I turned myself into a car, Anthy!

>I turned myself into a car, Anthy!

Attached: utena234.jpg (512x306, 18K)

i mean it's a pretty ridiculous final scene

but cars were a pretty dominant motif throughout the tv series. so i guess this makes sense. (although god only knows what ikuhara intended them to mean)

>dude, fuck plot, have no symbolism

seriously, fuck this movie

ITS ME, GREGOR SAMSA

i guess it's supposed to be a metaphor for the relationship between utena & anthy?

like utena saves anthy, but anthy controls utena?

The director's commentary track is great.
>Some of our fans took issue with the car wash scene [...] but I wanted to make the film special.
>Normally the climax the protagonists would be faced by some super strong opponent
>But we've seen things like that before, so I wasn't really interested. There are a lot of shows like that already.
>People ask me why Utena is turned into a car. I try not to answer that.

>her parents died in a car crash
!!

utena is 11/10 but the movie was such a piece of trash.

>anthy redraw that looks like a different character
>no nanami
>utena for some reason in love with the gay guy with red hair
>the watches jodorowsky once feeling the movies has
>utena with short hair that looks worse than long hair

Also too choppy and confuse, fuck stupid symbolism I prefer a more simple and linear plot. Very nice scenes to look at but overall bad.

honestly this is exactly right. the series is amazing but the movie is an irredeemable disaster, beautiful animation notwithstanding

Some brother lines got pretty difficult to follow. So the guy with red hair was sold to nanami's father? Why utena calls him brother? Utena lived in the same house as them?

If she likes him in the movie, then again, why they are brothers all of sudden?

I'm in the first episodes of the black rose stuff and Utena seems a bit boring and very repetitive, does it get better?

they were meant to be younger in the movie
The designs and the love story (post Titanic bullshit complete with boy drowning) were the only really negatives to me, the rest was amazing

Anybody got that webm of the robot chick turning herself into a robot fox

well, in my case I found the repetitions interesting and well done, it somehow adds to the show.

but is this an alternative reality? I thought it was after the anime and they were older (that why it is called adolescence). The only problem is that they got all their memories erased and dont remember each other.

Is there something that I am not getting? It's literally the same shitty music and stairs sequence every time. The greek choir shit with the shadows is also a really annoying. Am I too much of a brainlet for Utena?

definitely younger
Particularly anthy doesn't have glasses or the bun, both signs of being older.

Adolescence easily could refer to people who just reached puberty

it's the worst part of the whole series honestly, it's just filler.

See, animation costs money. And Utena, you'd be shocked to learn, had a very, very low budget. They did the best they could, and at least made them artistic.

user Kare Kano is my favourite anime so don't come lecturing me about budget. Although I can't speak for the entirety of utena, what Ive seen is nothing special, only mildly interesting.
If it gets better I will definitely give it a try

utena is full of repetitions, not only the stairs scene but as other said they made it artistic. In the first episodes I realized that utena was able to turn something assumed to be bad (repetition, recycling of frames) into something interesting. Same go for filler episodes. The first filler I was "oh ok, lets skip this one" but then I realized that utena has this unique quality of having fillers that are better than the main episodes.

Seriously, utena is 11/10, pay atttention because it is an unique anime. Nothing comes closer even after 20 years.

Fuck you guys. The movie is the show played completely straight. No more beating around the bush like the show did. It also looks great and has fantastic music. But yes, the show is better

Please tell me how you think Utena achieved that? I honestly don't see it. I would gladly read a detailed explanation if it meant appreciating something that so many people consider unique and artistic

>at least made them artistic
I usually fast forward henshin scenes, but when it comes to Ikuhara, I never do because the guy's henshin scenes are god tier.

not the poster youre replying to, but...

re: utena & repetitions: for one, consider the fact that twice in the series, an ostensible "clip show" ends up advancing the plot in major ways. and, moreover, the "clips" in the clip show are re-arranged to provide specific and surprising narrative lead-up to that plot advancement. that, surely, is a cool and unique use of repetition/frame-recycling. (trying to avoid spoilers)

in fact, it's a good rule of thumb in utena that, if scenes are repeated, then they are to be regarded as having a different tenor/purpose from the first time they were presented.

plus, there's the fact that ikuhara understands the awesome power of repetitive henshin scenes, and he understands the thrill of powering-up every week with the same animation, set to galvanizing music. (see: sailor moon)

re: filler episodes...here again ikuhara follows the template of sailor moon (a template he himself helped set): filler episodes should generally advance the plot a bit and/or reveal a further emotional dimension to our protagonist. but that makes for interesting filler episodes.

i think this is what the original poster was trying to get at. in any case, utena really is a unique and artistic anime, you should definitely give it serious consideration before deciding you dislike it imo.

>student council arc
8/10
>black rose arc
9/10
>akio fucks everyone in a car arc
5/10
>finale
10/10

wow v accurate damn

She wanted her to ride her. I don't see why you're making a fuss about it.

>tfw no brown gf to ride you out of this world

Attached: Shoujo Kakumei Utena_15.mkv_snapshot_04.59_[2018.03.23_15.26.43].jpg (1193x895, 117K)

Attached: Shoujo Kakumei Utena Adolescence Mokushiroku.mkv_snapshot_01.20.24_[2018.03.28_23.29.19].jpg (1659x895, 189K)

You legitimately have to watch Utena twice at least to properly understand it.

The symbolism is the plot, you brainlet.

Ikuhara's commentaries are always hillarious. The dude loves to fuck with the audience.

This, but I wonder if i"d be more okay with it if I wasn't comparing to the series.
Though while the scenes look great, they feel more like set pieces lacking the build up and characterisation to give them weight, so I think it'd still be "very nice scenes to look at but overall bad"

It stays repetitive in structure within each arc (up to the finale), but Black Rose is a much stronger arc than first. If you're not drawn in by the end of that though, series is not for you
Wrong, car arc is 10/10. Or at the very least better than Student council

Repetitious elements in stories usually bother me but for some reason Utena didn't. I think it's partly that there's a lot to think about and the repetition helps hammer in important things and stops new information from being too overwhelming, partly that the repetition makes it have greater effect when something changes, but also they were really great sequences so it's almost like when the chorus of a song you love kicks in again, you know what it is but you're hyped to see it.
> shitty music
This might unironically be part of your problem. It's not the kind of music I'd listen to on its own, but within the context of the show I love it.

>shitty music
>he doesn't like ZETTAI UNMEI MOKUSHIROKU
How is it possible to have taste this terrible?

Attached: begin exorcism.gif (263x368, 1.2M)