Which style is best suited for Anime?

Which style is best suited for Anime?

Attached: 1.png (800x600, 16K)

Attached: 1539446104588.jpg (1440x1080, 1.19M)

digital is more pretty and detailed i guess

For practicality: Digital
For a e s t h e t i c purposes: Cel.

Cel only began not-sucking in the 90's, where it was incredible.
Digital has not yet hit it's apex.

there is an anime about an island with everlasting cherry blossoms and it was made for digital animation with all its vivid colors

cel is nice and has its charm
But digital is cheaper and more versatile, not to mention far less time consuming.

>Cel only began not-sucking in the 90's,
>what is akira, patlabor, VHD, z gundam etc.

Half of what you mentioned isn't even TV anime.
Also, Zeta Gundam, really? Is this what you call "not sucking"?
Half of the scenes on that didn't have shading nor detail.

Attached: af9514203150c371685813d747ba450e.gif (500x369, 389K)

>best suited
No clue.
>I like more
Cel, by far.

I'm an OG. I'm biased for Cel. I feel it in my bones. I even did a few Cel pieces while studying. That said I work in CGI so I can't deny that Digital simply has far more going for it. IIRC Princess mononoke fused early digital/CGI with a largely cel production. I think that and spirited away were cel's apex unless I'm missing something.
Digital will eclipse those works in time. There is so much yet untapped potential in digital but it's been largely used to cost-cut corner-cut so we aren't seeing it yet.

Moe, Slice of life: Digital.
Everything else: Cel.

In terms of looks, cel by far. Painted cels have more charm and character. Digital is too sterile and optimized.

You're retarded

>Half of what you mentioned isn't even TV anime.
Where did this goalpost come from? What a cock gurgling retard.

Cel is superior in terms of color and line fidelity. It also scales better with higher resolution formats due to the relative high detail of most film grains. Digital is superior in terms of the effects and cuts you can (more easily) do. Digital is cheaper in terms of materials required, but hard limited in detail to whatever resolution it was produced in (RIP early 00s anime). I await the day when digital coloring doesn't suck.

Digital surpass everything that cell had to offers since the beginning of 2010's.

Dumb Kyoanus licker

Watched a show from the 80s and it did have a lot of issues with off model characters as well as less QC but the action scenes were definitely better.

Attached: 1550656315277.png (640x480, 210K)

You always make it so obvious who you are because you only ever quote that one exact scene from Macross. You're a moron.

Nobody has used celluloid sheets for anime for almost 20 years, and never will.

Manual cel painting and composition is an extremely labor-intensive process, requires extra staff like colorists, makes later touch-up difficult, and adds nothing to the final product except fade, misalignment, color inconsistency and grain, all of which can be simulated digitally if you want, but nobody is interested. (Digital linework does make a difference, but that is still done on paper for a lot of anime)

What sucks about digital painting and composition is that around the early 00s, quite a lot of anime (including masterpieces like Haibane Renmei) was produced digitally in standard definition and looks terrible in HD compared to earlier cel animation scanned from film stock, but that is thankfully not a problem with more modern series.

I watched all of SDF, and it was pretty good, there were tons of moments where the characters were off-model. I really hated that my two favorite characters got the short end of the stick during their fight against each other. A counter example would be Patlabor where characters were pretty on model all the time.

Digital is more versatile, so it's digital. Cel's only upside was that any retard could draw/paint visually appealing backgrounds. Took virtually no skill to paint a traditional background. No matter how shit a show looked, the backgrounds always matched cause it was borderline impossible for them to not do. Digital backgrounds are hard to make because, apparently, you actually need a minimal amount of artistic understanding or else you get shit like pic rel.

Attached: 1552242770194.png (1920x1080, 2.1M)

>Cel's only upside was that any retard could draw/paint visually appealing backgrounds.

...you know you can just scan pictures into the computer, right?

Yea, that's what studios do and they look terrible. Look at most of the backgrounds in PA Works TV anime. They look bloody abysmal and are such cheaply filtered photographs that it's almost offensive to be forced to look at them. Other studio plaster their shitty shows with nothing but kitbashed garbage, unironically believing for it to look good.

Giving these people additional tools was a mistake. It literally exposed them for the frauds they are. During the cel era it was easy. Tell some art school dropout to pick up a brush and paint a skyscraper. It looked good, no matter how mediocre the guy was as his double digit IQ job. Now they can choose between drawing, scanning, kitbash and a bunch of other methods and due to being incompetent, they often pick he ones that looks worst.

I'd rather have 80 IQ retards doing good backgrounds than 110 IQ autismos doing garbage backgrounds with better tools. Autismos are boring to be around anyway.

You're contradicting yourself. If it "took virtually no skill to paint a traditional background", why aren't they doing it now and then scanning it? Oh wait, because it actually takes WAY MORE artistic skill and time to paint a traditional background than to half-ass a CG background from basic shapes and premade textures.

>You're contradicting yourself.
I don't think you actually understnad what a contradiction is. My entire post refers to artistic choices. Fucking retard. If your goal are hyper realistic backgrounds, then the obvious choice is to resort to scanning and editing. There isn't a single TV show from the cel era that even had hyper realistic backgrounds. Hell, hyper-realism wasn't even a concept back then. The only reason why it is now is because it's financially feasible.

Any mongrel can pick up a brush and paint a rock. That's why every single shitty 80s TV show had backgrounds that matched. Not because the industry was littered with skilled background artists, but because any fucking retard could do it. Next you'll tell us how coloring cels, aka Color By Number, required artistic skill. Wash your mouth with lead you fucking boomer.

Cell
Digital is cancer

Nostalgiafag.

cel
digital is all low effort crap
even the high effort shit looks like garbage

Digital is way easier and cleaner than cell. It only has benefits. Anyone who claims cel animation because it looks grittier with it's noise and film grain are Yea Forumsutists.

He's not only a nostalgiafag, he's also fucking retarded. Digital anime aren't limited to the resolution they were produced in. You can simply rescan and recolor and drawings and make a bluray remaster despite the initial hardlocked resolution, as seen for various anime such as Mind Game. Digital is only hardlocked at a resolution if the studio disposted of the drawings, or if the financial incentive isn't high enough to rescan them.

Macross was literally animated by amateur college students in a brand new studio, dumbass.