Why does RahXephon not have a fanbase when other weird anime like Lain do?

Why does RahXephon not have a fanbase when other weird anime like Lain do?

Attached: 81gFJuYX4+L._RI_.jpg (1600x1200, 326K)

It was partially in Eva's shadow, whereas Lain was so high quality and unique nothing could readily compare.

But it does? What would you have them do, create a thread about it every day? And what, do you think Lain gets "genuine" threads anymore instead of just memeing about Duvet?
Also, you could do this whole "why don't people talk about X" routine about a plethora of anime.

Attached: mpv-shot0031.png (720x541, 380K)

RahXephon has better animation than Eva, and some of its episodes get just as trippy as EoE. So why does it not have even a half of its popularity?

>He bumped the thread from page 10 just to write this rubbish
Bloody hell, you sound like a tryhard kid. Please kill yourself.

Attached: mpv-shot0030.png (720x541, 377K)

RahZephone was too Evangelion, I watched it like 10 ago and remember that I would probably like it more if I knew more about music. Lain, in hindsight, is a marvel it predicted internet and internet culture and behaviors a good 10 years before they started manifesting.

Homage is not a bad thing. It did a lot of things better then Eva. Also best girl wins.

Many reasons
-it was made after NGE which means that entry-level newfags will always call it an NGE ripoff; people who actually watch anime, mecha in particular, know how retarded this assessment is
-it was made during the early 2000s and never got a proper BD remaster but instead is stuck at an upscaled DVD resolution; if the interest was there, it could get a properly rescanned BD remaster, but it won't
-mirroring NGE, it's the opposite to Evangelion in many ways; its themes, atmosphere and narrative approach; one is depressed and desperate, there other hopeful, one is character driven, the other plot driven; character driven novels have always been more populat than plot driven novels because they make it easier for the reader to self insert; plot driven mystery stories are more a nerd/scifi thing
-it is, ironically, too well constructed for the average viewer and therefor "confusing" - but since it has similarities to NGE this confusion isn't appreciated but instead discredited as "bad directing"; what it takes inspiration from is too niche and unorthodox (mesoamerican culture and history, thematically relevant homages to western operas and music, Nacaal symbolism as intergrated parts of mechanical designs, story blueprint loosely based on a short story called Dandelion Girl etc.)

Or to put it simple: Izubuchi is too smart for the industry and the people who watch anime. It requires too much attention and dedictation on the audiences end, is too traditional in the way it presents Chekhov's Guns to the audience, ask the audience to actually be empathetic for the characters and understand human pain and suffering without being confronted with teen-angst and yelling (e.g. NGE, Madoka) and a bunch of other reasons. It's not hard to understand why RahXephon is a very esoteric show.

Attached: 1539220964997.png (894x768, 53K)

because it's pretty much straight forward I guess.

Because RahXephon is literally, and by literally I don't mean "figuratively", but *LITERALLY*, the WORST written series EVER made in the whole history of human animation.
It works as an excellent negative example to follow: if I were to tell anyone how to write a decent anime, I would say: "Just don't do anything even remotely resembling RahXephon".

is this some copypasta macro I'm not aware of?

This is a good post, although it diminishes the extent to which RahXephon directly borrows from NGE - which is truly massive, and one of the major reasons why it isn't held in the same regard as NGE

NGE is my favourite thing of all time but I loved RahXephon. Episode 18?19? is one of the GOATs.

There is a lot that RahXephon does better than NGE, but I don't think it ever reaches the same heights, although it is an excellent show in its own right

Design-wise it is magnificent - visually very striking and memorable, music has this warm bittersweet melancholy

I suppose when I think about it it is in some ways strange that it hasn't a greater following. I can only think that is directly because of how much it draws from NGE, and there's only room for 1 'deep' mecha show in most people's minds.

Although I do think the above poster touches on one of the other important parts - teh caracters are kind of too well-adjusted and generally less itneresting -- Kamina is kind of flat. The best IMO were Asahina (

Because not!Egyptian songbots are weird.

> it diminishes the extent to which RahXephon directly borrows from NGE - which is truly massive
Why do you type this much when you're a complete newfag who doesn't know shit about the mecha genre or literary/fictional works that are being directly referenced throughout the show? Maybe stop being uneducated before you bother pretending to be knowledgable. Your kind is part of the problem.

It's not ironic weeb friendly like Lain.

Bravo user. I didn't think it was possible to be so pretentious and delusional at the same time.

Serious question:
Is there any person here who actually managed to understand anything about the plot in less than 3 consecutive rewatchs?

This better be a trick question.

Attached: 1549745124586.jpg (1280x720, 168K)

I will reply sincerely though this does not really derserve it --

I don't really care about the mecha genre, I don't think that that is important here -- . the ppint is how much Rahxephon idrectly lifts from NGE. If you are saying all those things rahxephon takes are not novel in NGE and are present in mecha predating NGE, well OK, but I don't really believe you - especially when we are talking down to things like a lot of the shots being the very same

>HIGHSCHOOLER BECOMES A GOD!!!
Imagine liking this shit

This summs it up perfectly, good one user

It doesn't matter what you believe. It's factual. Most things, such as episode structure, are directly lifted from older shows. Both NGE and RahXephon have an episode with two, differently colored Dolems/Angels that attack the protagonist in a zone that makes it hard for them to maneuver. Oh wow, this already existed in Raideen, the show that served as RahXephons primary inspiration. Rememder the ending sequence RahXephon and EoE share? Directly liften from Birth, an OVA from the 80s that Anno, very coincidentally, worked on as an animator. Akira's mother (protagonist of Raideen) created the Raideen mech and is an autistic superhuman individual who can use magic. Wow, a mother having a special role like Quon and Yui. What a coincidence that this was a concept in 75 already. This goes on and on and on and on.

If you don't know mecha, and if you don't know the history of the genre and anime as an artform, you are in no position to comment on similarities between individual entries. Inspiration isn't linear. Either watch anime, or stop pretending to be knowledgable enough to identify unique similarities. You're quite frankly the sort of person I referred to in that initial post. An entry-level newfag who knows about as much about the genre as the average r/anime user and the primary reason why the show is being shunned in the first place.

>Most things, such as episode structure, are directly lifted from older shows. Both NGE and RahXephon have an episode with two, differently colored Dolems/Angels that attack the protagonist in a zone that makes it hard for them to maneuver.

Yes, please note that none of what you listed are any of the aspects that make NGE unique or a special show

There are relative degrees of similarity. Yes, I don't disbelieve that NGE borrows a lot of things from other shows. But RaxhXephon borrows so much from a single prior work in NGE to the extent that's distracting for most people.

If you think that's unfair and it borrows no more from NGE than NGE does from 'Raideen' or whatever -- ok, haven't seen 'Raideen' - but pretty sure you're lying

What's strange is that it seems very natural to me to simultaneously apperciate that rahxephon is very good while also recognising that borrowing so heavily from the single most identifiable work of the late 90s probably affects the way its perceived. There is no need to pretend like it takes no more than is 'usual'

cool story

>I have no experience or knowledge yet my opinion is still valuable!
I have a hard time seeing how RahXephon takes what makes NGE unique. NGE is a psychoanalysis and character study. RahXephon isn't. In fact, it's the polar opposite. If you think that the visual depiction of introspection is unique to NGE, then we're back to square one since your lack of knowledge once again exposed you as the fraud you are.
>ok, haven't seen 'Raideen'
You should probably add that you haven't seen "anything", otherwise you'd be aware of the fact that Anno quite literally copy pasted dozens of sequenes from other shows and hardly even modified them prior to integrating them into NGE. NGE was made as a love letter to the mecha genre, that's why it's littered with hundreds of references. If you "don't care about mecha", then you're not even in a position to properly appreciate NGE and quite literally disqualified to comment on anything related to it.

cringe

>NGE was made as a love letter to the mecha genre,

You can call me a 'fraud' (though I'm unsure what I'm fraudently presenting myself as -- someone that has watched Rahxephon and NGE???), but this is flat out wrong. In no way is the central idea of NGE a 'love letter to the mecha genre'.

You don't really seem to understand how much the genre shapped Anno, his lifestyle and the struggles he went through. Well, how could you? You're ignorant of his directing and the copious amount of homages found in the show you pretend to treasure. Don't worry, though. You share that trait with the vast majority of western NGE fans.

Autism

OP, this thread is the reason why RahX never got a big fanbase

So many pearls dropped before the swine.

>everything has a source of inspiration, some more than others
Why is /m/ so hung up on this shit when discussing anything related to Gainax?

Probably because most of Anno's fans are extremely ignorant of their favourite director's life and career. They treat him like an inventor, when what he really is is an exceptionally talented salesman. NGE and EoE are incredible because of how flawlessly packaged (and polished) they are. Just so happens that his fans come off as extremely obnoxious for not realizing this. Now many people on /m/ hate Gainax out of principle.