Manaria

What the hell kind of princess is this?!

Attached: 1.jpg (1277x718, 93K)

Anne is literally my prince

Will they ever tone down the gay? It seems to be ramping up every episode. I mean when I first saw this pic I thought they were acting. Turns out she actually said it in context.

>Will they ever tone down the gay?

Attached: said.png (267x200, 18K)

The sub for this line was exaggerated.

A lot of lines are in this show.
The translator is having a field day with this show.

Bless him or her.

I figured liberties were taken. What was actually said?

"You look like a fine piece of ass."

Best Princess Ever!

You look like a painting, which is essentially the exact same thing. It's the usual retards whining about non literal translations when the interpretation essentially means the exact same and its left to the translators discretion to decide which one they wanna use.

I'm going with this one cos I like it

It's just waifufags trying to cope

I don't understand why they went with that though. It's not only less literally accurate, but longer and less idiomatic. "Work of art" would at least not sound bad, but there's no reason to no use "painting".

Work of art is vague. Painting quite literally spells it out for the audience. It requires less mental effort on viewer's end. What else but its looks would you compliment a painting on? Its smell? People are blowing things out of proportion (again) and have no idea what the work of a translator actually looks like. Translators even take liberties translating legal documents, so why should discourse be any different? These people probably get paid cents on the dollar and the leeching basement dwellers who pirate their anime throw a hissyfit over a translation that isn't even wrong per se, but merely not how they would put it. Literal cancer if you ask me. Literal show about two homosexuals and people whine over a line like this, despite it being perfectly serviceable giving the gay aura this show sports. Unreal.

Attached: 1542337940180.jpg (692x692, 97K)

>unironically defending changing lines because of the audience

>changing lines
>while translating a language that is literally left to interpretation 99.9% of the time
Not sure if you're trying to look like a moron, but if so then you've certainly accomplished your goal.

>Painting quite literally spells it out for the audience
Exactly like the original line then?
I don't object to any and all changes, but this one serves no apparent purpose and the result is clumsy English. "Work of art" is more natural than "piece of art", and the adjective "fine" serves no purpose here, isn't in the original, and works against the brevity that subtitling favours. It's not wrong, but it's poor.

>translators even take liberties translating legal documents
Only if they are suicidal or if the legal term has no direct counterpart in the target language.

That's not how sentence structure works, retard. You can't even translate English into German/French or vice versa without making copious amounts of adjustments for the sentence to even work. And those are languages that share a fair amount of similarities. Japanese on the other hand is completely backwards.

Not that user, but I think there's a difference between adjusting grammar and vocabulary for the text to actually make sense in the target language and avoid sounding like fucking google translate, and taking liberties. Taking liberties is making changes that aren't necessary.

I will just say that "taking liberties" with, for example, a contract worth fuckload of money is a quick way into causing harm to the parties, for which you will be held liable. And rightly so. The rest was explained to you here , retard. In the context of this show it doesn't matter much. It's just a dumb story about an archdyke and her dragon girlfriend, after all.

You're too retarded to understand the purpose of language. It doesn't matter how you phrase the sentence as long as it means virtually the same. What you consider "taking liberties" is quite literally a requirement to make a serviceable translation.