What is it about cel animation that makes it so vastly superior to soulless digital animation?

What is it about cel animation that makes it so vastly superior to soulless digital animation?

Attached: 5.gif (500x268, 792K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DUy8GBNd46k
desuarchive.org/a/thread/171781123
youtube.com/watch?v=QJhWPAGd-3g
boards.fireden.net/a/thread/172240287
youtu.be/v2R7t2SUo3w
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Digital looks to clean and precise.

Nostalgia goggles.

What does this even mean? A lot of anime like Dragon Ball Super are still hand-drawn and it still looks like fucking ass.
The only "digital" parts about it is the re-lining, the colors, and CGI, but the actual animation itself is dogshit whether it would've been on cels or digital.

Attached: 32b426dd0bf300c619286bd29bf79481.jpg (1500x1000, 483K)

Due to computers mostly.

As someone who has watched a bunch of old shit this week, I can tell that you are wrong. Old animators were exceptional at drawing vehicles while the modern ones do them with cheap cg instead. However those old animators had zero interest in people (probably didn't even interact with real people much). Look at the pic you posted, it's not a character, it's garbage. Something like this wouldn't fly with the modern audience, animators know that and do good job at animating people.

>it's not a character, it's garbage. Something like this wouldn't fly with the modern audience,
How can one user be so boring?

Almost all anime is hand drawn, the difference is the medium where you draw.
Drawing and painting in the pixels of a screen doesn't give as good results as painting with organic materials in organic materials, specially if you take the lazy shortcuts you can do with the program like taking the bucket tool and select the area to paint. That's why illumination, coloring and shading looks like ass in digital animation if there's even any.
In digital you have to drawn strongly the outer lines of the characters too, while in wasn't necessary in cell, which make things more rigid and out of the image. Outsourcing a lot of work nowdays makes things worse too.

>Outsourcing a lot of work nowdays
As opposed to outsourcing a lot of work thirty years ago?

*blocks your path*

Attached: 1532056409497.webm (854x480, 1.92M)

Over animation, there's so much movement it's hard to keep track of what's happening.

>it's too good for me

This.

and he concedes

Too clean and precise. Everything lacks detail, it's boring. Flat.

I really fucking hate how many filters they use in this show. Makes me feel like I'm developing glaucoma.

pretty much this

>nostalgiaturd
CGI is the future of anime.

Man, from now on whenever anyone will post anything from Patlabor there will be an infestation of VEG fags. It's like posting a pony and suddenly there is a swarm of bronies.

Perhaps nostalgiafaggotry just got tiresome.

Look at how much detail and depth this has.

Attached: 1495415294049.webm (900x675, 1.4M)

So replace it with VEG faggotry? Yeah, that's so much better.

No one said anything about replacing anything.
Just unpeacefully coexisting.

I'd post a cherrypicking image to be funny with you but the last time I posted a non-anime image I got banned so fuck you.

More like INcel animation.

I am pointing out that you are doing the exact same thing and there is nothing peaceful about it.

It's an IP ban, who the hell cares.

Attached: 1496279791359.gif (500x281, 1.08M)

it really isn't that hard to replicate

Attached: 1477009812212.jpg (708x765, 61K)

I did said unpeacefully.

I am so fucking glad Yamamuro's banana hair is fucking gone. If there is anything to hate about that guy's designs, it's his retarded banana hair, now hair in Dragon Ball doesn't look like plastic again.

Which contradicts literal definition of coexisting ya dingus. Living peaceably is in every definition of coexisting.

This threads are giant meme anyways but then you think there might really exist people delusional enough to believe shit like

The lineart is honestly too wobbly, specially on that pin and the fingers.

so basically you jerk it to redline everyday?

Let's say you're right. You're now wrong.

Finally someone sees it too. It's obvious that it's meant to be a money shot, but Violet Evergarden's sakuga is quite poor in my opinion because show never has money shots of quality like that where the full body or even faces are visible. Overall idiosyncrasy in VEG is very very poor, it's too easy to spot when key animators switch and it left me with the feeling that Violet's nose gets horribly disfigured mid-conversations. Or maybe all characters suffer from Pinocchio syndrome.

Attached: HairyImaginaryArmy.jpg (1920x1080, 59K)

No need to get so defensive about your lacking diction, just don't skip your literature classes.

I've read somewhere that there is a physical difference on how colors are constructed, in cel the baseline is dark and in digital it's light, something like that

I mean it's very noticeable but I doubt most people even care.

It probably depends on what they are going for. I don't think it's hard to switch to dark baseline with digital tools, it'd be pretty much a difference between using white paper or black paper to draw.

Most people think that director of the movie/episode is the guy who drew the thing.

The side faces in most newer Kyoani shows look kinda disfigured and out of model. It's like they went from sidemouths back in the Keion era to white aliens with neandertal features, for example this shot doesn't look anything like Violet looks when she's facing forward.

It's nice, they're both nice, and you're not nice, you're a miserable pretentious faggot

Now you're just pulling some serious dunning–kruger shit.
People aren't that stupid and you aren't that smart.

Forgot pic, the facial features on a profile look way too strong compared to the mouth slits and triangle noses when

Attached: Capture.png (421x312, 179K)

>for example this shot doesn't look anything like Violet looks when she's facing forward.
It is most likely because it's just different key animator. That why I pointed out lack of idiosyncratic cohesion in the character shots, it's very very poor in VEG.

*looking at them from the front

>user is intimidated by german genes
froggies out

I am fucking serious, I realized that there are people like that when Devilman Crybaby got big and my friends were surprised it wasn't just all Yuasa.

Is there any technical advantage to using digital over traditional? I know it's way more convenient and faster, but the best animated movies and OVAs in the history of anime were still made back in the 80s and early 90s.

That is not german genes, those huge lips and big nose look more like black genes, she honestly looks like a man there.

Reminder OP image is an OVA/Movie

Attached: goto'd.webm (640x480, 486K)

Technical advantage? No.

Attached: 1493378480347.webm (640x480, 775K)

The 80's meme comes from economic bubble. People just threw money around because they had to spare. It also helped that there were many expensive formats and everything wasn't just digitized, so to sell those formats that have higher quality than VHS there were OVAs and shows made specifically to look good to sell more laserdisc or whatever players.

So? Most OVAs and movies from today don't look nearly half as good.

God this looks ugly. It's kind of uncanny valley because it has depth, it almost looks like a real person's face but then it has these gigantic eye balls.

1. Natural colors
2. Lack of digital post processing and CGI
3. It was shot on film

You have a very, very skewed perception of facial features. Maybe you watched too much flat face anime.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Violet Evergarden - 05 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_19.37.png (1920x1080, 1.65M)

Mostly coloring. Back in the day, something about the transfer process "dulled" the colors a little. They were aware of this and used very sharp, bright colors to compensate, but they still ended up a little washed out, which gave them a nice organic look.

also, this is totally separate from animation but I think character designs/art style is really devolving in anime. a show with mediocre animation but great art can trick you into thinking it looks good, a well animated show with ugly soulless art will always look bad.

Compare early Naruto (I know, it's digital) to the extreme lack of detail and shading in Shipuuden.
Shipuuden's art makes the original Naruto looks like some otaking-approved 5-tones-of-shading OVA in comparison.

Some random stockphoto model. People have lips and noses my dear user.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1023x682, 51K)

Violet still has a fairly flat face, the problem is that it doesn't match the extreme features she rocks when looking at her from the side. Notice how her mouth is a mere slit and the nose is just a triangle shade when facing forward. Now look at pic related, the strong features in the lineart match the facial shading.

Attached: Gy2PNc1.jpg (3840x2160, 581K)

It is not a coincidence that this scene is the one of the few that gets continuously reposted in these types of threads.

>a show with mediocre animation but great art
Unironically DBZ

Attached: 53levc.png (1023x437, 308K)

I'm so glad she doesn't look niggerish.
Might I ask where the light source of your picture is? He has shadows on both sides of his face but his left side is considerable darker.
He also seems to be either inside a cave or right next to a big rocky wall so it can't be two light sources.

This

I shit on digital a lot but it's more about the generational shift and changes in the industry.

I'd make Patlabor 2 webms but I can't encode webm files on my old ass PC.

Fuck off with this shit or I'll post her naruto running.

>watching anything other than silent movie in theater with live music

NO DON'T POST THE N-RUN

Wait, are you agreeing or disagreeing with that post? Image you you posted tells me you are agreeing, but words you pick say otherwise.

Dozo.

Attached: 1541834969752.jpg (360x432, 61K)

>digital
>soulless

Attached: g-self vs wuxia.webm (640x360, 2.82M)

post it anyway

Man, as a writer Tomino is a bit too crazy, but as a director he knows how to create a visually stunning show.

Iron Blooded Orphans and Reco aren't even on the same level.

I want the industry to do a 20 minute OVA traditionally like the good old days just for the fuck of it.

Attached: 2888a4ec6e0cd121a238946b93b55344.webm (480x265, 2.44M)

Disagreeing. Most people that watch anime regularly know the director isn't the animator in most cases.
Her facial features and design were made with realism in mind, as shown by the random stockphoto of a white model here . Even her eyes follow the triangular shape when viewed sideways instead of the usual oval shape anime has.

I prefer vinyl.

Her facial features are only realistic when looking at it from the side, otherwise her mouth becomes a slit and nose a triangle, and that's one of issues this reply chain is discussing, the other one being the shaky lineart.

Attached: Final Job 2 - Electric Boogaloo.webm (640x180, 2.78M)

Cool and all, but how much value do you put into visual directing?

Attached: 1545220936212.jpg (2880x2700, 1.25M)

This is just pathetic.

Did someone say "superior"?

Attached: 1529378109406.jpg (2880x1620, 677K)

Is Obito the proto-incel? He wanted to nuke everyone on earth just for a girl.

Watch some 60 fps edits on quality modern animation and come back and say that again.

>slowly charges attack
>enemy just stands still and waits
Unrelated to the topic of this thread but it's so fucking retarded.

Moshi moshi, is this the art threa?

Attached: 1545758238300.jpg (2880x1620, 1.99M)

>

Attached: 1525293681166.jpg (427x1398, 238K)

It made sense in Cell's case, I didn't watch DBS so I wouldn't know what that ayy was thinking.

Why is Pierrot so underrated, especially on Yea Forums?

That's a "yikes" from me.

Attached: 1522403848995.jpg (2880x3633, 2.34M)

It is entirely about how they use it. Cel animation didn't look all that in the 60s and 70s. It took decades for the art to become what it was in the late 80s and 90s.
Just compare how digital look in the early 00s to now, and there is a world of difference.

Just to assert dominance. Jiren is strongest being in the multi-verse, Goku in Super Saiyan Blue barely scratched him.

Because most of their good stuff is hidden among dozens and dozens and dozens of garbage and mediocrity.

Basically, to get to check out GOOD shit in Naruto you have to fucking put up with Naruto in its entirety. It just depends if you view 1 great episode out of 12 garbage ones worth it.

Not really, in order to make a compromise they added more features to her lips and chose a different style for the nose when viewed up front. I said it had realism in mind, not that it was completely realistic.

As for the lines yes it's noticeable if you focus in one part, just as some backgrounds in old cel anime unintentionally shook sideways.
But I suppose this is what happens when different people have to work on such line heavy cuts.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Violet Evergarden - 02 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_18.17.png (1920x1080, 2.05M)

Ahem.. *tingting*

Attached: 1546921202339.jpg (2880x1620, 1.63M)

>Just compare how digital look in the early 00s to now
Eh the tv aspect ratio has changed and that's about it.

Reminds me of this.

It's a damn shame really. We have good looking digital anime but the problem here is how lazy creators got.

Attached: FLCL comp2.webm (600x338, 2.96M)

soul vs soulless
youtube.com/watch?v=DUy8GBNd46k

Looks lifeless and artifical

It's not that bad

Attached: 1550681923760.jpg (5600x3150, 3.53M)

Unrelated but wet hair doesn't work that way.

Madhouse and digital animation peaked here, no question.

Stop digging your own grave with terrible images like that, they don't help to serve your point, they defeat you.

Jesus, this gives me late 80s vibes so good

I honestly think this looks good. Obviously there's a severe lack of frames, but what is there conveys the characterisation really well.

Yea Forums is a board populated by people who don't know anything, about anything. The people who pretend to like pre-digital animation will hardly know shit about pre-80s anime, and the people who stick to modern animation won't ever watch anything that isn't currently airing. To put it simple: There's maybe like 10 people browsing this board who actually consume animation from all eras and are smart enough to realize that all of them have merit. The rest pretends to be seasoned veterans when in reality they are nothing but complete newfags, posers, pseuds, or whatever other buzzword you wanna call them. Most are likely going to fit, given how they are the lowest of the low. At least the seasonal watchers have an excuse. The other clowns don't.

Attached: 1525834844384.jpg (2880x1620, 2.66M)

Not when they also made Redline.

And now show FLCL alternative, which is intentionally closer to the original. Oh wait, you haven't watched it.

Then I wish all digital anime looked as lifeless and artificial like that. I wouldn't have to endlessly bitch at how visually boring most shit looks.

No, they don't. That picture looks far better than most of the industry has ever produced.
You know it, I know it.

Attached: 1475885002190.jpg (1280x720, 456K)

Redline has way too high saturation, it's overrated. HxH is their magnum opus.

What we need is more high quality hentai

Love this post

I don't get why you couldn't replicate old school with digital. You can literally replicate everything in digital, it's something else. People not trying to emulate old school firstly (well, most of the time, see megalobox), and then budget probably. You cant compare those old ova shots to a rushed TV Anime production. Also, the styles changed and are less detziled. But this is not a flaw, just a matter of taste. And lastly, there are some gorgeous shots and direction that prove the aguzmtn of digital= shit wrong. But people live selecting the bad modenmrn stuff and good old-school stuff for comparisons

HxH looks like a tv anime. Redline looks like a film. The power gap is insurmountable.

As much as I am embarrassed by my love for Naruto as a kid, even as a kid I kind of always knew that it just LOOKS more interesting than most similar shows. Once in a while it looks very good even, but those are rare spikes rather than the rule.

The first movie blew me away and I was surprised not many people talked about it. The scene at the bar still looks really good to me.

Attached: giphy.gif (500x270, 1009K)

Kabaneri tried to some extent.

Attached: Kabaneri.jpg (3413x2880, 2.05M)

Still looks like shit, and it's the rare exception anyway

>That picture looks far better than most of the industry has ever produced.
VEG fags keep using this argument, for the lack of a better word. I don't really get what it's supposed to mean though, if anything it means to me you just haven't seen much anime.

To bad it was WIT and 80% of the show looked like trash, but yeah when it looked good it was pretty great.

>As much as I am embarrassed by my love for Naruto as a kid
You're quite literally an incel who lacks a character of his own. If you had a functional brain you'd a) not be embarrassed by it and b) realize that it's OK to like Shippuden, given how it's arguably the only serviceable battle shounen ever produced. The fact that you're so intimidated by what newfags think shows that you still have a long way to go. Might be time to finally rid yourself of those shackles. No other long running series has ever managed to produce these sort of production values. That alone makes it an impressive accomplishment. You can't compare a show that runs for 500 episodes, with an episode weekly, to a 13 episode one time thing. Stop allowing dumb people to dictate your conclusions.

Attached: 1551827427600.jpg (2880x2700, 1.34M)

Thinly veiled "watch more anime until you agree with me" kind of post. A non-argument essentially.

Nah, I've seen enough to understand what I'm saying. And unlike some of you nostalgia niggers I don't pretend 80s and 90s anime as a whole were as good looking as what has been posted ITT.

Attached: 1393504054633.jpg (342x423, 16K)

>What we need is more high quality hentai
this user gets it

Attached: 16cb7db55dc2f3404135c0fb974cf50f.png (309x357, 206K)

Oh no, don't get me wrong, what I am embarrassed about is HOW I expressed my love like cosplay

Why would anyone assemble an entire studio of 2D animators when one guy in a basement with a copy of Blender and an internet connection can get just as many people off?

Attached: MV5BMzk5NTIwNWMtMjEwMC00OGU1LThlN2ItOGFlNjkwNGM4MTZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM4MjM0Nzg@._V1_.jpg (720x540, 138K)

explain the difference between virgin and incel (nu-virgin)

Shut up Digi, you're not the only one that watched a lot of anime

best show ever btw

>me smart
>you dumb

There was a period from like, 1995-2000 when high-budget traditionally animated films were financially viable. We got Ghost in the Shell, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Spriggan, Jin-Roh, End of Evangelion...

That brief window of financial viability has now passed forever.

literally the same reason as cell

Last I checked it takes those basement dudes a month to produce a fifteen second long animation loop.

how fast would a billionaire's money disappear if he funded a full anime series with as much detail as 80s OVAs?

That's not a good thing though it's crisp, but it leaves out the depth of the analog.

desuarchive.org/a/thread/171781123

Attached: 1543998441741.png (2400x1728, 2.67M)

Digital anime has meme cinematography and lighting to make it look artificially good.

Attached: 1274671638741.jpg (640x480, 49K)

Cute doggo but stale meme.

Aren't we in the same phase rn though? Sunrise doubles down on movie like motherfucker even.

>Code Gayass movie
>New City Hunter movie
>Gundam NT
>Gundam Hathaway's Flash Movie trilogy
>Gundam G no Reco movie

And then there are
>Tanya movie
>Konosuba movie
>Kizumonogatari movies + just 2 years later Zoku Owarimonogatari
>Dragon Ball Broly
>Danmachi movie
>Konosuba movie
>BNHA movie
>Violet Evergarden movie
>Bunny Monogatari movie
>Osomatsu San movie
>Made in Abyss movie trilogy
>Kabaneri movie

All this is for 2018-2020 and it's ONLY counting movies based on TV shows.

>shounenshit
Yawn

Attached: Hyouka.jpg (9600x7560, 3.99M)

>dick arm

>difference between virgin and incel (nu-virgin)
You can be a virgin by choice. I know a bunch of people who are despite being 30. They've said that they'll wait until marriage since they were 14 so I believe them.
I don't even watch e-celebs and even I know that this fat hairy clown hardly watched any old animation.
So, were you running like Nardo?

You could probably get an OVA quality 1 cour show for around ten million dollarydoos.

>So, were you running like Nardo?
Yes

Modern OVA's aren't the same kind of product as old OVA's. Modern ones are often something like side stories bunched with the Blu ray disk to encourage sales. Old OVA's where produced as their own show with low episode count. The medium changed to from mostly everyone actually buying videos in stores during the video boom and then to a format meant for TV, with a standard 12/24 episodes, as TV became standard in most households. I don't actually know but I wouldn't doubt for a second that most episodes of older OVA's have more money, time and work put into them than most episodes of modern TV anime.

Then you don't know him, he actually don't like watching seasonal anime

Old OVAs seem like they were movie-tier productions.

He just watched every anime this season though

what you dont like ed,edd and eddy? I like the movement

Do people still not get that she's naruto running because her hands are made out of metal and thus too heavy to swing around efficiently while running?

If I had that kinda money I'd just pay a team to make porn videos

Attached: 0c8bc49d3e1ccf03c6a377ec136b0a8a.png (400x350, 179K)

No, because she manages to outrun bullets with them. You can't turn on and off sense of weight on a whim.

That's because they more or less were
When you're unbound from the strict and quick release schedule that Japanese TV and the production mill binds you to, it gives you the breathing room necessary to create a quality product. Go fucking figure.

An enemy missing his shots != outrunning a bullet.

>outrun bullets
Pardon?

I don't get why don't they do DBS like the upper pic. It's all in the coloring, it can't be harder to do than the lower one. Except for the lineart, that one I concede it's easier in yamamuro style since it's stupidly rigid and streamlined. But at least the colors could be done in Z style where everyone was whiter and the shading sharper.

It's because Yamamuro """"""corrects"""""" the colors too

I'm sorry but picking exact hues on the color wheel is too difficult.

fake

FLCL is also a "digital anime".

Had that been the case she would've ran in the straight line, she purposefully did a zigzag to outrun bullets as it is visible by actual bullet marks that landed right behind her feet consecutively.

Attached: 1547392576791.webm (854x480, 1.2M)

People don't have environmental toning either but it looks good.

Attached: [RH] Kotonoha no Niwa [DF6333D6].mkv_snapshot_11.16.jpg (1920x1080, 233K)

Money
Also watching a bit of everything is OK. I personally sample at least 1 ep of every seasons show so i'I know what the industry is actually like
And that's also how you have good surprises sometimes cause follow the hype and you'll only watch stuff like Franxx

Impact frames. Why did they stop using that? Those flashes of black and white at certain moments and the screen beeping really added momentum to everything. I can't be because of Polygon, I'm sure many other shows still used them besides dbz.

Also I like this gif. Contrast. Dbz had really high contrast and that was lost by choice on Super, it isn't a special technique it's just picking darker and lighter colors.

Attached: source.gif (500x281, 225K)

>soft shadows
NO NO NO NO THIS IS NOT HOW LIGHT WORKS I'VE BEEN TOLD THAT A SHADOW IS DARK, PITCH DARK IN FACT! WHERE ARE MY BLACK HIGHLIGHT HELP

But why would she ever run in a straight line when she's about to get shot by people right in front of her?
I get that she could've just ran straight to her right or to her left but then she'd eventually pin herself down behind a tree and give time for the faggots to make her client a hostage.

Yes it's absurd that she can do that but the fantasy compromise called.

Don't you think that predicting the trajectory based on the rifles positioning is a tad more plausible than her going mach 3 and outspeeding bullets?

Sure, but then don't go around assuming they actually took into the account weight of her arms when they've been ignoring it throughout the show.

She did both. Immediately after a parachute drop.

The switch from Cels to Digital unironically made me a mangafag, I barely enjoy modern anime nowadays.

youtube.com/watch?v=QJhWPAGd-3g
These two and a half minutes are better than all of DBS.

I think digital has its own upsides too.

But fuck me, I dread the day Atelier will get an anime adaptation, I can't really imagine a faithful anime adaptation of it with modern clean and precise digital animation techniques. I am fucking sure the dragon will be CG too.

Attached: 61ae411e858509a63d.png (2261x1600, 762K)

But they didn't ignore it?
She sprints on episode 2 while swinging her metal arms and quickly gets tired.

I kinda agree though it has more to do with Toei being shit. One Piece became unwatchable with both pacing and digital arc.

Don't get me wrong, there're obviously still few gems here and there. But I meant to say that it made me value manga art even more than before, as it's very unlikely that the art will alter as drastically as it's been the case with anime.

DBZ is seriously underrated in the animation department. We all remember it as that one anime with cool fights, but it was stupidly well done in the key moments.
If that scene came out today it'd be receiving animation awards left and right beating the most recent thousand-cubes scene.

Gundam Unicorn looks better. NT and Hathaway's Flash might outdo it too.

The scene is amazing in general. Good animation, but also great directing, voice acting and sound design. It was exceptional even for its time.

But then you have this shitŃŽ

As I said, it's on and off, assuming they actually took it into account is pure speculation. I assume they made her Naruto run just to save up money.

Attached: ElasticLighthearte.gif (280x158, 854K)

Attached: 1550658782717.jpg (2149x1209, 992K)

I feel like Trigger does a good job bridging the gap between cel and digital
It's a shame most studios just go for cheap digital and don't bother trying to make it look nicer because no one else really is

But there's tons of manga that are drawn digitally.

Buu Saga is beautifully animated. A lot of cool action and emotion too, and it was easily peak Yamamuro.

I think all the fights with kid Buu are underrated, you never know what will that kid pull next.

Attached: tumblr_o351oleKF61.gif (500x388, 1.93M)

He is inside the cave. If I remember this scene right there should be a moon and a light from their battle wagon or whatever their car is called.

Hello my slavic friend. Yes we could be cynical about it and just say they wanted to save time and money.

At least the argument of her arms being made out of metal is plausible thanks to the contrast episode 2 provided.

This is how nostalgiafags wished modern anime looked.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Animegataris - 11 [720p]1.webm (720x404, 614K)

>gets hit
>freezes in time and space until buu pulls himself
It's shit.

They want Wizard Barristers

>the filler fight got the best animation
I wonder why DBZ did this often

Attached: SS2 Goku vs. Kid Buu.webm (640x480, 2.95M)

Actually, no it doesn't, I don't really know what scene you are referring to. The only instance i remember her running there she flailed her arms just fine. I am not being cynical, I am just stating the facts.

Also, that episode had REALLY ugly CG chariot, I never noticed it before, but holy fuck.

Attached: 57995.jpg (1271x549, 162K)

This is so fucking bad, especially compared to actual combat animation like what you get in Shippuden. Holy hell, I didn't think battle shounen standards actually went up by that much.

>battle shounen
>standards
lol

Which makes sense because they use magic powers to fly and airborne kung-fu

>I am not being cynical, I am just stating the facts.
No you aren't Vladimir. By the time she reaches a third of the bridge in the picture you just posted she suddenly stops to catch her breath and then yell at the dude she was running after.
Very different to what happened later on the show.

You could blame it on the arms, blame it on the time she had just spent rotting in a hospital or you could be cynical and blame it on money. Fact is she got tired quickly during that sprint.

Favorite scene in the movie solely from a technical animation standpoint

Oh that? Dude, she didn't even break a sweat, I thought she just realized that couldn't be possible middle-way through or felt awkward about calling out to him in the streets. I guess you interpreted it, but they clearly didn't take weight of her arms into account, they forgot.

Also, that butt ugly chariot.

Attached: 57995.jpg (1280x720, 158K)

And there are also tons of more manga than anime

>didn't even break a sweat
No, she just had to drop and place her hands on her knees to catch her breath. She wasn't tired at all.
>she just realized that couldn't be possible middle-way through or felt awkward about calling out to him in the streets
Yes, that's why she yelled instead right. Not awkward at all.

What is it with slavs and being a lying sack of shit? Does cleaning toilets in Germany do that do you people or what?

Attached: tlss.jpg (853x480, 186K)

what about the choreography?

what is that from?

boku no pico

darling in the franxx

Violet Evergarden

Very mature of you, you clearly are a reasonable person to get personal during argument.

Also, does it not bother you that she did that for ONE SECOND, just one gasp and immediately got back to normal? That's not how out of breath people recover, she clearly wasn't.

I don't know, that whole season looks like shit, maybe the director of the episode got confused too or was too lazy to bother with this because it's easy to forget that whole scene exists, it adds nothing.

hunter x hunter

Again, so?

thats clearly rotoscoped 3 cgi and when that movie was made they used digital coloring so is not cel shaded.

Based and violetpilled

Now that you mentioned it literally ads nothing that we didn't already know. It was also cheesy and tropey as fuck

It's not up to you to decide how many seconds a super soldier takes to recover enough stamina to yell at somebody. She also got tired after trying to jump over the lake; she gets tired under enough physical stress period.
And it adds nothing because you don't want it to add something, adding something would mean they actually gave it some thinking as it became expected of their studio and that you're wrong. But slavs are never wrong.

Given the lack of speed and movement there isn't even an ounce of challenge to this sequence, hence the choreography is extremely bland, too. That's also why I think that there isn't much of a point in commenting on it since it wasn't intended to be challenging. Albiet I think that the sequence does a pisspoor job at depicting the speed of the characters. It's way too slow for instantaneous teleportation etc. But that has generally been a problem powercreep shonen suffer from. Beyond a certain point it becomes impossible to appropriately depict the combat.

>Challenge
in what regard?

At this point its not even about cels vs digital anymore. The right just lacks any kind of detail

>that shitty CGI sky
Fucking disgusting

Attached: 1538120176677.jpg (600x600, 110K)

The faster the sequence, the harder proper choreography becomes. If you have a shitload of frames to work with, then it is an easy takes to allow the viewers eyes to follow the action. I am by no means saying that anyone can do it, but it's still easier than depicting something that flies across the sceen all the time. And as far as I am concerned, given the powercreep in Dragon Ball, that's what should happen. It might not look good and requires a shit ton of effort to make work, but it'd be the right thing to do given the speed and power of the characters. As far as I am concerned, Dragon Ball has utterly failed in depicting its characters power ever since Namek. Characters are supposed to be a thousand times stronger than they were back then, yet the choreography doesn't really accomodate the powerboost. Ever since since the Cellsaga the foundation of Dragon Ball combat barely looks different. Why is that? Because choreographic something so fast and so strong that it's beyond our comprehension is hard, obviously.

What went so right?

Attached: what went right.jpg (1280x1138, 330K)

thanks for proving op right

>all 4 are cute girls
This is what's killing the medium.

So in proportion to how strong they are, is something like this more to your liking?

Attached: Vegeta vs. Recoome.webm (400x300, 2.94M)

I want a genga of this to see how many lines they needed to separate all of those different colors applied on her hand.

It's definitely better because it gives you a good understanding of speed while still allowing for your visuo-spatial ability to imagine the scale of the battlefield. The jump cuts work extremely well.

Good digital animation is really fucking good, like on par with cherry-picked niche old OVA animation good.
But it doesn't exist. because digital also allows for cheap fill-ins of more complex things, so it gets used for that instead.

It isn't the same shot though.

Attached: violet hands animation.png (1920x2196, 3.89M)

DBS was a mistake

post sakuga

We've come so far.

Attached: old vs new.jpg (3278x7430, 3.71M)

How is Kamille still the best girl 30 years later?

>this kills the nostalgiafag

TV animation is much better than the old days on average but nobody wants to burn millions of short OVAs anymore because they can't make money that way.

>picks two horrible examples and one decent for old
>picks the best of the current

I mean If I was assed enough to care I could cherrypick a ton of old shit that looks better than VEG, while also showing anime that came out in 2018-19 that looks like absolute ass

Just that there is a massive difference in what OVA's where back then and what they are now. They aren't really comparable and only similar in that they are both Original Video Animations.

Pierrot is inconsistent, they more than any other studio switch from QUALITY to good/great. When the show is slow/filler it will look terrible, but when there is something important they will make it look great. This style is actually a good thing for a 650 epsiode show like naruto where half of it is filler since its just proper budget allocation. Its not so good in modern day anime where true filler (anime original episodes/arcs to let the manga get ahead) and year round production schedules are no longer a thing. Pierrot is still not bad though, far better than JC Staff and Toei that is for sure.

Except the good old shit you'll find will inevitably have a lot of black and dark gray in it. It would only compare to the dark scenes in VEG but not to the richer shots.

There was quite a lot of terrible cg throughout its run. People defending the anchor scene always baffles me.

No one gives a fuck about movies based on an earlier franchise. Mostly everything mentioned earlier was original. Half of the shits now are pointless jew reboots like DB, City Hunter, Gundam, and Code Gayass. For Gundam half that garbage is in CG or live action. The other shit is all sequels to another franchise; fuck that garbage and just animate seasons that are actually 24 or 26 episodes.

>soulless
shit meme

I can see why this did so poorly in sales

How poorly are we speaking? Give me a number.

it sold worse than franxx.

Ok?
Give me the number for both and a source.

Attached: 1468554694075.png (329x290, 173K)

boards.fireden.net/a/thread/172240287

VEG was nice but is design and everything is overly done.
Very old and back then have a lot of appeal

Nostalgia goggles.

>stalker = actual sales
Those are not sales numbers nor a source.
Come on user, give me the numbers.

it says right there.

5,912 for franxx, 5,578 for VEG

But those are not sales numbers now are they, user?
I wonder what drives newfags to lie so much, do you people really expect to not get caught?

Attached: 1449644988019.jpg (598x598, 67K)

Digital isn't inherently like you fags make it out to be. Nowadays they just can't spend too much time as production values rose too much and jews gonna jew. As other anons pointed out, is quite easy to replicate organic thru digital.

those are sales. the number to the left is the prediction, the number to the right is the actual sales.

I can read just fine user. Those are 1st week numbers, not sales numbers.

Now post the sales numbers.

>Cel art is be-
Oh nonononono
youtu.be/v2R7t2SUo3w

Attached: look at his LIPS.png (1360x768, 1.2M)

Looks like it could be a doujin page