Do you regret buying manga, Yea Forums ?

Do you regret buying manga, Yea Forums ?

I used to buy some then I realized I've spent 500$ over a year on things that collect dust

Attached: 304dxkzk8io21[1].jpg (3024x3024, 1.4M)

I just downloaded it for free.

I don't like buying localised manga; I'd prefer to own the original Japanese.

>only 50k anime dollars
My sweet little child..

Yeah or you could buy an iPad and read way more than you could've bought physical for the same money

is it the big english formats you dont like?

I only buy physical copies of manga I truly love, and majority of the series I truly love don't last for volumes upon volumes. Don't you read them?

not 50k....500$...i had maybe 60 volumes in total....then i sold them off for less than 200$

>is it the big english formats you dont like?
To me it's the sense of having something that's not the original. Kind of like why people by antiquarian books, or first editions. If I have the Japanese version, I'm certain to have the original. If I have the localised version, the Japanese text will have been edited away and replaced.

Yes but I can read an entire volume in roughly one hour without rushing. What then?

>What then?
Read the next volume? Don't you re-read series?

Makes sense. In my case I'd buy them even used in meh condition, I wish I could "rent" manga somehow. All I want is to read them physically as cheap as possible then get rid of them

How many volumes do the 20th Century Boy Perfect editions collect, two volumes each? I have the first six in the old single volumes so I'll just get the perfect editions for the rest.

I regret /not/ buying manga more. Books in general are partly decorative. $10/manga isn't much over the years.

>500$
That's like two figures. Literally entry tier. You should go to the buyfag threads just to see what real regret looks like.

The only volumes that are still at my parents house from when I was in HS are Shamang King 1-14, will see if they are worth a re-read

Yes, 50k anime dollars.

Tbh they are literally hand sculpted, right? Not digital print thats copied en masse

my issue is that you read one volume per hour roughly. 10$/hour is very expensive entertainment imo. Maybe when I get dat software engineer paycheck I will collect select series such as Berserk or Attack on Titan

>buying manga
Pathetic. I only buy artbooks because a) many of them never receive scans, b) most scans are trash and c) most scans have inaccurate colors even on calibrated screens. And no, I don't regret buying them.

fucking idiot

I regret buying some first volumes of series I was never going to finish anyway but that's it.

I try to only buy stuff that's in my favorites or stuff that is not scanned(which is barely anything anymore).
One time I tried looking into that(with a series that was out of print in Japan for a while and never go a western release) collecting the entire run seemed really daunting and I gave up. Do you have any tips for where to look for this stuff online? I don't know, maybe it's easy now, it's been a few years.

The only manga I regret buying is DearS.
The only other thing I regret is not getting some books when there was a good deal on them.

This

>tfw when I spend over 100 of dollaroos on some japanese mango editions that became widely available a few years later
I don't really regret it but got rid of all my manga and artbooks in 2010 and never looked back since. Feels good not to clutter your room with shit like japanese comics.

Some I regret some I don't, depends on the series. My biggest issue is running out of room to store them.

I had like three full book cases of manga that I trimmed down to one full case of all my favorites that I've collected over the years.

Thought about selling a bunch of it for a while but ultimately decided that was too much work. Ended up giving them all to thrift stores and my local library

nope I don't it feels good going back and holding my physical copy of Love Hina and Gunsmith Cats. now i really have to like a series to buy tho. Chainsaw man was my recent one.

What if it's a shonen series with 50+ volumes? Would you still buy it?

>$500
I've spent that much on a single BD set

>What if it's a shonen series with 50+ volumes? Would you still buy it?
If I truly love the series then yes.

I want poor people off collecting hobby. Morons make me laugh at your tiny cabinet.

I mean I bought the entirety of Dragon Ball as a kid before I even got into manga in general so yeah.

In hindsight I guess I do.

I could probably clear out 90% of my collection and not bat an eye. I have about 250 volumes.
They take up a lot of room and selling them somehow sounds like more work than it is worth.

But somehow there's still a series or two I wish I could collect/complete.

word of advice: dont buy on-going manga unless you really really love the series. i made the mistake of buying on-going manga only to hate the ending. the only ongoing manga i buy now is otoyomegatari cause i know mori kaoru will never let me down. i would also buy 3 gatsu if it was translated cause i like how umino writes as well.

>500$
How cute

I have 5000+ of those things, even by my most modest account it's at least 25.000 eurobucks (even if comics are cheaper in Italy)

But honestly, no, it's my major hobby: i don't play much videogames, i don't buy figure I don't smoke or drink, and most anime i watch is online for free,
I'm fine

Yes. Because at least 3 series I bought were discontinued by the publisher. Its a waste.

>All of that crap manga
>Only 2 volumes of houseki no kuni
Disgusting

I just like having them on my shelf. Especially the different Editions of manga, like Death Note Black Edition and All-In-One, Devilman Classic Collection, DB Vizbigs, DB Coloured Edition, the Ito Junji Hardcovers and JoJo's Hardcovers, and those new Zelda Legendary Editions, which I believe are original manuscript size.
Can't wait for the new Kaiji releases, despite them being those cheap 2-in-1s. It'll be nice to have a physical Kaiji Part 1 in English.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Chuukan Kanriroku Tonegawa - 24 [720p].mkv_snapshot_05.41_[2018.12.25_22.50.51].jpg (1280x902, 355K)

thanks for reminding me Kaiji is coming in english in april

But yea, I usually only collect manga that completed or ones that I love that I read online long ago but need a re-read. For new series I like to read 10 volumes before making my decision.

>all that actual shoujoshit

I feel the same way.

I haven't bought manga in ages, but if I do It would be for collection rather than reading. And even if you aren't interested in that, just think of it as a way to support the author.

>one volume per hour roughly
Just slow down. Or read a chapter a day, that's what I do.

a chapter a day? Do you also watch an episode a week?

Ehh. First time I had disposable currency, i ended splurging on manga and figures. I them enjoyed for a time, but eventually i just sold the ones i didn't absolutely love.

I don't spend my money on much so spending it on something I like to collect isn't a big deal. Not sure how much I've spent, but I have 325~ volumes some of which are tankobon.

Not but I read my physical manga before bed. Just a chapter or two.

1 of my bookcases has over 3k worth of manga/figs please fuck off

>mfw the series license holders dont sell shirts and shit
Since I read everything online the only things I buy are either is a collectors edition of the first book or a deluxe edition of the first few books. If either of those aren't available i'll just buy some themed merch for the show. Sucks that any t-shirts or hoodies are all just fan made shit on red bubble.

Attached: 1554000678245.gif (569x320, 3.78M)

I only buy manga if it's completed, I liked the ending, and I have liked it for more than one year.

I only buy manga of my favourites. I actually don't really have my eye on any purchases in the near future. I might eventually collect Dorohedoro or One Piece if I find a good sale, and I'm getting the deluxe Berserk volumes as they release.

Attached: IMG_20190331_234327.jpg (3648x2736, 2.46M)

There was a sale for viz this week on rightstuf but I think it just ended

For

>Seven Seas Release of MonMusu
Berserk and Girls Last Lour redeem this picture.

Yeah it's a pretty questionable translation job, but it's better than nothing.

>Defending Seven Shit
No.

Okay.

Attached: 1509487111332.gif (500x556, 1.77M)

Cute Lamia.

i buy books and deluxe editions of comics with short runs or one shots assuming i really like the art
anything over 5 volumes is just a waste of space and it's just not worth it, especially manga which more often than not come in shit print on shit paper in a small size. just cant be bothered to collect 20 volumes of newspaper quality books

the new berserk looks fucking nice though

>the new berserk looks fucking nice though
Yeah it is really nice, I read through the volume yesterday. Only downside is the coloured pages are printed in black and white, which is kind of lame. But as someone who doesn't already own any Berserk, the deluxe editions are a godsend.

No, I collect it. Getting close to 800 volumes currently. The only thing I dislike is the fact that it's a very space-intensive hobby.

Attached: 1506477124668.jpg (415x415, 28K)

>I wish I could "rent" manga somehow
l...library?

Yeah, I was just going to mention how people go into places like barnes and noble to just read the manga there then leave.

I just buy the ones I love, so friends can see them, ask for them and I can show them.

My only regret is the translation mistakes in the officially licensed manga I've bought.

Berserk is the only manga worth owning physical

Dude are you a fucking retard? They burned down the library of Alexandria, it ain't there no more, shiet nigga you dumb

I own a sizeable collection of manga. Out of all the JP tanks, Tokyopop and Dark Horse reversed garbage there are only two manga I regret buying and that's Viz's shitty fucking Jojonium releases which don't line up with my Part 3 volumes or the upcoming Part 4 omnibus localizations. They're ugly, hardcover and take up far too much space, not to mention having a censored translation making some of my favorite scenes unenjoyable. I tried giving them away to friends but they didn't want them. They're completely fucking useless.

Might as well show it off here

Attached: Shelf 1.jpg (4750x3562, 3.22M)

good to see a height comparison between BLAME and Berserk- I've been thinking about picking up Berserk but didn't know if it'd fit on my shelf (I know I could've looked up the measurements but I'm a lazy shit)

Reichstag them.

Attached: Shelf 2.jpg (4848x3636, 3.26M)

Attached: Shelf 3.jpg (4848x3636, 3.37M)

so as a newcomer to the series, would you recommend going the og route so I can get the color pages, or the deluxe route? assuming money isn't part of the equation.

I've read Drifters from Dark Horse. Besides the typos, they screwed up the name of a character in the first volume who's a pilot from WWII. On top of that they omitted a word in a chapter title. Seriously, why shorten Chaos Diver to Chaos, that completely removes the song reference.

And they apparently don't know how Russian names work, since as a woman Anastasia's surname would be Romanova, not Romanov.

And while more subjective, I think it should be Jeanne d'Arc, not Joan of Arc, since why go with the name that came from the English who burned her alive?

>Do you regret buying manga, Yea Forums ?
No. I regret not reading them to study before I forgot a majority of the vocabulary I learned.

I bought all of Aiki even though I had already read it online, so if I read a 10/10 that was 50+ volumes I would probably buy it all eventually.

>Pathetic. I only buy artbooks because
Please. Real 13 year old female fbi agents buy H-manga and doujins.

I need to start buying again since I've got an income now. Put it off because I don't have room for more bookcases. Wish the cost of living wasn't so high here, it just doesn't make sense to move out to an apartment.

Attached: 20130703_152726.jpg (3264x2448, 2.02M)

The rest of my stuff is purely Yea Forums or Yea Forums so I won't post more.

Attached: Shelf 4.jpg (4848x3636, 3.18M)

It's weird, when I was collecing GTO, I was obsessed with collecting the whole series so I could re-read it whenever, and also let people borrow it....

....the collection has been sitting on my shelf untouched for almost 10 years now....should I sell it?

Attached: Onizuka.png (1576x1192, 1.05M)

I read the reversed dark horse stuff as a kid and always admired the quality of their books (weight, seemed to hold together well, etc...). Got a bit older and was bummed to find out they were flopped so now I'm buying unflopped where I can.

>three deep
dear god if you have money for mangoes please use some money to buy yourself another shelf

Why? I got these ones for free and the stuff fits up there so it doesn't really bother me.

I mean, if it doesn't bother you that's the only things that matters. Just a pet peeve- it feels like they're kinda trapped back there and I would think it'd be harder to pull stuff out when you want it.

At this point I just buy manga for decoration and to support the creator

Attached: 1553425229932.png (550x563, 183K)

I can understand that, but it has never felt like an unreasonable effort to pull them back and grab something from the back if I need it. If I had everything in a single row only I couldn't fit all my books in one room, and the idea of having bookshelves sprinkled around the whole house just seems excessive.
If I buy everything I want to buy I'll end up having to do that anyway though.