WHen I think of shounen, I think of Conan

>not a beta MC
>never cries
>has a healthy relationship with his girlfriend instead of shying away from love
>never jobs to anyone
>super smart
>no asspulls
>the most entertaining shounen MC in terms of personality & character
>the most interesting road to success being a mystery show instead of another battle shounen

You can't debate it.

Attached: ah, I see you're a detective of culture as well.jpg (640x480, 134K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=II1UzSoxl2U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Congrats. You don't associate the entire demographic with a subsection of it. Do you want a medal?

pleast don't bring conan into this kind of discussion.

>Conan
>healthy relationship with girlfriend
Maybe that would be the case is the romance in this series wasn't complete garbage. The only relationship I care about is TakagixSatou. The rest are all a bunch of idiots that think like fucking grade schoolers.

I only care about are Jimmy x Heiji or Amuro x Shuichi desu

>Jimmy
Why can't dub companies leave the names intact. I grew up with the german dub and it didn't have to rely on this kind of retardism.

Thank you.

Funimation reportedly fought against it (they never usually did dub naming) and the Case Closed title but TMS assured it was better for the IP to reach an American audience with. Funny how hard the reaction was against it as soon as the changes were announced in 2004 instead, more so than the usual anime that went through americanization.

Also I have german dub questions, does Conan sound goofy to germans or is it just an outsider perspective? I've seen german clips and they sound like they went for a goofy wacky approach. Another question I have is if when the series returned last year, did they start dubbing OPs and EDs again or did they leave them in Japanese? I think you guys are nearly 400 episodes in now, and I heard the dub stopped somewhere in the early 300s and 18 films.

Attached: conan edogawa.jpg (960x720, 59K)

>Jimmy x Heiji
Why use one dub name but not both? Are you specifically shipping the American version of Shinichi with the original Heiji? I wonder if anyone has ever shipped that way.

Where the fuck are his ear pieces.

I should point out that I'm not German, but Romanian. The channel it aired on, RTL II, also made it's way here so anime where as much my childhood as Cartoon Network.
Also, it's been forever since I saw it(it was between 2000-2005, when I was 4-9, after which I suddenly stopped getting the channel, for some reason) so I can't remember much of it, but I recall it being pretty good from what I could pick out.

>WHen I think of shounen, I think of Conan.
>You can't debate it.
I think something was lost in the process of your post.

Attached: conan drinking.jpg (290x360, 24K)

We have a release date boys.

Attached: DCS.png (1294x722, 63K)

>Somehow being present for every single homicide occuring in Japan, with all of them being unsolvable without Conan's help
Wow, that sure is "good writing".

I remember times they'd call in Kogoro to cases, they still do that but they do still have a fair share of "walking down the street and some dude is hit with a brick but theres no bricks anywhere".

I'm not defending OP's point but in the beginning this was a humorous take on detective tropes and wasn't taking itself very seriously. Conan's gadgets are artifacts from that time.

>no asspulls
I like Conan but come on.

Well I shouldn't say artifacts, its still a show kids can watch and it does still do the gag stuff, but the goofy usage of some of the gadgets in the past clash with the serious usage of them when the black organization is involved.

Jimmy is better than Bobby Jackson which they had in latin america for awhile.

Attached: tfw.jpg (549x410, 42K)

I started watching Conan in German when I was like 8 and I don't think he sounded goofy to me back then, and it's been over 15 years and now and it got normalized in my mind. It IS fucking goofy though if you think about it.

Remember the episode in which the Japanese seiyuu of Conan plays herself and the characters point out that they sound the same? In the German dub, they still point out that they sound the same even though Conan sounds like an adult male trying to sound like a child and the lady sounds like a lady.

They are leaving the new OPs and EDs in Japanese, unfortunately.

Any word on if they're going to do the rest of the movies in German? Even after the main series ended they kept doing movies for a long time.
>In the German dub, they still point out that they sound the same even though Conan sounds like an adult male trying to sound like a child and the lady sounds like a lady.
That sucks, the American dub at least had the joke play out right. Alison's "trying to be mature" voice is cute. There's some version of Conan somewhere that dubbed it where as Conan the exact same VA as Shinichi plays him, and every time he uses the bowtie to speak in Shinichi's voice it makes no sense.

>They are leaving the new OPs and EDs in Japanese, unfortunately.
I know purists think that dubs are bad enough but the OPs and EDs should stay in their original form. I don't see the issue if they do it right, its a dub after all, why dub only some of what you're seeing/hearing? I don't speak German so I don't know if they do any "too literal" translations but I like how the German dub sounds for the first few OPs. They did the same thing with Case Closed when they got to Mawashite. I assume it'd have stayed that way with Truth and anything after. I kinda wanted to hear Mawashite in english.

Attached: one truth.jpg (1080x1080, 347K)

Takagi has even had sex with her. I'm proud of him.

Attached: takagi-sato.jpg (892x680, 77K)

>anyone who only watched the adult swim airings likely thought the series ended on Conan deciding to stay a kid and forgetting about the men in black because of the last line of the diplomat case

EPISODES WITH TRADITIONAL ANIMATION: GOOD
EPISODES WITH DIGITAL ANIMATION: NOT AS GOOD

EPISODES WITH THE OLD OST: GOOD
EPISODES WITH NU-OST: BAD

Try to debate this.

There aren't any bad eras of Conan.

Yeah. I was surprised Aoyama had the guts to even imply it, even if the dialog was awkward as hell(seriously, the dude's stuck in the 80s with the way his characters talk)

Though you can make the argument that the "edgy" era had better direction as a whole.

There wasn't much implying, in the manga he was scared he got her pregnant due to a misunderstanding. The "what was soft wasnt her bed" line wasn't the only thing they did with it. I think the anime cut out the explicit pregnancy thing, but yea I think it's great they did something like that. I'm not sure personally but others have said it's rare for a relationship in this kind of story to go that far the way it did.

>the dude's stuck in the 80s with the way his characters talk
I don't think I noticed.

>the "edgy" era
You mean edgy edgy like decapitations right? I miss the gruesome times.

Attached: takagi.jpg (551x413, 51K)

>Open the door, user. I know you're home.

Attached: Cute-detective-conan-12703479-400-300.jpg (400x300, 13K)

How many dubs utilized Shinichi's VA being Conan's thoughts? Always thought that was an incredibly good move on CC's part and one of few things that the dub improved on over the original, at least the idea's sake. The way they have to fit dialogue to the mouth flaps sometimes gives them a chance to make a line have more depth but usually its just the same thing but longer (why would he do that - why on earth would he do something like that).

Attached: conan kogoro.png (960x720, 1M)

If I invite him in I can give him snacks and drinks and watch him be cute, but if he's coming alone to my house he probably suspects me for a crime and I'll end up arrested. Or another casualty in a current case.

Attached: Detective-Conan-detective-conan-9670792-640-480.jpg (640x480, 32K)

Attached: MYSTERY.webm (640x480, 2.95M)

>he was scared he got her pregnant due to a misunderstanding
I haven't read the manga for more than a year, but I remember that plot point. I just forgot about it since it turned out to be a misunderstanding.

> I don't think I noticed.
Maybe 80s wasn't the right way to phrase it. It's just that there's an awkwardness to the way people talk that bothers me. The way police detectives/inspectors recap the mystery would be the most common one, but the whole dialog that alluded they had sex felt awkward and shoehorned in... actually, writing this I realized what bothers me: it's the way he brings up exposition. Characters always say more than necessary and it ends up awkward.

>You mean edgy edgy like decapitations right? I miss the gruesome times.

I mean mature stuff with blood or scary imagery, less than politically correct subjects like corporate corruption, villains with fucking evil thousand yard stares and zero redeemable factors, legit horror inducing pinches, death of multiple characters per episode, drug smuggling and shit. What I'm saying though is that I'm longing for the direction/pacing/storyboarding of those episodes, not their actual contents. I understand that nowadays you can't get away with being that edgy on Conan.

N-nobody's home!

Attached: 1544814255198.png (346x361, 95K)

Shinichi looks kinda like another character in anime but I don't know who

German dubs were actually quite good around the 2000s. As time passed, the dub quality. I started watching subbed anime before they started to dub Naruto - and later I got curious and took a look at the German Naruto dub airing on TV oh boy those were BAD. And I mean complete and utter SHIT, nah that'd actually be an insult to shit. They couldn't fucking pronounce Sasuke and they literally removed all blood and literally made people unable to die, by replacing those lines with "getting defeated/beaten" or at most "falling into eternal sleep". Holy shit, the way they handled the Uchiha massacre... you don't want to know, I am telling you. The entire fucking clan got "kidnapped", WTF.

Under these standards I am surprised that Conan even still airs on German TV at all, even if it's just re-airing stuff.

Oh right, there is that spin-off about "unknown culprit-kun".

>Always thought that was an incredibly good move on CC's part and one of few things that the dub improved on over the original, at least the idea's sake.

Nah. I'm glad my country also steered clear of that. Hearing Shinichi's voice on Conan sounds flatout wrong after the second episode, we get that Conan is not who he's supposed to be, but we also realize his character has a certain voice attached to it, and as such his thoughts have to use the same voice to keep your immersion from asking what the fuck is going on. The only excuse that could justify Shinichi's voice for internal monologues would be the actual Shinichi appearing as mind figment in the black void so we know it's his "adult self" talking and not Conan. This doesn't contradict any of the illusion shattering stuff I mentioned just now, in fact it keeps consistency.

>"men in black"

So Kuroda is Akai's father and Wakasa is Rum? Who is Wakita then? Yet another member of BO or a super secret police spy in BO? Or maybe Wakasa's not Rum but the bodyguard "Asaka" from 17 years ago. The message ASACA RUM wouldn't be about Asaka being Rum but "CARASUMA" and it was just a coincidence it could be interpreted both ways. That would mean that Gosho's lying about Rum being one of the three obvious suspects. Remember the cups of vinegar thing Agasa showed the Detective Boys? It went something like there being three cups and one of them didn't have vinegar in it and Agasa pretended to know which of the cups it was. In reality all cups had vinegar and he just drank one and pretended it wasn't vinegar. I think this was a hint that Gosho's going to cheat this time and have Rum be someone else than one of the confirmed suspects.
Also I think that pic related is Rum

Attached: chikara katsumata.jpg (600x400, 45K)

That chapter where Heiji, and Conan followed him around because he looked suspicious was funny.

more movie trailer youtube.com/watch?v=II1UzSoxl2U

very nice shitpost, if this series is more popular you could get more (You)

>kaito kid movie
I sleep

I'm serious though.
>Kuroda is Akai's father
>Wakita's BO-related but not Rum
>Wakasa is Asaka but Asaka isn't Rum and didn't kill Kohji Haneda
>Rum killed Haneda and framed Asaka
>a shogi related guy gets introduced immediately after the Rum reveal and is forgotten immediately afterwards

This kind of thing happens a lot when people grow up on the dub of a long-running series and switch to subs as they get older. Names get conflated, and some people reach for whichever name they think of first. I would say "Look at modern Pokémon anime discussion as an example" but I don't wish that suffering on anyone.

this should be in theory territory that I don't want to step in but
>I think this was a hint that Gosho's going to cheat this time and have Rum be someone else than one of the confirmed suspects
there's no way gosho will retract his statement that RUM is one of the three suspects.

Why?

Don't make this kind of OP for a Conan thread next time, you're just inviting shitposting.

>the most entertaining shounen MC in terms of personality & character
I love Shinichi but this goes to Joe Yabuki

Well, what if he's just lying?

Conan doesn't deserve this stuff.

Use sage then. I'm out until the next thread.

It's mostly a normal thread at this point

The OP will keep attracting new posters who just want to shit on Conan.

But I'm still waiting replies on my properly pondered posts.

What posts, those rum ones?

No, please don't embarrass me by trying to figure out which.

I don't get what you're being pissy for. That other user was right, this thread attracted too many fucks.

You're mean.

You're being mean to Conan by trying to keep this shitposting thread alive.

You oppose my goodwill on mere religious stances ignoring all the legitimate discussion inside this thought provoking thread.

then all his words wouldn't be credible anymore and all he said for 20 years will be discarded

>the way he brings up exposition
Yea after commercial breaks they do some that sometimes sounds off. Especially Kogoro's lines.

You seem to forget the FBI and CIA

bump

Just make a new thread.

Alternatively give it awhile. We've had a Conan thread for awhile now and I think yesterday was the first day in some time to go without one. I hate seeing a thread die for DC, but it usually happens when I go to bed anyway. I think its in the best interest of these threads' quality (not this one in particular, its different) that time is given before we burn out. Not once a week but not one every day. I wanted to make a thread today but held back, and then this one ended up happening anyway.

OP you can have all the shounen argument threads you want but don't bring Conan into it. It just ruins the peace. It's partly why I prefer the entire board doesn't go nuts for the show, or else you end up with worse shit than this every thread.

Attached: 1455817478040.jpg (1452x1080, 271K)

>OP you can have all the shounen argument threads you want but don't bring Conan into it. It just ruins the peace.
I agree with this. I really hope not to see people attracting needless arguments and negativity when the threads have been so relaxed and fun lately. It only takes one dedicated shitposter to ruin a series' threads. I've seen it happen so many times on Yea Forums to series I like.

I made Conan threads here decades ago trying to stir up discussion with interesting OPs but it would almost always hit page 10 with rare contributions because people just didn't give a fuck back then. Now that it's popular again because Funimation revived it in the US or some shit you feel entitled to have "comfy" OPs even though OP only posed a rethorical statement looking for interesting arguments debating the nature of the character or series as a whole to spark discussion and it's enough to bother your titties. Conan threads are not a fucking tested science, you just need to discuss characters, cases, good moments, soundtracks, animation, best girls, whatever shit you like, the OP is only the hook for discussion which barely attracted shitposters, in fact the only guys with off topic shitposts are the nigs who were crying about "MUH SHONUN" (you) completely ignoring any good intentions OP might have had to start DC discussion with a broader spectrum of analysis.

If you want a more civil Conan thread, just showed up

I would only invite him if he brings his friends.

Attached: 1398636-1920x1080-[DesktopNexus.com].jpg (1920x1080, 420K)

Objectively correct.

>it's popular again because Funimation revived it in the US or some shit
What. Funimation washed their hands of this series years ago, there's no new promotion for it.

>I made Conan threads here decades ago trying to stir up discussion with interesting OPs but it would almost always hit page 10 with rare contributions because people just didn't give a fuck back then.
That's still true, it just depends whether or not the few regulars drop in now. There's no pattern as to why a DC thread takes off and another doesn't, not even the timing of it. It just depends, its a game of chance if people feel like talking about it that day or find the thread. The funi talk in these threads are just one of many topics and most on Yea Forums actively despise dub talk. The only fucking reason Case Closed / why did it fail in America threads take off is because of the insistent love for shitting on america and getting a chance to type burgers on this board.

>OP only posed a rethorical statement looking for interesting arguments debating the nature of the character or series as a whole to spark discussion
We've had actual threads that do that, this was essentially baiting people from other fandoms to get in here and bicker.

>you just need to discuss characters, cases, good moments, soundtracks, animation, best girls, whatever shit you like
That's what the "comfy threads" are. By comfy it means ones that arent fighting about the series being awful or cliched or poorly written or other things.

>the nigs who were crying about "MUH SHONUN" (you)
...That's literally what the OP is, not the posts you responded to.

This wasn't a broader spectrum of analysis, it was a thread debunking the normal shounen tropes and that Conan doesn't do them. This is the easiest way for arguments to start.

If you or the OP had any good intentions it hardly came through. I agree the shitposts didnt pick up but dont tempt it as if this is the acceptable direction Conan or any threads need to go in.

Attached: 1chief.gif (300x300, 835K)

Attached: original.gif (500x375, 1019K)

Attached: original.gif (500x369, 1022K)

This, the most recent thing was in 2010 I think and they even lost the rights last year. Most of the funi footwork happened before a decade ago in 2004 (this was 15 years ago)

Conan get out you're gonna get poisoned.

Attached: 42ad1e04c78d09bd156d5386de0b09c9.gif (303x267, 569K)

I can't decide if I want to salvage this thread or give up on a Conan thread for the first time. We already have another up and I don't think having 2 concurrent ones is wise. Especially since both are in the early stages.

I guess I can just view this as an in-general thread rather than specific for Conan.

Attached: Detective-Conan---345.png (640x480, 210K)