It was phenomenal. This is my personal favourite anime of the decade

It was phenomenal. This is my personal favourite anime of the decade.

Attached: pingpong.png (1366x768, 575K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oS7Rg089Qfk
helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/how-to/aftereffects-roto-brush-cc.html
youtube.com/watch?v=2VIAU6FqpP0
youtube.com/watch?v=62qWI7CpIds
oreilly.com/library/view/adobe-after-effects/00320100017SI/TAEC5ES_P01_C07_L07.html
youtube.com/watch?v=oN-jfL7J_e0&index=2&list=PLu_ACHb5UXf5vcsrxHk1ClBTXkKq86dcz
youtu.be/8i93vXUKqnI
youtu.be/wJgH0yHz-Hs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Without that ending and China this show would be pretty forgettable

Attached: 1549882277106.jpg (1280x720, 138K)

I can't disagree with you. AOTD for me so far. No other yuasa work of the decade can top it either.

Attached: 1526928583029.png (611x720, 400K)

What's the appeal? It just looks like bad art and a boring story about kids playing ping pong.

No, the build up is just as good.

>bad art
Yeah, it should've been generic moeshit.

It's about much more than just Ping-Pong, yoou won't see better character development in anything unless it's called Ashita no Joe. Phenomenaly impressive for such a short manga.

The themes jived from me from episode 1. So it depends what the themes of hard work and natural talent mean to you.
If they mean little to you and your life, said anime won't jive with you overall.

>he thinks this is about ping pong
You don't even have to know anything about ping pong to watch this, pleb.

>This is my personal favourite anime of the decade.
Same.

Attached: horriblesubs-ping-pong-the-animation-02-720p-mkv_snapshot_16-19_2014-04-18_14-19-14-1.jpg (1280x720, 106K)

I watched the first episode already. And it was definitely kids playing ping pong with bad art.

>bad art
Why do stupid people keep saying this?

That's Tatami galaxy, not Ping pong.

Because it clearly is? The characters are grotesque looking, like that aku no hana girl.

Still not inherently about ping pong. Did you learn any terminology from that episode, even?

>So it depends what the themes of hard work and natural talent mean to you.
I've liked some other series that have covered those themes but didn't really feel it in Ping Pong. I just hated all the characters for the majority of the show which didn't help.
It's a shame considering how many pre-2010 Yuuasa stuff I like that I haven't really liked any since then.

10/10 show but the childhood flashbacks were a tad too cheesy at some points

You'd be surprised if you leave your cave and look at the mirror.

looks like shit.

Ok but it isn't rotoscope

Attached: pingpongchina2.jpg (500x353, 33K)

Ping pong is the only thing I saw them doing in that episode, don't know what to tell you except it definitely was an animation depicting kids playing ping pong.

>Because it clearly is?
lmao

It's my personal favorite anime of all time, just impeccable. Can't really find any faults. The art style takes some getting used to but now I wouldn't want it any other way.

Also posting best OST track
youtube.com/watch?v=oS7Rg089Qfk

Attached: Episode 10 - You're A Hero, Aren't You.mkv_snapshot_14.52_[2018.10.27_02.00.44].png (1920x1080, 1.48M)

If I may ask, what series covers this and with a conclusion to the issue that coherently?

So they managed to make the characters look grotesque by hand instead of doing it automatically? That's cool I guess.

>oh no this form of expression does not cater to my preconceived notion of how anime should look like therefore it must be SHIT!

you're a retard if you think yuasa's stuff is bad.
its different sure, but, you should, like seriously, consider to expand your horizons.

love this shot

>by hand instead of doing it automatically
you have no idea how rotoscoping works, do you

weebs are so scared of things that fall outside of their comfort zone. no wonder anime is all so fucking samey.

I'm not going to pretend like the art isn't a tad off-putting like the other anons, but refusing to watch a universally praised show because the characters look icky is still absolute pleb-tier
If you actually bothered watching a single episode you'd realize that it isn't to the shows detriment at all and allows for some pretty fluid animation

It's not the 1930s. They do rotoscoping with computers now.

Just here to post the biggest Chad of the decade

Attached: CHINA.jpg (210x240, 18K)

jesus christ, it's an idiot.

I did watch a single episode. I watched the first one. Which is why I can't understand what the appeal is. It's borderline impressive to me how much you guys can like this when nothing impressive or interesting happened in it as far as I can tell from seeing the first episode and reading about the rest.

You saw them just...playing ping pong, with no thematic elements depicted that may end up taking front center role above the sport itself? Nothing, huh?

implying its only weebs
>look at recent hollywood films
>look at recent games released
just to name some prominent examples

Its just theres more low-brain-capacity sheeple that pay than actual thinking humans. Selling something ne to idiots is quite hard.

There's even an old saying in my language:
"What the farmer doesn't know he does not eat"
Whereas farmers were regarded as stupid bottom class citiziens too scared to try something new. Still applies to all sorts of things.

It's mostly series that have it as a side theme, not as a major element. For example things like Hanebado or Shakunetsu where it wasn't a major factor in me liking it, just a small part of them.
At least I know Ping Pong did it better than the Hanebado anime adaption.

literally sounds like any naruto speech before defeating the final villain

I don't want to just tell people they're retards, as people are into different things, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, etc.
But holy shit you are actually legitimately retarded

Recommend me a show that conveys as much energy as Ping Pong does during its matches

You can do it too, user. It's called Rotobrush in Adobe After Effects.

>Ping Pong
>Space Dandy
>Nozaki-kun
>Barakamon
>Mushishi S2
>Shirobako
2014 was truly a blessed year. Even the trash series were worth watching so you could join in on pounding in a nail or two to crucify Godawful dreck like Pupa, Glasslip, Mekakucity Actors, and WUG.

>They do rotoscoping with computers now.
It's called motion capture, dipshit.

Attached: 1410794000829.png (512x288, 148K)

Any show since there was no energy. I can't remember a more boring first episode, it might just be the winner.

I loved the show and I still agree with you

helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/how-to/aftereffects-roto-brush-cc.html

ok bye

youtube.com/watch?v=2VIAU6FqpP0
The show reached its full potential at this scene for me. After that it just kept going without droping off until the grand final.

>uni's anime society
>"and the next anime we'll be showing got in through the random vote...I'm sorry, guys, it's Ping Pong"
>*collective groans*
>half the room gets up to leave
What the fuck

Attached: what.jpg (1024x1024, 69K)

Just cause it's called the roto brush doesn't mean it's used for rotoscope animation you absolute retard. Don't try to talk about things you don't know anything about.
t. professional animator who's literally done rotoscope animation before.

>uni's anime society

Attached: 1488581888390.jpg (498x341, 41K)

>when that one song comes on
Chills every time.

Likewise, I rewatch it at least once a year since it's so good along with Gurren Lagann for motivation.

youtube.com/watch?v=62qWI7CpIds
HERO KENZAN

>uni's anime society
Do you expect anything less from a group only in the club to watch BNHA?

i rewatch the dragon vs pico episode all the time to make me feel good.

Attached: ping pong kino.webm (640x360, 1.92M)

>Just cause it's called the roto brush doesn't mean it's used for rotoscope animation
Nobody claimed its name was the reason it's a rotoscoping computer tool you dummy. It just is a rotoscoping computer tool, the name is irrelevant.
oreilly.com/library/view/adobe-after-effects/00320100017SI/TAEC5ES_P01_C07_L07.html

I don't have a choice, my entire friendship circle consists of idiots such as myself who decided to go there on fresher's and ended up sticking together.
The upshot is I get to pretend I'm an absolute patrician

same

I mean.. obviously it's the anime of the decade. What competition has there even been?
Ikuhara and Yuasa are the only directors left who can compete with each other, and wtf has Ikuhara even been doing?

>Ikuhara
a literal who?

It's not about fucking hard work and talent holy shit. Why do so many people on Yea Forums have trouble getting an anime that outright tells you what it's about every 5 minute?

Attached: xS3D3Et.jpg (1296x729, 105K)

If Yuasa Masaaki made the best anime of the decade with an adaptation of Ping Pong, imagine what he could do with Sunny or Takemitsu Zamurai (better manga by the same mangaka).

Sunny is on the same level as Ping Pong. A Takemitsu adaptation would shift all of my anime scores down by 1.

Attached: tz 41.png (728x980, 639K)

This was 9/10 for me back then, but it became 10/10 after I rewatched it. I wouldn't mind If this series is anime of the decade.

China is best boy. That train scene though.

Takemitsu by Yuasa would be absolute perfection. Imagine this scene with Ping Pong-tier direction.

Attached: ef58ee832d461734936bd6ed3f01ef9d.png (1280x902, 1.39M)

Why do shows about table tennis have the best OSTs?

Attached: Cover.jpg (747x639, 325K)

what other 10s do you have?

It's ugly

god youre a fag

Hard work and talents are big themes in the movie (which you can expect from any sport-oriented story) but I'd say the most important theme was passion. The big guy had both talent and hard work but he did not enjoy himself. One character is an emotionless robot who berates someone for not having talent, and yet he loses to another character is an idiot who really loves ping pong. Isn't of being a story about hard work vs talent it's a story about passion and pressure.

OH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

>It's ugly
As near as I can tell this is like those shitty postmodern art displays at museums where everyone knows it's bad but you have to pretend it's good because you're on eight layers of irony and think bad is good now or something.

Attached: 05.jpg (482x522, 62K)

Is Ping Pong the single biggest pleb filter in anime?

Attached: My Wings Can Take No More.png (1920x1080, 2M)

Attached: 1521589901737.png (1920x1080, 1.89M)

If you mean it in the sarcastic sense like Yea Forums when they call Batman v Superman a pleb filter, then yes.

I tried to watch this show in 2014 and 2016 but the first episode bored me.
Should I try?

It's more about the animation than the still-shots.
Yuasa's animation is fluid and dynamic. It's really fun and engaging to watch

Yeah, totally, it should've looked like generic moeshit.

Ping Pong is the only anime that has made me cry.

Attached: We Are All Alive.png (1920x1080, 2.1M)

God I fucking love smile, lads
It takes a couple of episodes but it's definitely great

To clarify, I'm not just talking about the visuals. The way everyone reacts to this like it's some profound distillation for the meaning of life when it's actually just a bunch of really uninteresting characters and their different approaches to a tabletop game is exactly like people being wowed by postmodern scribbles and urinal art too.
It's sort of like fans of this are expressing pride in being able to find something so amazing inside something so mundane and not amazing. I'm not sure how intentional this mental process is.

Attached: duchamp.jpg (840x998, 69K)

reccing the aku no hana manga for vaguely similar feels

>The same board that constantly jerks the fuck off about Shounen schlock tries to say that anything else looks bad or unappealing

Ping Pong, Kaiba or Tatami Galaxy?

NI HAU

Ping Pong is a really refreshing take on a long since formulaic genre and medium. Whatever its flaws, it delivers through strong execution. I think that's why it's so beloved.

What is good anime to you?

Ping Pong > Tatami Galaxy > Kaiba

It's garbage only for pretencious tier people

>pretencious
tasteless spic

I don't fucking get it, I watched it recently and it just felt like any other generic sports anime to me

Attached: 1504583815997.png (276x270, 33K)

Walk on Girl = Ping Pong > Tatami > Kaiba

>it's actually just a bunch of really uninteresting characters and their different approaches to a tabletop game
Yes, and 2001 is just this boring movie about two guys stuck in a tin can with a melodramatically insane computer

Feel bad about him, lads.
Not his fault that Peco & Smile are so skillful.

>Ping Pong is a really refreshing take on a long since formulaic genre and medium. Whatever its flaws, it delivers through strong execution. I think that's why it's so beloved.
Do you see how a description like that is really vague and doesn't really explain the appeal though? It's like you skipped to the "it's good" step and didn't say anything about what made it seem good to you.
>What is good anime to you?
Golden Boy
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Mushishi
Paprika
Spice and Wolf
Kimagure Orange Road
Paranoia Agent
Planetes
Aria
Utena
Detroit Metal City
Garden of Words
2001 was hypnotically fascinating though. The subject matter was massive / cosmic in scope, the stakes were life or death, the imagery was both pleasant to look at and eye-catching in its exotic alien qualities, and the slow pacing fits well with the dissociated and abnormally self-conscious way human behavior works in an outer space setting. I do not see a 2001 thing going on with Ping Pong at all.

Attached: 2001.jpg (1000x563, 93K)

Biggest jobber too

I never said it WAS just about hard work and talent. It BEGINS with the struggle of hard work vs talent, only to accumulate in none of that mattering above passion. Now fuck off faggot.

ikuhara is about to claim aoty

Kinda weird you like all that but don't like this. Yet it's also kinda weird you keep dropping it at the first episode without giving it more of a chance to appease to you.

>Garden of Words
kek

>didn't say anything about what made it seem good to you..
The animation, which I already hit on, the hype music, the cut-up cinematography and art of the shot all feed into the energy of the show, which is the real driver. It's a sports anime after all
It feels like you're reading a manga half of the time, which is a cool homage to the source material
The fact that one of the main characters is foreign, speaking his own language throughout, and turns out not the be the goofy outsider who is only on for comedic relief, but the character who garners the most sympathy from the viewer is pretty big
Profound or not, there are plenty of positives to Ping Pong

Have you not liked any of Yuasa's other works either?

You didn't like Garden of Words? The visuals were ridiculously high quality.

>Have you not liked any of Yuasa's other works either?
Tatami Galaxy was OK.
>kinda weird you keep dropping it at the first episode
I don't have much of an attention span anymore at this point in my life. I also can't think of a single time where I didn't like the first episode of a show but did like the rest of it.

He's literally facing 2 heavily equipped MCs & 1 WC.
I wouldn't call that jobbing, mate.

Good taste

Yeah man it's sick. Probably in the top 10 of the decade for me.

If Tatami was OK, you should check out The Night is Short, Walk on Girl, if you haven't yet

>doesnt understand what delivery or execution are
You can come up with a really interesting and unique story and tell it thru whatever meduim you like, but if you fucking suck at using the meduim to its best ability and fail to execute it well then no one will ever care about that story.
Ping Pong is a pretty simple show about a simple message thats told in such a way that drives emotion, is executed perfectly and really is a work of art.

There is nothing pretentious about the show either, the problem with simple minded retards is that they're too damn shallow to take a hint, I couldnt care much for the artstyle when i first started watching it but it grew on me. And if you really can't be bothered to watch a highly rated show because your autism rings too hard then just fucking kill yourself fag

Give episode 2 a try, I'm sorta curious if it'll stick you. If you aren't bawling by the christmas episode, your emotions are shot.

>Ping Pong's symbolism is subtle and actually uses it to the show's advantage, which so many others try to literally force feed the viewer's symbolism and end up coming off as cringey
>"wtf i dont get it its not explained to me this show sucks"

Attached: Butterfly Joe.png (1920x1080, 2.94M)

This and Ashita no Joe are the greatest sports series ever. Nothing else surpasses them.

Didn't care much for Joe, personally. Nice as a historical reference but I can't see myself going to bat for it today.

the absolute state of anime viewers

youtube.com/watch?v=oN-jfL7J_e0&index=2&list=PLu_ACHb5UXf5vcsrxHk1ClBTXkKq86dcz

Hype song right here

Attached: Taken Off.png (1920x1080, 886K)

Attached: Gonna Cry A Bit.png (1920x1080, 732K)

easily top 3 for me alongside tatami and mind game

youtu.be/8i93vXUKqnI
It took me a second watch to realize that dragon didn't even show up to the date

youtu.be/wJgH0yHz-Hs

Attached: 1519092017191.png (205x246, 4K)

Truly a masterpiece. I don't know why I put off watching it as long as I did, I like all Yuasa's other work that I've seen. Watched Ping Pong a few months back and was blown away by how well executed and genuinely enjoyable it was.

People who can't get past their initial reaction to the visuals are doing themselves a disservice by missing out on a wonderful series. The animation is as fluid and appealing as any other Yuasa work, and really fits well with the story and the general feel of the adaptation. May be the best sports anime ever made.

Not even "sport animes" man, they are amazing series on their own right, they are in a league of their own when it comes to storytelling, music and fuck pretty much everything, there's very little series that get up to this level of quality.

China celebrating new year always makes me cry like a kid that lost his mom.