Kyousougiga

Can someone explain the appeal of this show because I fail to understand

Attached: kyousougiga.png (1085x608, 801K)

Sorry, never heard of it.

This is pretty vague to go off. Did you watch all of it and what did you think?

I picked it up because it looked cool, but the story kinda confused me just because I didn't understand what exactly it was trying to accomplish.

It'll make sense in the end, one of characters straight up says at the end when the time is for explanations and goes on monologue explaining it all.

Episodes 2-8 aren't meant to be enjoyed for story, you are supposed to have fun watching crazy hijinks.

Yeah I got through all of that, its just in the end I was kind of unsatisfied. A lot of people seem to like this show, so I was just wondering whether there might have been something I missed or if its just not that good.

It's got style

Well, at its core it's trying to tell the story of a broken family and their reconciliation. The first half introduces us to all the characters and their circumstances then the whole second half is to give them a resolution. Particularly the three left behind in the Mirror Capital, while little Koto is the protagonist she's mostly a catalyst for the story to happen and Yakushimaru is who I'd argue gets the most satisfying conclusion and development. In between that there's a lot of flower and buddhist symbolism, Alice in Wonderland allusions, and references to Japanese culture and folklore. It's incredibly dense, especially on a first watch. It's also obviously not going to appeal to everyone given that a lot of story elements are left to interpretation.

It's a trigger show from before trigger made its debut.
Crazy story, but you are meant to enjoy it more for the characters and experience than the plot. The plot and themes of the show are still amazing, don't get me wrong, and Mirror Kyoto is still probably one of my favourite locations in anime history, but the finale is kinda rushed.
Journey before Destination, user.
Also I'm still surprised Rie Matsumoto and Trigger haven't done something together. It's like a match made in heaven.

Yeah, I can get that. It feels like wasted potential, especially since the art direction was so good. I remember the animation being kinda bad a good portion of the time, especially compared to other shows with a similar purpose.

It's a little thicc and dense so I think enjoying it purely for style is ok too, but it does have substance with its messages about family and some other bullshit. It might just not be your thing as well and it's ok too.

>animation
>kinda bad
Nibba you need to get your eyes checked, it's definitely one of the best looking shows of the passing decade and on average every episode just looks as sexy as Trigger's best episodes.

Attached: tumblr_mufow5vT6q1rx1dfqo1_500.gif (500x281, 979K)

I can't say I feel the same. Matsumoto I would say has a little more restraint than someone like Imaishi or what most Trigger shows offer. Her shows feel more carefully and deliberately constructed. I feel like that might be lost if she were to do something with Trigger.

Should I watch OVA first before watching TV series?

Yes, and the 6 ONAs. You can skip the second and third ONA since they're comprised only of material that is also in the TV show.

I mean yeah, its above average, but if you compare it to flcl or other "style before substance shows" it almost always seems to fall short. Maybe I just don't have the patience for something that isn't quite as wacky. But I've always felt that the purpose of animation is to make everything as visually interesting as possible, and I felt kyousougiga often didn't hold up in that respect.

Attached: flcl.gif (500x375, 1.99M)

No. TV version is the definitive version. If you really like it then you may go watch the OVA and ONAs, and bear in mind you're just getting the whole story spoiled if you do otherwise.
Also, skip episode 0, it's just the OVA and it again spoils the whole story.

>It's a trigger show from before trigger made its debut.
Well, people were calling it this generation's FLCL before the TV show crashed and burned.
The ONAs have amazing animation.
The TV show has 2 well animated episodes, the first and the last. The rest is either recycled footage, average or below average animation.
>Her shows feel more carefully and deliberately constructed
The main problem of her anime is that they completely fall apart as they went on... And it's especially apparent with Kyousougiga, that went through so many revisions and recons going from PV, OVA, ONAs and TV series that it really had no chance of being coherent anymore.
You're not supposed the watch the TV series. Just watch the first episode if you really want to, after the ONAs.

>TV version is the definitive version
And the OVA is part of it as episode 0. That's just contradictory. The show assumes familiarity with the OVA prior to watching it. A lot of the stuff that happens when Kurama captures little Koto to lure Lady Koto into Kyoto is skipped over in episode 6 because it assumes the viewer has already seen it. It'll just be even more confusing if you don't watch the OVA.
>The main problem of her anime is that they completely fall apart as they went on
Big disagree, but to each their own.

>The TV show has 2 well animated episodes, the first and the last. The rest is either recycled footage, average or below average animation.
Wow, you know nothing about animation, do you.

>Big disagree, but to each their own.
It's pretty obvious that as late as the OVA she still had no clear ideas about the story. You still had "Inari" with Koto's voice and hair that clearly wasn't the character he ended up being. And since Toei didn't give her the money to reshoot everything, as it's obvious from the obscene amount of reused footage in the show, she had to try and somehow fit the events of the OVA in the new continuity, and unsurprisingly that's the moment when it all becomes awkward and contrived. Calling the show "carefully and deliberately constructed" is factually wrong.
But more than the lack of planning, the real problem is that in the long run she doesn't seem to be able to hide it and sell what's happening. There are directors that can make anime work even after they stop making sense, for example Kemonozume's last episodes are a mess, but Yuasa made them so crazy and entertaining that it didn't matter. It's the opposite for Matsumoto, she just loses steam and exposes the weakness of the story. A couple of examples: the terrible walk-and-talk exposition of the head priest to Koto in the second to last episode of Kyousougiga, and those long, awkard conversations literally about nothing between the King of despair and Femt.
She needs to either work on shorter stories, like movies, or get a better writer to help her out.

Oh, and how could I forget about this?

Attached: mom daughter bonding.gif (500x289, 452K)

Attached: 1400344043678.gif (793x350, 1.65M)

It's obvious that in the original Lady Koto had kissed Koto thinking she was inari, but toei probably told her to not let that in because japan.

Why do you say it's factually wrong? You haven't proven anything wrong using facts. The only thing you've said that could not be considered an opinion is about Toei not providing funding, and you haven't given real proof for it, just an assumption.
I don't agree that the ONA/OVA content in the TV show is awkward and contrived. At most the former is a little jarring when you see it but it fit in fine, and it doesn't pretend to be fully connected to the latter even though it relies on some of the material in it. It's entirely possible to distinguish the parts it kept and diverged from. Beyond that, there's far more to the show that would merit calling it carefully constructed.
>the terrible walk-and-talk exposition of the head priest to Koto
This is brought up often but I really think it's missing the forest for the trees. I can understand that it would be the final straw if you didn't like the show up to that point, but it seriously was not a major bother for me.
>muh kiss
Oh christ dude, get over it already.

>muh kiss
It's emblematic of the lack of a definitive vision for the anime as late as the OVA, just like "Inari".
>You haven't proven anything wrong using facts
I explained how nothing about the story was finalized as late as the OVA, by pointing at these glaring retcons. Calling this process "careful and deliberate construction" is factually wrong, at best you could call it a "brilliant reproposition" of old material (but it's far from that).
>but it seriously was not a major bother for me
It's textbook bad storytelling and direction. A character literally explaining plot and backstory in a minutes long infodump over what essentialy is a stillframe. Virtually the same as reading it on wikipedia. If this is "not a major bother" for you, what are you even watching anime for?

Koto was cute
Also excellent direction

Attached: koto.webm (1280x720, 761K)

>ZOMG, look at all the wacky hijinks!

>I explained how nothing about the story was finalized as late as the OVA
Not facts but an interpretation for your justification for what you perceive to be flaws the anime contains.
>Calling this process "careful and deliberate construction"
Strawman, I never did that.
Rest of it is simply rehashed points/not worth responding to, the reasons I watch anime are neither here nor there in this discussion.
Since your arguments have degraded this far, I present to you my trump card.

Attached: 1550016887721.jpg (358x373, 42K)

Kyousougiga means family

>Not facts
"Inari" has Koto's voice and ponytail in the OVA. Retconned with no explanation in the series. The kiss was removed. These are facts, emblematic of a change of direction. And before that, the PV was even more dramatically different. Kyousougiga has been a "work in progress" for years, it's only logic that it ended up being a Frankenstein monster.
>Strawman, I never did that.
>Rest of it is simply rehashed points/not worth responding to, the reasons I watch anime are neither here nor there in this discussion.
Since you liked the stillframe infodump, you clearly do not value narrative, direction and animation. So, what's the appeal?

>Her shows feel more carefully and deliberately constructed
Note how I said "show" as in referring to the anime as a whole, whereas in this post you seem to think I was talking specifially about how the OVA material was re-purposed into the show. Funny isn't it.
>These are facts, emblematic of a change of direction
Yes, they are facts on their own. But they do not inherently support your opinion that these retcons and removals made the anime worse, or disprove that the anime can still be well constructed despite them.
>Since you liked the stillframe infodump
Point me to where I said this too. If all you're going to do is twist and misinterpret my words to support your points then there's no point continuing this. You should have left it at "to each their own," at least it was a respectable disagreement then.

>Note how I said "show" as in referring to the anime as a whole
And the anime took off from an OVA that still didn't have major elements like Inari and Kotos' relationship down, and yet it kept it almost entirely. You can't talk about the anime without considering the OVA.
>But they do not inherently support your opinion that these retcons and removals made the anime worse
They support the fact that when the OVA was made the planning was still in progress regarding major elements like the protagonists, and yet it was kept almost entirely.
>or disprove that the anime can still be well constructed despite them.
Calling it carefully and deliberately constructed after what happened between the OVA and the show requires quite the leap of logic, at best you could say it made the best of not ideal conditions. I already said this.
And no, it is not well constructed. The walk and talk exposition is prime example of that.
>Point me to where I said this too
You said that it was not a major bother. I a scene that spoonfeeds you a significant amount of plot, backstory and characterization in the worst way possible is not a major bother, what should I think you?
>You should have left it at "to each their own," at least it was a respectable disagreement then.
You should have left it at "smug_anime_girl.jpg". There's no recovery from that.

So, how is it?
You have a bot that leads you to any thread where the word 'trigger' is mentioned so that you can shit on it or are you just that bored and wish to just shit up all possible threads?

What are you even trying to say? The Kyousougiga ONAs are one of my favorite anime of this decade, and the TV show was a massive disappointment. That's it. That was also the general consensus while it was airing, I don't know why people like the "Plotfags" shitposter (I actually wonder if he's the one I'm replying to) are trying to pretend that it's a misunderstood masterpiece.

I mean, the OVA and ONAs are fine and all, but to call that mess anything but creative is kind of overkill. The TV show you may like more or less but it expanded on everything and made sense of the previous bullshit.

Its got a great OST

same here desu

It's a giant mess of a show but I love it. I make a point of rewatching it every year

I can safely say it's my favorite anime.

>Kugimiya Rie
that's pretty much it