According to Netflix, Castlevania is an "anime"

>according to Netflix, Castlevania is an "anime"
>shows like RWBY and Voltron also try to profit of off this label
Why do they keep trying to push this? Why does Hollywood need to stick its fucking fingers into everything?

Attached: cartoon.jpg (1400x788, 299K)

Other urls found in this thread:

deviantart.com/leseanthomas
spencerwan.tumblr.com/
youtu.be/WWccr1r-H0E
youtube.com/watch?v=d2FGgYp6mdk
youtube.com/watch?v=yy_FWdbnvM0
youtube.com/watch?v=4MFMaTycib4
youtube.com/watch?v=WWccr1r-H0E
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplified_Chinese_characters
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>buncha degenerate rich people sticking their fingers into anything they think is a hole
That's our Hollywood!

Castlevania is a Japanese IP, though. That's gotta be at least half-anime. And Voltron is a like a quarter-anime.

Yeah, but it's made for an American audience by American people.

The term "anime" sucks ass, since it means something different to everybody.
I don't even know what I should call anime, is Inferno Cop anime? What about Netflix anime then?
I just stopped using the term, because it's way too damn complicated. So whenever I'm talking with somebody, I'll just call them cartoons, since I know what they are at least.

Attached: 1490160364566.jpg (300x544, 22K)

The classic definition is "animation of a Japanese origin." Inferno Cop is animated by Japanese people. Netflix "anime" isn't anime unless if you're talking about the shows they buy and then slap "Netflix Original" on.

>Now, let’s try answering the anime question again!
Sam Deats (creative director):
Sorry! [laughter] Anyway, anime. There’s always the debate about whether a studio in the US that’s anime-influenced is, in itself, anime. And I’ll let other people decide. But the artists and animators here, obviously being heavily influenced by anime, it was easy for us to inject that look and feel into the show.

The guys over at MOI film, many of them work on anime. One of the animation directors there worked on the Berserk films and I think he’s worked on tons of anime projects. We got some guys for season two that worked on Death Parade and with Madhouse a lot. So, at the very least, we’re working with artists who directly work on anime.

Brad Graeber (co-founder of Powerhouse Animation that stands behind Castlevania series):
It’s tricky because people classify it by geography or style. That’s up to the person. But people need to get used to it. My generation was heavily influenced by Looney Tunes, the Disney films, that kind of thing. The talent that’s coming in now is influenced by anime. And there are amazing American artists—LeSean Thomas, Spencer Wan—all these people whose style would usually be categorized as anime, but they’re brilliant animation directors. And so it feels like you can’t lock it down...

>LeSean Thomas, Spencer Wan—all these people whose style would usually be categorized as anime
by fucking WHO?

Anime isn't even a fucking style. Something like JoJo doesn't resemble Panty and Stocking in the least.

there is a certain segment of people who refuse to watch cartoons, but will watch anime

I'd say it's "animation done by Japanese companies for the Japanese audience". Stops people from trying to pass thunder cats off as anime.

anime is cartoons

But wouldn't most of those people be savvy enough to know that it's just a bunch of Californians attempting to pass their work off as "anime"?

so animatrix is not anime?

It makes money
If they could replace all Japanese media with westernshit, they would. If that isn't the end goal already.

Reminder that "anime" is a contraction of "animeshon" which is the mispronounced version of the English word "animation".

You're arguing whether those titles should or should not be grouped by/under an English word.

do you know how many retards consider avatar anime, even tho it looks like shit?

I guess people would identify 'anime style' as big eyes and colourful hair with exaggerated reactions and gestures. Like I've always seen them do.

Looking at the credits of Animatrix, it's a collaboration project between Japanese and non-Japanese people so it's hard to tell

This is a fallacious argument, because then the word "anime" wouldn't exist at all.

>by fucking WHO?
See yourself.
deviantart.com/leseanthomas
spencerwan.tumblr.com/

It doesn't even have 'typical' anime style in a sense western artists imagines it. Their facial features are clearly western style animation.

Anime is animation done by nips, nothing more, nothing less. And Castlevania was drawn by koreans.

>Spencer Wan
HMM!

Attached: tumblr_pc6gh6tG8W1r843z4o1_540.gif (540x303, 2.9M)

>mispronounced
loanwords aren't mispronounced retarded redditor, use your brain

When categorizing things Netflix heavily weights consumption, not just the intrinsic properties of the media. So while Castlevania lacks some of the intrinsic qualities of anime (namely being Japanese production), it is still animation, still done in a style that looks like anime, and here's the tipping point: likely to be consumed by the same kind of Netflix users who watch anime on their platform.

Hence they put it in anime, to better reach that target audience.

For purists like people on Yea Forums, this is tantamount to sacrilege, but sadly the time when Yea Forums could play gate keeper on matters like this is long past and was likely only due to the massive indifference to anime in the west until fairly recently. The mainstream popularity of anime has exploded over the last decade but had been gaining steadily since the late 90s. I think what really accelerated things was, more than TV blocks like Toonami, the widespread adoption of streaming platforms by the general public, because this MASSIVELY lowered the barrier to entry into anime as a whole, not just the incredibly narrow selection of shows that blocks like Toonami showed its audiences.

Suddenly anime in niche genres and with subtitles were not just for obscure internet communities who had the time and know-how to track them down, pretty much anybody could get access to those same shows.

But there remains a huge gulf in the knowledge and appreciation between those people who've been into anime for a long time and those who only got into it because it was easy and cheap thanks to Netflix and others treaming platforms.

I appreciate what Yea Forums is trying to do, to keep the spirit of old anime fandom alive, but it's a losing battle unless the tide of globalization turns around for anime, and that doesn't seem to be happening.

transformers and thundercats are anime then

Yes, they are. And Moomin is anime too.

Not "done by", but "directed by". Or else the Simpsons counts as Korean animation.

>I appreciate what Yea Forums is trying to do, to keep the spirit of old anime fandom alive, but it's a losing battle unless the tide of globalization turns around for anime, and that doesn't seem to be happening.
this really gets my fucking goat, and what really pisses me off is that people keep eating it up

>Thundercats
By animation yes.

Directed AND drawn by nips.

Yes.

Is Bionic Six anime since the animation staff is mainly Japanese?

I don't think it's super important. If anything, american cartoons are doing their own country a disservice when they label themselves as anime.
It's kinda funny if you look at it that way. We like anime because it's high quality. America makes a high quality cartoon and people think it's Japanese. Well done america, well done. LMAO

Attached: laughing crocodiles.jpg (455x395, 45K)

>people
"people"

casuls, netflix consumers
a lot of them think the castlevania show is japanese, as a result it is no longer an american achievement

I don't really make any claims as to whether "western anime" like Castlevania is good entertainment or not, it might be, I haven't watched it, but how good it is is almost beside the point of how it's categorized and accepted by the general public. The concept of what anime is, and who is "into anime" has changed so much in the last 10 years as to be nearly unrecognizable.

I don't even bother trying to correct my coworkers who talk about "weebs" and "waifus" because at this point, there are more people like them who watch anime than there are people like me. There are still isolated niches within anime fandom that belong to people like me, that will probably always belong to us, but before we were sheltered deep within the seemingly impenetrable buffer of foreign media and niche subculture, and now we are next door neighbors with social media using normalfags.

Anime is going to change a lot in the next decade. It might not even exist as we know it now.

>People who don't know what a word means keep using it incorrectly.
The same thing happens on Yea Forums all the time.

Attached: meguspin.gif (256x256, 592K)

It sucks that we live in a world where niche subcultures are constantly eradicated.

>Anime is going to change a lot in the next decade. It might not even exist as we know it now.
it hardly does.

>We like anime because it's high quality
I haven't thought this since I was a teenager and still a hardcore weeaboo. I like anime for its aesthetic, its ability to be super specific and niche-driven, this is what gives it such a stunning variety of content compared to content produced by pretty much any other country. It's not that anime is a "pure auteur" movement immune to the influence of trends and fads, far from it, it's more that the barrier to entry is so low to enter into the industry that you get a much broader perspective on any given trend than would be possible if it were dominated by a few cliques, like in America or most of the west, to say nothing of China.

Something just occurred to me, a flipside of the rest of the world cashing in on this anime stuff. The more the rest of the world starts to produce anime, the more they will try to tweak it to appeal especially to their own people. This will cause a re-splintering of animation with every country having its own preferred styles, but now with anime being the baseline for it.

The result of this? Japanese animation is now once again niche, as American media companies will prefer to make their own "anime" rather than import it from Japan or elsewhere, so we will come full circle back to Japanese animation being obscure in the west, even if the styles now look similar.

>castlevania is an anime
i can get by that
>LGBTron and RUBI
fuck no

no japanese dub + not japanese IP = not anime. why so difficult? and no, "voltron" isn't Golion.

NOOOOOOO
Castelvania doesn't fit into my subjective standard for what is an anime so it's not anime!
Fucking westerners!!!
AAAAAAHHHHHH

Attached: dfs.png (380x423, 116K)

This won't happen.

What will happen is Japanese corporations will realize they make more money pandering to the West (like Trigger already has) and the niche will be completely eradicated.

>hollywood
there's your answer
it's literally a bunch of old niggas in suits trying to """"appeal to the younger audience""""

>hey, this person is bringing up the fact that a niche subculture is being slowly more and more appropriated by westerners in order to make money off of it and have it made by the same people who make every other piece of media
>I know, let me transparently falseflag and pretend I'm making a point

>that a niche subculture is being slowly more and more appropriated by westerners
It's not being appropriated, it's expanding because it's becoming more popular. Same thing that happened with comic books and video games.
>in order to make money off of it
Money is what drives every industry.
>and have it made by the same people who make every other piece of media
You know westerners aren't stealing anime right? The West and East can both make animation. The West investing more into animation doesn't take away from the East.

>It's not being appropriated, it's expanding
Hollywood attempting to take over the anime industry is not appropriation?
>same thing happened to comic books and video games
Yeah, like that was such a good thing for those mediums.

>Money drives every industry
doesn't mean I can't bitch about it. I'm not a communist or anything, but part of them free market is the person's right to voice displeasure

>Same thing that happened with comic books and video games
True. Just a few years ago, being a comic book nerd or a gamer had a negative stigma around it, now super hero movies dominate hollywood and Esports are a bigger thing than ever. I remember that people who scoffed at Heroes like Captain America started lining to see him.
While it attracts normalfags, making money has always been the goal.

who gives a shit? fucking spergs. a good cartoon is a good cartoon regardless of whether it's pure japanimation folded over 1000 times by japanese hands or it was dirtied by round eyes.

Attached: 1211844791053.gif (320x223, 981K)

What does it fucking matter?

>Hollywood attempting to take over the anime industry is not appropriation?
Hollywood isn't trying to take over the anime industry. Hollywood doesn't give a fuck about anime unless you mean the live action adaptations that don't take away from anime. The biggest competitor right now is Netflix that again, is not taking over anything, it's simply trying to enter the animation market by working with anime studio and producing their own shows.
>Yeah, like that was such a good thing for those mediums.
Debatable. I know people always say that as a medium expands the shittier it becomes while at the same time neglecting that the more a medium expands, the more likely you are to find things that appeal to you due to the sheer quantity of products being created.

>pay for streaming services
>savy
lauging_girls.jpg

It's not even a matter of quality, user. Castlevania and Avatar are both very good. (The same cannot be said about RWBY)

It's a problem of Hollywood attempting to take another niche subculture and make it mainstream, probably attempting to replicate the success of the MCU. It's at least worth talking about.

Oh not even just a few years ago. I meant more when Superman was created and there was a big back lash against comics and how they survived that period and grew but your example is perfect too.

You’re just a westernshit eater then who immediately thinks quality is some 3dp western series or book and anime can’t have it.

>Hollywood isn't trying to take over the anime industry
It is literally trying to create stuff that appeals to the same audience in order to maintain market share. It's not super aggressive yet, but with the success of the Robert Rodriguez + Cameron's recent adaptation it'll get more and more prominent. Don't forget the upcoming Your Name by fucking Jay Jay Abrams. Adult Swim's FLCL is another great example.

>the more likely you are to find things that appeal to you due to the sheer quantity of products being created.
I can see where you're coming from with this, but at the same time if it becomes too saturated it prevents things that deserve recognition to receive the recognition it deserves.

this is what happens to things when they become popular in a capitalist environment where lots of money can be made by milking it dry. any discussion on it is ultimately a waste of time; the people creating and profiting from the exploitation do not care about a bunch of autismals throwing a tantrum online.

remember, if you don't like something the best thing to do is give it free advertising.

>remember, if you don't like something the best thing to do is give it free advertising.
But plenty of things can take huge hits thanks to bad press.

>Burgers just slap the word "anime" on anything they make
>Muh cultural appropriation

I don't really watch western media anymore. My tastes have shifted to a preference for Japanese media. Not because it's "better", it just appeals to me more than western stuff does. You're still at an immature level where you have to justify everything you like as being superior, but hopefully you'll grow out of it by your mid 20s.

Japanese corporations do not have the resources to compete against American media giants. In terms of global influence, America has the infrastructure already in place for its media, Japan's global influence is small and scrappy by comparison. The stage is currently set for America to simply rip off Japan's style and use their existing global media infrastructure to dominate, thus relegating Japan to obscurity once again.

Yet you can’t admit that Japanese media is high quality, probably some sort of bias or self hate.

>it's expanding because it's becoming more popular
That's not really what's happening here. People are imitating a subculture they don't actually belong to in order to participate in a trendy fad. And you know they don't belong to it because of the way they misuse the concepts and terms within that subculture: they use "weeb" incorrectly, they use "waifu" incorrectly, they use "isekai" incorrectly, and a whole host of other minor sins.

And when people who actually belong to the subculture get annoyed and tell them they're using the words wrong, their response is "lol who cares", which just underscores the fact that they have a completely different set of values to people who already belong to the subculture. They are just imitating it without understanding. So the subculture is not growing into a mainstream one, it's simply being parasitically devoured by the mainstream.

Some Japanese media is high quality, and some is low quality. I'm using the word "quality" here to refer to those aspects of media that can be fairly and objectively assessed through quantifiable data (i.e. number of animation errors per minute of runtime or factual evidence that can be pointed to (i.e. logical contradictions in the writing), not subjective assessments (i.e. "it's boring", "it looks cooler" etc).

In general though, preference for something has little to do with it's objective quality and more to do with its personal appeal. I find most people who insist everything consume being of the best quality to be A) extremely pretentious and B) not actually all that appreciative of whatever thing they claim to enjoy. For the simple reason that they actually have very little experience with it and tend to rely overmuch on the opinions of other people to decide what they watch.

For that reason, I decided to err on the side of sometimes having to watch a lot of crappy, forgettable anime if it means discovering for myself if I enjoy something regardless of what the mainstream consensus about it is. That's the path that led me to liking anime, as a whole, not just the small collection of really good titles.

>So the subculture is not growing into a mainstream one, it's simply being parasitically devoured by the mainstream.
Isn't this what happens with everything?

People don't care about a subculture, they just like using it as a fashion accessory.

As someone actually living in Japan who can actually speak Japanese fluently, Japanese media is largely trash. It's generally only slightly better than western media in terms of the sheer amount of variety and their difference in perspective about things, but otherwise it's still junk. Anime is no exception either. The current problem isn't so much that anime is so superior to western cartoons either, but that western cartoons are just ass and the epitome of everything wrong with the leftist hive mind.

Quality isn't the problem, it's that a subculture is being destroyed.

>What will happen is Japanese corporations will realize they make more money pandering to the West (like Trigger already has) and the niche will be completely eradicated.
>China doesn't exist
We should've nuked them long, long ago

I would genuinely prefer China pandering garbage over Western pandering garbage, as at least its not the same culture that makes literally all other popular media.

If we're talking about subculture destruction, China's arguably done the most so far. Akihabara is mostly figure shops now and the number 1 clientele are chinamen followed by gooks in close second and a variety of different yuroniggers. The Chinese swarm everywhere with large numbers and their annoying and cancerous ching ping chong wang language, putting their grubby hands on everything and encouraging retarded market trends like virtual youtubers and other meme "otaku" things. And that's in Akiba, Ikebukuro is even worse. Chinks also have the advantage of language similarity and adapt to Japanese considerably faster and on a greater scale than westerners, so they have an even larger visibility online and everywhere else. AND they're even more braindead than westerners because they also double dip into disney's capeshit monopoly.

>youtubers
Fuck that shit. There was this Japanese festival or whatever it was in my city and 60% of the programme was made up of youtubers. Fucking why.

youtu.be/WWccr1r-H0E

>eceleb opinions

He makes reasonable points I would say.

This thread reminds me of a time when I would get upset when people called Avatar anime. Then I learned it was much more fun to join them and laugh at the autists who actually care about a label.
Code Lyoko is anime too btw.

They're trying to push into the Japanese market.

These companies can't grow and please investors without getting more subscribers, it's a disgusting unsustainable model.

Fuck off gigguk

It doesn't matter, you posted an eceleb to voice your opinion for you instead of even attempting to form one yourself. That's sad, and beyond that it's . Go back there

Tell me why that's worse than pandering to the west unless you'r some kind of manime faggot.

Anime is literally the Japanese word for animation. Japan lists Pixar movies and Tom and Jerry as anime. Japanese people find it bemusing and weird when weeaboos from the west who don't even speak Japanese get autistic about terms which they themselves are misusing.

Neither really matters at all. Why care instead of just
I don't know
watching anime?

This. I had a Japanese friend in university who would go to the anime club just to laugh at people. She treated western weebs like zoo animals.

Anime is literally animation

go to Japan and they say that Steven Universe and Simpson are all anime

You guys are just defensive weebs that's not even weeb enough

Anime =/= アニメ

If you want to play that game we're not allowed to use "ecchi" or "Hentai" anymore.

Reminder that when you complain about what is and isn't anime you are one step closer to becoming youtube.com/watch?v=d2FGgYp6mdk

Yeah, say ero manga like a normal person does, and not "doujin" you fucking troglodyte

This.
Its been happening to tabletop games for decades.

Attached: degradation of a hobby.jpg (2404x1260, 827K)

ITT people who don't understand how loanwords work and arguing over each other's heads because god forbid different words can mean different things in different contexts.

who care's what they label it as they're all cartoons at the end of the day.

You know a thread is beyond salvaging when the type of people who post content like this show up

She sounds great, it must have been embarrassing though.

This thread was garbage from the start but at least we can laugh at modern day Davido-kuns in it.

ITT: Outraged and embarrassed that Japs would laugh at you for your wrong and childish misuse of a word you claim to be 'loaning' from them.
It'd be like a weeaboo insisting that 'gohan' and 'food' are different, and that 'gohan' is special and different from all other 'food'. Autism.

While we're at it, wasei-eigo "bitch" and english "bitch" totally means the same thing, right?

Fags.

I legitimately can't watch any more of that video, this is horrible. I hope they don't think all tourists are like that.

Words are there to communicate meaning to other people. So when you say anime what is it that you want to tell people and what do you yourself think of when you hear anime? Those are the only questions you have to answer. People give meaning to words and words can have multiple meanings depending on the context and how they are used.

This, like when I call you a faggot it's a compliment because I see faggotry as a noble and positive trait all should aspire to

>calling Spencer Wan a who
uncultured swine

Reminder that Japanese use the word anime for any kind of drawn animation. To them, even The Simpsons is anime. You faggots are at fault for using the word wrong.

It's not even just drawn animation, they consider 3D stuff to be anime too.

'HnK isn't anime' fags should be gassed.

Do you think claymation would be considered anime by Japs?

Fair enough.

its a fucking nobody to the anime industry, so fuck off with your tryhard weebs

Well, that's the way you see the word, but either you are completely secluded from the outside world or braindead, you would know that other people don't have the same understanding of that word meaning you don't communicate your actual meaning to them properly. The opposite, people would think you are a troll arguing in bad faith.
Those two sides have to overlap for there to be communication.

Yes. Japanese wikipedia calls Wallace & Gromit "clay anime".

That's really cute wtf

A lot of animators should be aware of him. He is one of the most well known 2D animators outside of japan. And if you care about the craft then you probably heard about him.

You're really cute c:

>Giving a shit about netflix

>Fuck off gigguk
Man I wish I was gigguk. He gets to fuck sydsnap

What we consider anime japanese people call nihon anime. So japanese anime, basically. Animation that they identify with coming from their own country or in-group.

I think anime is just cartoons with Japanese VA's because they sound cute and funny.

call me when he gets to the level of nips god animators

Most of Yea Forums doesn't care about anime
industry beyond stalker numbers lol

I wonder if they have RP sex and what it would sound like.

That would assume we don't specify the nation of origin for every kind of food.

>cartoons with Japanese VA's
Originally with Japanese VA's or at any point they have Japanese VA's? Depending on the answer, the new FLCL stuff might not count as anime since their Japanese dubs aren't even out yet.

I have to assume they do. If youve heard any of their VA work then you probably have a good idea what it sounds like

He will at some point in time. Though you forget that the actual Gods of animation are in america/europe, right? A small company called disney produced some fine 2D animated movies back in the day.

youtube.com/watch?v=yy_FWdbnvM0
0:38 - 0:58 was done by himself only in a couple of weeks

looks like dogshit, user
give something else

Because the chinese are more and bigger, and if we're allegedly concerned about the watering down of a subculture and whining about quality and the threat the west poses, the Chinese are the real final boss dumbass

I'm sure its pure coincidence that this thread is made exactly one day after Gigguk made a video about this exact topic

Is that dyke on the right Sypha?
My God, what happened to her hair?

Attached: 1485213778087.jpg (823x744, 109K)

No, it would assume that we call Italian food ciba, French food Aliments, Indian food bhojan etc. We don't, and your comparison is fucking laughable.

By shrilly demanding that everyone conforms to the incorrect definition YOU have decided applies to anime, you make yourself look stupid and wrong to the people who ACTUALLY CAME UP WITH THE WORD.

Americans should fucking stop culturally appropriating every kind of thing they see in the world.

Fuck off, japanese animators wish they could create this sequence.

tell that to mexicans copying calarts style

>60% of the programme was made up of youtubers.
e-celebs get the bucks instead of people who actually create content which is fucking disgusting

>culturally appropriating
Never once thought I'd see this used sincerely around here

>e-celebs get the bucks instead of people who actually create content
Do they not create content as well?

>Enjoyed Castlekino more than I have half of the shit I've eatched in three years
Whatever. They can call it whatever they want as long as they keep up the quality.

Attached: file_0.png (237x230, 102K)

It's blowing in the wind.

I could've made it clearer, sorry. People who actually create the content being discussed being less priority than the people who talk about the stuff that they produce.

Obviously reviewers are important, but I don't think they should be the headliners at events.

Still too short and ugly.
Does her personality make up for it or is she one of the usual power fantasy girls that drag their men around?

>American media companies will prefer to make their own "anime" rather than import it from Japan
This is already happening, see Castlevania. Other countries realize that it's more convenient to have a local creative staff and make the animation proper in asian sweatshops than order something to a Japanese studio and have almost no control over what they're doing. Haoliners tried the latter for the first season of Hitori no Shita and it sucked so much people immediately thought it was made by a Chinese studio without realizing it came from Japan. Since then they've switched to making animation in-house and produced the cool To be Heroine.
I don't really care if people think American animation is anime, because it means competition for real anime over overseas market. It will dissuade Japanese companies from investing heavily in productions tuned for international audiences, which is the real threat to anime's uniqueness and creativity.

she's fine
Scholars are OP tho

I just don't want conversations with my friends like this:
>yeah, that Castlevania cartoon was pretty good
>uh, user, it's an anime.

Brace yourselves boys, because Ari Shankar is aiming for Devil May Cry and he's really interested on making a new adaptation of Berserk

If anything it makes the market for anime even more competitive meaning the japanese would want to make their anime even more appealing to foreign audiences.

Fuck off, SJW shill.

Attached: 1521095951208.png (1662x936, 1.47M)

>he's really interested on making a new adaptation of Berserk
nothing can be worse that the shitfest that was the new adaptations
I'd say go for it, but the problem I have with his adaptation of Castlevania is his huge hateboner against religion

Why the fuck can't he do something without relying on Japanese properties people already like?

Why are we pretending all anime are paragons of animation/storytelling and The West copying this is an affront against us anime fans?
If it's good, fine. If it's not, whatever. Most anime is the same way. I'll watch it if it's good, no matter what it calls itself. Same thing happens with genres all the time.

because normies think his castlevania adaptation is the best videogame adaptation so far so they have some faith on him
Blame the morons who failed at adapting videogames to another medium

Get new friends if they're this anal about this stuff and you're not, normie.

you mean Warren Ellis right?
Ari is just edgy guy, Warren is the one who have his hateboner

You're misunderstanding, user.
I am anal about this stuff, which is why in that hypothetical situation I call it a cartoon and not an anime.

>is his huge hateboner against religion
haven't seen his adaptation, but played the old games
isn't religion a crucial element in the game's lore?

An actual quality adaption of Berserk sounds great. If it's 2D animated it might even be the best Berserk animation yet. Only thing is the music is great for the new one.
Does he hate religion? That may or may not be a problem for Berserk since it already has some parts which shit on religion itself.

People are (rightfully) defensive about the kind of content that will be threatened by American culture (lolis, sexualization).

Only Trigger has been able to make sexualization be somewhat cool and not just pervy with KLK.

Japanese are not going to make money by trying to imitate the Americans who imitate anime. Americans know global audiences better and have much superior infrastructures and relations. Japan is going to lose that battle, so if they're not stupid they're going to focus on the local market on which anime already strived for decades. Maybe investors are going to make less money than today but that's not a bad thing since currently there's an overproduction problem.

This is like a friendship between a conservative and a progressive, it just can't work in this day and age of extremism. Drop 'em user. If you like East and they the West, it sucks but it has to happen.

Well unless the West completely eclipses the East, we'll always have that in the Eastern side of things. More options is good, monopolies lead to stagnation.

As Japanese anime become more "safe" and westernized, China will take over.

>another west vs east animation
lets fuse Yea Forums and Yea Forums while we are at it
the thing is studios are realising they can get more sheckels if they pander to the west. See the shild hero anime where the edgy mc's monologues were 95% removed

Virgin.

and yet sjws hate the adaptation but to be honest,there is noway someone can please those faggots

One of my best friends is a Trump cuck though, we just don't talk about politics unless we're actively trying to troll one another. Just because you have mild differences with someone doesn't mean you can't be friends.

Yeah it's definitely because of SJWs and not the fact that it's the nth shitty isekai this decade. I can't wait for this garbage trend to die and be replaced by whatever follows.

yeah,because The Leader is AOTD, right?
youtube.com/watch?v=4MFMaTycib4

Isekai won't go anywhere, user
the fuck is this shit?

I don't even prefer Eastern stuff for the most part, I just think the distinction is important.

>it's another Yea Forumsirgin crying about sjws instead of owning up to his shit taste episode

>the fuck is this shit?
the best story ever told
China will conquer Japan and then the filthy west

Well magical girlfriend shows and after that magic battle highschool shows also eventually disappeared. I give Isekai 5 more years.

The japanese are already dependant on the foreign market. China's industry will only get bigger the more the country develops, quickly overtaking japan in output.
America will end up doing the same. So japan has to either appeal to western/chinese audiences to keep their market share or they are going to have some big losses down the line as their domestic market is shrinking.
People are already noticing the decline in blu ray sales in the stalker threads.

>everything you like will eventually be bastardized by corporations and groups that wanted nothing to do with it until it became "cool"
How do I cope with this?

That's what I meant by 'they're going to make less money'. But it's not like their overseas revenue is going to plummet to zero overnight, if it happens it's going to be progressive so the industry can adapt and it's not necessarily a bad thing. Nowadays one of the reasons we get so many low-effort anime projects is because investors don't know what to do with their money. But the pool of competent workers isn't growing fast enough to follow that trend, as a result it brings down the average quality of the production from the whole industry.

You go further and further down the rabbit hole to more obscure hobbies. They'll inevitably catch up, with or without an actual audience for the bastardization.

What a sad state of affairs.

I don't know, I feel a western adaptation of Berserk will be decent in animation but still horrible with the removal of rape and gore scenes

>the more likely you are to find things that appeal to you due to the sheer quantity of products being created.
that only works if things targeted at you are still made, comics for example now basically only target the 16-35 female and minority market, there are less comics that interest me than there were 10 or 20 years ago, even if more comics overall are produced

I just feel like it's not fucking needed. People will prefer the manga anyways and it make the threads worse.

I don't know why ANYONE wants an adaptation of something they like written for people who aren't them.

youtube.com/watch?v=WWccr1r-H0E

>has a direct benefit from anime being westernized
fuck off with your e-celeb shilling, these people say this shit to make money first and fucking foremost, not because they care about the medium

>It'd be like a weeaboo insisting that 'gohan' and 'food' are different
It doesn't happen because people are used to say x-country food but otherwise it could. After all we already use ramen when we could say 'Japanese wheat noodle soup' and sometimes people even use sashimi instead of 'sliced raw food'.
Here we also tend to use loanwords for every country's comics, like 'comics' for American ones, 'fumetti' for Italian comics, 'Manwha' for Korean comics, etc. It's not specifically a weeb thing.
Get used to the fact loan words exist and won't necessarily mean the exact same thing than they originally did. Languages always evolved like that and won't stop just because you want to flaunt your N5 level in Japanese.

>always evolved like that
well now anime has evolved to mean whatever hollywood says it does :^)

It's evolving to mean 'something that looks like Japanese animation' rather than 'animation made in Japan'. Which is exactly what happens with food. Big news: the pizza and sushi you buy at the corner of your street is probably nothing like the original thing and merely vaguely looks like it.

fair point

anime is something writen and produced in japan

>titles should or should not be grouped
i swear i've read if those titties should or not be groped under english law

French artists are heavily influenced by anime since more manga get licensed in France than America yet French don't call their cartoons, anime

Too many Youtube videos of art school students saying their art school teacher hates anime.

So I guess art school teachers consider anime a style?

It's almost as if they use it as a marketing gimmick rather than actually caring.

Do you have any counterarguments to his points? Is he wrong?
It's very funny how the janitors have such a hateboner for "e-celebs" that they delete any video they make even though it's directly relevant to the topic of discussion.

How did weeb and weeaboo escape from Yea Forums.

moot was just tired of people using Wapanese on Yea Forums.

My boy, I'm killing my boy

Everyone with taste hates anime, can you blame them?

Fuck off, Gigguk.

You can make an argument without relying on a paid e-celebrity to make points for you.

The reason why e-celebs are banned is because otherwise this board turns into Yea Forums where half of the discussion is dedicated to e-celeb drama as opposed to the actual content the board is designed to discuss.

Fuck Netflix.

Castlevania games are a hundred times less edgy than the Netflix Castlevania Anime.

Attached: 1543966655402.jpg (2597x1188, 990K)

I don't get the point of hateboner or whatnot. Lisa was branded a witch in the actual game too. You could say the corrupt priest and all that, but fact is the Belmont was loathed during the time of Castlevania 3

We do have local comic artists who call themselves mangaka. But like others already said, it's mostly for marketing reasons and honestly I can't blame them for it. It's the logical thing to do if they want to reach their target audience. Though I do think advertising Castlevania as an anime was stupid. People were going to watch it anyway as it is on Netflix and it would have been the occasion to change the childish image American cartoons have.

Cool, show me where this official definition is written. Anime never meant anything more than the Jap word for "animation"

SIIIIP BACK IN MY DAY WE CALLED IT A JAPANIMATION

He's got a point

>You can make an argument
If there are already a bunch of arguments made in a video somewhere on YT that I basically agree with, why would just retype everything it says? What's the point? I don't care if it comes from an arbitrary group of people whom the janitors consider "e-celebs" or not, videos are just videos. Ever heard of "The Death of the Author"?
>otherwise this board turns into Yea Forums where half of the discussion is dedicated to e-celeb drama
Then prohibit going into e-celeb drama, not fucking censor the relevant content itself. It's not that hard.

Taiwanese or Traditional Chinese Letters are closer to Japanese letters than the simplified Chinese used by Mao.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplified_Chinese_characters

Lisa still burnt to death in the game. Your argument is invalid

>If there are already a bunch of arguments made in a video somewhere on YT that I basically agree with
you are having someone discuss something for you in a discussion board. Do you not see anything silly about this?
>Then prohibit going into e-celeb drama, not fucking censor the relevant content itself. It's not that hard
wow, it's almost as if that's nigh impossible to do and it's much easier to draw a line and just stop it entirely.

This is entirely ignoring the fact that it's advertising, which is also against the rules of the site.

True but it sounds dumb, I'm glad it fell out of fashion. And to be truthful most people over 35 I see call Japanese animation 'manga'. This little debate seems really silly when you put things into perspective.

Only Japanese losers go to overseas colleges.

In Japan, go to the Japanese Ivies like Tokyo University, Waseda, etc and graduate with a guaranteed job at some high ranking company or try to enter politics or government.

Japanese companies just care more about the name of college than GPA.

Spending so much money on overseas college since international students pay the highest prices in Western colleges is a waste of money.

Your Japanese friend wasted money on undergraduate education.

You could argue grad school in an overseas college is acceptable but come on, no common sense at all to attend a foreign school just for a bachelor's degree.

Your Jap friend's parents should have saved the college expenses for your friend's first wedding or down payment for the first house she buys in Japan.

Jesus Christ this post is annoying

Because the modern chinese "culture" is a fucking barely-existent cancer, today's chinks are brainwashed fucks brought up in a culture of censorship, and its history and underlying heritage have been basically washed out of the public knowledge.

I would take pandering to the Western culture and history any day of the week, because at least there is something interesting there to pander to.

t. currently live in chinkland.

Everyone here watches Gigguk its just that nobody wants to admit it.

I have to disagree with Gigguk's premise that anime is a "brand". If anime were a brand, it would be a brand that encompasses any cartoon from any country that has:
1. big eyes
2. realistic body proportions (sometimes)
3. detailed backgrounds
4. sausuga
5. no nose
the set of all anime shows lies outside of the set of all TV shows that have these traits because anime has "Japanese" humor and regularly has anti-war themes. I watch Gegege no Kitaro which is about a guy dealing with paranormal entities specifically from Japanese folklore. Furthermore, anime shows usually have a setting in Japan. You don't see Japanese themes like adolescence syndrome or Japanese language jokes in other well-animated shows like Wakfu. We simply have to accept that Japanese cartoons are much better quality than American cartoons.