Why is it so maligned?

I can see where the criticisms of it being pretentious come from, but from a narrative standpoint it is fairly straightforward, and even putting aside its themes, it still has compelling characters, neat designs, and it can be very creative and original at times.
All things that were lacking in Texhnolyze, which was painful to get through and had absolutely nothing to hook you in, yet it still gets praised to no end.
So why is the better show the one being shat on?

Attached: Ergo_Proxy_Set_1_cover.jpg (220x310, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oAXrRWLKzko
youtube.com/watch?v=yO4myLCfN-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=u3SzOzm8lmo
youtube.com/watch?v=cXb7M2DQiEk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Honestly it's extremely boring, the main character is it's biggest problem to me, I couldn't push past 8 episodes

Attached: 1553541171550.jpg (1280x720, 63K)

I liked the slower episodes.
The game show one was pretty fun

Attached: 1525954625399.jpg (1280x720, 105K)

People don't like Ergo Proxy? Never saw this

I concede that the MC does indeed suck.

Monster is one of my favorite anime and it's extremely slow at times.
It's not about slow or fast it's about just being boring. It feels uninspired.
It's like a song that constantly builds up to the chorus but the chorus never happens. That's what this show is for me.
Also disliked how every episodes just proposed more questions without answering, you can only do that for so long...

Attached: killaqueen.gif (273x485, 1.52M)

>but from a narrative standpoint it is fairly straightforward, and even putting aside its themes, it still has compelling characters, neat designs, and it can be very creative and original at times.
Don't you know that there's no such thing as subtlety or nuance? One or two things didn't make sense the first time somebody saw it, therefore it is objectively and entirely bad all the time for everyone forever.

I wouldn't say that it is maligned. It's just really nothing much.

Maligned?
Have you checked the latest Ergo Proxy threads on Yea Forums? Niggers are literally dekinai when it comes to understanding this anime.

It's not maligned, it's actually 2deep4u to some people.

Attached: __daedalus_yumeno_and_re_l_mayer_ergo_proxy__9c033e1639d7c273b99fefab6c8e1be0.gif (342x850, 78K)

The game show was pure genius. That apart I don't think it was a horrible anime but neither I think it was a masterpiece.

I also didn't like how the MC so blatantly changed his look from dork to badass for apparently no reason. It almost felt like the authors regretted their initial design.

Ergo Proxy is on my top 3, this new wave of anime consumers are just downright brain dead.

Attached: 1552921591659.jpg (537x599, 133K)

I got warned for not liking it once.

>The game show was pure genius.
>The info dump episode that is tonally different from everything else in the show

Attached: notimpressedharuhi34.png (498x450, 163K)

>he actually doesn't get the GS episode
Let me guess, the Disney parody episode was shit too?

Attached: 1484839719300.png (192x187, 94K)

Maybe I just stumbled into the wrong threads.
It seems to me like this is one of the anime you will be most easily called out on as a pseud for having it among your favorites, while something equally as sluggishly paced and full of itself but with much less to offer like Texhnolyze is hardly attacked.
I actually avoided it for quite a while since I pretty much hated Texhnolyze and heard that EP was equally annoying but even worse, while I found out that's absolutely not the case.
Maybe I just got the wrong impression from discussions.

HOW CAN YOU SEE INTO MY EYES
LIKE OPEN DOORS

Always on the verge of checking this out but something about this feels like its trying to be one of the "smart" anime while only managing the get the general aesthetic right and not much else

Never watched Texhnolyze.
EP is pretty straightforward indeed and I felt like I got most plot point without the need for a second viewing.
I liked it personally and I liked the idea of proxies and how they were handled.
The game show episode and the Disney episode are the ones that stuck in my head because I found it to be interesting.
Great show that people shit on because they're afraid of people calling them pretentious I guess.

Attached: 15b044de67e8d50d4cd4bbb70715f6107b24001b_00.jpg (512x288, 10K)

You know what's actually pretentious?
Lain.
There, i said it.

Attached: 14792414098281s.jpg (200x154, 6K)

Texhnolyze is better but Ergo Proxy is criminally underrated. So is Gankutsu Ou. Based techno cyber punk early 2000 anime

Almost perfectly describing and criticizing internet culture 20+ years in advance is pretentious?

ok

BLYAT

It's pretentious all right but that's not why it's not well liked. The main problem of this show is that it's extremely boring.

Pretty much. I still would say that it manages to be interesting and original enough to be worth a watch. Plus you never know which shows will click.

>it's boring
>and it's pretentious
Go back to your moe and shounen threads, shoo.

How so?

If you had to pick one and only one, which would it be?

youtube.com/watch?v=oAXrRWLKzko
youtube.com/watch?v=yO4myLCfN-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=u3SzOzm8lmo

It's a hard choice for me between Ergo and lain.
But I'll go with Ergo because I enjoyed watching it more.

Attached: 1554695457872.gif (500x281, 933K)

Texhnolyze is the worse show but has the best op

Serious reply:
The pacing is pretty mediocre once they leave the city, with big narrative empty stretches between massive needlessly baroque info dumps like that amusement park where all of a sudden let's just show you a movie of the real history of the planet all at once. It picks up a bit at the end again, but while it had an interesting setting and some good atmosphere, plus the OP is godly, it just fell pretty flat. There were briefly some people praising it to high heavens which promoted backlash and that's how it is OP.

>Texhnolyze
That however was utter dogshit, far worse even. People who praise it are retards or edgy counter culture fags. If you think it gets praised to high heavens realize that's mainly because the vast majority of people hated it so much they can't even be bothered to engage with it at all.

>So why is the better show the one being shat on?
On the other hand, don't fall into the trap of super shit not getting wrecked meaning regular mediocrity is now good. Ergo Proxy is still not good even if tex is worse.

Attached: 58972339742.jpg (850x519, 82K)

Muh Raisins proxy falls into the okay DEEP and SERIOUS anime category but has the addition of OLD ANIME WAS BETTER faggotry.

I watched this show as it was airing and I remember that I went from loving it to hating it by the last episode. You guys are tempting me to watch it again because I can't recall where the show lost me

You sound like me. I was definitely pissed by the amusement park info dump but can't remember at what exact point it really began to drag.

Raisins Dethres

There is no amusement park info dump episode. You stupid fucks didn't even watch it and are just repeating bullshit you read.

The standalone episodes were the best part of the series. Disney episode, Quizshow, stuck with no wind, the proxy in the lake. The entire show should have been a roadtrip with interesting one episode concepts.

Attached: BTrtMYz.jpg (2120x1536, 1022K)

COME AND SAAAAAAAAAVE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I fucking miss Manglobe bros, their openings were so good:
youtube.com/watch?v=cXb7M2DQiEk
(forgive the unga subs and shitty karaoke, couldn't find one without it)
is there any stupid hope I can cling for them to ever resurrect?
Also, Gangsta animu was so sad, you could clearly see the studio died on the middle of the series. A real shame since the first 3-4 episodes were excellent. Great adaptation to that point, and I LOVE how the main "hero" is not even a strong guy, but a B tier guy that somehow keeps on going.

Attached: 1526840323892.jpg (346x490, 18K)

The therapist and bookstore episodes are still among my favorites in all of anime. Fuck man, this anime was so fucking good.

Attached: 1434211635037.jpg (510x346, 28K)

Thanks I thought I was going crazy

>the proxy in the lake.
It is called "Ophelia" and it is by far the best episode of the series. I can't for the life of me understand why people like the "Who Wants to be in Jeopardy" episode though.

Ergo Proxy is pretty decent and certainly stylish, but the name dropping of existentialist philosophers and terminology is pretentious, in that the incorporation of these concepts into the narrative is hamfisted and surface level at best.

Ratón de tres

>Manglobe
>they were responsible for Samurai Champloo, Ergo Proxy, The World God Only Knows, and Gangsta amongst others
FFFFFFF I should pay more attention to studios never knew they did them all. And yeah even when I didn't like parts of a series the OPs were always god tier and they always had a lot of stuff with style. Gangsta definitely started strong before falling apart and it looks like they did end up with quite a bit of debt for a studio, $3-4 million, guess they never accepted cheaping out. What a damn shame, thanks for that user.

COGITO ERGO ES_

to be fair, you do need a high IQ to enjoy ergo proxy

>feels like its trying to be one of the "smart" anime
it's not though it's literally the director getting free reign to do whatever dumb shit he wanted and that's mostly what makes it great

Texhnolyze is real good but it's a bit of a downer man

you almost need to load up some Baccano or Big O after to rinse off the malaise

because it's "who wants to be in jeopardy" but with spoilers from a guy who knows all the story that the character doesn't know

RATION CREPE

YOU COMPLETE MY FATE

>LOOK GUYS WE NAMED IT AFTER A PAINTING WE MADE A REFERENCE TO THE PAINTING EVERYONE CLAP

Attached: 764531807140.jpg (1068x720, 88K)

Texhnolyze is the only anime I consider pretentious and I've seen Lain, Angel's Egg, Patlabor 2, etc. Have yet to watch EP but I've seen varying opinions on it and it reminds me of Texhnolyze so I don't really want to watch it.

Attached: TexhnolyzeQuality.jpg (720x480, 171K)

is there literally anything in the world that does not make you insecure

In terms of OPs, Lain > Texhnolyze > Ergo Proxy

What namedropping? I only recall "muh raison d'être" and that was the old senile androids repeating it.

It was funny and unexpected. But yeah what makes it so entertaining is the fact that EP is the only series that did it.

He's right though, was there any deeper meaning other than
>this painting looks nice, Re-l looks nice, let's combine them
?

Attached: come and saaaaaave me.png (1280x720, 1.17M)

Exactly this. I stuck it out to the end but even after it was over it didn't feel like it was worth the watch

RIKUO DIMITRI

The episode is also similar to parts of what happens to Ophelia.
Dumb sagiriposter.

It's good

4 days in a row. You're fucking obsessed, dude. Any attempt at seeking validation on a board full of contr/a/ryans is moot.

I liked the Ophelia episode and the Sinex episode because Proxy designs are pretty bangin.

Ergo has the best OP. Its slightly more nostalgic and comfy than Lain.

I feel bad about Ergo Proxy because I watched to around episode 20 and then my step-dad kicked me out and I was homeless for several months so I had no opportunity to continue and by the time I had a place and spare time to watch anime again, I forgot all about it. Then I saw the box set sitting on a store shelf a few years ago and was like, I should finish watching that, but then I couldn't remember literally anything that happened or exactly where I left off and would have to start over from scratch and I couldn't justify spending the time.

Well, this season is slow for me, only following 3 shows and one of them is only 12 minute episodes so I can make time for it so maybe I'll try to watch it from scratch again.

It is of the same breed, but it is a lot less unsufferable. I suggest giving it a chance. If you pushed through Texhnolyze this one should be a much more rewarding experience

Pretentious is literally a word used by brainlets when they can't understand something

It didn't, everything presented was based on the already existing BBS culture and such.

the last few episodes are hit or miss honestly.
The strongest eps are the first 5 and then some scattered around the place such as:
>Sinex
>Wine Proxy
>Ophelia
>Disney
>Game Show
>Therapist
>Bookstore
>Stranded

I always wanted to watch EP ever since it came out. Mainly because I wanted to see the racoon girl get raped or at least groped. Will I get that satisfaction by watching the series?

Attached: 1509899329254.png (640x480, 305K)

>He's right though, was there any deeper meaning other than
>>this painting looks nice, Re-l looks nice, let's combine them
>?
it was just a device, literally a tool used to examine and describe the emotional state of the characters by conjuring a similarity to a previous artistic statement. It is figuratively a single phrase of an entire paragraph, to get hung up on only that and say it has no meaning because you refuse to acknowledge the rest of the narrative or the characters in it is asinine if not outright insidious.

yes, in the first episode she gets groped I think. Its heavily implied I suppose.

Fair enough. Glad to see we are all on the same page on Texhnolyze at least.

Good OST

Because it's a mess and gets completely unenjoyable by the end. Not to mention full of it's own bullshit like a highschool students first philosophy essay.

Ergo Proxy was able to create an amazing atmosphere in its early episodes, I still have yet to experience anything else like it but after they leave Rondo it just goes down hill until it just eventually ends with a "Huh? What? Okay I guess."

The best episodes all come after they leave the dome brainlet

Reason I stopped posting in EP threads is because fo all the brainlets and bait. Buts it's a great fuckign anime with an amazing setting good characters and solid themes. You can watch it just for the setting/atmosphere and adventure alone and it would still be a masterpiece. People who say it's pret*entious are just regurgitating what they read online.

Attached: 1508282245299.png (500x357, 153K)