Holy crap does this series go to shit once schierke and all those other little annoying fuckers are introduced

Holy crap does this series go to shit once schierke and all those other little annoying fuckers are introduced

Attached: berserk.jpg (400x562, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9XITs6ft4mI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

NOT TRUE.

Attached: budget.jpg (1087x1600, 353K)

>Another idiot amerimutt doesn't understand Berserk

OBSESSED

Nice bait

its true

Bers is cool tho

I still hope, that Miura builds so much "nice and lovely" shit up, just to let all of them getting raped and killed.

It made lot more interesting

miura was young and edgy at the start of berserk, now he is older and appreciate the light aspects of life more.

>t. Griffith

Attached: 214DAB15-5B40-43FB-B403-99B0A3825F02.png (499x499, 154K)

bait

>Lost children
>Guts vs the angels of mozgus
>griffith reborn
>guts vs half apostle goat
>guts vs serpico
>the fight against the water faggot
>guts vs grunbeld
>berserker armor
>casca's comeback
And this is without mentioning the great art, the character development and the philosophical themes of the god hand and the world of berserk

shut the fuck up you stupid bitch schierke saved berserk

I think it's still great but in a different way, and the series came around to this direction in a very organic way that was necessary for Guts to become a more fleshed out character.

Let me guess, you thought the golden age was the best arc, right? Good bait.

I love Berserk but i think this was retarded. How tall was the Albion tower anyway, 200 m?

Attached: 0167-002.jpg (1132x1600, 623K)

>Is that Bazuso!
>The Grey Knight Bazuso?
>The Thirty Man Slayer!
>Also known as the Bear Slaughter...

Attached: GREYKNIGHT.jpg (210x240, 19K)

So, in the latest chapter they were using 3D models. Since when have Miura done this?

What was retarded about it?

It's weird that people love Golden Age and hate Guts gaining companions instead of staying angsty and self destructive forever, when it parallels his character development during Golden Age pretty fucking heavily. Almost note for note, besides finding purpose in protecting Casca rather than being friends with Griffith.

Attached: Berserk-v26-p110-111.png (2536x1800, 1.34M)

Next page.

I guess it's because of the comedy, and the fact that Pippin, Corkus, Rickert and even Judeau didn't get nearly as much individual development and frequent focus as Farnese, Isidro and Schierke, so they leave more to the imagination.

Attached: Berserk-v26-p112.png (1238x1800, 497K)

>What was retarded about it?
Retarded as in absurd, the fact that he survived a 200+ meter fall and still being able to move, and also coinciding with Mozgus in his falling trajectory (although that might have been the work of the Idea of Evil). I'm not someone who analizes every detail for the sake of realism, but up until that point Miura did a good job in staying consistent with making fights physically believable in my opinion.

It also shows the emphasis on trust that the series places. Guts loses trust in his father very early on because of being sold to Donovan, and so despises people touching him for the next ~25 years. He took forever to actually come around to trust Griffith, and his departure from the Band of the Hawk was based on an implicit trust, that Guts wanted his own flame of desire to toss into the Band's bonfire that was Griffith's. But Griffith took it the wrong way because he didn't know this, and the breakdown of trust caused Griffith to fall into despair to the point where he caused the Eclipse. The irony of it is that had Griffith not done that, he likely would've been able to make a full recovery because of the magic healing properties of Elf wing dust and Elfhelm's healing, and Rickert was right there with cure powder at the time.

So once the ultimate expression of trust is broken again between Guts and Griffith (with Casca's rape), Guts severs all ties so he can be bloodthirsty and pragmatic. Puck's stupidity and goofiness kept him clinging to sanity instead of completely falling off the deep end, and as Guts' actions gained more followers that turned into companions, he began relying on their skills to help him do the things he couldn't too, in order to fulfill his own desires. In the current party, Guts' desire to rescue Casca is the big bonfire, and everyone else is throwing their smaller flames into it. Farnese's worldview was changed because of Guts, and her desire to become someone stronger to help protect Casca is due to her perceived helplessness while Guts has the ability to act. Serpico became enthralled in his own emotions to protect Farnese, instead of the cold, emotionless suit of armor he was before. Isidro started maturing, Schierke opened her eyes beyond her forest glade, and they were able to adapt to the new, changing world because of each other.

If it were just Guts alone, he'd probably be dead by now. Casca too.

It's neat how Guts wound up doing the exact same thing following the eclipse as he did after killing Gambino. Casca got on his ass about it constantly until he quit that shit, and then Godot had to snap him out of it for Casca's sake later. The mad dog, constantly putting his life on the line so he's too busy just surviving to stop and think.

Oh goodness, I stopped worrying about that when the Count bashed him THROUGH a very thick, solid stone pillar. And then another one. Guts has survived all kinds of absolutely stupid bullshit, all while swinging that giant iron slab around like the weight and momentum shouldn't tear his arm off. But hey, fantasy, right?

Attached: Berserk_v04_p172.png (1216x1800, 426K)

>If it were just Guts alone, he'd probably be dead by now. Casca too.
That was very heavily implied, yeah. His last conversation with Godot is my favorite scene in the series. And the whiplash from going from bloody vengeance to loyal protector has sheared his psyche practically in half. Joining up with Farnese and the others was an absolute necessity, without which Guts could not have succeeded.

But I guess that's cold comfort when people think his change in priorities was crap from the get go.

I don't know if pixie dust could have made Griffith whole again. With the state he was in, that would be akin to Puck being able to give Guts his right eye and his arm back. It can mend flesh and bone great, but it can't regenerate a severed tongue, or restore tendons and muscles that were destroyed years ago. At least we haven't seen it do anything that drastic yet.

If someone says that the Golden Age is the best arc, that's an entirely valid opinion.
When they say the series went to shit once Guts started making friends, they expose their own retardation and plebeian taste.

Farnese and the loli witch piecing together Casca's shattered mind was worth the wait.
I do admit I wish Isidoro feels like a weak link. He's supposed to be Yahiko, but by this point Yahiko was using dynamite to get mad ups so he could imitate Kenshin's moves on what amounted to a flying skeleton.

Regardless of your feelings on how berserk evolved over the decades we all have to agree that Schierke is made for breeding

Attached: twisted.jpg (1024x384, 76K)

>the Count bashed him THROUGH a very thick, solid stone pillar.
You're probably right in that being pretty absurd as well, but the illusion kinda worked because Guts was left unconscious for a good bit and Puck was there to nurse him. In comparison, falling from a height that would pulverize said column unscathed feels out of a cartoon comedy scene and hurts the tense atmosphere that enshrouds the story. You can also ignore the Dragon Slayer being impossible to wield to an extent because of Guts harsh upbringing making him much stronger than what anyone can relate, or argue with yourself about the column's integrity, but you can't convince yourself that something like gravity can be switched on and off when it's convenient to the characters.
What you say about Guts surviving physically impossible feats is true, and i don't want to dispute this. I just wanted to post about that specific moment to see if someone else felt the same way at that point when reading the manga.

Attached: 1551053736774.jpg (1073x961, 592K)

elf powder could make Griffith's tongue grow back?

The tone is consistent, as the plot progress, it's just that the pace it's beyond horrendous, waiting years for a little snippet from a story that maybe it's three quarters or less it's infuriating in the least and in the worse enough reason to drop the whole series.
It's feel it's written in one way in which basically the overall story it's already planned so maybe when i'm forty and Miura has already died from old age or cancer someone can finally wrap all this.

yeah every one knows that, its a shame it was so fucking good, now wait till you get to the boat

Probably not since guts hasn't used it to regrow his lost arm.

Plus even if it could it would be able to take back months of being bummed by the torturer. That kinda anal stretching is for life.

With as much ass as she has already, I anticipate what puberty is going to do to her.

I only just started reading the series. Does Guts become less of an edgelord faggot as the series progresses? His "pssssh nothing personnel kid I hate weaklings who can't fight so all civilians can go die" is kind of irritating and comes off as the kind of edgy personality a 13 year old's anime OC would have

Ya nearly had me.

Attached: 1553282914512.jpg (918x592, 96K)

i prefer the edgelord phase than the emotional hero who saves little girls in danger

Except edgelord Guts has always been a disguise to protect the real Guts from people whose motivations include any combination of acquiring castles and/or silver coins.

Attached: 1535336662571.jpg (760x879, 263K)

I am assuming he just means Grunbeld and afterwards, since he mentions Schierke.

And that is true. All fights end with asspulls since she showed up, and Guts really has no reason to be angry or chase Griffisu now that his and Casca's brands are dealt with by Schierke.

fuck off back to /pol/

I suppose I had my suspension of belief scaled so high that it hardly seemed out of the ordinary at a glance. But when you put it that way, that was pretty ridiculous even for this series. The only way I could think to rationalize it is that Guts turned Mozgus so that he absorbed the brunt of the initial impact, and they hit the tower at a sorta shallow angle. On that page you posted it does appear that Guts' cape is flapping above the debris as Mozgus skids through the stonework. But even then, no damage at all from the crash?

Come to think of it, just how high up was Guts when he smoked Rosine? If we can't turn off gravity, can we just ignore surface tension? He hit the lake head first.

Attached: Berserk_v21_p028.png (1211x1800, 682K)

Yes. He is basically one of those selfless harem mcs nowadays.

I guess i've reached the point where i cant distinguish from an honest question or bait. But basically that's the whole development in Guts case; overcome hatred and find a resolution which may be vengeance that means total annihilation or forgiveness which imply something in the lines of basically forgiving the biggest traitor in the history of the world, like Satan.
But i enjoy that these details aren't in black or white because the figure of God in the world of Berserk works more like a collective idea that basically doesn't see evil or good in our terms but more like series of things that happen to form an indeterminate purpose, plays with the notion of faith vs will, i really liked these series and should keep reading.

Do we have any word at all on whenever the next chapter might be?

Damn it Miura you drew him looking way too old in Spring Day. It's before he met Griffith so he's supposed to be early teens, close to how old Isidro currently is. This will never not bug me.

Attached: Berserk_v04_p103.png (1211x1800, 509K)

Not OP, but he said when schierke joined and almost everything on your list is before she did.

No idea, but i've noted these rare coincidence, whenever a new thing is about or has already happened the same threads always pop around (Griffith didn't do anything wrong, edgy shit, bazuso, the nigger that raped guts, etc). I wouldn't hold my breath it may be months or even an entire year.

We're back on hope and a prayer schedule. The longest we've ever waited was over a year a while ago. Fingers crossed.

Tower of Conviction is peak Berserk for me, but I agree the story went in a worse direction after Schierke. Mind you, there's still a good thing here and there, and the Griffith segments and trolls raping people show us that Miura still knows how to write gritty shit... But he's choosing to go full fantasy and it's kinda boring.

He's still a good writer but I don't like what he's doing. It could work if Berserk was weekly or at least monthly, since we'd get over this quickly, but the guy can take several years just to get over an arc so he should ditch all building aspects and only write important chapters and get back to the real Berserk already instead of baiting with light and hope. He is to blame for not doing that. At this point we don't need him to flesh out side plots and do "filler scenes". An example of filler would be the chapter dedicated to Griffith finding out the dimensional path to travel with his army in the latest chapter. Finding and explaining that plot device is not needed. I don't think anyone would complain if he had suddenly walked his army into another dimension since we know he's a God,but Miura wasted a chapter just to explain us he found a special spot and can do that. Instead he should have drawn his actual goal, whatever that is, with Griffith taking them to his special spot for sacrifices or something and move the plot forward.

Considering the months and years between chapters he should be rushing stuff. If the God Hand are enemies to fight he'll need like 100 chapters just setting that up since Guts is just a very strong apostle. Not to talk about the Griffith vs Guts conflict and whatever story Skull Knight might get and Casca becoming a warrior again and whatever happens to Guts' party and the Rickert sub plot I mean he went away flying in a dinosaur or something... Once you consider all the elements already set up, even if Miura rushed things it'd take hundreds of chapters to get to a meaningful end.

I unironically preferred old Guts from the Black Swordsman arc. He went through some crazy insane shit and it makes no sense for him to "realize that seeking revenge is wrong" or whatever and surround himself with annoying tagalongs that lost their usefulness hundreds of chapters ago.

Hell, Guts finally achieving his goal of reaching Elf Island and fixing Casca feels like it doesn't even matter. You'd think something that big would be GRAND but Miura still does his usual hiatus routine.

>There are "people" who think that Lost Children despite all the rampant child murder was not actually a hopeful story

How do you get this mentally disabled?

As long as he finishes it's fine. It's like complaining at all about GRRM releasing books that weren't even planned when he started Winds of Winter before WoW even comes out.

Yeah, the Rosine fight was pretty over the top as well in that sense. But it didn't bother me nearly as much because of that fight's build up and the punishment Guts recieved from it. Guts dropping from the top of the tower was too unexpected and gratuitous to me that it made go wtf.

Do we have any word at all on whenever the next chapter might be?

When the end came, all those children, including Rosine, wanted nothing more than to just go home. And ultimately that's what Jill wound up doing. Even if they are shitty, kids can't help but love their parents deep down. Even Guts could relate which is why he kept subconsciously holding back against Rosine and had a soft spot for Jill.

I agree it had a hopeful message, especially the ending, but damn that episode got heavy at times. Miura was good at making those kids believably childish which made everything that happened both horrifying and heart-wrenching.

Attached: Berserk_v16_p126.png (1200x1800, 126K)

The Berserk manga is drawn so well that no anime adaption will ever give it justice. We need a weeaboo to win the lottery and fund a proper adaption. Not a shitty CGI anime. I would prefer live action before watching uncanny valley CGI.

Live action direct-to-video Berserk is a miracle we don't deserve.

youtube.com/watch?v=9XITs6ft4mI

If they did a live action Berserk it would have to be done by Americans. Japanese films and series are weird. They almost always have god awful special effects.

>everyone who disagrees with me is an american

>He doesn't understand the light hearted children aspect in contrast to the realistic adult aspect in Berserk post conviction arc

Back to Yea Forums you dumb

Attached: 1483553918026.png (600x568, 524K)

Except at one chapter a year he won't fucking finish it because he'll be playing idolmaster when he keels over one day

Black Swordsman is and will always be peak Berserk.

Muira seems pretty shut off from the world. Can we hire some swindler to trick him out the cushy money he's sitting on so he's forced to get to work on releasing more chapters to buy idolmaster shit.

Idolmaster costs more than manga supplies. It'd never work

Attached: 01300001087548131272101728843.jpg (704x396, 45K)

>More
Fuck I meant fucking LESS GOD DAMN IT I'M SUCH A FUCKING DUMBASS

Attached: 1553388907591.png (200x300, 28K)

NOOOOOOOOO WHY IS BERSERK NOT AN EDGEFEST ANYMORE IT WAS SO F*CKING EPIC WHEN GUTS GOT RAPED AND THEN HE MURDERED THOSE DUDES

Attached: 1534218573297.jpg (1624x1080, 113K)

They want Guts to unleash the full force of his edge

Attached: Berserk_v23_p066.png (1230x1811, 827K)

A nonstop downward spiral to the end, taking Griffith with him

Attached: Berserk_v23_p069.png (1233x1811, 854K)

Fuck comic relief, fuck babysitting the potato, fuck magic and the power of friendship, fuck forgetting image spoiler

Attached: Berserk_v23_p070.png (1239x1811, 731K)

>why isn't my dark fantasy dark anymore
Are you faggots really going to pretend you actually enjoy this boat and friendship shit over Guts going around seeking revenge?

This is right before he runs into Farnese and Isidro again and agrees to travel with them, and also shortly before meeting Schierke, and I think this chapter is bar none the absolute edgiest Berserk ever got.

I think I prefer the kids and occasional shenanigans.

Attached: Berserk_v23_p071.png (1236x1811, 681K)

>Holy crap does this series go to shit once schierke and all those other little annoying fuckers are introduced

You literally said nothing wrong.

Oh look, it is our weekly episode of retards bemoaning their own lack of reading comprehension.

Am i edgy for liking this chapter because it makes me feel sad? Does liking tragedy make you edgy?

Attached: e87.jpg (338x528, 121K)

I feel like that's a lowkey way of saying Griffith has a huge dick and he beat her pussy up during that rape sequence. I think it's also a reference to Guts' lack of length and girth.

I really do.

Attached: Respectfully disagree.png (744x395, 228K)

why does reading comprehension factor into this? I think it's a fair gripe to have if you don't like Berserk's shift in tone and story.

I feel the same way about a lot of things in Berserk. Guess we're both edgy.

Attached: Love hurts.png (1213x1800, 425K)

>I think it's a fair gripe to have if you don't like Berserk's shift in tone and story.

There was never a tone shift. The first and silliest member of Guts' adventuring party appeared in Chapter fucking 1. We learned that Guts edgelord persona is a mask he's not happy with and only wears because he knows no other way of dealing with his circumstances at the end of the toad count arc. The trajectory of the manga past the Golden Age flashback was to a large extent predictable from these two points. Not understanding that and expecting some endless edge is a sign of poor reading comprehension.

I couldn't make it past the first chapter, what a boring fucking manga

ok

Faggot.

Golden age is the best arc

Imagine the clang...

>There was never a tone shift

Before it was dark fantasy (like Witcher or GoT, both of which have silly characters and comic relief). Now it's not. The change may have been predictable but that doesn't make the result any less boring.

>Witcher or GoT
Thank God Berserk is neither of those things.

Attached: 062.jpg (500x1319, 86K)

>"pssssh nothing personnel kid I hate weaklings who can't fight so all civilians can go die"
That shit is a front he puts up while he's still trying to process what happened during the Eclipse.
Starts melting away after the Golden Age, the first three volumes are a little rough in comparison.

>a front
Yup. And it was clear he was forcing it even back then.

The priest and the girl's death clearly fucked with him. Vargas' death fucked with him even though he tried to pretend it didn't. Theresa's situation messed with him and being a cruel as he was to her made him feel like complete shit. Guts was never cold and hateful, he was just incredibly angry and deeply depressed.

Not to say he wasn't a humongous asshole - he was horrible - but it was a defense mechanism, not genuine disregard.

Fuck you. Defending the church and Qlipoth was fucking amazing compared to the lame ass fucking Tower arc with shitty Mozgus running around being a fuckwit.

yes, he's essentially going through a bit of an emo phase after some TRAUMATIC SHIT
something really bad happened to him and people he cares about, so he broke a bit and decided to try and be a heartless killer

as time goes on, you'll see that he's essentially putting on an act because he thinks he has to harden himself in order to fight against monsters without going insane

>without going insane

Attached: Guts and Hobbes.png (630x382, 145K)

based

I hope so but I doubt it, Miura isn't in the same state of mind as he used to be 20 years ago.

.t mutt

It was bland.

>I think it's still great but in a different way
This. It is different from where it started but I still enjoy it.

uguu

Attached: 1472147961145.jpg (1231x1181, 316K)

Puck was perfectly fine as a contrast to Guts' edgyness in the first few arcs, but Guts is no longer edgy so he serves no purpose whatsoever. Serpico, Farnese and even Isidro were perfectly fine during Conviction because that arc was dark as fuck and you kinda needed them around in order to not make it completely depressing. They were also somewhat balanced characters, with conflicts and goals tied to the ongoing conflict with the Faith.

The issue is that they stayed around after they were an important part of the plot, and then Schierke showed up, and since then the series has put more emphasis on all the girls falling in love with Guts than on Guts taking revenge on Griffith since then. Now even Isidro has a love interest and Puck acts like Roger from American Dad.

How is that not a tonal shift? Did you really think Guts would eventually have a harem when you read Golden Age?

Maybe if you like shonenshit and get excited whenever Guts and Schierke go "I guess I'll have to use THAT".

Just bought volume 1 of the deluxe set. Shit is fucking beautiful.
Also
>Hirasawa composed two fucking beautiful songs for that 2016 abomination

Attached: 1544206312121.jpg (859x1024, 141K)

Well, Golden Age IS the best arc.

I prefer the Conviction Arc

Also, since you talk about how this was "predictable", let's talk about the plot ahead.

It comes to reason that since Guts and Casca already have everything they need to be happy in Elf Island, the rest of the world is a hellhole, and they still stand no chance against Griffith and the Godhand, that they should no longer feel compelled to pursue Griffith.

Which is why Miura will have some shit writing like Griffith himself attacking Elf Island in order to move the plot forward.

>I guess I'll have to use THAT
Nigga what on earth are you on about?
Guts finally gets to go back to his old stuff, going ham without a thought.
Schierke didnt use some bullshit magic, it was well explained and reasonable, the only one who can "use that" is fucking Griffith.

The problem is not guts making friends you fucking idiot, the problem is the moe loli bullshit. The fairy was enough.

>Shit! That Giant is attacking the Town and Guts is just strong enough to hold him off. I guess I'll have to use my Summons!
>Guts! You can't beat that apostle on your own! Use that magic BERSERKER armor that I conveniently had stocked in my house! It'll make you just powerful enough to take out that apostle! But luckily, no other Apostle will intevene!
>Guts! I told you not to overuse that BERSERKER armor... But now that you've overused it, I can heal you.
>Guts! I know I told you not to overuse that BERSERK power... BUT you can overuse it IF I mindmeld with you to help you overcome it. It is different!
>Guts! I know I was acting like I couldn't mindmeld with you from far away in your previous fights... But just this once against the Sea God, I'll use Astral Projection, Guts! But keep in mind that this is totally straining! Just like your armor!

>Guts! You can't beat that apostle on your own! Use that magic BERSERKER armor that I conveniently had stocked in my house! It'll make you just powerful enough to take out that apostle! But luckily, no other Apostle will intevene!

Skullknight foreshadow.

>Guts! I told you not to overuse that BERSERKER armor... But now that you've overused it, I can heal you.

Again, Skullknight and Fiora, time is a spiral, now Guts and Schiereke does the exact same thing.

>But just this once against the Sea God, I'll use Astral Projection, Guts! But keep in mind that this is totally straining! Just like your armor!

Ill give you that one, that was kinda bullshit.

Attached: bait.jpg (221x315, 20K)

>It comes to reason that since Guts and Casca already have everything they need to be happy in Elf Island, the rest of the world is a hellhole, and they still stand no chance against Griffith and the Godhand, that they should no longer feel compelled to pursue Griffith.

Yeah, the fact that the guy who got so assmad the last time he saw them happy together he sold his soul is now ruling most of the world is totally not a reason to haul their asses. Even assuming for no reason at all that they have no thought of revenge.

>Which is why Miura will have some shit writing like Griffith himself attacking Elf Island in order to move the plot forward.

Yeah, totally shit writing to have the guy who had a habit of murdering anyone he perceived as a threat before he became a demon lord attack the place which shelters the most persistent enemies of Godhand!

Anyone who says stupid shit is an american.