Compared to the last two decades, have MC's changed for the better or worse ?

Compared to the last two decades, have MC's changed for the better or worse ?

Attached: 02.jpg (1859x1038, 1.06M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rWt5WB7wtJ0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

MC's used to be someone you aspired to be, often big muscle men or smart and cunning people more so than book smart.
Now MC's are someone the reader wants to insert as.
Times change, and so do preferences.
Fuck fujos

OP here
/thread

Um, where's tenchi on the left?

It's amazing to me how these cherrypicked images still gain traction. I'm also amazed that people still don't know what fujo means.

fujos and unironic fags have possibly ruined shounen for ever with their mental illness
prove me wrong

fujoshi and BL are not a new fucking trend.

There are more characters on the left that attract fujoshi than characters on the right.

Deku is a lot more relatable and fleshed out than boring Gary Stu Kenshiro. Subaru went through so much more shit than your edgelord Guts. B-B-BUT MUSCLE! I WANT MUSCLE MANS!

Nah, a lot of characters surpassed the ones you like. Take off those nostalgia goggles and maybe you'll enjoy something for once.

Attached: 1485344549220.jpg (1136x640, 72K)

>its another nostalgiafag circlejerk thread
Just keep watching those Toonami tapes grandpa

I'm a lot more willing to give a show that doesn't feature a dark haired high school aged japanese boy as the MC a chance

/thread

what about naruto

>wanting to be a twink and a virgin

You can't deny the trends though, older teen and young adult muscle men are out, twinks are in

not him but I was willing to give him a change as well until I realized he was a dumb idiot with a deus ex machina inside him that autistically screamed his life goals everytime he walked into a room

why is Isekai Maou guy on the right
he's not like the other characters at all

>not including ikari shinji because he would fit on the other side better.
bad comparison

>just realized that they had to pick a super unflattering image of Kanye to prove their point
El oh el

Deku and Subaru get more ass than Kenshiro and Guts. They're infinitely better as characters. And besides most women actually prefer prettyboys over huge bodybuilders. If you actually talked to a female for once in your life you would know this.

>not realizing Shinji Ikari is made to poke at the ridiculous idea that teenagers are piloting mecha and fighting wars
>not realizing that this cherry picked image purposefully has to ignore him because the idea of a character like him existing in the 90s specifically made to make fun of the stuff on the right completely destroys the idea that this is a new trend

Why is there pictures of me all over the right side of op's pic.

That's kind of a good point. Gurls tend to stay away from shounen or seinen romcom leads unless there was some other worthwhile guy that plays off of the MC somehow. Meanwhile on the left side people regularly have Lupin and Kenshiro take it up the bum.

But I don't see obese, balding, acne-ridden fedora wearers on the right?

I aspire to get fit like asta

Attached: 1536978906125.jpg (1250x705, 242K)

Asta isn't a "big muscle man" when he's a sub 5'6 manlet

What would the inverse of this look like?

On the "then" side you could have people like Tenchi, Andromeda Shun, Futaba, Hibari, Kindaichi, any given Mitsuru Adachi lead, the guy from Maison Ikkoku, the guy from Kimagure Orange Road, Moroboshi, etc

And then on the "now" side you could have Sword from Garo, the Sengoku Basara boys, whatsisface from Megalo Box, Gintoki, Sugimoto, White Blood Cell, the Hinomaru Sumo kid, Gouda Takeo, Toriko, etc

Attached: o0650036614065789344.jpg (650x366, 32K)

It's all the fault of moe.

Attached: Moe (2).jpg (1002x1011, 203K)

>deus ex machina
That's a completely appropriate usage of that phrase. Thumbs up.

>only comparing male protagonists

Attached: 1512165527329.jpg (1280x720, 101K)

This

Attached: BA72CF4A-002E-4108-AFDE-6CD26389624B.jpg (1440x809, 214K)

Attached: 1534830412972.jpg (1280x720, 77K)

No.

>Compared to the last two decades
Kamijou Touma from Toaru majutsu no Index actually belongs to the 2000s since the LN is published in 2004 and the anime aired in 2008.

Yeah, I noticed that I'm there too. Funny, isn't it?

Attached: 20190411_184533.jpg (1858x1038, 1.09M)

>not being an exact copy of Oreki
Look at this faggot.

Attached: houtarou-oreki-38725.jpg (389x600, 24K)

this image always makes me smile because it's something some people actually believe

>MCs used to be people you self-inserted as
>now they're just people you self-insert as

>Modern LN adaptations are just about beta-looking self-insert character
>Older LNs are just about Chad Alpha looking self-insert charcters.
This is the main difference

Attached: Rune soldier Louie.jpg (640x480, 93K)

>left is 90% action adventure
>right is 90% rom-coms
And people still fall for this bullshit.

What? I get you're going for a joke here but it's kinda hard to insert as a 6 foot + 220 lb muscled guy when you are likely short as fuck as a nip. It took the industry long enough to catch on and make the MCs more like their average reader

>It took the industry long enough to catch on
they knew it from the fucking start, there are plenty of shows starring Japanese children in the 80s and 90s. The only reason you think differently is because Toonami never brought them over.

Then why were't those types of shows and manga should have been more popular in the east?
Fact is the 80s and 90s had different MCs types for popular shows and manga, even in Japan

Pre 2000 Isekais>>> Psot 2000 isekai

Attached: TWHE.jpg (1280x1772, 595K)

The majority of both are crap if you aren't cherry-picking.

/thread

user, has a whole list of examples going against your point

literal trash > isekais

Funny how none of those ever attained the popularity of even a third of OPs image on the left.

That spiky haired guy in the white and orange shits looks pretty manly though

that's 1 of 22

>On the "then" side you could have people like Tenchi, Andromeda Shun, Futaba, Hibari, Kindaichi, any given Mitsuru Adachi lead, the guy from Maison Ikkoku, the guy from Kimagure Orange Road, Moroboshi, etc

None of them look that much alike, which is part of what this troll image is about. Not just looking kinda effeminate or wimpy.

Not entirely sure why Touma is on the right desu....

What are you guys on about, anime's getting better, bros

Attached: 1472940829296.jpg (3316x2432, 757K)

>BoBoBoBo
>popular in Japan and not popular because of Toonami
Even Bebop is a small franchise in Japan.

Meanwhile, the most popular anime from the 90s, period, Pokèmon, features one of the biggest self insert MCs of all time, Ash/Satoshi.

because it's a shitty image that relies on the premise that Japanese people look like Japanese people.

>have MC's changed
No.

Attached: 02.jpg (1761x788, 421K)

Based chad

Attached: 1554691072030.jpg (333x294, 38K)

People don't like Junichi?

Attached: Dl3HON2XsAUt9ge.jpg (1200x692, 73K)

Based Jr. Poster

Attached: destro ahem.png (242x312, 68K)

Bump

Jotaro is from the 80s and 90s
Hyakkimaru is a cripple in literally every possible way
DBS Goku is character regression + failure to even come close to beating a villain outside of one time.
Luffy is garbage

Attached: 1540416091698.png (802x692, 1.07M)

It's the same principle as self-insertion but feel free to keep lying to yourself.

retarded faggot. i hope you get inserted by a wild pack of negroes

you don't even know what you're talking about you retarded faggot

Take a look at the responses to this post. /r9k/ on suicide watch.

how are they cherrypicked? All the images are taken from the correct years of their respective anime

fpbp

That's just called having taste.

>Times change
I don't want them to change anymore :(
youtube.com/watch?v=rWt5WB7wtJ0

>not realizing Shinji Ikari is made to poke at the ridiculous idea that teenagers are piloting mecha and fighting wars
>seriously believing muh deconstruction bullshit
Anno is an otaku, he doesn't care about it. Kids pilot robots because it's a staple of media traditionally aimed at children. Shinji is relatable like Amuro but for otaku instead of children.

>woman prefer efeminate prettyboys over chads
manlets and gooks actually believe this

This one is both

Attached: tumblr_pf51vi7zu11u31inho2_r1_500.jpg (500x231, 41K)

basedren

Teenage girls like pretty boys. Gays like huge boybuilders. Fujos can like both. Looking at josei, women like in between: the tall, handsome, not necessarily muscular but well built type. None of those characters were made with women in mind though.

And was there a female MC who can wear a bikini in the animes of 2000s?

Attached: 3885FF7A-4302-4CD9-B8F6-EA7E200FBD58.jpg (552x1260, 151K)

>Fuck fujos
More like moefags. Fujos have been around forever

At least get your facts straight. Anime started in 60s and moe prototype has been around since 90s.

Attached: 1551339786328.png (716x370, 285K)

Sorry, here is the corrected one.

Attached: 1523370115092.jpg (1002x903, 334K)

I see you have eye for quality. Touma is based.

Attached: touma.jpg (1199x673, 183K)

Can't ruin something that's always been shit

T. Old stuff great. New stuff bad!

Looooooot of punchable faces on the right

And if you actually understood women you would know that what women say they want=/ what they actually want

Attached: large.jpg (800x450, 61K)

Eren grew up this makes sense.

>cherrypicking
these threads are always dumb

So it's true that raildexfags are a bunch of delusional retards

Subaru is a fucking pussy.

Attached: psyche volume 6.jpg (286x450, 85K)

Based. Kill all fujos.

Design wise he sucks, but TouMAN is based.

How often are you going to make this bait thread with the same exact bait image, using characters on one side that span 4 decades (70s - 00s) to a handful of seasonal characters from the last 5-8 years?

You could make a counter-image using all of the beta self-insert shits and uninspired high school/college protagonists of the 80s and 90s.

basado

I prefer now. I can relate more to the characters.

Attached: doomer.png (3929x3753, 913K)

fucking kill yourself

its funny that the OP pic includes the guy from Gunstar Outlaw because he's an immense faggot that spends half the show acting like a gigantic pussy

Fuck you nigger

you are a japanese high school boy?

Why?