Why haven't you watched the best movie of 2018, yet?

Why haven't you watched the best movie of 2018, yet?

Attached: Japan-Mamoru-Hosoda-46th-Annual-Annie-Awards-001-1024x683.jpg (1024x683, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.
youtube.com/watch?v=0LOseDi1j8c
youtube.com/watch?v=AEWvRqZQ0RU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't watch anime movies very often

>Hosoda
No, thank you.

>Admitting you have shit taste
At least you're honest

Saw it in theaters. It wasn't that good. Anime movies hit their peak with Your name and Silent voice.

Not even the best movies of that year

Hi user, I think you might want to check out this server.

discord.
gg/bBaZXcp

Attached: 1555140324390.jpg (679x960, 278K)

None of which were even nominated for Oscars.

>implying the Oscars mean shit these days

Don't know what you're talking about, but I've seen the Pancreas movie at least five times already and been through the story (including LN and manga) at least nine times at this point.

Attached: pancreas.jpg (1000x1333, 624K)

>liking furfaggotry
Liz was the best movie of 2018

Attached: Mirai no Mirai [BD 1080p Hi10P x264 2Audio].mkv_snapshot_00.18.27_[2019.02.22_22.27.42].jpg (1536x829, 276K)

The movie look adorable. I don’t know why more people didn’t Iike it.

Attached: C8EDA0C8-8DA9-46B0-B9F1-5058EBAC8A80.gif (250x171, 1.24M)

Npc taste desu

Because story wise, it doesn't really make much sense. I watched the film twice and I still can't figure out why Yukiko change to a human form for no apparent reason.

Also, I really have no idea how future Mirai actually got to the past....or why she had so little screentime. I mean, is that tree in the yard of the house magical or what?

>Anime movies hit their peak with Your name and Silent voice.
Nah.

Attached: 1555008737405.png (720x542, 367K)

Give it another year and you might be replacing "Your Name" with "Weathering With You"

You know, the first time I watched Liz it didn't make any sense at all...and it turns out that I never watched Hibike Euphonium.

So a two hour movie cost me another 24 hour investment plus another two hours of watching the film again.

Man, this is why I stick with original movies.

I guess because it’s a fantasy movie; it doesn’t need to explain everything.

It doesn't need to explain everything...but I feel like it would make more sense if things weren't so disjointed.

Decent family movie. Not something Yea Forums in general would appreciate.

It was weird that I thought the main kid didn't sound like a kid that age. It was even weirder when there is a scene where he interacts with other kids his age and they sound like kids and he doesn't.

Attached: huh.jpg (300x300, 16K)

Patema Inverted was better than both of those
hell, Godzilla 3 was better than Silent Voice

If you didn't get Liz the first time then you're stupid. There isn't much to get, it's a very simplistic story. Sure some background knowledge of the characters might be nice but it certainly isn't essential to understanding what's going on.

Penguin Highway was better. Not saying perfect, just better.

Fucking this You don't really need to watch Hibikek to understand that Liz is a story about genius vs normal people and yuri

>I mean, is that tree in the yard of the house magical or what?
It's like a family tree, but literal.

It was pretty good. I think Wolf Children is still his best work though.

or Children of the Sea

Attached: 4F7F2DD1-E626-415B-BB46-E63DE8378322.jpg (1447x2047, 563K)

This shit better be kino.

The girl who leapt through time?

Just be glad The Grinch or Sherlock Gnomes wasn’t nominated.

youtube.com/watch?v=0LOseDi1j8c

Yeah I saw that trailer. Impressive, as well as the staff. But you can never really tell until the film comes out.

Your name is literally my favorite movie and I hate how Yea Forums uses it to shitpost

Attached: 1527611722071.jpg (1458x1225, 1.05M)

Look great, that I wonder why they chose something from almost 15years ago to animate

Eat a dick you nigger

Attached: 1406142635170s.jpg (109x125, 3K)

Because it is significantly easier that way than to come up with your own orginal story.

Hell, Birthday Wonder is based off of a book and Miyazaki's next film "How Do You Live" is based off of something from 1937.

No. Mirai no Mirai. It is like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, it is by the same guy, but makes much less sense and more experimental

Anime movie thread?
Any other good ones beside the one mention in this thread?

It is hard to find recommendation because nu-Yea Forums rarely talks about anything that aren't seasonal and ln shit.

That's because we usually kick people who recommends to Also...this should help, but is only limited to 2016. There's quite a bit of movies from 2017 and 2018 that are noteworthy (subjective):

I want to eat your Pancreas
Night is Short, Walk On Girl
Napping Princess
Maquia: when the promised flower blooms

and several more I'm drawing a blank on at this moment.

Attached: Anime_movies.jpg (4004x6704, 2.87M)

Those were great movies, but before those came out Spirit Away was considered the bar. The medium keeps getting better and I can't wait to see what comes out next.

There are only like what less than 10movies per year after you remove the yearly shounenshit, Conan and Doraemon.
Mirai, Penguin highway, Maquia, Mary and the one that are more for otaku like nanoha, narrative, heaven feel etc etc

So the girl who leapt through time.

Also, don't forget compilation movies like Made in Abyss.

Pretty good thanks user, also
>tokyo godfathers
>comedy

In my defense, I didn't make this. But whoever did, was clearly fucking with this as they put DBZ: Battle of Gods into Comedy as well (which may or may not be true depending on your perspective)

>Maquia
>youtube.com/watch?v=AEWvRqZQ0RU

Just heard of this. Is it kino?

Oh don't worry, I have already seen the best movie of 2018. It even made shinkai jealous.

Attached: 728098.jpg (1920x1756, 525K)

Sorry user, its terrible

It was good right until he grew up and she got kidnapped by the other dude. Second half was pure shit. Shame it was a good mommy movie too

I think it was a good movie, but not really Kino.

My opinion is that the character designs are somewhat meh and while the story is good-ish and I did cry at the end, there really wasn't that many scenes that stuck out.

lmao

It's alright, you have shit taste. I can understand.

Easily better than Mirai and Liz and the blue bird.

Attached: 40670951.png (310x306, 103K)

I did. It was cute and I enjoyed it, but there wasn't much there honestly. It's like Hosoda's Ponyo: there's really not much conflict and it's based mostly on the young, child MC's young, child-like angst and subsists off its great visuals. Entertaining enough, but Wolf Children is still probably his best movie. Summer Wars and Boy and the Beast suffer from pacing issues from having to shove way too much in to try and set stuff up. Boy and the Beast especially could've been like two movies worth of conflict.

it was shit, the fucking kid whining every five seconds made the experence unbearable

Just finished watching it. I liked it a lot, but it was the first anime movie I've seen in a while so it might be shit next to the competition.

Plus I'm a wimp for endings where the love interest just has to accept that they're about to die/disappear. I saw it coming from a mile a way and that shit still got to me.

Attached: __aoyama_kun_and_onee_san_penguin_highway_drawn_by_nashigaya_koyomi__0b04adc082425e320ab99731336477d (903x1275, 769K)

This looks like I would want to kill myself of boredom if I had to sit to watch this.
This looks more dull and tasteless than the junk shinkai makes.

Mirai is one of his worst work, OP. Most of the scene didn't really connect that well, it feels like a bunch of cuts got paste together into a collage of scenes.

>furfaggotry
Another one?

I just watched this because of your post. I don't really know what to think. At first, I thought it was some really low brow dying gf wish fulfillment. But by the end I felt it had some important lessons to teach, about relationships and how the choices we make determine our lives. It made me feel like I need to open up and start trying a little harder to get close to people because there is no red string of fate that's going to bring me to someone. It didn't make me cry though, so if there was supposed to be some big emotional release moment I didn't find it. It was mostly thought provoking with a big dose of >tfw no dying gf

Not that user, but not really. Future Mirai herself appear in the whole movie for less than 15 minutes. It was all about her older brother when he was a brat that kept on throwing tantrum because reasons and his sort of journey to understand that he is already a big brother to a little sister. The whole time travel thing just feels like a symbolic thing, a narrative to the story; but it failed miserably. You can still enjoy the heartwarming family bonding moments that are presented through the whole movie though.

Anime movies nowadays:

>Old people are still useful and the young would be lost without us.

Meanwhile, Japan is stagnating and has too many old fucks that won't die.

Easy. The visuals and family bonding moments are great but the plot is non existent. It's watchable but not really worth to be talked about.

As others have said, it's super disjointed, the main character is a total brat, and there's zero cohesive narrative or overarching themes. Personally, though I have nothing against CGI, I felt that the climax scenes really overused it and I expected better from a big movie like that.

This is the real anime movie of the year. Strong, consistent themes (unlike Mirai), likable characters with depth who grow and mature throughout the film, a surprising amount of chemistry between the main couple (unlike Uchiage Hanabi), it looked good overall and had a number of especially well animated scenes with good cinematography (including the fireworks scene, which was potentially the best in any anime since Koe no Katachi), and it was sincerely and legitimately an emotionally moving experience (unlike Maquia, which was typical Okada forced drama).

The only other contenders are Liz - which, while very pretty and thoughtfully directed, was often slow to the point of being boring, especially since Mizore and Nozomi weren't particularly captivating leads, and I felt there was barely any emotional payoff - and The Night is Short, Walk On Girl, for which I can't really remember any particular flaws that stood out when I watched it. I still have yet to watch Penguin Highway, Hirune-hime or Mary to Majo no Hana though, so who knows.

No. It clearly needed much more time to tell its story and it ends up suffering midway. Final third is too fucking rushed as they try to wrap things up.

Only if you are comparing to Children Who Chase Lost Voices which is his worst movie.

>Children Who Chase Lost Voices which is his worst movie
I didn't think it was that bad, to be honest. It was a solid "okay, but it could be better" kind of movie. Garden of Words was his best though.

Still waiting for good subs for that one.

Didn't care for Mirai, even nips didn't like it much and got mix reviews.

I'm sorry I didn't watch it, I wanted to catch up with Hosoda's filmography first

Maquia was OK but had lots of issues

Pancreas had the potential to be great, if it hadn't been for
-the amateurish visual directing, terrible art and mediocre animation
-the shit tier montages that are thrown in every now and then
-the constant flashbacks, treating the audience like a bunch of morons who sport the memory of a fish
-the terrible and emotionally manipulative final 20 minutes that try so hard to force an emotional response from the viewer that it comes off as pitiful and desperate in an attempt to leave a mark
-the dreamlike sequence towards the end that is supposed to bring catharsis but has the opposite effect due to coming off incredibly cheap, especially given how there was no reason to not let her death sink in for a while

It's been a while since I've been legitimately angry about the potential wasted by an anime, but this movie really managed to make me furious. Such hackjobs are rare.

It's the most well animated movie of the year so that alone makes it worth watching.

>As others have said, it's super disjointed, the main character is a total brat, and there's zero cohesive narrative or overarching themes.
Looks like "others", including yourself, are legitimately retarded, then. Being a brat isn't a bad thing, and claiming for there be not overarching themes merely shows that you're too retarded to see what's literally right in front of you. How can anybody even make this claim? Are you sure that you're seen the movie? Embarrassing.

1. Mirai
2. Penguin Highway
3. Liz

The rest is irrelevant.
Watch Maquia and Doraemon (and Batman Ninja) for the animation if you want, but they're not good movies.

Attached: batman-ninja-147153.jpg (1280x720, 181K)

Because 2018 was a shit year for anime movie?

Seen one of the VAs of Mirai describe the movie as being Japan's Funniest Home Videos.

It was good, but really not as good as Hosoda's other films. Still very cute tho.
I haven't seen Penguin Highway yet, but that one looks fantastic to me, it played at a film festival near me but I wasn't able to go, unfortunately.

>Because 2018 was a shit year for anime movie?
Pretty big meme. 2018 actually had good chunk of movies with at least some form of merit.

Mirai, Wakaokami and Liz are genuinely good films. In that order. Then you have Maquia, which is exceptionally animated, and Penguin Highway, which looks like complete dogshit but at least has some OK thematic approach. So you can book them as serviceable, all things considered.

What did the praised 2016 have? A standout film in form of In this Corner, a nice popcorn flick in form of Kimi no na wa, and? That's it. Kizu 1 and 2 are not only awful compared to 3, but also part of a series so they can't be judged on thier own. KnK is a horrendous flick and butchers its source and December Sky made virtually no adjustments to the ONA. Not even gonna acknowledge garbage like Aikatsu Friends or the Majestic Prince movie.

If 2018 movies were "bad", then most years are. 2018 was an awful year because TV animation projects hit rockbottom, but the movie lineup was solid.

>Penguin Highway, which looks like complete dogshit

Attached: 1553595882001.png (525x713, 393K)

I'd make a bunch of webms, but unfortunately I deleted this misguided flick littered with kitbashed backgrounds, oversaturated colors and terrible CG integration the second I had finished it. At least it doesn't look as bad as the Non Non Biyori movie. Guess that's something to be proud of.