Why do some people act like anime is a super niche thing?

I keep seeing these people on ''fun things are fun'' threads. Why do you all act like this?!

Attached: pp,550x550.jpg (392x550, 65K)

because although it's not super niche it's still niche so people will exaggerate it

Is it not?

A hand ful of anime is very main stream. However a general like of anime is kind of niche. I don't count the people who go
>oh I've seen all the xxx anime I'm such an otaku~~~
as people who actually like anime.

Partially because it was niche 2~4 decades ago when globalization wasn't as strong as today or had services like netflix/crunchyroll/amaxon-prime/etc. So partially its a residue of that, although it is grown to be some-what mainstream - especially among the minority populations. Interestingly the growth also corresponds to IT-related white collar jobs, so probably there is some share between hobbies from computer-geeks, pirates, and other techphilis (maybe due to the IT boom in Japan decades ago?)

"Fun thing are fun" are more akin to marketing tactics, and good old human group-think. Generally the industry benefits from this mentality as you can push works at cheaper production and inferior quality for only sharing that brand name. Did you ever had those moments when you or your friend argued a product/show being great, and the reason was because it was a spin-off of this series, made by this company/author, or shared a genre or universe (like the MCU)? Well its the same thing, somewhat of mental shortcut that everyone does to everything, and it works to make money.

Anime is normie as shit now dude

>like anime
That's such a retarded premise. That's like saying "I like movies". For some reason anime is treated as this one huge genre called 'anime' and if you're a TRUE anime fan, you need to like all of it. Even though it's not. That's like saying someone who likes South Park is a cartoon fan

>now
There has always been "normie" anime

Because it is.
Ask 100 random people on the street what anime is and I bet you less than 5 people will know.

Because it's all they have in their life

Attached: E1B2F179-EB37-47B5-B1B7-95FC9D6DFF01.png (403x460, 303K)

This is the only correct answer

It depends on where you are asking this question.

>That's like saying "I like movies".
No it's not, it's like saying "I like Japanese movies". Or saying "I like anime" instead of "I like cartoons", because you know damn well Japanese cartoons are not going to pop up in the mind of most Westerners.

source?

>I like Japanese movies
Which is still fucking retarded

At least here in Argentina it isn't. There is no anime in TV nor home media, anime movies have limited releases and usually do average at the box office in relation to its amount of exhibitions.

>only watched live action anime adaptations and has no idea what's real Japanese cinema like

How so?

Depends on where you live. Everyone knows what the fuck anime is where I'm from. Them Chinese Cartoons dubbed in the local language air in morning blocks on the TV every day and everyone at least had one anime they watched growing up. Now, not everyone is a hardcore aficionado to the point of being Otaku or Hardcore weebs, but that's a given. That kind of passion or obsession is always a niche no matter what the medium.

Because we were watching anime back when it was super niche you giant fucking gaping anus. Just because a bunch of normies run around watching badly translated shit on Hulu these days doesn't mean shit. /THEY'RE/ not posting on Yea Forums, why the fuck should I change

Attached: file.png (680x680, 1.25M)

anime is made to be aired on fucking TV, that's the definition normalfag shit

there is no anime on tv tho

Because it makes them feel special, it's basically the same reason why fans of something, eg. deeply cliched, will endlessly defend it because "Nobody understands this except me"

>when it was super niche
Anime has never been super niche.

Holy shit go outside grandpa.

OP, you are witnessing an older generation fail to come to terms with the fact that their niche hideout hobby isn't as niche as they think it is. Often they will assume that the Japanese care zero for western audiences (true 15 years ago) and they still think people react to anime the same way the kids did when they were in high school. However, thanks to the memetic power of this board, ironic weebing proved to be too funny to remain here alone. When you have big time ecelebs grokking the ironyweeb terminology with ease, and joining in on the fun, it normalises anime by moving passed the cringe factor by making you laugh.

Ever seen this pictures of people shopping cute anime girls into a picture with them? This is now a normie joke. Calling people senpai, or name-kun is bit more risky but still funny.

To everyone else, your hobby is now normal. Watch it go the way of video games.

Now it's much more popular and gets way more media attention
thank netflix and streaming sites, as well as plebbit. plus ironic weebs

Not really, only netflix adaptations get any western media attention.

>Holy shit go outside grandpa.
I do.
I've never seen anyone talk or even mention anime.

It depends on the country. In some countries you won't see people talking about the latest episode of Game of Thrones for example.

He's not saying that it's not okay to like Japanese movies, but actually saying "I like Japanese movies" is moronic because it's simply too broad of a classification to be sensical.

The real problem is you newfags on Yea Forums using terminology like normie.

This might be true where you live, but even then, if you only ask people below the age of 25, most of them would know. Even if you live in some third world country or bumblefuck hillbilly village.

>if you only ask people below the age of 25, most of them would know.
And that is the point!
It is niche because only specific age group knows about it.

The insecure people who post that are NEET losers with no job and no social skills, and probably no friends. And they WANT that - they WANT to be shunned and ostracized for things out of their control like being ugly, or things that shouldn't be shamed, like their harmless hobbies such as anime-watching.

Anime being normalized destroys this. Their 'niche' hobby is suddenly full of all sorts of people including those who have jobs, social skills and friends. It presents the losers with the cold and bitter truth - that they're unloved and uncared for because they're boring and unlikeable people, not because of their hobby.

Or it's just people trying to keep Yea Forums elitist and unwelcoming to outsiders, which frankly I can support because it's really tiresome seeing newcomers who've watched like five anime coming in raving about how they think Boku No Hero Academia or Shield Hero are special and wonderful.

Older generation may not know the word anime in western countries but if you tell them the name of an old anime they will be like ooooh I know that one. My parents don't know what anime is but they watched a shit ton of anime when they were kids.

t. zoomer

most of the world population grew up with anime for years you know? i dont know how you can call something like this niche

Certain genres in anime are more popular than others. Like how everyone and their fucking dogs know about OPM. Plus in South East Asia people grew up with shit like Doraemon and a lot of young people in Latin America grew up with DBZ. So not exactly a niche thing.

>Certain genres in anime are more popular than others
You are allowed to say the s-word you know.

I need the s-word pass

With the exception of a couple of series that are completely inoffensive to normal fags, I have never heard anybody openly discussing anime. So as a whole I would say it definitely is still niche.