Will anything ever manage to surpass this? It was literally apex anime

Will anything ever manage to surpass this? It was literally apex anime.

Attached: 94ACA4D4-42B2-4E48-B7ED-36AB36167FA4.jpg (960x1440, 100K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LQi56q1h5N0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>pubes in mainstream anime
How is this allowed?

Attached: 77740C1B-275B-4FFA-8C78-307499FFEEA6.jpg (1280x720, 84K)

Attached: 1528163986698.jpg (1280x720, 124K)

God I wish I had XRay vision.

Shit-tier anime, manga was better.

Manaria friends is better eat it edge nigger

Crybaby polished the shit manga into a masterpiece.

Kys yuricuck.

It wasn't even AOTY. Top 5 of 2018 at best.

It was shit lmao

>AKIRAAAAAAA!
Hold me Yea Forums

>It wasn't even the best Devilman. Top 5 of all Devilman adaptations at best.
Ftfy.

You're mad because he right and you can't accept that. It's okay, just accept it and move on like a good boy.

No, actually I agree with him: It's far from being one of the best anime of the last year. (More like bottom-5 than top-5.) It's not even the best Nagai adaptation of 2018 - and there weren't that many of them.
It just happens to also be clearly the worst entry in the Devilman franchise as a whole.

It's a true work of art, and deserves every bit of recognition out there, but there are anime that surpass it and there will be in the future.

Pubes are hot but the scene where she gives head is even hotter.

Attached: D59AB0CE-D8B7-4870-9853-7A4DC220B873.png (1024x523, 431K)

lol

Oh God the feels.

>Still Aoty though

Top 5 devilman is still better than the other anime released that year.

it was garbage though

No, it definitely is not. First of all, depending on how you count them and what you count, there are less than 5 Devilman adaptations, so every new one would automatically make the top-5 anyway.
Furthermore, Devilman is known to have notoriously mediocre adaptations, especially compared to other Nagai franchises.

Sure, liking Yuasa gives you hipster credit, but really, it's as mainstream as you can get. Crybaby was successful because it catered to the teenage Netflix audience and gave a pretense of being critical of sociocultural "issues".
The thing is that people who like Yuasa rarely ever can produce a reasonable argument why they do. That is quite telling, don't you agree? If you like something, you should be able to explain why - and not just refer to the authority of "critics", not just parrot review sites like ANN. That's pretty much a reddit-sentiment where you just downvote dissenting opinions instead of critically examining them (and your own views).

This is the most autistic post I have ever read on Yea Forums

That's a whole lot of buzzwords to simply say stop liking what I don't like. There's been a number of good Devilman adaptations. This was one of them.

It's an anniversary adaptation to celebrate the grandfather of modern seinen and it did so well.

The mere fact you don't like for reasons that amount to "it's popular" displays how much projection there is when you use the word "hipster".

And its great

>I watched 10 anime
Kys.

>you don't like for reasons that amount to "it's popular"
Nice strawman. No one ever said that.
The problem is that you only like it because it's popular. And calling Nagai the "grandfather of modern seinen" is the worst thing you could say about him. Shows where you are coming from.

But, hey, how about you tell us why you liked what Crybaby did, instead of just telling us that you liked it?

You literally said this
>Muh teen netflix only likes it because it critical of sociocultural issues

This is peak hipster. No one gives a shit why people on netflix like it or why it's popular there.

The mere fact you even mention this means this conundrum is living in your head rent free.

/thread

>You literally said
Indeed, my argument was: "People like it because X". Which is decidedly not the same as "I don't like it because X". What use it it arguing with you if you don't even understand basic logic?

Anyway: You still haven't managed to give your reasons for liking it. Shouldn't be a hard question to answer, really. Unless, of course, you don't actually have reasons of your own.

630 watched anime here, watched and read basically everything Devilman, still a 10/10 for me.

Get fucked retard.

Attached: 1538826253729.jpg (531x531, 61K)

It's literally just a worse version of Elfen Lied

It was fucking amazing. It is only second to Madoka itself.

>630 watched anime
Counted it to the exact number, did you? Go back to MAL please.

>still a 10/10 for me.
Spotted the fanatic Yuasafag.

>630 watched anime here
>still a 10/10 for me.
that's shit taste user.

>Go back to MAL please.
At least MAL isn't filled with retards who think popular = bad.

No, mal is filled with two types of people.
People who think: Ohhhhohhoooo, S A O, fuun obga boga, doga.
And people who think: The abstract complex interactions of cinematographic techniqués used in this particular scene of SAO, represents an example, of unimpressive abuse of contemporary scenery, and (as my idol Digibro always says), that is why SAO is the worst anime ever made, even worse then mars of destruction, if I might be inclined to add.

Aka, normies, and underage digibro fans.
And as you belong to the latter category, you are not old enough for Yea Forums yet.

I honestly don't get why people like this show. The whole thing felt like a fever dream, with some of the worst pacing I have ever seen in any show. Almost none of the characters had any story arc that made sense (Miko being an introvert living in the shadow of Miki due to names, yet when she meets someone who genuinely cares for her, she kills them when she becomes a Devilman, for absolutely no reason. Gay runner gets introduced and dropped in the firat episode until he's brought back for a confusing bait & switch with the rappers, plus he joins yhe bad guys for seemingly no reason. Akira being so empathetic that he literally cries over random people dying, yet is still friends with an obvious psychopath who almost killed his gf, said psychopath is so obviously a bad guy that the reveal that he's literally Satan is unsuprising.)

The animation, when compared to 80s and 90s OVAs, lacks any goddamn grit or feeling and just comes off as chicken scratch. Music and voice acting were okay, outside of the hilarious engrish in the Japanese dub, but other than that, I really don't see how people could like this show. It felt like they cut out more than half of a full series and slapped together whatever they had left.

How anyone thought that this could be AOTY at all is fucking baffling to me. Fuck this show, read the damn manga.

Attached: 0d2.png (398x309, 122K)

Not him, but holy shit are you even reading what you're posting
How can you not die from being so cr*nge

lmao shut the fuck up loser

Good try but I've been watching anime since 1992, when you actually had to go out and buy obscure VHS tapes to get anything. The actual normie, aka someone who has to apply his standards of "normalness" onto others, is you, by shunning BOTH the pleb who likes SAO but also the one who can form an intelligent opinion on to how the show is bad. You're a memeing fencesitter afraid of ever showing his own, genuine opinions on a medium as childish as anime. Pathetic.

Attached: 1547853588055.jpg (400x400, 21K)

>retards who think popular = bad
Again, you're arguing a strawman. No one actually said that.

But, incidently, sites like MAL and ANN are filled with sheep who only like things that other people tell them to like. Again, you fail to give reasons for why you like Yuasa. How much of a mindless follower do you have to be to be unable to explain your own taste?

Akira

>Crybaby
Soul
>OVAs
Souless

Attached: sirene.png (895x987, 831K)

>The animation, when compared to 80s and 90s OVAs, lacks any goddamn grit or feeling and just comes off as chicken scratch.
The worst thing about that is that whenever anyone tries to argue in detail where Yuasa's animation "style" fails (lack of shading, detail, weight and so on), Yuasa's fans try to shout that discussion down with non-arguments.

People who liked Devilman Crybaby probably think mother! is the best film of all time.

I bet you think the works of Chuck Jones are trash because of the "lack of shading, detail, weight and so on" too, huh?
I thought Mother! was a huge piece of shit and Crybaby was fantastic.

I mostly agree with you. But given the state of anime, probably was one of the best shows las year.

Nah, Aronofsky is a literal retard and the only decent film he made is The Wrestler (thanks to Rourke).

How ironic that you use that meme to defend the one adaptation that delivered the emptiest interpretation of the Devilman storyline. The one that thought going through the manga plotpoint by plotpoint, devoid of any context or meaning, was a good idea.

EVERYTHING you say is subjective. Nice blogpost, retard

>Again, you're arguing a strawman. No one actually said that.
It was heavily implied by arguing that someone who likes Devilman Crybaby has probably only seen 10 shows.

>can form an intelligent opinion on to how the show is bad
hahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahhaahha!!!!
This, is exactly why I am mocking YOU.
Yes, YOU, the one who should go back to mal.

>an intelligent opinion
If you think that kids who try to be edgy by pretending to have their own opinion while in fact are just following the fad that it's cool to shit on SAO, have an "intelligent opinion" on it, then it is exactly YOU who is the butt of the joke.
Hahahahahahahahahahahaaa

Now go back to MAL, kid, and leave the adults alone to talk about our Chinese cartoons, kiddo.

Attached: c9bf25da29902d0a1114210dcb312f733a5c4aff9b12cc5e6dd2966853d7b1f4.gif (640x360, 1.75M)

How does it feel to be a fucking liar

>Now go back to MAL, kid, and leave the adults alone to talk about our Chinese cartoons, kiddo.
>how do you do fellow 4channelers

Not him, but I like his fluid animation and directicting. I like Mind game, Ping pong, the shorts, devilman crybaby (I also like the old OVAs and the manga). He's probably one of the best directors alive.

You?

>Pi and Requiem for a Dream
>not "decent"
Come on now.

never watched it but it looks like shit
most unforgiveable sin in a show is ugly character design, and that blonde retard is just painful to look at

Cool post dude.

Attached: 1547726773190.jpg (1146x1154, 216K)

>you think the works of Chuck Jones are trash
We are not arguing Chuck Jones, who is not perfect in all regards either. But his style, while it lacks shading, does have lots of details, and more importantly: It does have proper movement dynamics, including weight distribution (albeit comically exaggerated). Yuasa's animation does not. You can pick any scene from Crybaby and you will see where it fails.

t. 17-year old

>Crybaby
Soul
>OVAs
Souless

Attached: don't lose your head.png (1024x1067, 623K)

Glad to see this place is still an Yea Forumsutism containment board

>she kills them when she becomes a Devilman, for absolutely no reason
It wasn't intentional.

>It was heavily implied by arguing that someone who likes Devilman Crybaby has probably only seen 10 shows.
No, it was not. It's just what you want to read, because you cannot argue the arctual points made. Please stop telling other people what they supposedly implied and concentrate on what they actually wrote. We can't have a proper debate when you ignore the most simple guidelines of human interaction.

>Requiem for a Dream
>decent
are you 12?

Cope, underage digibors

>because you cannot argue the arctual points made
What points? That liking Crybaby makes you a normie and you should go back to MAL? Not even the same poster btw.

>You?
I don't. I find his animation style abhorrent, mainly because its "fluidity" robs every movement of any possible impact. The lack of shading serves no other purpose than cutting costs, and gives everything a rather artificial look. Same for the lack of detail.

When it comes to the content of his work, I'm pretty ambivalent. I found Ping Pong rather boring, but I generally don't like sports stories. Mind Game was okay for a short, but not really my type of thing. I liked Tatami Galaxy.

Crybaby fails because it doesn't manage to capture what its source material is about. As someone who loves Nagai's manga, I can't see any value in what Crybaby did.

nah, it was two episodes too short

>Yuasa
True artist.
>whoever guy directed the OVAs
Talentless hack with no vision whatsoever

Attached: souless vs soul.png (1528x1962, 3.03M)

No, the actual points that were made long before that. For example:

1) That Crybaby is inferior as an adaptation to all other Devilman anime.
2) That Crybaby is inferior to a number of other anime of 2018.
3) That Crybaby fans cannot bring forward actual arguments for why they like it. (That one is extremely easy to dispute).
4) That Crybaby did get most of its success by pandering to the Netflix audience.
5) That Yuasa's animation has objective flaws.

Among other arguments that have been ignored by one side.

>it was two episodes too short
I disagree: It was ten episodes too long.

>literally apex anime
I wouldn't say that but It's definitely better than Violet evershit

We can all agree on that.

>Do I fit in yet: the post

>arguing why people shouldn't like what they like and why what you like is better with respect to something as subjective as art
someone must have stroked this asshole's ego again. was it your mom telling you she loves you despite her disappointment and wishing you'd never been born?

>arguing why people shouldn't like what they like
That's not what anyone is doing, retard. Again, instead of trying to argue one of the points, you are making up a strawman argument that you can attack.

The OP made a clear objective statement that Crybaby
>was literally apex anime.
Objective counterpoints were made, without anyone telling anyone else what to like or to dislike. None of these arguments were henceforth discussed, because Yuasafags started doing what you are doing and attacked people for things they didn't say.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Don't bother. This guy is in literally every Crybaby thread, pestering anyone who says that he liked it. Apparently he's a CH Universe fag who got really upset about Crybaby getting extremely popular while CHU was ignored if not panned (now he will reply me with some rant about ANN, tumbrl or MAL, you'll see).

I liked crybaby, but don't post misinformation for an argument. The ova of the finale is from some dumb novelization of the manga.

It was pure kino and one of the best devilman adaptions.

the original manga influenced so much shit, it really is an apex series.

>(now he will reply me with some rant about ANN, tumbrl or MAL, you'll see)
You do realize that half of the thread has already been about MAL and ANN. So what exactly are you trying to argue? That MAL, ANN and tumblr aren't irrelevant shitholes? That it's not a problem people can't make arguments themselves and rely on echochambers?

Anyway, for your other point: You'll find that on Yea Forums, at least when it comes to Yea Forums and /m/, Cutie Honey Universe was far better received than Devilman Crybaby. Which doesn't matter much, because no one should ever base one's own opinion on the opinion of "the masses".

fucking cringe and obvious newfag, kill yourself

read this , it's about (You)

Nope, that poster literally addressed someone on the other side of the spectrum: A MALtard like you.

>You do realize that half of the thread has already been about MAL and ANN
Yeah, I wonder whose fault that is.
>when it comes to Yea Forums and /m/, Cutie Honey Universe was far better received than Devilman Crybaby
By all the 3 people who watched it (actually no, we're 4 and I thought it was shit).

Attached: image.jpg (960x960, 32K)

The secret to the system is that they are both cancerous MALtards, and they BOTH should go back there.
Only I am the one who can see through their deception.

Attached: Chuuni.gif (250x250, 214K)

>By all the 3 people who watched it
It had threads that regularly reached 60 posters 250 posts. One even made it to the bump-limit and stayed alive for three days.
Tell me, how is that possible if only 4 people watched it? And what threads has Crybaby produced, other than meme threads and shitpost bait like this one?
And, again: Why are we arguing populartiy when we should be arguing quality? Are you so insecure about your taste that you won't ever debate it?

>Tell me, how is that possible if only 4 people watched it?
It was all me resetting my IP. But seriously, I don't think I've seen CHU mentioned in a single AOTY discussion, and we have hundreds of them. What gives?
>And what threads has Crybaby produced, other than meme threads and shitpost bait like this one?
Dunno about the threads, but it's constantly mentioned in AOTY discussions. Must be MALfags undercover.
>And, again: Why are we arguing populartiy when we should be arguing quality?
Might have something to do with you without fail bringing up ANN, tumbrl and MAL in every thread. Just a hypothesis.
>Are you so insecure about your taste that you won't ever debate it?
Actually I just finished arguing with a retard in another thread so I don't feel like having another serious discussion. But I was annoyed by your attitude just like the other user I first replied to so here I am.

>>Tell me, how is that possible if only 4 people watched it?
>It was all me resetting my IP. But seriously, I don't think I've seen CHU mentioned in a single AOTY discussion, and we have hundreds of them. What gives?
>>And what threads has Crybaby produced, other than meme threads and shitpost bait like this one?
>Dunno about the threads, but it's constantly mentioned in AOTY discussions. Must be MALfags undercover.
>>And, again: Why are we arguing populartiy when we should be arguing quality?
>Might have something to do with you without fail bringing up ANN, tumbrl and MAL in every thread. Just a hypothesis.
>>Are you so insecure about your taste that you won't ever debate it?
>Actually I just finished arguing with a retard in another thread so I don't feel like having another serious discussion. But I was annoyed by your attitude just like the other user I first replied to so here I am.
lol

Parasyte already surpassed it

>>>Tell me, how is that possible if only 4 people watched it?
>>It was all me resetting my IP. But seriously, I don't think I've seen CHU mentioned in a single AOTY discussion, and we have hundreds of them. What gives?
>>>And what threads has Crybaby produced, other than meme threads and shitpost bait like this one?
>>Dunno about the threads, but it's constantly mentioned in AOTY discussions. Must be MALfags undercover.
>>>And, again: Why are we arguing populartiy when we should be arguing quality?
>>Might have something to do with you without fail bringing up ANN, tumbrl and MAL in every thread. Just a hypothesis.
>>>Are you so insecure about your taste that you won't ever debate it?
>>Actually I just finished arguing with a retard in another thread so I don't feel like having another serious discussion. But I was annoyed by your attitude just like the other user I first replied to so here I am.
>lol
lmao

>I don't think I've seen CHU mentioned in a single AOTY discussion, and we have hundreds of them. What gives?
And what have you seen mentioned in AOTY discussions? The usual shounenshit, Crybaby, VEG, Sora Yori. Is that how you define good quality? Really?
Or maybe, just maybe, some demographics don't care about "AOTY" threads.

>Must be MALfags undercover.
You can hardly say "undercover" when they make it as obvious as , can you?

>you without fail bringing up ANN, tumbrl and MAL in every thread
No one even mentioned Tumblr before you made your post about it. Seems you're kinda obsessed with that topic. And the first mention of MAL came from that guy bragging about how many anime he had seen. Something you probably applaud, right?

>I don't feel like having another serious discussion.
>But I was annoyed by your attitude just like the other user I first replied to so here I am.
So, in other words, you are here to troll. How nice.

>>>>Tell me, how is that possible if only 4 people watched it?
>>>It was all me resetting my IP. But seriously, I don't think I've seen CHU mentioned in a single AOTY discussion, and we have hundreds of them. What gives?
>>>>And what threads has Crybaby produced, other than meme threads and shitpost bait like this one?
>>>Dunno about the threads, but it's constantly mentioned in AOTY discussions. Must be MALfags undercover.
>>>>And, again: Why are we arguing populartiy when we should be arguing quality?
>>>Might have something to do with you without fail bringing up ANN, tumbrl and MAL in every thread. Just a hypothesis.
>>>>Are you so insecure about your taste that you won't ever debate it?
>>>Actually I just finished arguing with a retard in another thread so I don't feel like having another serious discussion. But I was annoyed by your attitude just like the other user I first replied to so here I am.
>>lol
>lmao
rofl

Humanity doesn't deserve salvation.

Indeed, humidity doesn't deserve starvation. Yuasa's so deep!

>And what have you seen mentioned in AOTY discussions? The usual shounenshit, Crybaby, VEG, Sora Yori. Is that how you define good quality? Really?
>Or maybe, just maybe, some demographics don't care about "AOTY" threads.
So basically, when you say "Yea Forums and /m/" you actually mean "me and these other 2 guys", and not the overwhelming majority of the board, which is all MAL. Good to know.
>You can hardly say "undercover" when they make it as obvious as , can you?
>No one even mentioned Tumblr before you made your post about it. Seems you're kinda obsessed with that topic. And the first mention of MAL came from that guy bragging about how many anime he had seen. Something you probably applaud, right?
As if you need someone to give you an assist. You already started your ANN rant way earlier, The dishonesty is palpable.
>So, in other words, you are here to troll. How nice.
Unfortunately I can't compete with your shitposts

I liked it because it actually managed to make a proper character out of Miki, which essentially drove home the wedge between Ryo and Akira's relationship. When people go all-in with fujo shipping Ryo and Akira, it feels more forced in this case unlike the original because of Miki's existence alone, which in of itself is a real testament to how well Yuasa adapted her character.

>the overwhelming majority of the board
These threads alone disprove your claim. The "overwhelming majority" of the board detests Crybaby for very good reasons. But, yes, there are lots of underage posters on Yea Forums, a few trolls from Tumblr and Reddit, lots of people who have MAL-accounts and can't think for themselves. And retards like you, who probably fall in more than one of those sets.
It's also pretty funny that you still argue mass-appeal over quality. You've already given up on making an actual point, haven't you?

>You already started your ANN rant way earlier
True. That one was brought up by me. In a discussion about other platforms, which were not started by me. Your point?

>I can't compete with your shitposts
What shitposts? I tend to make actual point pertaining to the subject of this thread. You, on the other hand think that discrediting your opponent wins you a debate (which you have not contributed anything to so far, other than "muh perceived popularity").

>which in of itself is a real testament to how well Yuasa adapted her character.
Seems you didn't get her character in the original at all. Because what we got in Crybaby was nothing like what she was supposed to be.
Then again, noting in Crybaby was.

>These threads alone disprove your claim
Oh yeah the threads where you jump to the throat of anyone who says that he liked the show. Who are all MAL invaders and not true Yea Forums, let's not forget.
>The "overwhelming majority" of the board detests Crybaby
I see that you live in your own little delusion. Okay.
>You've already given up on making an actual point, haven't you?
I've already answered that.
>True. That one was brought up by me. In a discussion about other platforms, which were not started by me.
Don't you find it embarassing to lie like that when anyone immediately check to see the truth? is your post and the first mention of ANN, and there is literally nothing about "other platforms" before.
>What shitposts? I tend to make actual point pertaining to the subject of this thread.
Oh, it shows.

It's definitely anime of the decade. Just look at this art style. Not even Violet Evergarden has so much detail.

Attached: dunnowhethertolaughorcrybaby.png (1280x720, 201K)

>Oh yeah the threads where you jump to the throat of anyone who says that he liked the show.
I did no such thing, troll. I, like many others, just voice my criticism.
And it's obvious which side is the aggressive one that always goes for personal attacks and strawmanning.

>Who are all MAL invaders
That, again, is not something anyone has said. See, you're strawmanning again.

>I've already answered that.
Yes, you've said that you have no interest in an actual debate but rather want to shitpost. Is that supposed to make anyone take you seriously?

Oh, you're right. I forgot that ANN was mentioned before. Doesn't change much about the actual debate, does it?

Do you notice how we're going around in circles? If you don't make a new point, I'll simply ignore you.

>That, again, is not something anyone has said.
Yeah, sorry. You called them: "underage posters, a few trolls from Tumblr and Reddit, lots of people who have MAL-accounts and can't think for themselves". Precision is important.
>And it's obvious which side is the aggressive one
It really is >That, again, is not something anyone has said.
See above.
>Is that supposed to make anyone take you seriously?
Dunno, but certainly it was supposed to not make you ask a pointless question.
>Doesn't change much about the actual debate, does it?
It kind of does, since it's your usual modus operandi, and not a simple mistake.

>Seems you didn't get her character in the original at all
Seems you missed the part that the new anime made its own thing out of the characters and that's exactly what I'm praising it for. See Ryo for the most obvious example who got a lot of stuff changed in his character for the sake of the new narrative that Crybaby was attempting.

>Because what we got in Crybaby was nothing like what she was supposed to be.
No kidding, it's almost as if that was the point I was making.

On the other hand making Miki a generic '80s tsundere in the OVAs was perfectly fine.

Well, if your point is that Yuasa disrespecting the original manga is a good thing, then that's your opinion and as such valid. It's just not something you can really use to convince anyone who actually likes the manga.

Not really. The OVA had their own problems. And Devilman has never had a proper adaptation. Can't be helped. But we are talking about Crybaby here, which was worse than the others in several aspects.

The show is OK but I feel like none of the scenes have any real impact. It feels like there are these moments where the show WANTS you to feel intense emotion but they just all fall flat. A large part of that is because the show shifts to other scenes and characters too rapidly.

You must have watched the worst 630 anime to reach that conclusion

Crybaby threads must be the only ones who get trolled to death not by those who disliked it, but those who claim to have liked it. Or are you guys falseflaggers like "Hunterchads"?

Pretty sad seeing how popular this show was on here and then see the threads turn to shit the second it became mainstream. This place really is full of contrarian hipsters.

You can see this effect happening with kaguya right in real time.

>if your point is that Yuasa disrespecting the original manga is a good thing
How is it disrespectful when he's doing his own artistic take on a classic like Devilman. Where do you get the idea that fidelity to the source material is somehow the be-all end-all measure of quality? This is even more apparent in Crybaby considering how it doesn't try to fool you from the start about it being its own take on Devilman with the "Crybaby" subtitle.

>It's just not something you can really use to convince anyone who actually likes the manga.
Good thing I'm not trying to convince you then am I?

That was devilman for milennials, unlike the good ovas.

>How is it disrespectful when he's doing his own artistic take on a classic like Devilman.
When that "artistic take" is dropping all the themes of the original and adding in superficial teen-drama, then that's pretty disrespectful. Yuasa didn't try to understand what Devilman was about and to expand on it. He just took the brand name and some character and plot outlines to tell his own unrelated story.

>Good thing I'm not trying to convince you then am I?
What are you here for then, if not for making a convincing argument?

>Yuasa disrespecting the original manga is a good thing
How is it disrespectful when it stood on its own as an adaptation without being a simple retread of the original? You can cry about it being unfaithful to the source material all you want, but that doesn't somehow invalidate the execution of its own original ideas.

See

I disagree, and the fact that you're so beholden to the original makes me think you have narrow view of how adaptation work and function.

>What are you here for then, if not for making a convincing argument?
I'm here because it's Crybaby thread and I'm talking about Crybaby's original ideas? I'm here because you replied to my post crying about how Crybaby is "not muh OG Devilman"? Take your pick.

That doesn't counter my point , and all the ideas you've posited don't contradict the notion that Yuasa succeeded in the original ideas he was tackling. He may have failed your in your criteria of what makes a good Devilman anime but that's just as much your opinion as it is mine to think that he did well with Crybaby.

Crybaby was good, and it's been talked to death as to why. Only contrarians and nostalgiafags disagree, using the argument that "it's popular therefore it's bad" or because they can't into modern teen dynamics even when Devilman has teenagers in it.

it blazes through the story way too fast, the style is good and the soundtrack amazing but for example the first episode cover the entire first volume of the manga. i wish it was 2cour instead

Wouldn't be surprised if it was mostly to do with the budget. The budget was clearly hurting by the end given the animation shortcuts it was taking.

The amount of sheer autism and shitflinging in these threads alone make it one of the most unintentionally entertaining shows of the last ten years. It was pretty good on its own merits, but these threads are a wonder to behold.

Miki's death in the OVA = pure horrorshow

Miki's death in Crybaby = forced drama with sappy song

>you have narrow view of how adaptation work and function
Actually, no. I didn't want an adaptation that added nothing either. But you seem to think that no matter what you do, nothing would ever disrespect the original. And that is simply wrong. When you disregard everything the original stood for and replace it by utterly meaningless drivel, that is not a valuable addition to a franchise.
No Deviman anime has ever adapted the manga 100% faithfully, but nothing has shown as much contempt for it as Crybaby.

>Take your pick.
It's not for me to decide what you wanted to argue. You should know that.

>Yuasa succeeded in the original ideas he was tackling
Sure. But then he maybe should have made an original anime seen whether he could succeed on his own. Or maybe adapt Dawson's Creek or something that's more in line with his original ideas.

>that's just as much your opinion as it is mine to think that he did well with Crybaby.
Sure. But that's what we are trying to do here: An echange of opinions.

it's worse than ping pong and tatami galaxy tho

Its like you have a buzzword quota. Is the second paragraph a copypasta?

Yikes.
See

>buzzword quota
Just because those words trigger your fanboy autism, that doesn't mean they are "buzzwords".

Please, this is art: youtube.com/watch?v=LQi56q1h5N0

lol welcome to our discussion thread on 4channel. upvoted

the OVA from the 80s was better

>Devilman- Amon - Gruesome Deaths
I can imagine the 12 yo who uploaded this.

Attached: crybaby_funny_8.png (350x198, 83K)

>It's not for me to decide what you wanted to argue.
I didn't want to argue anything with you, I just chimed in my thoughts about why I liked Crybaby. You decided to argue about the manga. You decided to have an argument with someone, not me. And then, when I stopped dancing to your tune you act like you're not the one who started the argument? Right.

Also regarding this point
>But then he maybe should have made an original anime seen whether he could succeed on his own.
That's not how adaptations work and the fact that Yuasa even bothered to do his own take is more than welcome from artistic standpoint since it actually shows the different voice of creators and it's what allows us to compare his work with Nagai's. I'd rather have something like Crybaby having its own take on the characters than a straight up rehash of the manga with very little artistic vision. Most manga fans in the threads when Crybaby came out thought the same and you're blatantly in the minority.

Lol

in every single shot comparison you posted the OVA looks better, you're only proving my point

>when the MSPaint-tier adaptation has more sense of artistic direction
Kek. OVAfags BTFO

We know that Masaaki Yuasa is the greatest anime director of the 21th century, but who is the second best?

Attached: yui-thinking-about-clubs.jpg (640x480, 23K)

Quite amusing how Devilman Crybaby makes moeshitters and contrarians so mad. No amount of whining will change the fact that it's an absolute masterpiece, a true gem and easily one of the best anime ever made. I'm grateful to the people who worked to make this anime happen, watching it was an experience like nothing else.

Attached: tenor (1).gif (498x284, 2.26M)

>I can imagine the 12 yo who uploaded this.
A 12yo directed Devilman Crybaby

Who do you propose?

Kill yourself /u/shitter. Weak bait too considering this show has a dyke

obvious bait is obvious but still enough for Yea Forums

>no buzzwords here fanboy autist.
ill just go and watch my mainstream hipster netflix reddit catering cartoon then.
And the last two sentences, although i totally upvote them, are thrown around on this Croatian throat singing board so much that i'm of the opinion that these count as buzzwords too, buzzstatements even. Doubtlessly the concept to you wasn't an original one.

I remember the threads when it first came out and how a lot of people were openly praising it as a great adaptation, even storytiming the manga to keep the hype going for it. The butthurt surrounding it was nothing short of amazing.

Attached: Devil Dash.webm (720x404, 301K)

Would Anno count?
He's the other one who improved a Nagai manga after all.

Attached: maxresdefault(15).jpg (1280x720, 196K)

Crybaby lacks build up. Everything feels random. The characters are one-dimensional as fuck.

And, holy shit, the hug scene is the cringest thing I saw last year. It competes with Miki's death scene in terms of shitty writing.

Pretty sure that's the Cutie Honey Universe director.

>I didn't want to argue anything with you
>you act like you're not the one who started the argument?
Oh, so you think that arguing something is negative. Interesting. But I get it, you wanted to make a blog post, not an argument.

>I'd rather have something like Crybaby having its own take on the characters than a straight up rehash of the manga with very little artistic vision.
No one ever said it should have been a "straight up rehash". Again, you only seem to think in extremes. You can give your own take on something without getting rid of that original story's main themes. Yuasa didn't sign up to make an original story. He didn't sign up to make a sequel or prequel or anything like that. He signed up to adapt the original story. In those circumstances, he should try to leave some of that story's themes untouched. He didn't.

>Most manga fans in the threads when Crybaby came out thought the same
Really? Are we talking about the same threads here?

>Anno
>improved a Nagai manga
That bait is just too obvious.

>In those circumstances, he should try to leave some of that story's themes untouched.
Actually, no. He's free to do whatever the fuck he wants. Only in the anime industry there's this asinine entitlement of adaptions having to adhere to the original, switch to the movie industry and there are countless examples of films loosely based on the source material, if at all other than for the title.

>He's free to do whatever the fuck he wants.
Yes, and I'm free to call him out for disrespecting the source material if he decides to do that. See how that works?

>Oh, so you think that arguing something is negative.
Except you're the one who kept on pushing the narrative that I'm somehow the one who wanted to argue with you. Now that I called you out, you decide that I was being negative just because I disagreed with you? Fuck outta here.

>Interesting.
Couldn't have tipped your fedora any harder there, user.

>But I get it, you wanted to make a blog post, not an argument.
So now you're butthurt that no one wanted to talk to you? Okay then, glad I didn't bother reading the rest of your drivel because that's exactly what you deserve.

Ah, but that wasn't your argument. Your argument was that a director who adapts something should be faithful to the source material, which is obviously not the case as it's an anomaly of the anime industry to begin with.

>In those circumstances, he should try to leave some of that story's themes untouched.
Imagine being this new.

And we're free to disagree with you and think you're full of shit for having no basic grasp of how adaptations work. See how that works? :^)

newgrounds cartoon of the season

Holy shit are you trolling and trying to make yourself and your argument sound as whiny, misinformed and stupid as possible?

Crybaby was 7/10 at most but god damn

Samefag

>He signed up to adapt the original story. In those circumstances, he should try to leave some of that story's themes untouched. He didn't.
Watch more anime.

Attached: 1513389370771.jpg (262x206, 9K)

>literal non-answer
Looks like he broke

>Now that I called you out
Called out for what? For wanting to have a discussion? Are you literally retarded?
And no, I never said you were "negative". I wanted to have a discussion, you are the one who screams "I never wanted to discuss anything! Discussions are bad!".

>So now you're butthurt that no one wanted to talk to you?
No, but keep on misrepresenting what I wrote. It's kinda funny.

>which is obviously not the case
Actually, it is the case. Nagai adaptations in particular have largely been quite respectful when it comes to themes and characters. The obvious outlier before Crybaby being Anno's version of Cutie Honey (which still wasn't as bad in that regard as Crybaby was).

>having no basic grasp of how adaptations work
Well, seems you aren't that familiar with Nagai adaptations, are you. You can call me out for whatever you like, but it doesn't give your claims any credibility.

Wasn't me, retard. I actually don't believe anyone's "samefagging". Just that multiple Yuasafags are having meltdowns right now.

>Actually defending your honor while anonymously posting
>I-it's everyone else who's upset
Even if that was someone else making fun of you then you're still proving yourself a whiny newfag

I didn't read this lol

Well, seems it's you who's given up trying to make any sense now. Well, suit yourself.

If you can't even make sense of a simple three-line post then it's no wonder you managed to fuck up your 'analysis' of Crybaby so bad

>Actually, it is the case. Nagai adaptations in particular have largely been quite respectful when it comes to themes and characters. The obvious outlier before Crybaby being Anno's version of Cutie Honey (which still wasn't as bad in that regard as Crybaby was).
So now we're restricing the "rule" to Nagai adaptions in particular. Not only within the anime industry, but for all the audiovisual arts, Nagai adaptions are the exception that should ALWAYS be faithful to the original. The anomaly within the anomaly. This isn't retarded at all, no-no.

You decided to argue about the manga when I was solely talking about the show Crybaby. Then you insinuated that I was trying to convince you, a manga fan, when I wasn't. Then you reply with the piss poor excuse of "why are you here if we not arguing then durr???".

>Are you literally retarded?
Says the one who wanted to argue over the manga like an autist and then started getting butthurt when he was denied of it.

>It's kinda funny.
Careful, your fedora might fall off if you tip any harder.

>Well, seems you aren't that familiar with Nagai adaptations, are you.
Watch more anime, stupid Nagaifag.

Attached: 1514442967276.gif (346x261, 1.49M)

the originals opening sequence for the first episode beats half of everything made. the series wasnt good and crybaby looks bad. looks like that fucking train wreck cashern sins

crybaby doesnt even reach that 1.30 second clip from the start of the first episode. the ecosystem of demons eating each other and evolving and absorbing each other was perfect. no words just that for 2 hours would be the best movie ever

Ovafag please reply to my post

You're wrong because your post is disrespectful to God Nagai's Devilman. Even the OVAs did better.

Well, Casshern Sins is the most beautuful anime ever made, so that's quite a compliment to Crybaby.

Attached: 9nEgiXK.jpg (1280x720, 68K)

>This isn't retarded at all, no-no.
Careful now, he might say you're the retarded one for actually making sense of his nonsense.

Thanks man, based. See you next crybaby thread

Meant for

No, but as we are talking about a Nagai adaptation, those were what I had in mind making my argument. How about you start elaborating on which successful adaptations that weren't respectful to their source you have in mind and we see where that takes us?
Because so far, you have not made any substanciated argument at all. Screaming "No, you're wrong" isn't a sensible counter-argument, you know ...

>You decided to argue about the manga when I was solely talking about the show Crybaby.
I wasn't "arguing about the manga". I refered to the manga in order to make an argument about Crybaby.
When you wrote that it "managed to make a proper character out of Miki", I do see that as a good enough reason to actually look at the manga and compare the original Miki to Yuasa's version of her, that you revere so much. Why exactly do you take offense to me stating that what he did was disregarding her character and narrative function in the original manga?
Again, sorry for acutally trying to argue with you, but I could not have forseen that you are not interested in an exchange of ideas.

Because Netflix

>How about you start elaborating on which successful adaptations that weren't respectful to their source you have in mind and we see where that takes us?
Okay, let's start with an obvious one, The Shining. Successful by any means, despite being criticized by the author of the original himself for being unfaithful. But the examples are countless really.

>I do see that as a good enough reason to actually look at the manga and compare the original Miki to Yuasa's version of her, that you revere so much.
You claimed her character to be disrespectful of the original, when I said that those original ideas going contrary to the source are exactly what makes Crybaby succeed in its artistic vision.

>Why exactly do you take offense to me stating that what he did was disregarding her character and narrative function in the original manga?
You took the stance of equating fidelity to source material as a way of judging a work. I disagreed, claimed that Yuasa's original ideas elevate Crybaby beyond a simple rehash with little imagination. That's not me taking "offense", that's simple disagreement. You're the one who took offense to me saying that I'm not talking about the manga. Why is that? It's not like I shat on the manga when I pointed out how well Crybaby handled Miki's character. You're the one who insinuated that and after I disagreed with you and then your first instinct is to create a strawman out of my post.

>Again, sorry for acutally trying to argue with you, but I could not have forseen that you are not interested in an exchange of ideas.
>Seems you didn't get her character in the original at all.
>Well, if your point is that Yuasa disrespecting the original manga is a good thing, then that's your opinion and as such valid. It's just not something you can really use to convince anyone who actually likes the manga.

Nah really now? You're more autistic than I imagined if you really couldn't have foreseen anyone wanting to argue with you with that kind of attitude.

Lastly I'm not the same user you're directing your post at.

>her character to be disrespectful of the original, when I said that those original ideas going contrary to the source
To avoid confusion, should have been
>disrespectful of the manga

It was fine but the pacing was horrendous. From one chapter to other the world enters a global crisis and in the end there is an apocalyptic war that takes.....like five minutes. This show needed much more episodes.

Let me throw in "Edge of Tomorrow" as an example. Critically acclaimed, recognized as one of the few successful American adaptations of a Japanese work. All of that and yet, the ending goes completely against the original.

lol

>The Shining
That's your example for "the anime industry"? Why you guys screamed "newfag" and "Watch more anime"?
Well, anyway: While the Shining is a good film on its own, you can't deny that King and his fans have a point when they say that it loses some important themes and lots of characterization for its main characters. Of course, Kubrick still kept way more of the original than Yuasa did, but that's a completely diffent topic.

>when I said that those original ideas going contrary to the source are exactly what makes Crybaby succeed in its artistic vision.
And I said that that's an opinion you can have, but it won't work as an argument against someone who likes the manga. Somehow, however, that made you go on some long rant about how I'm a bad person for wanting to discuss things.

>your first instinct is to create a strawman out of my post.
I did no such thing. You talked about Miki's character in Crybaby - I brought up why I think it failed. Her character in Crybaby does not serve the same purpose as in the manga, and actually drops that whole theme connected to her humanity in favour of shallow drama. That was my point: Yuasa added nothing, but subtracted valuable parts of the manga. That's the problem and why I call him disrespectful.

>Lastly I'm not the same user you're directing your post at
Yes, I know. I forgot to quote preperly. Happenbs sometimes when you reply to multipole posts at once.

hey, there are also people like me who is it as a list to measure our penis against our very peculiar circle of irl friends

>That's your example for "the anime industry"?
Clearly not, since from my first posts I've talked about the movie industry and audiovisuals in general, and anime as an anomaly. Why are you so obsessed with limiting the scope of your assertions?
>Why you guys screamed "newfag" and "Watch more anime"?
That wasn't even me.
>you can't deny that King and his fans have a point when they say that it loses some important themes and lots of characterization for its main characters.
Actually they don't, as the movie is its own thing and had no obligations to follow the original. Later King personally supervised a more faithful adaption to the novel and it was a total embarassment.

>the movie is its own thing and had no obligations to follow the original.
Well ... that's where you can argue. It can be a great film and a bad adaptation at the same time. Just like the other adaptation you mention is a good one while being a shitty film. You can't blame anyone for pointing out that Kubrick had no interest in actually respecting the source material. Whether you consider this a good or a bad thing.
When it comes to Crybaby, I'd say it's a horrible adaptation and a mediocre anime on its own.

It can't be a "bad adaption" if it wasn't interested in being one to begin with. That implies that it tried to be faithful but failed, which is not the case. Makes about as much sense as claiming The Shining to be a bad romantic comedy. The fault is in the one making the claim for having misguided pretentions that nobody was bound to cater.

>but it won't work as an argument against someone who likes the manga.
Yes and I said that my post wasn't aimed as an argument against such a person and I didn't care for such an idea. Your point?

>Somehow, however, that made you go on some long rant about how I'm a bad person for wanting to discuss things.
Where did I say I that? Come on, point to it then, down to the quote.

Need I remind you of your first reply that already had a negative tone while presuming things about my knowledge of the manga when I was referring to anything but?
>Seems you didn't get her character in the original at all.

Yeah, I thought so. You were never here to discuss, you were here to prove your superiority over your understanding of the characters from the original manga even when I blatantly said that I didn't care for such an argument. Not my fault that I offended your feelings over the manga.

>It can't be a "bad adaption" if it wasn't interested in being one to begin with.
Well, it did obviously market itself as an adaptation. Both The Shining as well as (and especially) Crybaby. Both needed to secure rights to do so. And both used characters, ideas and plotlines from the original. That's what makes them adaptations. Whether the drectors were actually interested in making an accurate one or not.

Of course, sometimes being a bad adaptation makes something a good standalone work. I'd dispute that's the case for Crybaby, but that's not even the point here.

>your first reply that already had a negative tone
If you call that a negative tone, I might as well call your Yuasa "managed to make a proper character out of Miki" negative towards original Miki.

I get that wasn't your point, but you should understand that my point was not insinuating any "lack of knowledge", but werely pointing out that Miki's original character matters very much for the understanding of whether what Yuasa did was a good thing or not. I was basically saying that if you understand what Miki represents in the manga, you shouldn't fail to see where Yuasa dropped the ball when it comes to her character.

The intention of the creator matters more than the circumstances, often out of his hands, of collater aspects such as how the work was marketed. Same for the kind of things he gets to work with, few have the luxury to freely choose a project, and the artist making the most of the offer he was given is far more common. If the intention clearly wasn't that of making a faithful adaption, it makes no sense to call it "bad" for doing so.
But I think we went way beyond the original point, that was:
>He signed up to adapt the original story. In those circumstances, he should try to leave some of that story's themes untouched.
Which seems you contradicted yourself over the discussion.

Troll

>I might as well call your Yuasa "managed to make a proper character out of Miki" negative towards original Miki.
>I get that wasn't your point
And yet you took it that way. I wasn't even shitting on manga Miki, just saying that the changes Yuasa made were actually things I liked in terms of how it impacted Ryo/Akira's relationship.

>I was basically saying that if you understand what Miki represents in the manga, you shouldn't fail to see where Yuasa dropped the ball when it comes to her character.
And what are differing opinions? Ever thought that maybe something not aligning with your worldview might not necessarily be as clear-cut right or wrong as you think it might be?

The interactions between Akira and Miki were one of the better parts of the show, made them feel really close in a natural and not overly romantic way.

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-03-11-02h44m17s700.png (1280x720, 340K)

That's what I mean. It's a new element that makes Crybaby its own thing, and one I think it's better for especially since it played with Yuasa's strengths.

That's how I felt. It was truly an experience and I pretty much knew everything that was happening as I read the manga beforehand.
Probably watched the whole thing in one sitting and couldn't think about anything else for a week, while I tried to dissesct all the symbolism within it
Crazy ride.

You sound like you spend a lot of time on MAL

Masaaki yuasa mvp

Is 630 impressive for Neo-Yea Forums? I can't keep up. I thought it least 1k was respectable.

Overrated edgy trash. Masaaki Yuasa is a good animation director but his only entirely good series is Tatamo Galaxy

>having less than 10k
Pleb