Is Anime finally coming to an end?

Anime BD sales down 22․1%
DVD sales down 34․8%

The Japan Video Software Association (JVA) released on Wednesday its 12-month statistical report on home video sales in Japan from January to December 2018.

The report stated that domestic anime DVD and Blu-ray Disc sales for general audiences, excluding rental releases, amounted to 32.557 billion yen (about US$292.2 million), a 24.2% decrease from 2017's 42.931 billion yen. (This category includes anime aimed at teenagers or older viewers, and excludes overseas animation and animation aimed at children.)

Of these sales, Blu-ray Disc sales were down 21.1%, and DVD sales were down 34.8%. Blu-ray Disc sales made up 80.7% of the sales, and DVD sales made up 19.3% of the sales. General audience anime sales made up 22.9% of the overall home video sales market.

Domestic children's anime home video sales fell 28.6% from 2017 to 1.436 billion yen (about US$12.8 million). These sales represented 1% of the overall market.

Domestic anime DVD and Blu-ray Disc rentals for general audiences fell 16.5% in 2018 to 5.675 billion yen (about US$50.9 million), and domestic children's anime home video rentals fell 19.3% to 1.437 billion yen (about US$12.9 million).

Overall, the home video market was down 5.1% to 178.084 billion yen (about US$1.598 billion) compared to 2017. DVD sales were down 7.3%, and Blu-ray Disc sales were down 2.7%. DVD sales made up 51.8% of the market, and Blu-ray Disc sales made up 48.2% of the market.

Domestic anime DVD and Blu-ray Disc sales for general audiences, excluding rental releases, in 2017 saw a 2.6% increase from 2016, bolstered by sales of hits such as your name. and In This Corner of the World. The 2016 market saw a 15.8% decrease from 2015.

Attached: 1545263276581.jpg (372x268, 15K)

No

It might or it might not. No one on Yea Forums is involved in the industry enough to predict with any reasonable degree of accuracy.

Dumb normal girl poster.

>Japan has no money
>"Why aren't people buying things!?"

Physical sales are dying everywhere.

>terrible shows
>decrease in sales
Sounds like the market is working

Yeah it's had a good run between 2015-17... but I was wondering how this was being funded.

Are you retarded? They're going to switch to other forms of monetization. Why did you post this awful shit again?

2018 was ok, but it was nothing like 2016/17 which was the best period since 2007.

Adapt or die. Someone will find a way to make money and that will be a new sustainable business model as physical media dies out. BDs are less profitable than merch anyway.

The problem is that streaming services have cancerous content restrictions.

You think Japan cant make their own services?

They can make their own netflix with mahjong and geishas and make whatever content policies they like.

It's merely the beginning of the streaming service era.

Digital is way up.

Great! Loving all these tears from baka gaijin pirates
>Implying that you buy one

Yeah, because physical sales represent the success of the medium. You're an idiot. Stream licenses more than make up losses.

I hope so. I just want to see you faggots lose the last thing left you have to live for.

Attached: Bernkastel-Framed.png (235x332, 146K)

I wonder if this means either:

-Discs become more premium in price due to less buyers

-Discs become cheaper because most of the money is already being made in streaming anyway

>Stream licenses more than make up losses
Source?

Adapt or die
Japs need to change their business model from physical to digital but considering they need meetings to schedule the next meeting I can see the whole thing dying and western companies taking over

You dumbasses already have a thread for this.

clearly we need more

get woke go broke

>thread still up

Screaming Noire is ALWAYS relevant.

Attached: F85CCDA1-2979-423F-8015-46750F00C238.gif (640x360, 2.93M)

/thread

It's over. Sounds like we're never getting Charlotte S2 now.

Streaming is going up though.

is that even supposed to be a positive thing? Might as well do pic related while your at it

Attached: 1500876021380.png (100x100, 10K)

The have local streaming services like d anime store

It means everyone will soon licking Netflx's ass for their big bucks. RIP traditional Japanese animation.

Well maybe if anime wasn't the same copy pasta shit every 3-4 months. Even middle-aged nips that are generally the core demographics of anime are now moving to western shit like Marvel, GoT, and Walking Dead over local anime.

>Implying becoming less-profitable won't make mangaka focus more on making better stories and maybe paying attention to continuity within their series for once

Streaming is taking over and is making even more money you retarded faggot

>physical sales are down
no way, who could have predicted this to happen in a first world country with easy access to the internet

How are the merchandise, source material and mobile gacha tie-in sales though?

Anime has always been just a long-length commercial for other stuff.

Just the streaming starting to replace the Blu-Ray and DVDS.

Major concern in regard to streaming is the censored garbage over the theoretical uncensored BD, I can't imagine viewing that willingly even if its just a blocked nipple, the principle of it demands the obnoxious beams of light and strategic steam be removed.
Or are the streams uncensored? I have no idea.

On Hi-dive, I think there are some versions of some uncensored anime there.

One might hope.
Anime was a mistake

One thing is for sure. Something has to change. The industry as it is today isn't sustainable.

It's going to be interesting to see what genre comes out on top in the near future.

The problem is that what we nowadays get on streaming services are sanitized TV versions, because anime is first and foremost TV anime.
And they're also rife with QUALITY because said TV anime has to be produced in extremely short time.
Net anime would in theory allow the studios to produce it with enough time, thus getting rid of QUALITY, and uncensored, because it's not using mass media, thus there's no theoretical case of a young kid accidentally seeing nipples and becoming ultratraumatized like Rod and Todd from the Simpsons.

>RIP traditional Japanese animation
>implying it hasn't been garbage for nearly 10 years now

>RIP traditional Japanese animation
>implying it hasn't been garbage for nearly 20 years now
FTFY

Okay, so, what about streaming revenue? Last time you dicks posted this the actual report states that they were making more money elsewhere that eventually meant they were making more money.

Explain what you mean. Netflix for instance is was less strict than typucal Japanese Broadcasting rules. Devilman crybaby was made for Netflix for that reason

user the end of anime would be good for me, I have 50 shows on my backlog at least, and I wont finish them before I die even if I started now

If this means the industry will go back to being a number of passion projects instead of pandering to otaku then I am glad sales are down. Turning the Japanese anime industry into Hollywood and wishing for the same popularity as western media has to be the dumbest thing people want in this fandom. The niche repetitive otaku garbage isnt good either but the only reason they exist is because they sell, if people stopped giving then attention, shows of quality like old OVAs and long running series that need to be actually good to get attention would come back, instead of producers making shit for a quick buck. Fuck otaku and fuck 'ironic weebs" they ruin everything.

>implying it hasn't always been shit
FTFTFY

Nobody cares about physical supports anymore, we are in the age of quality streaming and you pay for subscription to a streaming service, not for individual shows, much less for shitty discs that only contain a few episodes in each one.

Go fuck yorself Bern.

maybe the physical releases shouldn't be so hideously overpriced so the otakus would be able to buy more

>If this means the industry will go back to being a number of passion projects instead of pandering to otaku then I am glad sales are down.

nope what you're going to get is pandering to the west which means even worst plot, woke shit and bad CGI

Please...no...its not supposed to be like that...

Attached: gurren_lagann_crying_by_daerlon.jpg (960x540, 269K)

I don't know anyone who as a DVD player or a PC that still has the disc thingy. I only know people who have Bluray players because they use those to play Bloodborne.

just go look at netflix's latest line up

Pandering to otaku is what made those passion projects in the first place.

Private productions made by the companies are not bad, but paying for exclusive streaming rights for an independent show is anti-consumer.

If I want to see all of the best shows legally I have to own like 3 different anime subscriptions or I could just pirate them all.

I do not like pirating, I think it is immoral and parasitic on the anime industry but it is a symptom of bad paid stream services. Hell I technically Pirate classic wow with the Lights Hope server but that is only because I can not pay to play Classic wow from blizz, the second classic wow servers come out I won't pirate the game again and will play it while paying them because to me that is the moral way to do it and financially supports the creators so they can make more things .

I haven’t renewed my subscription in half a year. What sort of new anime shit are they producing? Last I checked it was Devilman reboot or something

have you seen any of the "western pandering" Netflix anime? they are all shit with the exception of Devilman.

Nothing really worth it for people who like anime. I still have my subscription, I look at it from time to time but it's only stuff that doesn't interest me, and never has the movies I want to watch. I keep it because my mom uses it.
I'd also say any streaming service is not worth it outside of america. When I was in europe and checked netflix there and the selection is much, much smaller. I'm not sure if you can use a VPN for those, tho.

I bet you think otaku means anybody who only consumes moe slice of life anime. Newsflash, those old passion projects were made by otaku for a niche too.

>Well maybe if anime wasn't the same copy pasta shit every 3-4 months
>Marvel, GoT, and Walking Dead
So they move on to its western equivalent of same shit is what you're saying?

>number of passion projects instead of pandering to otaku
you mean the same passion projects made by otaku themselves?

Somethings never change do they. I just want more shows that aren't made for the sole reason of making money is what i wanted to say. Like gridman last year and maybe even mob psycho 100. the latter maybe an adaptation meant to generate hype for the franchise, but the quality shows care and passion from the creators.

WHO THE FUCK BUY PSYSICAL COPIES IF ANIME?

They take too much room in my tiny appartment, they are too fucking expensive, even for a shitty 12-episode show, and are proof that you're a disappointment to your parents. I guess it's just me, but if my family or friends find out that I consume and waste money on chinese cartoons intended for children and teenagers