Sailor Moon thread

Classic Sailor Moon of course.

Attached: sailor_moon_supers_episode_158_chibiusa_kissing_pegasus.jpg (720x540, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tsumino.com/Book/Info/40144/uma-musume-tanetsuke-koubi-show-horse-girl-breeding-show-
youtube.com/watch?v=doZrX8fgcts
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Attached: sailor_moon_supers_episode_129_chibiusa_describes_pegasus.jpg (720x540, 91K)

Attached: z12.png (640x480, 359K)

Makoto > Rei > Usagi > Ami > Minako

But Rei a shit, user.

never watched, but didnt she fuck that horse?

Attached: 1547318724825.jpg (199x162, 11K)

cute boy

having gotten into anime later in life, I feel bad I never grew up watching Sailor Moon. it's too childish for me to enjoy now and so there's an entire world of things I can't relate too with other anime fans

Attached: tumblr_nbf31ecI581twyshko1_500.gif (500x364, 951K)

Don't bully.

Attached: chib.gif (540x405, 686K)

I watched the whole first season just because a while back
I would have definitely have loved it as a kid but it's still comfy at this point. No desire to watch the rest though

Rei a best

She wanted to.

Attached: cfcv b.jpg (766x576, 248K)

Attached: chibiusa.gif (449x310, 1.63M)

you what's better than fucking a horse, fucking a horse-girl!

Attached: Untitled.png (1272x1764, 2.97M)

Chibiusa > the rest.

Why does everyone hates Crystal?. Season 3 was pretty good.

Takes itself way too seriously at times and the art was shit at first, now it's a bit better but still not great.

Hit me up with sauce

Except seasons 1 and 2 killed any interest in it. By the time 3 came around, hardly anyone was left watching it

tsumino.com/Book/Info/40144/uma-musume-tanetsuke-koubi-show-horse-girl-breeding-show-

Currently rewatching this show. Enjoying SS a lot more than I remember. Especially because of Chibi Usa and this lovable bimbo, who has the cutest voice ever.

Can't wait to get to Stars again.

Attached: [SMC] Sailor Moon SuperS 153 (R1 DVD.H264.AC3) [DDA99361].mkv_snapshot_07.28_[2019.01.06_13.46.07].j (640x480, 38K)

Imagine the original Sailor Moon anime, but without all the great slice of life, reaction shots and humor. And worse animation. There, you now got Crystal. It's the same reason CardCaptor Sakura Clear Card feels boring and hollow compared to the original show.

Attached: vfz.gif (245x194, 929K)

>put a tail on a girl
>call it a horse girl
pls user, Chibiusa tier logic

Agreed.

Attached: 1522602000649.jpg (824x730, 108K)

Yeah, but it's more based on the manga, of course it would be shorter. But not for that you'll hate it, it's not justified.

Hey, a Sailor Moon thread without a bait OP. We haven't had one of those for half a year! Nice.

>Yeah, but it's more based on the manga
Which is a great idea - in concept. But most Sailor Moon fans were primarily fans of the anime, not the manga. Which is why people wanted more SoL, more MotD, more characterization, less trying to adapt the manga's visual style into animation and more 90s aesthetics. Of course, that's not what Crystal is, hence why many were so disappointed.
It also doesn't help that the original anime was much more polished and elaborate. Crystal never had a fair chance to be its own thing - and it would always fail the comparison.
All of that being said, Crystal is far better than its reputation.

>without bait
Allusions to horse love isn't bait enough? Don't get me wrong, it got the thread going. But it seems like bait to me.

Attached: [SMC] Sailor Moon SuperS 155 (R1 DVD.H264.AC3) [F1D63EF5].mkv_snapshot_05.16_[2019.03.27_01.22.38].j (640x480, 39K)

Based Chibi Usa cucking her own mother.

Attached: cuckedbydaughter.jpg (638x477, 71K)

>Allusions to horse love
Not bait if it's canon. And it's unicorn, not a horse: A symbol of idealized sexuality, desire, a Freudian dream-world. Notice the phallic symbol and its mythical connection to virginity.
The writers definitely knew what they were doing, with SuperS tackling themes of growing up, loss of innocence, the nature of desire and so on. It's the coming-of-age arc of Sailor Moon - a Bildungsroman of sorts, but from a child's perspective. Romancing a unicorn is exremely fitting.

original manga had more empowerment of women. anime gave too much agency to tuxedo mask the irrelevant male

I'm reading the manga now and I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. It's just different compared to the fun, lighthearted tone of the anime.

Fair enough, but I would really like that those "fans" weren't so narrow-minded, and give it crystals more attention. Also the original series it feels very repetitive for moments. Idk if they really took on account that or they are just blinded by nostalgia.

>empowerment of women
>irrelevant male
Go bait some other thread.

>as bad as people make it out to be
Who does that? My impression is that most people did enjoy the manga and express that they did, but do also remark that they prefer the anime.

>And it's unicorn, not a horse
A unicorn is just a horse with a carrot on top of its head.

Attached: [SMC] Sailor Moon S 109 (R1 DVD.H264.AC3) [50B94CD6].mkv_snapshot_06.05_[2017.03.18_00.17.53].jpg (640x480, 39K)

>Who does that?
I just remember seeing people here go on about how terrible it was compared to the anime.

>feels very repetitive
>or they are just blinded by nostalgia
Nostalgia does, of course, play a role. And Crystal didn't have that to help it along. But I think it's a minor factor for most.
As for the original series being repetitive: Somewhat true. But if you throughoutly enjoy something, you have no problem with it being repeated. If you for example like that Usagi is a klutz and gets herself into trouble, you're okay with it being played for laughs every few episodes.

>It's just different compared to the fun, lighthearted tone of the anime.

The manga is *less* serious than the anime, given there's less moral ambiguity and less distinguishing most of the characters personality wise, to the point that most of them might as well be a collective blob. The idea that the anime is the manga with more silliness fails to get at what the anime did that worked so well.

Oh, you poor innocent child ... never read Greek mythology or European folklore.

>compared to the anime
But that's the point. People love the anime over anything. Of course they consider the manga worse in comparison. But looking at the manga on its own, I think most people will speak of it rather positively.

In high school (note this was the late 90s), my friends and I had big fights over which was better. The manga or anime. Most of the girls preferred the manga and most of the guys preferred the anime. Over time however, many of the girls started to admit the anime was better. Except Stars. For some reason they absolutely hated Stars (just like the Japanese fans). I never got it. Stars is my favorite season after the original. And soon I'm going to rewatch it to see if my taste was shit back then.

Attached: [SMC] Sailor Moon S 112 (R1 DVD.H264.AC3) [1EC84DEB].mkv_snapshot_15.42_[2017.03.21_22.58.34].jpg (640x480, 42K)

Reminder, the author emphasized that Usagi was a chubby version of Minako. But in the manga, they look exactly the same.

>Notice the phallic symbol

Attached: [SMC] Sailor Moon SuperS 164 (R2 DVD.H264.AC3) [1C55752F].mkv-0083.jpg (640x480, 35K)

I think very little of the manga. My main issue with it is how flat and irrelevant everyone but Usagi is. For a lot of us that love Sailor Moon for the girls hanging out, the manga has no real appeal.

I don't think nostalgia is relevant at all. Plenty of people watch and love it now, whether they've seen it before or not.

What I didn't liked mostly was Mamoru trying to steal the scene, just because they wanted him to be relevant, and the one-episode battles at the purest style of super sentai. But if they enjoyed that, well good for them.

Attached: 1465302421667.jpg (600x1214, 261K)

>For some reason they absolutely hated Stars
I'm gonna guess they hated Seiya.

Sailor Moon was a pretty early anime for me; I watched it at 18/19 in 2006. If a young adult could adore the series, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to. The music, the tinny mono audio (in the low-quality version I downloaded anyway), its high-spirited nature; when it comes to pure charm, Sailor Moon might be the best anime I've ever seen.

lol okay Jet Wolf

The thing is, I love Sailor Moon for the actual plot, and while the manga has the superior overall plot, there's so little going on otherwise that I can't give a shit about anything. The 'midbosses' are basically MOTW in the manga for instance.

>Sailor Moon was a pretty early anime for me; I watched it at 18/19 in 2006

How did you go for so long without watching anime, only to watch it then?

>Usagi was a chubby version of Minako
They were completely different characters. You might have missed that while you were busy comparing their faces in the manga. (Next, try to compare the other faces to theirs, you'll be surprised.)

>For some reason they absolutely hated Stars (just like the Japanese fans). I never got it.
Stars was very very different from the rest of the anime. It was comparatively short, with the first few episodes concluding the SuperS plotline and less than 30 episodes for the new stuff. Which in turn appeared quite condensed, and with the increased size of the cast left less room for character development. It still had the signature SoL scenes, and they were great, but it all felt a lot denser and more rushed.
The phages (MotD of the season) were, on average, less interesting than those of other seasons, and the main villains weren't given many episodes each, nor did they have the same kind of group-dynamics we had seen between the Shitennou, the Black Moon Clan, the Witches 5 or the Amazoness Trio/Quartett.
Stars seemed cleaner and more streamlined.
It's strongest aspect, in my opinion, was the OST and songs.
I'm not sure I'd call it my least favourite season, it's still genuinely great. But it does have some glaring weaknesses.

>I love Sailor Moon for the actual plot
I can hardly imagine this.
PGSM is the only time I've thought the plot was more than just alright. And most of it isn't that.

>Plenty of people watch and love it now, whether they've seen it before or not.
Yes, but the point was that fans of the original anime, when they compare Crystal to it, might subconsciously elevate the orginal for nostalia reasons. And that is something that will definitely happen for old-time fans.

Well of course, the characters actually had personalities in the original. Watching Crystal and hearing them talk about "Legendary Silver Crystal" 50 times per episode is annoying.

Bullshit. Crystal compares badly to the original all on its own. Even if you like the manga it was just terribly produced. And as I said, a lot of people don't like the manga.
Blaming nostalgia is nonsensical. Might as well claim you only like Crystal because of nostalgia for the manga.

I seriously don't get this. How can you look at something like Naru getting into an abusive relationship and not consider that to be part of the plot.

PGSM is a mess of random shit happening and isn't as well put together as the anime.

Attached: NephxNaru.jpg (480x360, 16K)

Sailor Moon wasn't my first anime or anything, it just came relatively early from my current perspective of having watched around 350 anime. The order would be something like...

1. Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z (Toonami, 2002-2003)
2. Inuyasha (Toonami, late 2003)
3. Slayers (Present for Christmas 2003)
4. Ranma 1/2 and Slayers Next (Birthday in 2004)
6. Magic Knight Rayearth Season 1 (Birthday, came in a few days later after the previous)
7. Slayers Try (Christmas 2004)
8. Chobits (checked it out from a rental store on a whim, early 2006)
9. Sonic X (first subtitled anime, early 2006)
10. Sailor Moon (Summer 2006)

So yeah, Sailor Moon was among my top 10 first anime, and only the second I watched subbed. My anime viewing was really slim until we upgraded from dial-up.

Attached: Usagi.jpg (502x768, 70K)

Sorry I'm late everybody.
Chibiusa a shit.

>They were completely different characters. You might have missed that while you were busy comparing their faces in the manga. (Next, try to compare the other faces to theirs, you'll be surprised.)
No shit. My comment was about how the author claimed Usagi was chubbier than Minako, yet their bodies look exactly the same. She didn't draw Usagi chubby.

>with the first few episodes concluding the SuperS plotline and less than 30 episodes for the new stuff. Which in turn appeared quite condensed, and with the increased size of the cast left less room for character development.
This is a large reason why I actually love Stars. Let's face it, while I love the other seasons as well, they have a lot of filler episodes. Stars had less filler because it had less time. Most episodes have more character development and plot relevance than usual Sailor Moon episodes. Not all of them, but quite a lot. And both the Nehelenia and the Galaxia endings were some of the best parts of the entire series.

>The phages (MotD of the season) were, on average, less interesting than those of other seasons
I thought Iron Mouse was one of the best villains in the whole series, precisely because she was a strong individual. She also got enough development to have an impacting death. The others not so much. But then, you can say the same about almost any season. There's usually one strong leading villain and a bunch of extras just to fill time. And as you said, Stars had less episodes so you only got two filler enemies instead of a dozen.

>It's strongest aspect, in my opinion, was the OST and songs.
Totally agree. Though I think every season had amazing music. But the fusion of city pop, synth and classical is my exact favorite type of music. So it was a real turn on for me. And it has some of the best vocal songs too. Even the cheesy Starlight songs were great.

Attached: 1395725979862.jpg (400x267, 17K)

>Crystal compares badly to the original all on its own.
Yes, so what? That doesn't mean that nostalgia doesn't play a role. No one is "blaming nostalgia". Just saying that you can't act as if it didn't exist. You might want to read the post chain you replied to again, as no one was arguing that Crystal is better than the original.

This post is absolutely blaming nostalgia. And completely ignoring both how badly made Crystal was and how little it does of anything most people liked about the original.

>they have a lot of filler episodes.
Well, the thing is: People loved the filler. If you didn't, than that might explain why you prefer Stars while other people don't.

>more character development
I have to disagree. The "legacy characters" (Inner and Outer Senshi) appear, but don't get much development at all. Chibi Chibi is a gimmick. Which leaves basically only Usagi and the Stars. Usagi has a bit of development with Mamoru missing, but that's it. Nothing compared to prior seasons. And the Stars are relatively shallow characters compared to the others.

>Iron Mouse was one of the best villains in the whole series
I was talking about the phages, the "Monsters of the Day". They were an integral part of the whole series, and Stars had pretty weak ones with very shallow characterization. Iron mouse is what I'd call a main villain. And that's where my second criticism applies: She's not shown interacting with other much. I do agree that she is a good character though.

Like I said, nothing of this makes Stars really bad. But these are the aspects that make me not like it as much as, for example, the third season.

I really liked a lot of the animation and style from SuperS. I wish it hadn't focused entirely on Chibusa and her weird horse fuckery. Wish she'd just had a minor plotline.

>This post is absolutely blaming nostalgia.
I don't read it that harshly. The poster just questioned whether people are too quick to overlook weaknesses for nostalgia. Which is a sensible point.
And wheter Crystal would be regarded more highly if people weren't as devoted to the original anime. Which you and I think is not the case, but the question is legitimate.

>A Matriarch driven society that spans the solar system and runs on magic and high technology

>A bunch of teen girls take over and solve everything with gay love beams and shit

Wait what?

Don't feel bad. I watched SM as a kid, and the main impression I got was frustration thanks to two episodes out of three being nothingburgers of filler MoW fights and slice-of-life which where nothing ever happened and no character ever developed past her initial characterization.

I've seen this person mentioned sometimes on Yea Forums. Why is she kind of infamous?

What anime did you watch, user? Doesn't sound much like the one we are discussing in here.

But I already said in multiple posts I like Sailor Moon precisely because of the slice of life, which mostly comes from the filler episodes. I just recognize that Stars had the same amount of slice of life/development in less episodes.

On that note, almost every season focuses on Usagi and the new characters more than the others. In season 1, the inner senshi and Mamoru were the new characters. So they got a lot of development and time. In every season after that? They got two focus episodes and a few cameos each. Same thing happened with the outer Senshi. In S, the season they got introduced, they're all over the place. Then in the following seasons, they just make a few appearances. Stars actually gave the outer senshi a lot more time than SS did though. And the best death scenes in the whole series.

So again, I'm just arguing that the more streamlined/compact aspect of Stars worked in its advantage. At least in my opinion.

Attached: 1446946308700.jpg (640x480, 86K)

"Blinded by nostalgia" does not suggest merely overlooking weaknesses, but being totally unable to form a reasonable opinion.
It's also utterly absurd to suggest fans somehow forget that a 200 episode monster of the week show full of stock footage is repetitive.

>almost every season focuses on Usagi and the new characters more than the others
That's only true for the Outer Senshi in S.
It is not true for Makoto and Minako in the first season or for Setsuna in R.
The Inner Senshi got most of their characterization not in their own focus episodes, but in the regular ones where they acted as a group. Stars had far less of that dynamic.

>I'm just arguing that the more streamlined/compact aspect of Stars worked in its advantage. At least in my opinion.
That's absolutely fine, but my point is that most people probably didn't like that very aspect but prefered the more relaxed pace and "filler" of the earlier seasons. That's what you asked for, isn't it? Why other people like Stars less?

Well, I tend to read that post more benevolently than you: I don't think the poster was actually arguing that Crystal was better, nor that fans were completely unable to evaluate it objectively.
Anyway, I think we all can agree that the original is, as a whole, a superior anime compared to Crystal.

>It is not true for Makoto and Minako in the first season or for Setsuna in R.
Did you not read my post? I pointed out that, in the seasons they got introduced, the characters got a ton of development. Then it tapers off in each season after that. Of course Minako and Makoto got more development in the first season. That's when they were the new characters. In every season after that, they only got 1-2 focus episodes and then random cameos in group fights.

>That's absolutely fine, but my point is that most people probably didn't like that very aspect but prefered the more relaxed pace and "filler" of the earlier seasons. That's what you asked for, isn't it? Why other people like Stars less?
Fair enough. Though the majority of complaints I hear were stuff like "I don't like how they changed the Starlights from the manga" or "I hate how they removed Mamoru/Chibi Usa" or "I hate the change in art style." Not really the pace of the show. But this is just what I've heard.

>Of course Minako and Makoto got more development in the first season.
Minako had exactly one (1) focus episode in season 1. She was introduced 12 episodes before the season ended, and most of those episodes were in the final stretch where not much group-interactions happened. Most of her characterization stems from R and S. To a slightly lesser extent, the same is true for Makoto.
Ami and Rei were the the only ones who really had full charcter arcs in the first season, other than the villains, Usagi, Mamoru and Luna.

>random cameos
You are neglecting most of the SoL scenes. We learnt most we know about all characters in those. Not in fight scenes or focus episodes.

The horse is nakeder.

Attached: [SMC] Sailor Moon S 104 (R1 DVD.H264.AC3) [E3B0CC62].mkv_snapshot_06.15_[2017.02.10_22.34.08].jpg (640x480, 46K)

Momo-chan is cuter!

Attached: momo-chan.jpg (720x480, 49K)

You just know

Hoshino Fuuta draws the best Chibiusa doujins

Attached: c44ea6da1475e357213060ff601ff011.jpg (490x380, 53K)

Attached: 642a79e8656be90b584a05e148b41d5a.jpg (747x572, 66K)

MY DICK.
It's clearly a little girl user. Half naked in just panties. SOmething way too rare nowadays.

>Something way too rare nowadays.
Are you refering to Japan's population crisis, the receding birth-rate? That it shares with pretty much the whole civilized world?
Despite that, there are still many little girls around, user.

Nice joke.

I have to say, back when I have 10 years old and "hate girls stuff", the outter Sailors was my favorite because I can kinda "relate" to then. Haruka is a tomboy that date a beautiful girl, Michiru is waifu material, Sailor Pluto have the best attack death scream and they theme is the one of the best on this show.

youtube.com/watch?v=doZrX8fgcts

Attached: outer_senshi.jpg (798x501, 189K)

Attached: gtxdr.gif (400x298, 1004K)

Bump, I guess?

While rewatching Sailor Moon I realized something, that as much flak as Kyuubey catches for the crap that he pulls he at least gives his magical girls a choice. A horribly misinformed choice but a choice nonetheless. Every other magical girl show always starts with the heroine either being tricked into it or outright forced. Is it really that difficult to give them a choice?

A choice makes no sense in the context of most of them though. Luna can't offer Usagi a choice because she's the reincarnation of Sailor Moon whether she gets the magic item or not.
Plus Luna is dumber than she lets on and has very little idea what's actually happening.
Also it's generally a metaphor for puberty and making that optional is thematically nonsensical.

>a metaphor for puberty
>Luna is dumber than she lets on and has very little idea what's actually happening
So Luna is symbolizing the parent figure! I get it!

>the best attack
Interesting topic you're bringing upo there. I don't think this has ever been discussed, so let me ask everyone: What are your favourite attacks?

My top 3:
3) Uranus' "World Shaking"
2) Mars' "Flame Sniper"
1) Venus' "Venus Love Me Chain"

I admit that that selection might be somewhat influenced by me liking the girls as well. But the attacks are pretty badass! I mean, one literally hurls a whole planet at the enemy, another is an elegant flaming arrow AND bow. And, well, I don't think I have to explain much about an attack with a chain made from glowing hearts that's literally named "Love Me Chain", do I?

Attached: attacks.jpg (500x1128, 134K)

Maybe, I didn't express myself very clear. My point was that people usually just take in account the good points of the originals series and the bad points of crystal, that why I think nostalgia play a big role in their judgement. And like this user said I wasn't trying to argue which one is better, what is more I think both are incomparable because both were made for different purpose, with that said, I just wanted people to give a second chance to crystal, and not to be that harsh on it, because most of their claims always seem unjustified comparing them with the original series.

1. World Shaking
2. Oak Evolution
3. Moon Gorgeous Meditation

Special mention to Love and Beauty Shock for the sheer absurdity of an exploding kiss, and the tunnel effect on Deep Submerge.

>Are you refering to Japan's population crisis
When will this meme end?

Attached: fertility rate 2019.png (652x813, 31K)

What's your argument? That Malta is even worse off?
It's simple: Since one single woman can't produce a child on her own, every number below 2 is a bad thing. It means negative growth. And, yes, most of the so called "first world" shares that problem, while the third world grows rapidly. That's the other side of the coin.

>every number below 2 is a bad thing
It's not. With the quick grow of A.I. and automatization, and also the decreased of our natural resources, trying to grow our population bigger is totally irresponsible. Due to bad conditions of third world countries they die younger, and if they developed their countries, they would decreased their fertility rate, that's how it works. Also the west is more developed so it's needs fewer people to certain jobs.

>Due to bad conditions of third world countries they die younger
Not in a globalized world where the first wirld provides a basic level of medical support for the 3rd world. That's why population levels are rising like crazy over there: They procreate like they used to, but they die far less, which leads to huge masses of people living in extreme poverty because their economy can't support them.
Whereas we, in the West, could easily maintain a higher population level without much loss of individual welfare. But we don't.

Anyway, we shouldn't derail the thread with this discussion that started with a harmless joke.

Attached: 07a65f9aaf33f6fc99497ed096b1be95.jpg (960x827, 68K)

M8, the west can maintain a big population but to a certain point, there are many factors to take and the consumerism that the west is uses to, doesn't help that much.

But anyway like you said, I'll stop here, maybe we're talking just bullshit, because we don't know the whole story behind the curtains, only the elites know that.

Attached: cvv.gif (500x300, 101K)

>Is it really that difficult to give them a choice?

Yes. It's absolutely essential that the characters are forced into it, as most of the drama basically depends on this. It would make no sense if someone else could just decide to be the Moon Princess instead.

>if someone else could just decide to be the Moon Princess
Hey, why not? I'm sure Umino would volunteer.

Bang!

Attached: bang.gif (500x292, 1.25M)

Reminder Chibiusa is 100 years old.

I thought she was closer to 700 or 800.

The problem is that despite her age, she has the mental level of a child. Maybe because her parents were way too sheltering and protective, maybe the Ginzuishou is bugged (or its a feature).
In any case, her childlike personality and naïveté is the "problem".

903 years old.

>childlike personality and naivete
Sounds like a hereditary issue.

>hereditary issue
Come on, Mamoru isn't that naive!

Man that was wacky.

And hot.