Did your taste in anime grow with you

things made in the last 10 years that can be unironically argued as appreciable from a mature audience

i feel like i'm simply trying to recreate a feeling from 15 years ago when I thought
>wow - what an terrific burgeoning artistic medium which will grow to be a competitive medium for storytelling alongside film
that never really panned out
anime feels like a weird vice that i was supposed to discard

Attached: slugger.jpg (952x525, 57K)

Not sure what's more retarded here. The fact that you've watched anime for 15 years or the fact that, after 15 years, you still think that animation is comparable to live action film beyond extremely superficial levels. I refuse to believe that you know anything about animation or film, for that matter.

I used to be one of those elitists that thinks every anime has to be objectively good and trying to see it from a critic point of view or find some deep meaning in things. Nowadays I just watch what I think is fun, and if I'm not having fun I just drop it. Nothing more than that.

Honestly best thing to happen to me.

>what an terrific burgeoning artistic medium
Tell me what you saw that made you think that so I can laugh at you.
Vanishingly little anime has ever been Mature Cartoons For Mature People.

>you still think that animation is comparable to live action film beyond extremely superficial levels
its a medium to tell stories. while i'd allow that trying to mimic the realistic constraints of live action isn't necessarily the best use of the medium to imply the current type of stories most commonly marketed through animation are the only types of stories suitable to the medium seems.
well
retarded.
>I used to be one of those elitists
i enjoy fictional video media... i'm looking for a simple kind. it using the word "mature" offended I'm sorry. maybe it's not the best description. i've enjoyed some animation works over the years. sometimes I lurk into anime discussions to try to find a recommendation - oftentimes it's something along the lines of
>japanese highschool people have supernatural juxtaposition with life & expositionally navigate awkward social situations. oh look harem.
take a sci-fi property like battlesta galactica (2007) or the expanse (2015). I truly believe that type of production could be done significantly better justice as an animated property due to the lowered production costs of not having to produce fantastic sets and/or the costs associated with realistic CG.
>thinks every anime has to be objectively good
i mean... I don't think anything has to be anything. I would just enjoy watching one that was.
Fuck me for getting old I guess. Watch teenage anime girl adventures into lurking adulthood or GTFO I guess.

Attached: waltzwithbashir.jpg (1600x900, 180K)

15 years later and still a shounenfag

Attached: goat.jpg (702x536, 221K)

True.
I would watch ton of average and below-average shows when I was younger.
Now, I only really enjoy 1-2 shows every season and consider everything else to be either boring or trash.

Attached: 73807031_p0.jpg (924x951, 780K)

have already referenced two but you are too lazy

I've grown to think everything is shit. Even the series I watched numerous times as a teen. I only come to Yea Forums now so I can wait out the ending to One Piece. That way once it's finally done I can stop watching anime forever. Not going to lie though, One Punch Man is pretty good.

Sorry man I guess there was some kind of confusion. I didn't mean to talk shit about what you like, I just said what I like. All I read was the OP which said "did your taste in anime grow with you" and in my opinion yes it did.

Why do I get the impression that you never did anything but parrot other people opinions? If you had analyzed works on your own, you'd have realized that you can be both: A pedantic perfectionist who nitpicks flaws while exploring the multilayered symbolism present in many animed features, and someone who enjoys watching trash. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

>its a medium to tell stories
So are audiobooks, visual novels, games and literature, yet you won't compare live action film to either of them now will you? There are many anime that aren't even particularly popular, yet manage to weave narrative and storytelling elements into the visuals than the ones that are "acclaimed" by newfags (read: 99% of people who watch anime). It might also be time for you to simply accept the production constraints inherent to animation

>live action
loosely based on storyboards/layouts, shoot 10hrs worth of footage and discard the worst 8.5 during the editing process to create something that represents the best of your directional ability; change staging, angles, lightining, entire narrative sections on a whim during filming process
>animation
heavily based on storyboards/layouts, maybe animate 2hrs wroth of footage and cut .5-1, although I'd be surprised if it even was that much; very little room for reinterpretation or script adjustments unless you're Ghibli and can take 8 years to make a movie (e.g. Kaguya)

If you go into animation, unable to appreciate the fact that every single element that moves wasn't merely filmed, then I am not sure why you even watch the medium in the first place. Your appreciation for this artform seems to be limited to an element that can be perfected more efficiently through all other storytelling media.

If by "referenced" you mean "posted screenshots of" then one of them isn't even anime.
You seem to want anime to be something it isn't and never has been. That you apparently expected that to happen for some reason is what I'm mocking.
If you don't want to watch the sort of anime that actually exists, what the fuck are you doing here?

wait... at what point does the "I did a year of filmschool" crash-course become requisite to consume/appreciate art?
While this is all very interesting - how exactly is it relevant?
>then I am not sure why you even watch the medium in the first place
"we interrupt this film to test you on your knowledge of storyboard to total film to final cut ratios. Did you just say 10 to 6 to 1.3? Get the fuck out. Go watch live action pleb"

How exactly does ANY of this relate to the types of stories being told and the original request that I was hoping for references to different genres? Are you just slavering for the opportunity to school someone with your year-of-film-school knowledge?

>something like this that is anime
>something like this that isn't anime but is animated.
you know. like, related of tone of seriousness
because I don't know everything that exists and assumed that people are not me might know things that exist that I don't know

on a general note I guess its unlikely to see growth in the story genres if the tone of the community, when asked "What else you got"
the response is "you're a faggot for asking"

You did no such thing. You merely accused the majority or, in your words, "most commonly marketed" anime to be trash, which is something that holds true for all media. Anime isn't a worse offender than live action TV or film. It just so happens that anime is limited to Japan, and therefore represents a minor subset of creations. Even if the % of good and bad remains the same, the total amount of good and bad will differ drastically due to limited amount of content.

>that I was hoping for references to different genres
What is this even supposed to mean? And where, during this response chain, did you ever mention anything along those lines.

How is anime not versatile anyway? Becuase there's 10 isekai smartphone anime per year? Then I guess it's a good thing that there's an additional 150 shows to choose from.

>What is this even supposed to mean
I will admit I've been vague. I didn't even properly word a question in the original post.
Let me try a resummarization since somehow my original imposition somehow led to somebody angrily accusing me of not understanding story-board to final cut ratios. Which seems like the sort of thing only a very irritable crazy person would do that has difficulty actually trying understanding the intent of a speaker.

I've aged passed demographics to which most anime are marketed. I still enjoy video fiction and think it possible anime creates works that might appeal to me but have difficulty finding anything as even the only (that i know of) appropriate search term "seinen" sends back properties oriented toward late teens ("adult" lands in soft-hentai land I discovered).

Is there anime that has aged with aging audiences? Or since Japanese folk figure you should just be a serious salaryman anyway and put these things to bed is it a stupid question?

Should I simply just sit in a wingback chair sip single batch bourbon & rewatch diehard while smoking chesterfields because that is the only choice that is age appropriate?
Or just embrace my inner (well outer too i guess) manchild, get a waifu pillow, & enjoy the material chiefly designed for teen to holy-shit-you're-still-watching-this bracket because who are we kidding?

Attached: sip.jpg (474x474, 46K)

Christ, you sound like a fucking faggot. Anyways, the actual mature anime that exists out there are actually josei series, but you honestly sound like a fucking neckbeard, and I find it hard to picture you liking most of it based on your ideas about "mature" or "good" anime and what you think being an adult sounds like.

This post is embarrassing from start to finish. Do you even realize that many of the shows you claim to be marketed towards teens, the shows that make a lot of money off of selling waifu pillows, are marketed towards adult males? Who do you think watches CGDCT or most SoL 4koma adaptations? It's salarymen in their 30's, a group you might also know as "otaku".

fpbp

Attached: fag-talk.jpg (500x352, 45K)

Here, have an example of what Toei's target demographic chart for Precure looked like a few years back.

Attached: 1549551232139.png (351x73, 48K)

>muh mature anime for mature people like me hurrr
Go away, gramps.

Just watch old anime and watch less off it. Just watched Jinroh yesterday and it was awesome. Before that I watched berserk and I loved it. Before that cowboy bebop. Loved it too. Before that rurouni kenshin. Also great. I watch like 1-2 series a year.

I started watching anime because American TV was too formulaic. Now, I'm familiar with a lot of formulas used by anime. But there are always one or two shows each season that do something new, even if it's just a spin on an old story. Anime creators seem more willing to experiment than American writers.

It could be how anime is more often based on existing works, like manga and light novels, where the authors had more freedom and proved an audience existed.