending, but could not be finished due to budget and time constraints). The project was completed later in the year and released as The End of Evangelion.
>the first half of the new ending (Rebirth, which was originally intended to be the full ending, but could not be finished due to budget and time constraints).
It was literally unfinished. Go fuck yourself.

you are kinda there just ignore the seething brainlets, good analysis if a bit lackluster on the spiritual and esoteric layers, but psychologically you are pretty much on point

>congratulations OP clap* clap* clap*

I apologize to the board on behalf of everyone who was born in the 1980s. Please forgive us.

the TV ending is vastly superior to EOE but your blog is still cringe.

he's more of a 90's insufferable faggot than a real 80's boomer so it's fine

...So anyway. It ends up being a happy ending. Shinji is congratulated for growing up, taking responsibility for himself, no longer blaming others for his issues, forgiving his father, and loving himself. But something about this ENRAGED the at-the-time fanbase of Evangelion. They HATED IT. The creator was hounded with death threats. As I mentioned, a close friend of mine mentioned to me, that the original ending only was the way it was, bcuz of budget constraints. However, I looked into this. The wikipedia page alone(since there seem to be troves of info about the making of eva), seems to state pretty clearly that the creator defended the artistic integrity of the original ending. An apparent co-worker stated that budget cuts were never an issue, and that Anno "couldn't decide the ending until the time came, that's his style". There was not a manga predating this anime. It was being made up on the spot. This leads me to believe that whatever ending the creator produced AT THE TIME was the work that he intended it to be.

This immediately sparks my deep suspicion that The End of Evangelion series was a product pure demand. What kind of fanbase bcomes so enraged over a product they claim to love that they feel the need to issue DEATH THREATS to the creator, DEMANDING that he remake it? Granted, I have not seen these death threats myself. But this is a phenomenon that only now has bcome quite common place. I think the Steven Universe community has been known for being quite toxic.

But now... let's try to finishing this up with my opinion on The Ending of Evangelion the movie. An incel fan service.

Attached: ending.jpg (1920x1080, 111K)

It's just as much a discussion as it is a "blog". plz elaborate and discuss.

>muh shibboleths
yikes talk about a braincel

Hate to pop your bubble, but the majority of what you said has already been said ad nauseum as expected of a 20+ year old series. It also doesn't help that you keep using the word incel to bait some posters into reading your blog

If he wanted to put effort into posting, then he wouldn't have wrote that.

Whenever there is an amendment or addendum to any original series that I love, I immediately worry. They always end up changing small details that I tend to always find artistic value in. FFVII was a huge example of this.

Anyway... after watching the series a couple times over. I realized Gendo Ikari is one of my favorite characters. I loved how he never once relented to Shinji's demands for affection. Gendo's mission has always been more important than Shinji's childish feelings. This was not how I felt on the first viewing, but after understanding the larger plot, it makes sense. Attempting to undue something being done for the greater good of humanity simply out of childish angst is obviously in the wrong. Unless you are an incel who cannot grow up. Cannot accept responsibility for yourself. Continue to blame others for your problems. And hate your father unreasonably. Which is EXACTLY the type of person that The End of Evangelion was catered specifically to. If Shinji is a vessel for the audience, and the creator's audience was NOT satisfied with an ending that told them to grow up and accept responsibility, then he would give them the worst ending off a lifetime. Simultaneously, giving a toxic fanbase what they demanded, while sneaking in a hardy "FUCK YOU"....

Attached: incel.jpg (1920x1080, 191K)

just finish the fucking post you massive faggot or shut the fuck

Attached: komm süsser tod.jpg (1024x768, 76K)

The End of Evangelion movie starts of with Shinji masturbating to Asuka's unconscious body. INCEL! For the entire rest of the movie Shinji is being dragged around, being forced to cooperate bcuz he is sad. INCEL! Shinji's dad is absent for most of the movie, eventually shows weakness, defeat, and suffers a humiliating death; guess Shinji's dad wasn't so smart after all. INCEL! Throughout Shinji's existential hallucinations in this movie, he just constantly rejects responsibility. "Don't kill me!", "Don't leave me alone!", "Help me!". And when Asuka makes fun of him for being so pathetic. Get this. He reaches out and CHOKES HER. BLAME WOMEN FOR ALL UR PROBLEMS EH, INCEL??? If you go to the scene where the screen is mostly scribbles, you even hear the voices of women expressing digust and rejection. hmmmmmm. The finale concludes with Shinji rejecting Instrumentality, apparently a little too late, since only him and Asuka are spared, while the rest of humanity has been liquefied into LCL. Even though this is entirely Shinji's fault and doing. He proceeds to strangle Asuka again, blaming her for HIS choices. Her last words, "How disgusting" are his final shaming. Since she now knows about his sick incel masturbation act from the very beginning. Shinji, otherwise THE VIEWER, is now in INCHELL.

Congratulations! The early japanese Evangelion fanbase was a great archetype for toxic fanbases that would later bcome common place. One thing I definitely love about this show: it was way ahead of it's time, if not timeless. The self awareness that the show expresses makes it feel pretty timeless.

What think? U mad? U agree? What will newer generations learn from this, with the awaited release of Evangelion on netflix?

Attached: inchell.jpg (1920x1080, 180K)

incel seems to be a term that is crystallizing in today's culture. beyond it's literal meaning. people seem to be extending the term to refer to some kind of "incel mentality". I have been thinking about this, and I think I have identified at least two potential markers of incel mentality. Do you hate your father? If so, yooooou might be an incel. Do you blame others for your problems, or do you accept full responsibility for yourself? If you blame others, particularly women, for your problems, then yoooooou might be an incel.

I read that too. It does not convince me otherwise.

>incel
the very point I stopped reading
Take your buzzwords back to r3ddit.

the first part of your post is wrong, the reason the last 2 episodes are like that is because of budget restraints. Moving on, EoE changes nothing that you put in your post literally at all. The one ending does not disqualify the other or vice versa. Gendo was not altruistic as you (somehow) missed, he wasn't trying to save the world he wanted to return to be with his wife with no regard for anything else. Congratulations for a horrible post and a terrible thread.

Attached: BEGONE REIFAG.jpg (770x442, 20K)

I disagree with you, per my given reasons. There was no preliminary material. And the story was invented on the spot. Before he made the End of Evangelion this gives me reason to believe that he NEVER would have made it, had he not received so much backlash from the fans. This means that the ending of the series is exactly how it was meant to be; regardless of budget cuts. His ideas being different based on how much money he has means more to the fans than it probably ever did for him. The incel subtext of The End of Evangelion is pretty good indication that he disagrees with the fans.

Gendo was altruistic and selfish at the same time. It didn't really matter. His goal and humanity's fate were the same. The important aspect of his character was that he was unforgiving, unquestioning, and ultimate correct. The Ending of Evangelion changed this completely.

Gendo in the series was a good guy bcuz he sought a greater good for humanity while also taking selfish pride in the mission. Gendo in the movie was a bad guy, cuz he only did it for his love for his ex wife, and ultimately felt sorry for neglecting Shinji.

Attached: baddad.jpg (1920x1080, 164K)

what???
You're misunderstanding it's the same Gendo lmao.

>I disagree with you, per my given reasons. There was no preliminary material.
There are storyboards for the original episode 25 before the budget issues were clear (they were used as the original episode preview for 24), and they seem to match what is shown in the first part of EoE. Even the episode 25 we got still have some shots that reference events only seen in the first half of EoE.

This isn't a case like the Rebuild movies where there was a sudden change of direction and the original preview was irrelevant.

Attached: Episode25storyboards vs End of Eva.jpg (602x794, 197K)

BTFO
/thread/
you are just deeply confused lurk for a month and the try again

based

>I think that Shinji's fundamental flaw being depression is more universal. Basically, female viewers can identify with Shinji too....

So basically, Shinji is an incel and the non EoE ending is an incel ending too. Yay! incels all around!

I guess I could believe those are original story boards. I suppose I will continue to argue that the content that the creator published at the time is in someway more meaningful than whatever fans think he might have intended or that he might have claimed he intended after the fact. There seemed to have been over a year between the ending of the series and the movie release. Also, he was in a position to be publicly apologetic to the fans; which was all the more reason to make his "fuck you"s to them subtle.

They could have easily done the story boards, hit some budget snags, reworked the story a bit, and be equally happy and satisfied with it, before ever even finishing whatever the original ending may have been. Between the year the series ended and the movie released he could have easily developed more ideas AFTER THE FACT and just described them as his "original ideas".

Attached: minutescene.jpg (1920x1080, 152K)

how so? In the non EoE ending he grows up, and takes responsibility for himself. This effectively causes him to not be an incel. He doesn't do this in EoE. He rejects everything, never grows up, and fucks humanity.

Throughout the series he wasn't all that incel. He was mostly just fuckboyish. Bit of a loner. Didn't exercise TOO much resistance, except for when he had to fight Toji. I think the starkness between the endings illustrates how differently audiences can be reading the same character.

Let me ask. Did you feel that the Shinji in the movie was the same Shinji from the series? I did not. I did not feel most of those characters were consistent with the personalities expressed in the series.

sorry. just looking for a place to talk Eva. care to elaborate?

No. Different Gendo. EoE changed his character entirely by making him a tragic character. Did Gendo just secretly feel like a wuss over his ex wife the whole time, but was strong enough to not express it until this latter amendment called EoE? Or he just SUDDENLY realizes he is a bad guy in the very end... essentially AFTER the series concluded. That's not really a detail that should have been effected by budget cuts.

EoE is canon tho.....
therefore it's the same character. Do you think he wanted to tell people that he was planning on ending the world to reunite with his wife?
It's not like rebuild where the characters are actually different.

Again just to clarify EoE and the 2 final episodes are NOT exclusive... they both happened
lurk in a couple threads you are missing something fundamental here.

>one of the most existential crisis's

Attached: EvaAsukaMelons.jpg (2575x1728, 1.6M)

what is lurking going to do, besides just teach me how unpopular this opinion is? Can you tell me what makes something "canon"? Like once it gets the sanctioned approval of the creator it becomes canon? Honestly, I am really just seeing two Evas. One without the movie. One with the movie. If I take Eva without the movie, it is a COMPLETELY opposite ending. That is something worth acknowledging.

oh noes, I grammar'd wrong. all my opinions be invalid now.

>reading individualist philosophy
such as?

what the fuck do you think happened between 24 and 25 then.....
EoE ends JUST after episode 26 ends. Shinji leaves instrumentality at the end of 26 and so does Asuka so we see them together. The 2 endings are not just compatible THERE MUTUALLY NECESSARY TO MAKE SENSE

didn't read lol

I was warned for posting Asuka thread. I didn't know the mods were disgusting Reifags.
So that being said, post more Asuka.

Attached: asucar.png (1064x983, 1.55M)

no horse in this argument but i gotta point out that pv was added for the director's cut, it's not in the version of the episode that aired

The mods sometimes kill Eva threads if one is already active, which is kinda just doing their job on keeping the board clean.
An Asuka thread that lasted 2 days just ended a few hours ago too.

Attached: 68662.jpg (749x1200, 409K)

With each coming day I find myself more and more attracted to the idea of human instrumentality and becoming a single conscious entity. Everyone’s so divided nowadays, so why not remove that barrier and allow ourselves to have a mental orgy? I can’t be the only one with this feel, right?

>80's boomer
Words mean things, and someone born in the 80s is not a boomer. That would be someone born post WWII till early 50s.

Lol who cares Eva is Freudian bullshit that has been thoroughly disregarded by mainstream academia the only thing of value are the mecha fights

I'd rather die than have to share thoughts with the majority of human beings, forget all of them at once.
And I may get lonely at times, but there are also moments when I do enjoy being alone.

>MASSIVE SPOILERS
Are you new to anime and Yea Forums?

Plebs will ree and say you're wrong but I completely agree with you. EoE is garbage and overall, lowered the quality of the series.

Attached: 1453883872644.jpg (300x2000, 204K)