Romans

Is there a Centurion-chan or Legionary-chan?

Attached: cäsar.jpg (800x837, 350K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qXQopue9fOE
penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Polybius/6*.html
pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti from Pompeii.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, but there is some pretty cool fanart

Attached: 28942B16-AE64-4722-8B5E-59F45280FD3F.jpg (640x481, 38K)

Attached: 1552805185918.jpg (1222x759, 133K)

Why is evil always so hot? Willing to be stepped on by Praetorian-sama anyday here.

Are people here all reading Kento Ankokuden Cestvs and Ad Astra, the two Roman manga that are currently getting translated? Are there others I'm forgetting?

Attached: Ad Astra v08 p036-037.jpg (1688x1200, 752K)

t. ant
youtube.com/watch?v=qXQopue9fOE

>Kento Ankokuden Cestvs
Hasn't that ended already? Or did I miss something?

>that filename
"cäsar" is incorrect in this one instance, kraut-kun.
In German, ae does indeed make ä.
But back when Caesar lived, the vowels were pronounced individually. His name sounded a bit like the word Kaiser (which is derived from it).

Dis someone say, Roma?

Attached: [Kooritsukai] Fate⁄EXTRA Last Encore - 13 END [720p][4FE4DAEB].mkv_snapshot_39.33_[2018.08.17_22.1 (1280x720, 1.77M)

>cäsar
Can you eat a whole cheese emperor?

Is this some German joke I’m too Australian to understand

Ja, mein freund. It's just a terrible pun.

Life of Brian.

>We'll never get a Manime about the Punic Wars
>All we'll get is FATE shitting it up by making more historical figures into clones of Saber
Ceterum censeo Fate esse delendam

Attached: The Republic.png (582x1034, 873K)

Given that there is a manga on them, I don't know how you can be so certain of that.

I wonder whether, at least, the manga adaptation "The decisions of Julia Caesar"?

Attached: Julia Caesar no Ketsudan3.jpg (1044x771, 183K)

Cicero performed by the same author

Attached: __original_and_real_life_drawn_by_bitchcraft123__sample-d4f86bda21856f40f303c4968189537a.jpg (850x904, 143K)

>such a tiny forehead
Somebody's not working with the historic sources.

Well of course there is.

Attached: rome was fine until the christians came.jpg (720x960, 68K)

>Rome was fine till the Christians came
>The Republic constantly bred nepotism and corruption
>Armies got decimated by a dude who they had outnumbered
>Multiple times
>Constant civil wars because of glory seeking generals
>The Senate would regularly turn on the people who would come to save Rome out of fear
Rome was never fine. Rome was always on the verge of catching fire.

Attached: 1531476343562.png (2048x1536, 1.95M)

>>Armies got decimated by a dude who they had outnumbered
>>Multiple times
I will not defend the corrupt republic, but on average, the Romans won against larger armies.
There is a reason they even got that huge empire that led to the downfall of the republic.
>>Constant civil wars because of glory seeking generals
No, because of a government that would rather kill reformers than try to fix a glaring problem that everyone should have been aware about.
Caesar's reforms were good. Most people agreed on that. The problem was not his politics, but how he enforced it even though it was literally the only way to get it done at all. The fact that he disregarded Roman law and customs like they meant nothing at all got him the opposition that would later kill him.

Attached: biggus dickus.png (1257x684, 689K)

Why did the authors choose this ugly parody of a dress instead of the Greco-Roman style befitting Nero?

Attached: DF5sI-MUIAAwn0x.jpg (675x1200, 173K)

Has Fate ever attempted to dress anyone appropriately?

Another option

Attached: images (3).jpg (259x195, 12K)

Attached: kKYZlFP.jpg (744x870, 73K)

No, there's a sequel which is basically Part 2.

To be fair, the senate were disregarding laws regarding Caesar as well. There was a mutual antipathy going on since Caesar was genuinly too competent compared to the rest of the senators.

I want to hug Hastati-chan

Boobs

Pretty girl:)

Attached: Julia Caesar no Ketsudan.jpg (1444x2037, 488K)

rather not, they will just make some historical figure into a woman and isekai a nip into it or some shit to show the dirty barbarians the glory of nip culture

Don't use emoticons on Yea Forums.

those are some very strange caligae

is this a Rome Total Was manga?

Attached: Shikisaber3.png (512x724, 368K)

>deploying pikes outside your walls
Nope.

Attached: 1497721889500.png (631x400, 336K)

>that comic with centurion interacting with archimedes
>centurion
>during free syracuse period
i hate nips and historylets so fucking much.

Furthermore,

Pretty sure you'll find Polybian-era legions had Centurions, user.

Here Polybius, see section 24. Polybius goes into detail about centurions.

penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Polybius/6*.html

>A centurion (/sɛnˈtjʊəriən/; Latin: centurio; Greek: κεντυρίων, kentyríōn or ἑκατόνταρχος, hekatóntarkhos) was a professional officer of the Roman army after the Marian reforms of 107 BC.

Now that I see that image, finally got Kaguya's joke

see

>centurions
>polybius
that's a common anglo mistake.
polybius meant centurion as εκατοντάρχος, translated as ordinum ductor.
it was basically "man in charge of a tiny group of men", like imperator was "military commander".
Proper centurions were post marian reform.

velites hugging me would solve all my life problems

>english
only proper way to translate latin is through italian and/or german, same with ancient greek.
english translations tend to butcher it.

>εκατον(τ)
That's literally the word for "hundred"!

hence "small group of men".
a centuria was a 100 men group of soldiers.

>Rome was always on the verge of catching fire.
pretty much this, when you look at the history of their various leaders, emperors, senators and such, it's just a gigantic succession of betrayals, feuds, jealousies and backstabs (often figurative ones, even more often literal ones)

nice thumbnail

Attached: roman waifus.jpg (2048x1536, 277K)

Attached: toge grecque.png (2000x957, 464K)

What would be the point of hunting down an wog or kraut translation to post on a predominately english speaking board?

Describe, in your view, the difference between a Polybian Centurion and Marian one?

>rome was fine until christianity
whoever made this page is a mutt or an underage.

And in what way is an archon of a hundred men different from a centurion of a hundred men?

The true Rome-killer was its expansionist politics driven by debt the Rome had to its citizens.

Soldiers were promissed to get the land, but there wasn't enough land. There wasn't enough soldiers to secure more land. Thus they had to recruit more soldiers by promissing them more land. This economic model was a failure.

wop here
what said is 100% true.
some people tend to forget that sometimes greek/latin authors write in a very generalized way.
in this case
1) centurion by polybius is "some kind of guy that manage to round up a group of men
2) centurion post marian reforms, so the official concept of centurion
Its a thin difference, but a huge one in this case, because talking about centurions during the punic wars is pretty stupid (centurions as in post marian concept).
Also, he was greek, so the generalization is even stronger.

This fits so well, like poetry

i want HBO Rome animated by Kyoani

Muh dick

Wuite ironic when christians were the ones who cared about the Rome and propagated remnants of its culture into the savage part of Europe.

i think you are wrong because the statement is too generalized.

You sound mad.
For no reason, but you do.

Centurions were called centurions by Romans during the Punic Wars and nothing changed regarding their roles post-Marius. The only major change was the number of men under their command, from a half-maniple of 60 men to 80.

No?
marian reforms basically settled the centuries/cohorts/legions thing.

The fuck are you babbling about? The consular legions of 4.5k men had standard organizations with cohorts and maniples hundreds of years before the Punic Wars.

I said settled, not invented, you imbecile.
The legion grew in importance more and more until the marian reforms, where they became the spinal column of the roman army (but it was already it, so its debatable).
>Centurions were called centurions by Romans during the Punic Wars and nothing changed regarding their roles post-Marius.
we're talking about POLYBIUS, holy fuck.

>reading comprehension

I didn't bring up the Punic Wars, your buddy who argues for your case did in And centurions during the early to mid Republic - including during the Punic Wars, and during the siege of Syracuse which was the topic when this argument started - were officers in charge of a century, each supported by an optio, two per maniple, the senior one commanding the right wing, combined into cohorts led by tribunes. That the maniple level of organization was removed by Marius did not lead to the invention of the centurion; the position of the officer of a century was simply retained from pre-Marian legions.
Archimedes meeting a proper fucking centurion is historically plausible, and the real historylet is, in fact, user in

is right tho, talking about centurions (military role) during the period were syracuse was a free city is retarded.
I can bring you tons of book titles and infos about the greek language influencing latin people and language to a stupidly high level, but your mutt is showing.
You're a double imbecile.

rome freak

Did someone say ROMA!

Attached: Rw9F4h6[1].png (772x1238, 376K)

Please tell me you're american, a weeb, or a 16 years old.

Please do. I await eagerly the citation from a reputable source that the centuries in manipular legions were not commanded by centurions, especially in battle. You're going to revolutionize the whole field of study with such a finding.

You sure showed him.

No need to feel rushed, take all the time you need to find the sources.

you have no idea how much books and texts you can find about roman/greek history that you can't find in english.
Its mostly German/French/Italian.
Anglos in general have no way to learn tons of things if we talk about specific situations and personalities.

You're bonkers.

>let's ignore the army of translators/historians in italy, germany and france that worked on latin/greek history, basically importing everything we know about it to a historical/linguistical/archeological level
>let's ignore nearly 2 centuries of works because i like muh cute historically inaccurate girls

You can't find everything through wikipedia/internet, bub. Universities have access to more specific sources.

>let's ignore the entirety of English scholarship because of some super secret sources we can't possibly read and you won't post

Good. I have access to a University database. Start naming papers in English that support your position.

Universities get paid to say things, lad.

Cestvs looks dumb and I've heard and read so much about the Punic Wars that I don't really have any interest in Ad Astra.

>tfw no post-Theodosius manga about the Fall of the West largely following Stillicho

Wonderful, French is one of the languages I can fluently read, so those citations would be my first request. I've only dabbled in Italian, and it's way rustier than my Latin and Classical Greek. I'm afraid I don't speak any German at all, so it would be nice if you could avoid those books. Also, not an Anglo.

sulla did nothing wrong

Attached: ooxbtrm.jpg (1000x1046, 248K)

>let's ignore the entirety of English scholarship because of some super secret sources we can't possibly read and you won't post
>he thinks its a muh sekrit club thing
are you retarded?
>let's ignore the entirety of English scholarship
English literature and works are laughably scarce in both content and quality.
everything has to be paid to say things. i'm just talking about my sources.

>my source
That you refuse to fucking name. Open your belly you worthless faggot.

>arguing with memes

Attached: NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL AUTISM.png (273x240, 155K)

>Open your belly you worthless faggot.
Enjoy your ignorance, you mumbling imbecile.

The act of arguing with memes is a meme itself.
Check mate.

Still no source. Stop pretending you have any idea what you're talking about.

I don't know about you, but he was historically a baldie and had a big complex over it.
Bald anime girls, however, don't exactly work.

>He has a wife, you know...

Only if you stop pretending to know something about history.

Post a reputable source for your absurd claims.

>the republic is forever
Uhhh bros should we tell him?

He did, though indirectly.
Because his arguments are directly based around german and italian wiki of centurions.

Are you trying to tell me his source is a wiki? Not a book, not an academic paper, a fucking wiki that we're supposed to trust because it's not written in English?

This is a greek god circa year 2015

Attached: 94C6338A-73BB-40F5-B329-D6C88CFD8217.png (320x529, 126K)

Wiki articles are rich in infos depending on the language. You can find more info about sumo in the jap wiki, and roman history is incredibly specific in italian/german language wiki articles.

>his "tons of sources" that "Anglos have no way of learning from" are two wikipedia pages

Attached: 1532364160720.png (615x591, 285K)

I could list the books and the pamphlets, but its a lot of time and work.

Why would you need to post a list of titles you haven't read, when everyone can navigate to Italian wikipedia and see them themselves and be just as deeply informed on the original sources as you are?

was she lurking /pol/?

I didn't read them, i studied them, they were part of my study course.
They were my first source, so i used them.
About the language barrier, i can tell you one brit historian name i liked in one hour, because im phoneposting right now.

>be me
>google ancient clothing for prodject
>pic related
>need to masturbate manifests

Attached: 1312934528198.jpg (363x400, 32K)

Ignore the autists, have some Roman shitposting
pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti from Pompeii.htm

Caesar did nothing wrong

Sulla was just an ancient /pol/ack
>Was a NEET before he entries politics
>extremely conservative, so conservative even other conservatives like Cato the Younger hated him
>trap fetishist
>mass murder is an acceptable solution for our political problems

Attached: 1532310976481.jpg (674x867, 169K)

wrong Mary

Attached: 1534308162521.jpg (850x1202, 1.38M)

Sulla and Caesar were literally the same thing. Fuck both of them.

>What if Jesus was a loli

you're only like a decade late user

The best girls come from Rome

Attached: 1373392927188.jpg (732x1000, 231K)

>republic

Here i am.
Wanted some decent/half decent english authors/historians?
Hogsbawn, Said (turbo leftist but decent), Baily, Aydin, and Judt.
Rest of my university books were italian/german/french authors with super specific infos/sources.

>Rome
>blonde
she's a Gaul slave.

>centurions in the punic wars period were the same as the post marian reforms
>ignores the language situation in republican Rome
all of my keks

No, nobody needs to read the entire pile of books you had to read to get your degree, nor does anyone give a fuck about a list of Brits you worship. A single precise source with page numbers in any language would be where you should start, if it claims that centurions didn't exist when Archimedes was fucking around in Syracuse.

God you're a fucking idiot.
>posts sources
>hurr it doesn't matter
also this

>nor does anyone give a fuck about a list of Brits you worship.
you literally asked for them, you even want the pages?
are you retarded?
>A single precise source with page numbers in any language would be where you should start, if it claims that centurions didn't exist when Archimedes was fucking around in Syracuse.
You can't be serious, kek.

>Asks for sources
>guy gives them to him
>hurr give me pages

Attached: animenog2.jpg (1424x1080, 382K)

Triarii and hastati are the best

I love Roman history explicitly because it was such a trashfire. bill wurtz should do a history video of it.

Attached: sulla.jpg (850x889, 130K)

why does she become retarded in panel 4?

I asked for citations in all languages, but preferably not German in Again, I'm not an Anglo and don't feel English language historians are any superior to academics publishing in other languages.

>Wanted some decent/half decent english authors/historians?
No, scrolling through this thread and rereading all comments, not one person asked for them.
Going through your list of Brits:
>Hogsbawm
Is that supposed to be Eric Hobsbawm? Looking through his bibliography, didn't speak a word about Rome.
>(Paul) Said, presumably
Post-colonial history, if I'm not mistaken, nothing about the Classical World.
>Baily
Sir Christopher Bayly? The British imperial and Indian history guy?
>Aydin
Can't find anything Rome or Latin related on academic databases.
>Judt
More modern European history.

This argument is NOT ABOUT MODERN BRITISH HISTORY. We're talking about the 3rd century BC Latin usage and concept of "centuriō" and related terms. Post something that's relevant to the discussion. Latin, French, Italian, Greek, it's all fine. Classical texts, etymological dictionaries, research papers, books, anything. A classical historian and a Latin linguist would obviously be behind a prime candidate for the authorship of such a text, not someone who specializes in the industrial revolution and development of Marxism. I'll even go through a German paragraph or two with DeepL and a dictionary in hand if I need to, asking you for clarification if I don't understand what Fritz is saying about centurions. If you're lazy and don't want to find the correct page, I'll download the book and Ctrl-F through it. Just post one publication that supposedly supports your outlandish argument.

>QVINTILII VARE
>MIHI LEGIONES REDDE

Attached: muh legions.png (460x553, 105K)

Caesar made no purges of Rome.
Caesar was forward thinking.
Caesar did not resign when he thought he was done and got murdered instead.

I would happily pay all my NEETbux for the chance to watch an anime about roman history and conquest in the Pax Romania.

Attached: 1510974133091.jpg (732x1000, 662K)

Venetian Republic > Roman Republic > French Republic > American "republic"

Attached: 28353605_p0_master1200.jpg (1000x683, 1.07M)

I would FVUCC this gaul slave so hard.

Mate, Japanese have yet to make a full Three Kingdoms or Warring States period anime. And that's very much stuff that is way higher in public interest than their own Pax Romania, the 漢 Dynasty shenanigans.

Roman republic --> Venetian Republic

why is it that only italians/romans know how to make something great even better?

So I bought total war rome II because of this meme and I don't get one thing: The first mission where two consuls were kidnapped and we have to create big war-effort to save them. Why just not vote new ones?