Is it that bad?

Is it that bad?

Attached: Gedo6sn.jpg (265x375, 26K)

I didn't enjoy it, though this was while I was when I was binge watching all of the Studio Ghibli stuff so there was a lot to live up to.

It's meh.

Yes
Maybe I have some bias since I really enjoy the first Earthsea books and this completely mangles them, but I try to look at it objectively and it's still an incoherent mess of a dumpster fire. Not just compared to other Ghibli films, of which it is by far the worst, but on its own too.

it's so bad that I've tried watching it twice and stopped halfway through. Some how I sat through the garbage that was from up on poppy hill though

>"So yeah, my father was a nice guy and I had a great life but I killed him anyways, idk why I just felt like it lmao"

Attached: 1507226247718.jpg (665x574, 27K)

It is worse. By far one of the weakest fantasy stories ever told. The storytelling wants to be dramatic, but just fails terribly.

Let's just say it's very clear that Goro tried to emulate his father and failed. Ghibli movies are usually fairly liberal in their use of the source material, but this one just butchers the Earthsea novels with nothing to show for it.
Just for an experiment, try watching this immediately after watching Howl's Moving Castle. They're similar movies in that they take material from a series of books as opposed to just one novel, and the plot is arguably the weakest point in both movies, but everything else in Howl is handled incredibly well compared to Tales from Earthsea.

Poppy is positively a classic when compared to Earthsea. I don't know how Goro pulled through there.

I don't care what anybody says but Howl's also pretty terrible as far as Ghibli's concerned, there's this vague war that the dude just jumps out the window to go kill some planes or whatever for a while and then at the end the queen's all like, alright let's stop this stupid war now I guess, like that was fucking it? The fuck was the point of murdering all those civilians then? Sure it's better than Earthsea but that's not much of an accomplishment now is it?

For what it's worth it's Miyazaki's worst, but the guy has always had a keen eye for direction as a whole, so Howl still manages to work despite its narrative shortcomings.
If a film doesn't have a good overall structure in its narrative it can still be an enjoyable watch if individual scenes are good.

Earthsea is in its own league of shit but Howl is bad too, by far Miyazaki worst (and possibly his only bad) movie.
Makes you wonder how things would have turned how if Hosoda was allowed to finish it.

That's the thing, the general plot is terrible in both movies, but the music, the animation, and virtually everything else in Howl is on par with other Ghibli movies. There was genuine passion put into it, and Miyazaki's style oozes from every frame of the movie.
Earthsea, on the other hand, has a terrible plot, forgettable soundtrack, mediocre animation, etc. It's as if Goro tried to make a typical Ghibli movie without understanding his father's vision, and without a vision of his own, so the end result is an awkward mess.

bland & forgettable

Howl is one of those "plotfags will never understand" movies.

Yeah. It's the only Ghibli movie that I can call garbage

I'm willing to bet 500 bucks Angel's Egg is one of your favorite movies too

Howl is a great movie you retards

I like it a lot, at least

It's Goro self inserting as the protag

I haven't watched Earthsea yet but Howl is shit.

Howl would be significantly better if it didn't attempt to have a plot.

It was mindnumbingly bland but there was a scene I really liked where the wizard (of undefined gender) confronts the mc in a swamp. I thought it was kinda powerful especially when the viewer doesn´t understand the wizard´s motives yet.

I don't like it.

I loved it.

It's a terrible mess of like the third and fourth books mostly, skips anything interesting, and the fourth book is the worst one.

The ONLY reason to watch it is for the English Dub because Willem Dafoe and Cheech Marin are the bad guys.

>Willem Dafoe
based