What went so horribly, horribly wrong?

What went so horribly, horribly wrong?

Attached: 74975.jpg (675x318, 103K)

Its a remake of something that can't be remade

3.0 happened.

2.0 was just as bad, and 1.0 is just a shittier looking version of the original.

2.0 was nowhere near the gigantic pile of shit that 3 was

2.0 wasn't as bad as 3.0, at the very least it left a very good setup for the next movie. 1.0 was just a super condensed version of the first what, 8 episodes of the show?

2.0 was fanfic tier but it still felt like Evangelion. 3.0 was so far removed that it damn near unrecognizable. There was such a disconnect between 2 and 3 and it was just jarring. When SRW doesn't even bother with 3.0, you know something went wrong.

Everything went just right.
I believe that the Rebuild detractors can't understand what is happening in the films, because they're unable to see the very transparent thing Anno is doing.
Each film both fits perfectly into the greater narrative of Eva, as well as being an individual, metatextual criticism of Eva as a whole.

You can't just say things like that without further explanation.

Especially not in this format. The show hooked an audience with a very deliberate impression of unfolding mystery and a solvable puzzle, but a retread of old work is going to have an audience that knows the old story or looks it up or just incidentally hears about it, they'll have expectations. That can still work, you can make departures from the original work to tell an audience they don't know what's going on and get them excited for what's changed, just not in movies released too slowly to deliver on suspense and a speculative atmosphere before it dies off again. And Anno fucked up, he revealed the writing process before the ending, how the story was made as it went and points that sounded important were just created by convenience, that's poison for investment in a plot.

>it's bad on purpose!
Ok bro

1 and 2 at least felt faithful to the Evangelion universe. 3 was such a strange change of pace that I have absolutely no idea what to expect from 4. by the way, didnt 3 come out in 2013? are we even sure 4 is being worked on?

I'm gonna need you to elaborate because the cluster fuck of rewrites and whatnot between 1 and 2 makes it seem more like Anno trying to do too much and losing himself in the process.

Anno doesn't want to end it because at that point absolutely everyone will realize that Rebuild is a trainwreck cashgrab with no plan whatsover.

It's trash but I'm happy to see more Evangelion.

>are we even sure 4 is being worked on?
Yes, for God's sake, have you not seen the millions of threads about khara posting BTS stuff on Twitter?

The first thing you need to recognize is that Evangelion is split into 4 distinct acts.
>Shinji's arrival in Tokyo-3
>Shinji's life in Tokyo-3
>Tumbling down
>The End

And each of the Rebuild films tells one of these acts, but changes minor set pieces enough to make the audience feel uncomfortable and this is where the individual metatextual critique of Eva happens.
The first is the odd one out, it's just the first bunch of episodes again. It's the worst of the 3 by a lot, because it's uninteresting.
The second however changes a lot. It introduces Mari a new character. People don't like Mari. I think that's because Mari is a character that doesn't belong in Eva, she doesn't act like you would expect an Eva pilot to act and that's what makes her interesting. Between the 3 pilots each of them has a deep meaningful reason to pilot, Shinji to prove that he's useful, Asuka because she derives her self-worth from it and Rei to connects with people. Mari isn't like that at all. Mari doesn't care much about anything. She thinks it's fun. This would be bad and uninteresting, if it was anything except Eva. It makes you wonder, what's wrong with Mari?

The second film also addresses the idea of Eva as an action spectacle and questions like "why doesn't Shinji stop being a pussy". The entire film is all wrong. It's not what Eva is like.
Sure, it hits all the important beats of the second act of the show (except Magma Diver), but it does so, it a weird and disconnected way that just makes you feel uneasy. That's not how it's supposed to be happening. The fight with Zeruel and Shinji "saving" Rei by screaming loudly is the most un-Eva thing I can imagine.
To recap: The second film tells you the story of the second act, except it does so while not being very "Eva". It asks the "why doesn't Shinji just man up" people "is this what you wanted?"

The third film is where you can start to recognize what I am talking about, while also being a return to retelling Eva faithfully. I know this sounds a bit odd, but let me explain.
In the TV show, Shinji is lost inside 01 after overcoming Zeruel, he's stuck in there for a month, until Misato goes and gets him. Tokyo-3 changed a lot during that time, the city is deserted, a far cry from what it was before. Then Fuyutsuki tells us about Yui, how NERV started and what happened in Antarctica 15 years ago.
Asuka undergoes a major trauma and is lost for a significant amount of time. Rei is killed and replaced by another copy.
Kaworu shows up, comforts Shinji and Shinji is forced to kill him, the only person who he felt truly understood him and truly cared about him.
And that's the third act of the TV show.
Isn't that exactly what happens in the third film as well?
Sure, some things were shuffled around, like Asuka's trauma and Rei dying and the scale was slightly upped, but it's at its heart, the same story.
The third film is by far the most interesting in that regard, because it is a fateful retelling of the third act of the TV show.
People get upset about the time skip, Misato not being nice to Shinji and all that, but it's masterful, because Anno pulls the rug on the audience in such a fantastic way that it truly makes you feel like Shinji too. You're lost and confused, just as much as Shinji is. Anno makes you empathize with how Shinji feels during the events of the film and that doesn't feel very good, so people got upset about it.

Of course there are many details in the films that are interesting and exciting, like Kaworu knowing about Shinji beforehand, the red oceans, Gendo killing Seele and all that. But I don't know or care too much about them.

It is clear that the concept for the films as a critical retelling of the series was born during these rewrites, because you see none of it in the first film and the second and third film are loaded with it.

>It's a lame retread that does nothing new on purpose
Okay bro

tl;dr
>it's shit shit on purpose!
No, Mari doesn't go from being a shit character with no purpose other than to sell more figurines to genius metatextual commentary just because she's in Evangelion.
No, everyone acting like complete retards and all the dumb shit that ensues from that don't make you "feel lost and confised like Shinji".
They're just shit movies.

Interesting take. Makes me appreciate the rebuilds more though I still think NGE+EoE is much better

EoE is the worst thing ever made.

>People get upset about the time skip, Misato not being nice to Shinji and all that, but it's masterful, because Anno pulls the rug on the audience in such a fantastic way that it truly makes you feel like Shinji too. You're lost and confused, just as much as Shinji is. Anno makes you empathize with how Shinji feels during the events of the film and that doesn't feel very good, so people got upset about it.
interesting take. I know by the end of the third movie I just wanted Shinji to catch a break, that's for sure.

Care to elaborate?

>They're just shit movies.
That's what you say, but maybe you should watch the original show and recognize that it's just a shit TV show

agree with this.
3.33 was TLJ tier.

That's just revising Shinji returning from EVA-01 and everything he liked about his life turning sour to contain it to a movie. It's still worse than episodes 20-24 for how much is removed to focus on Shinji's decline without breaking it up, blowing the design sense with a shithouse New Nautilus and dumb-looking Evas, with Animorphs transformations and oversized God Eater melee weapons, and turning Shinji vs EVA-02 into a slap fight with drones.

Attached: they don't mean this to be funny.webm (1080x458, 2.62M)

But that's not true, when was the last time you watched the film?

>from the director of the piece of shit FLCL and Diebuster

Please don't blame Tsurumaki for Anno going senile. He has directed prime kino during the rare moments when he was left out of the Rebuild dungeon.

Attached: friday.jpg (3840x2160, 1.24M)

Also the assistant series director of NGE and director of episodes 1, 2, 16, and the first half of EoE, he knows better.

Attached: No wait a sec... Not even Kureiji Daiyamondo can fix this shit taste.jpg (1632x1154, 908K)

fpbp