Why was late 80s early 90s anime so much better?

why was late 80s early 90s anime so much better?

Attached: dragonhalf.gif (500x380, 998K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aI2A6nusofk
youtube.com/watch?v=o7kNKsw5k2k
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativist_fallacy
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You haven't watched the bad shows.

Attached: 1525202155100.jpg (1920x1881, 827K)

better artstyle

oh look, it's the historical relativism fallacy again

I've watched some, they were better as well

Super-deformed faces

those were nice

Attached: 1555217113742.gif (500x374, 1.92M)

The humor was better. Tsukkomi a shit.

correct. Nowadays it's all "uuuugggh I can't believe you'd do that! damn that's so annoying uggggghhhh how AWKWARD stop embarrassing us!"

a) all the way to 2000, don't know what made you stop at the mid.
b) cause in the 00s 3 things happened
>Anime had to move away from cel cause there were no longer cels, a lot of switching pains and limping towards the new medium
>The older talent was starting to die out or quit
>Otakus flooded the animation industry in overwhelming numbers and turned it from a cinematic artform to otaku banter trash.

You could also mention that the combination of censorship laws and decrease in popularity of physical mediums with no restrictions created heavy censorship on the medium.

I like that they were drawing the characters thicker. Made the women a lot more feminine.

capitalism grinds everything down.
by the mid-90's the anime boom had grown to become completely mainstream, the hollywood of japan. that means more investors and shareholders and other such people who don't give a shit about quality, only profit. people who buy out a company directly or indirectly and then demand they be completely profit focuses, showing them charts and graphs and marketing schema that they treat as gospel. which leads to shallow trend-chasing and knockoffs because these non-creative types do not comprehend that something 80% similar to something won't magically make 80% the profits of that thing being mimicked, and often completely miss what made these things popular in the first place because they never found them interesting to begin with. Look at all the Madoka knock-offs in both anime and manga over the past decade that are just 'magical girls suffering' often straight up gorn, that failed to make the slightest impact

this is sadly exactly correct.

not necessarily thicker

just with more defined anatomy.

current-day thick girls are just cartoonish baloon tits hourglass

Also Japan's economic bubble burst around the beginning of the 90s, which made those companies move away from impressive, experimental anime with high budgets to stuff which is safer, and more guaranteed to sell for cheaper.

Back then, they had budget and talent to do whatever they wanted without the need to pander 100% to the "otaku culture". Now they have neither time or money and they HAVE to pander, otherwise there is no profit for anyone. It's another reason as to why voice actors in Japan are a lighter version of celebrities. Promotional purposes, pandering, profit.

Honestly, anime/manga isn't even that dark when you dig deep into how it operates. The movie business, for example, is typically full of much deeper and darker shit going on behind the scenes.

t. idiot trying to explain the degradation of an art with terms that his baby brain can understand.

Business has nothing to do with the changing tides in anime

also

>In the mid 90's it became completely mainstream and the Hollywood of japan

Except it didn't. I don't know what planet you are from but the 80s and 90s were the height of people being ostracized for liking anime. That's the era where the world otaku came from to describe virgins who would do nothing and watch anime all day.

>dad fucked a dragon and got a cute dragon daughter
>walks in on her looking like her friend is molesting her
>proposition a threesome with his daughter and her friend
I miss the days when loli and shota were straight up offered sex and some even ended up getting it.

>Business has nothing to do with the changing tides in anime
Anime is made by private for-profit companies.

The classical music made it better. J-pop ruined everything.

Attached: dragon-mink3.gif (300x400, 303K)

If anime was business driven it would be a lot more like cartoons.
A medium that just does whatever makes it money makes garbage. A lot of anime don't make much money, hell some of the biggest projects in anime history ended up being a loss.

Spot on

Dragon half anime was mediocre at Best and te manga was no better

Survivorship bias: we watch only the most popular/best shows from that era, while we are exposed to all the crap from our era

>the historical relativist fallacy AGAIN

the worst from the old era beats the worst from the current era

More money to throw at anime productions because their bubble hadn't burst yet. This also means they could experiment and didn't just pick stuff they think would sell well.

man happy sugar life was a fucking masterpiece

I do not think those words mean what you think they mean.

Only because the barrier to entry is lower now.

You only want to see good stuff from that era while conveniently ignoring the vast majority of low quality anime in the same era. Solution: Watch more anime and expand your horizon.

there are more anime being made now so more bad anime, but I can't say if there are less good anime
Although, personally, I feel my fave modern anime kinda flew under the radar

This.
I watched Dragon-Half in February. It kind of sucked.

>>Otakus flooded the animation industry in overwhelming numbers and turned it from a cinematic artform to otaku banter trash.
This happened in the 80s with the OVA era, hence why the vast majority of OVAs are about sexualized or cute heroines.

80s > 00s > 70s > 90s > 10s > 60s

well it's a fallacy that relies on historical relativism.

no it didn't
avoid lying

Anime does make money. It is primarily advertisement material, but it's also being sold as packages to streaming service providers in the domestic and foreign market.
That is why there's a shitton of anime. It is produced on time, by hordes of expendable otaku animators who are paid shit, because being antisocial retards, the otaku animators are too stupid to band together and form unions to demand better working and pay conditions.

This benefits the studio by keeping costs down and having continual contracts, allows producers to have certainty, and is good for customers because they have a variety of shows to watch with all kinds of genre to consume for extremely cheap, or even free.

All thanks to dumb otaku animators being incapable of bonding together. Thank the god of capitalism, Adam Smith, for there being a slave caste that willingly works for low pay and is so desperate for anime that they even work on it.

What is pokemon, dragon ball, one piece, naruto/boruto

my favourite anime are from all over the place

>The humor was better.
The irony is that the humor of OP's pic and a lot of the referential RPG-parody fantasy comedy anime of the time period is itnerchangable with today's RPG-parody fantasy/isekai comedy anime. You could switch around some of the RPG jokes in Dragon Half with something like Konosuba and nothing would be out of place.

Not exclusive to the rpg-fantasy anime, but the more I watch older anime the more I realize a lot of the tropes and cliches and humour is the exact same as its always been

Isn't that expected when a series directly copies something?

More of it was made for normal human beings (well, teenagers) and not otaku manchildren.

This was only true before the mid-80s

This, I guess. Not just with anime.
Low financial risk and steady flow of money is archieved best by recycling themes and stories that already proved successful and just enough quality to not fall too far beneath the average.

Expecially if companies go public there's a high chance the qualiy goes down the shitter fast.

everything is the fucking same now, it's mostly """"""""cgdct"""""""" and isekai now (both soulless genres) in order to appeal to the japanese equivalent of r9k. basically what said

>half a year old
>masterpiece
this is the problem, OP

Because otaku had interests outside of Anime that they use to influence their anime.

Otakus were a mistake

Attached: 1539866126874.jpg (640x357, 35K)

More often than not, why does it seem that most of the people who complain about the current state of anime are completely ignorant to what older anime mostly was? Half of the people I see on this website who ramble on about the "good old days" hardly watch anything deeper than surface level in both the pre-digital and post-digital eras.

Attached: Akazukin Chacha - 52 [DVD H264] [8D3EC949].avi (00.03.51.148).jpg (640x480, 62K)

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

All teenagers go through their OLD THING GOOD/sweeping blanket generalizations phase

it's because of otaku scum, anyone who defends 21st century anime is either underage or goes to starbucks regularly if you know what I mean.

You are just blatantly making assumptions now, user.

I have never finished an anime made after 1998

this but unironically

Can you retards fuck off already?
You watched a handful of old movies, stop acting like you're an expert.

Attached: 1549958421492.png (558x467, 115K)

zoom zoom

>pointless fanservice
>better

>people complaining about how otaku killed anime
>in a thread where fucking Dragon Half is the OP of all things
I hope you're all being ironic

Attached: breakfast.png (723x348, 531K)

>tasteful, subtle fanservice that's only visible for a couple of frames

why don't they have time or money anymore ?

it's because of kind of fags who say "waifu" "slut" "no bully" and "thicc"

>it's mostly """"""""cgdct"""""""" and isekai now
Nigga you like watching 2 shows per season?

>Dragon Half
>subtle fanservice
Stop shitposting with my wife's series.

and "boi".
I forgot that one,

>OLD THING BAD
>NEW THING GOOD
Lmao you're as dumb as the people you criticise.

You clearly don't know what fanservice is.

>>OLD THING BAD
>>NEW THING GOOD
Who said or implied this?

Attached: C_5ES-xUwAEzJ17.jpg (574x316, 27K)

even the fanservice is shit now.
old fanservice still makes my peepee hard to this day, new fanservice is just screaming children.

It's more about what their memories of living in that era were than the actual stuff from that era. Life was simpler in their past and they remember being happier back then and watching old stuff is a good way to remind yourself of those times.

I only got onto old anime in the last few years and it's miles ahead of the shit we get now.

I wish superalzheimer upon all those people, so that they don't even remember the past anymore and are forced to always live in the now.

Attached: 1484644235313.png (458x714, 323K)

Early 2000s was definitely the worst with the initial shift to digital and people still getting used to the tools.

that was when it got shit but it never recovered.

There has been no improvement.

I'd say it got a little better, most shit nowadays is still better than the horrible garbage from that period.

I've been into anime for ages and the quality of TV anime's been the near exact same for 40 years now, get your head out of your ass.
The only crime of modern anime is that OVAs are dead and movies aren't ambitious anymore.

Early 2000s is up there with the late 1970s for one of the better eras for anime. Like with anything else, the limitations and recency of the tools led to innovation and unique styles.

it went from 2% good to 12% good.

>hey guys look what we can use COMPUTERS to do!
youtube.com/watch?v=aI2A6nusofk

>movies aren't ambitious anymore.
This is such a huge shame too.

You can preffer one decade style over another but hearing "all anime starting X year is shit" makes me think of someone who doesn't really like anime that much. I preffer 80's style but there's tons of new series I like, and since there's more anime than ever there's also more series I like from today than from 30 years ago.

Attached: animenow.png (687x771, 73K)

Early 2000s was a mini golden age, some of the best anime of all time come from this era. Pic related

Attached: 1548514050451.jpg (2238x1568, 678K)

Problem with 00's is lack of HD releases and those dead colours from the beginning of the digital era.

We’re you born in le wrong generation op

Attached: Pururun.png (453x768, 343K)

In the end, the people complaining about new stuff are just losers who can't keep up with progress and want to slow it down or even revert it.
They're a burden that people will have to carry with them.

actual reddit quote

That era is the perfect mix of the talented creators from the 90's working their magic with Digital. The missing link between retro anime and modern anime.

>moeshit and "That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Bottle of Pepto" is progress

The early 00s is actually when most of the new blood came into the industry.
There was another pretty good era between 2009-2013 too. Truthfully, post-2015 anime is stagnant, but anime's always had its stagnant stretches, like the early 90s and early 70s.

>70% shonenshit
what an awful list

I don't know if I'd call it the best, but it was certainly the comfiest.

>2009-2013
I'd extend that to 2007-2013, 2007 was one of the biggest years in TV anime history

Attached: 1485453798749.png (1024x768, 450K)

>slave caste

Attached: 1517850094052.jpg (380x439, 38K)

the internet was comfy in general back then

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-03-31-23h05m35s917.png (2891x1080, 3.16M)

I can see there are nipples but because it's a fucking gif I can't pause it.

Attached: 1520412836147.jpg (300x300, 59K)

People with Autism hate change. This is a known fact.

modern shit is specifically designed for autists though, it's all about non-threatening repetition.

Dragon half was a 2 episode OVA and a failure. It didn't generate enough interest to create a TV show like other OVAs such as Tenchi or Ah Megami-sama.

But go ahead, keep comparing high budget OVAs with low budget TV shows. It's all you're good at.

Attached: 1474742765639.jpg (850x1171, 251K)

tv shows from 30 years ago are better than the highest budget movies of today.

Except they weren't. I lived through 70s, 80s, and 90s anime. The problem is you condense 30 years of anime into a few shows thinking they were representative of the whole. There are just as many high quality movies as there were back then. They just come at the same rate they always have, 1 every 2-3 years. You don't realize that because you've condensed it all into stuff you can watch in a day.

I am not a fan of 80s designs and I literally never found a good show released before NGE.

Cringe and bluepilled

i forgot about this gonna reread childhood

So it's old autists hating change that benefits new autists.
I demand autist fights.

That is also true, but just because it is doesn't mean that Autists don't have a tendency to pine for the old and hate everything that changed since their introduction to it. People do this in general, but Autists will have trouble appreciating or seeing any value in change.

I'm the opposite, I physically cannot stomach anything with the modern look.

That's ironic considering most pre-1995 TV anime was 50+ episode long repetitive toy commercials to market to little girls and little boys.

"I must become more tsuyoku for mai romantic interest to mamoru!"

This. Nearly all shows lacked maturity(don't read this as byword for edge, gore and sex, you fucking zoomers) in storytelling back in the day. Even modern ecchi harem shit has more maturity in writing than any of 80s shows.

youtube.com/watch?v=o7kNKsw5k2k

Attached: 3e1.png (491x335, 341K)

that's an American thing, not anime. also I wouldn't call pandering to otaku much better than pandering to kids.

I'm arguing against the people shitting on modern anime, but your statement is completely shit and false..

No, that's very much a Japanese thing. What do you think non-OVA mecha and non-OVA mahou shoujo shows were? They specifically were made to sell toys and merchandise to children, including critically acclaimed stuff like Gundam.

appalling post

the business practice of using anime to shill children's toys literally originated with 70s super robot shows, to the point that the integrity of the shows suffered and actual fans who weren't children had to read the manga instead

Yeah bro.those edgy for edge sake shows, monster of the week mecha shows were brilliant pieces of writing.

Yeah bro. those generic moe slice of life shows, gimmick driven isekai shows are brilliant pieces of writing.

Watch more anime you utter retard. What you're saying is no different from the people who unironically think modern anime is just cgdct and isekai.
You have Leiji Matsumoto's space operas to thank for the notion of mature storytelling in anime.

Attached: harlock.jpg (960x946, 176K)

We need more anime about dragon girls.

Attached: 73418420_p0.png (1200x829, 1.15M)

didnt we just have one

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Manaria Friends - 02 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_12.13_[2019.01.31_10.51.00].jpg (1920x1080, 169K)

we really don't, last time someone tried that we got that awful tumblr maid dragon show.

Yes and it was one of my favorite shows last season.

Attached: 0e1cc57a1a9fa15474f5fb8437fdf70ef4eae13bfd79d1dd49e0a18f31ed9dd7.webm (852x480, 2.5M)

why does she likes eggs so much

Attached: dragonhalf2.png (1501x1100, 639K)

eggs are good

>I don't know what planet you are from but the 80s and 90s were the height of people being ostracized for liking anime. That's the era where the world otaku came from to describe virgins who would do nothing and watch anime all day.
>t. insecure american afraid of glorifying Japan too much
I bet you randomly bring up Japan's role in WW2 out of nowhere to sate your insecurity complex too. Tabloids tried to exploit that one killer, and it wasn't until the 2000s that the industry went full meta-aware pandering "us otakus rite xD" with maids and moe, but anime was definitely a lucrative and popular industry in Japan back in the 90s and late 80s.

what does it taste like dick saucer's dick sauce?

Is irresponsible captain Tylor good or should I just watch urashiman instead?

Rummaged through some 80s Japanese anime magazine recently. Couldn't read a word of it, but the illustrations had so much soul. Highly recommend you look into stuff like Animage, etc

>historical relativism fallacy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativist_fallacy
>The fallacy is supposed to rest on the law of noncontradiction. The fallacy applies only to objective facts, or what are alleged to be objective facts, rather than to facts about personal tastes or subjective experiences, and only to facts regarded in the same sense and at the same time

Learn what words mean before using them, thanks

I like the eyes but the anatomy went to shit

>dat anatomy
That is some Rob Liefeld tier impression if I see one.

Attached: Rob Liefeld.jpg (577x1250, 68K)

The same thing that happened to western animation. Fan """ culture """ seeped into the professional industry because the money was big and the standards slackened, and now everything being made is being done by self-congratulatory faggot otakus who masturbate to their own drawings and don't pressure themselves to actually expand on the artform and create something people want to watch.
Dragonball Super is the purest distillation of this cancer.

In mid-90 OVAs sales started to decline and in 95/96 started the era of late nigth time slot.
No wonder today BD prices are fucking expensives

My wording is correct. I'm talking about a fallacy that consists in applying historical relativism to a situation where it doesn't work. There's no reason not to call it a historical relativism fallacy

what you are talking about is a fallacy where someone is wrongfully called a historical relativist. It happens to have the same name but that could apply to both.

well you've clearly never seen one

I never understood this argument. Just take out the mediocre shows of every generation and only compare the ones that matter.

Problem is Ryusuke Mita knew how to draw well at the beginning. He went through some Lous Wain kind of shit.

Attached: louis_wain_cats-e1491754874612.jpg (850x599, 120K)

good golly I love miss polly

For the same reason practical effects in movies were at their best then too, the techniques they used were done long enough to be perfected, it was done by hand so it wasnt as half assed, directors had near full artistic control and didnt have hip young studio chairmen who know what the people want breathing down their necks, not every idea had been done so there was a lot of room for experimenting, and the social climate of the times influenced artwork to be gritty and lewd.

Attached: 1538352661460.gif (398x400, 1.92M)

Oh boy, it's this thread again.

Oh boy, it's this reply again

>yuri
into the trash it goes

thick

Soulless

Attached: 1552702966612.png (632x2032, 1.82M)

Most of them started watching anime on Toonami, which had a curated selection of mostly good stuff the channel knew would appeal to westerners. Now that anime is more available than ever, we can see more stuff, and see how shit most of it is.
The truth is that most anime was always shit, but a lot of us didn't get to see the big picture back then. Hell, people were complaining about moe ruining the medium long before the 90s came around.

Attached: 1550705610781m.jpg (683x1024, 95K)

What the FUCK happened to the blue haired girl?

>people were complaining about moe ruining the medium long before the 90s came around.

But they didn't know the word moe so they called it "kawaii" or cuteshit.
In the 90's the same kind of idiots complained about Sailor Moon ruining anime. If they would have been in the 80's then Minki Momo or whatever else would have been accused of ruining the adult "manime" of the 70's.

War, war never changes.

Attached: 1337209701653.png (685x288, 23K)

>pander 100% to the "otaku culture"

100% this. Pokemon's success in the west killed the anime industry.

Only Pokemon?

>Anime had to move away from cel cause there were no longer cels
The fuck JUST make new cels.

The fuck are you on about, pokemon is the least common denominator here, it was the economic bubble crash of the 90s since most of the work was done by outsourcing the animation to foreign studios and the need to pander to moe to stay afloat what killed anime

>nothing ever changes
>the overall quality of any medium is always constant

I wish you could realize how incredibly stupid your post was.

Did she make you a furry?

wich ironically happens to be way better than half-assed dragon, you fucking nostalfag.