In the late 80s and early 90s being an devout anime fan consisted mainly on pirated VHS tapes and a very narrow...

In the late 80s and early 90s being an devout anime fan consisted mainly on pirated VHS tapes and a very narrow selection for those outside Japan. There was some truly bizarre OVAs that were made.

Late 90s and early 00s is where a split started to happen. You had casual fans who watched action shows on toonami. Then you had the more devout who scoured the internet for torrents and IRC chat rooms for xddc file transfers. Fan sub groups were then gate keepers here.

There was a larger selection but being an anime fan meant you had watched everything that was considered good. There were must seems and classics you had to watch.

Now to the modern era there is a broad spectrum of anime and people are now able to watch almost every show the same day it airs through official channels. You dint need bootleg tapes or torrents to be a huge fan.

I feel like something was lost in this new era. There arent what I would be considered new must see classics. Just okay to good shows that are fun to watch at the time. 2011 is the last year I remeber people discussing a must see show. It was a transition period.

Where are the new must watch classics in the last 10 years?

Maybe I'm just an old man now...

Attached: AQkSnHP_d.jpg (640x798, 78K)

Mob Psycho 100
Lupin III part V
Mary and the Witch's Flower

There's been some cool shit

Holy fuck, do you need any more spaces gramps?

>Fan sub groups were then gate keepers
And thank fuck those faggots are gone and almost everything gets a (usually mediocre) translation.
>I feel like something was lost in this new era
Inconvenience.
2017 had several fantastic shows. 2018 not so much. But there never were that many. There's maybe a dozen from the whole of the 90s. Plenty of others are "fun to watch".

>and almost everything gets a (usually mediocre) translation.
I'd rather have fansubbers back instead of simulcast meme subtitles adjusted for american PC culture.

I think the only thing that has been lost is that the extremely nich anime that the official channels aren't interested in supporting, as well as even the most popular anime movies and BD release specials are not getting subbed or when they do get subbed the subtitles are of absolutely awful quality.

anime is just more accessible now. the shit and the good are now all translated and streaming. if this was like the old days then maybe only 4 or 5 shows in an entire season would be fansubbed. before only your spice and wolfs, death notes, and elfen leids got a sub. now that everything does it's just harder to find the gems. if made in abyss was released in 2004 it would have been considered a must watch. people still think it's a great series but with how much choice there is it's easy for a show to get passed up. if someone only likes slice of life comedies they have enough shows coming out to only watch those and not branch out. the days of must watch classics are over because we have more than 4 shows to pick from in a season. there are enough shows out to be able to be fans of just subgenres of an anime. 25 years ago that would be almost unheard of. you had so little choice in what to watch being an anime fan meant you watched all the anime. now that we can watch 40+ different shows every season there is enough there to actually pick and choose genres of anime to watch. to me that's great even if it's harder to find those couple of shows each year that really are standouts.

There's more quantity and less quality these days. Every MC is p much the same and we get 20 anime but they're mostly the same regarding the plot.
I do miss those OVA like DNA2, Video Girl AI and Bastard!!

Kek, when the fuck did that ever happen? Are you confusing it with Funimation's rogue dub scriptwriter?
>meme subtitles
Fansubbers are the only ones who do that. If officialsubs have problems, it's just being plain bad.

well I would say the number of great shows each year are about the same. we get a handful a year that are amazing. i would say that is pretty consistant with the past. i would say except for the golden years of the second half of the 00s with code geass and the like. that was a special time and i am actually glad i was here to watch it with Yea Forums during that time. but go back before to the early 00s and late 90s and we are back to a handful of shows a year that were excellent. it all goes back to volume. if 30 shows got subs in a given year and 3 or 4 were great they stood out and they were easy to see. now if 3 or 4 shows are great and 250+ shows get subs in a year, well it's a lot easier to overlook a great show. that's not even counting movies and specials. the total volume of anime produced is increasing yes, but we are also seeing almost all if it. before a shit ton of shows got made but were just dropped or not picked up at all.

Anyone has that screenshot of some guy complaining about anime nowadays being shit, unlike the good old days, with the post date being in the early 90s?

Is it wrong that I want another meme sub in the spirit of GUP Extra Aryan subs?

Because now we have "healing" and "comfy" anime

You only feel this way because you grew up in the time you're talking about. If you actually talk to people that grew up/are growing up in the late 00s or early 10s you'll see that they're just as excited about the same level of mediocre shit that you were when you were a kid.

Better than fansubs that make every character swear like a sailor and leaving tons of terms untranslated because they're considered holy words.

"nakama"

>5 sentance explanation at the top of the screen explaining why it is deeper than friends with no english translation so they decided to leave it untranslated

I don't really get why you're stressing to this extent. Just like we all did back then, do it again. Follow creators who make classics. Sure we've lost a few like Mamoru Oshii, who is no longer directing, or the genius Satoshi Kon, who passed, but there's still serious talent in solid studios making gold. Yamada Naoko is making good drama, and totally reinvented herself with Liz and the Blue Bird recently. Imaishi x Nakashima is finally back in action this year with Promare. Speaking of self-reinvention and evolution, Mamoru Hosoda's Mirai no Mirai was his version of Mind Game, which one-uped even Summer Wars' direction. And talking about Mind Game, Yuasa has grown as a director SO MUCH in the last eight to nine years and is now at the head of his own studio cranking out the most unique films I've seen in decades, which is already on top of Devilman fucking Crybaby, which (while inconsistent) totally broke the boundaries of anything I've seen put to animation since the late 80s gorehound OVAs. Shinbou's still carrying Shaft on his back, Sawano is still producing the most heart pumping beats ever composed, Watanabe is finally coming back to screen next season, Kenji Kamiyama has gone totally off the rails and is single handedly roping Production I.G. into revolutionizing the 3DCG landscape with a modern Ultraman adaptation and loved doing it so much that he pushed to bring back fucking Stand Alone Complex, and that's all while Production I.G. still churns out ambitious high budget original productions like B The Beginning which allowed Kazuto Nakazawa to show he's still got it as well. I could go on and on and on but you get the point.

I repeat, follow creators who make classics, and even if the hoards of kids eating up Bones shows make up 80% of the community, there will always be us old assholes on Yea Forums who know the good shit when we see it.

Attached: animeisgood.jpg (1280x720, 510K)

>2011 is the last year I remeber people discussing a must see show
I don't get it, there are threads about old and potential new classics at least once a week. There was a trigun thread only yesterday.

Star Blazers 2199.
2202 is fine if you enjoy telenovela, or have plenty of tequila at hand.

Attached: okita.jpg (1920x1080, 198K)

Yep the good ol' days

Attached: 1525388794348.png (380x349, 77K)

made in abyss is new classic

for those without reading comprehension OP means they last time they remember people saying that a newly released show is a must see classic is 2011. which I'm guessing is madoka magika. there have been plenty of classics since then, but the same classics still get mentioned. FMA, steins gate, death note, cowboy bebop, evangelion, etc. the same old shit gets recommended that has been recommended for well over 10 years. but some new shows are finally making their way in like attack on titan and one punch man. but the go to classic recommendation list stayed the same for a long time. good shows still get made but old school weebs keep recommending 15 year old anime to new watchers. I recommend gembutts and made in abyss and a few others to new watchers. oldfags just need to get with the times and realize new shit has been released since black lagoon. peoples top 10 lists of all time are still filled with old ass shows so it seems like time hasn't moved on when it has. just let them stay in their 2006 heyday.

Kinda wish I'd used those cancerous forums and IRC's instead of this place, back before those got replaced by social media and reddit.

I did and while you get some fun memories you also get a massive cringe attack if you look at your old posts and sometimes wish you hadn't forgotten your password and now can only hope the site goes down just so your personal hall of shame finally disappears from the public.

>posts about "good old days" of anime
>posts trigun
grampsanon.. I...

Attached: 1549633368880.gif (342x350, 255K)

Is this a rec thread? This feels like a rec thread. Watch all of Yuasa‘s works.