Revolutionary Girl Utena

Brainlet here, just finished watching this and need explanations. I feel like it was entirely composed of euphemisms and symbolism that went over my head?

Attached: 04. Revolutionary Girl Utena [BD 720p Hi10P 5.1 AAC dual-audio][kuchikirukia]v2-0001.jpg (960x720, 184K)

Did she have sex here?
What was that Akio dude's deal? In the opening of one episode there was cropped shots of Anthy getting dressed in front of him in bed. Was he boning his sister? Also was he boning that red haired dude too?

Attached: 33. Revolutionary Girl Utena [BD 720p Hi10P 5.1 AAC dual-audio][kuchikirukia]v2-0006.jpg (960x720, 194K)

Read Demien by Herman Hesse
Then a man and his symbols by Jung
Then maybe Death in Venice if you really want to
???
Profit

Watch the movie. It won't explain anything, but it will make the show seem much more straightforward in comparison. Also it's fun.

Are those long reads?
Forgot there was a movie, alright.

It's about freedom

Demian is a really short book, Death in Venice is even shorter and I starting reading it about 9pm~ kept reading until really late at night and then finished the morning that followed it. Most editions publish it in as part of a larger collection of short stories, just to tell you how short it is. Death in Venice is a really gay as fuck book though, it starts out non-gay and then there is a chapter of unbearable gayness but after you plough through the chapter the gayness calms down by 200%, still a really good book and it was completely worth reading despite the shota-faggotry. Philosophical, atmospherically Gothic and reflectant on the time period it was written in. Nothing actually happens in Death in Venice that between the narrator and the kid, they never even talk, if that comforts.

Jung is 432~ pages long.

i watched it along time ago, but all i remember is everyone was basically a retard.
also utena is a pretty cool dyke

It wasn't, but making you feel like that was important to it.

Low iq who can’t figure out patterns, how comeI understood it and several people had the exact same ideas as me after I watched it?

it's not really that symbolic. the main point of the series is that people are retards and get caught up trying to prove stupid shit to others, and it ruins their life and gets them raped by them trying to act cool

maybe the clearest cases are shiori and saionji. shiori is a materialistic bitch. in trying to prove she's better than juri, she gets raped after she gets in over her head. saionji tries to prove his masculinity and create eternal love/friendship to demonstrate to himself he has become an adult. he gets (maybe) raped, but definitely repeatedly humiliated.

ironically, the most catty bitch in the series is the only one that didn't get raped, and is actually probably the purest (nanami)

utena is the biggest retard in the series, user.

Demian and Death in Venice are like around 100 pages (basically novellas).
You don't need to read them to get Utena, but I'd recommend reading Demian anyway.

I'd presume that all of you were the same algorithm, or you showed it to a personal friend and were just so excited to give your takes to somebody who wasn't impressed enough with the show to contradict you.

>or you showed it to a personal friend and were just so excited to give your takes to somebody who wasn't impressed enough with the show to contradict you.
Nobody I know would ever watch Utena, simply because it is an anime that has lesbians
>same algorithm
Come on now, just admit you don’t know how art works

>it's not really that symbolic.
It really, really is. Ikuhara was heavily inspired by shuji terayama, and the symbolic style was taken from him. Read Hegel and Plato.

>Read Hegel and Plato.
Oops, that last part wouldn’t make sense without this picture

Attached: 4631A192-5261-4CA5-984A-D22663C02FAF.jpg (550x413, 26K)

I'm not saying there is NO symbolism. I'm saying that the series is actually fantastically DIRECT about its main points.

E.G. the only control someone has over you, is the control you GIVE to him, including illusions and societal lies you choose to buy into. If you fuck up, you get raped.

It's honestly incredibly fucking direct. Ikuhara really only uses symbolism to portray the inner thoughts of the cast. The message borders on beating a dead horse.

also, you're an idiot if you think you need to read hegel or plato to get utena. you sound like one of those "the philosophy of harry potter" cumrags

plato is essential reading and hegel is a nigger, but really have no bearing at all on utena

There's no need to read philosophers unless you're a brainlet that needs to have a system of values and truths dictated to you. Think for yourselves for Christ's sake.

The movie sucks don’t even waste your time

What the fuck does Death in Venice have to do with Utena? I’ve read this

I would understand if you’re comparing it with like, Hagio Moto manga or something, but I can’t understand the connection you’re making.

So everyone before the French Revolution was a brainlet because they had to have the liberal philosophers to influence it?
It is pretty egotistical to assume that you naturally know everything, you read and then you make your own judgment based on everything that you have read.
It helps because there a definitely references to it, Hegel’s dialectical materialism and the duels, Plato’s ‘perfect morality’ and the castle in the sky and “you do not understand the meaning of this room” is one big Plato reference (especially the Republic)

It links pretty well with Mikage and the rose bride, not just because Mikage is a pedo but because he sees ‘perfection’ in the kid and The Rose Bride is an embodiment of feminine ‘beauty’ as well.

Also Mamiya Chida dies of sickness, the references are pretty clear

you're talking like a fag

"voldemort embedding the final horcocks inside of harry's throbbing anus symbolizes hegels dialectic. voldemorts cock is simultaneously inside harry, but also as his semen becomes a part of harry by being absorbed in his intestine, it represents a final synthesis"

only fags talk like this. that's you.

as for that quote, I don't remember anyone ever saying that. and certainly ikuhara puts lots of easter eggs into everything he makes, but none of it is relevant to the main theme: being "a guide for 15 year old japanese girls on not getting raped by guys pretending to be cool"

you're not smart, and your literature degree makes your parents ashamed of you

>utena is the biggest retard
i didnt say she wasnt, just that she was lesbian of style

just send a letter a to Ikuhara asking him if he intended anything that I wrote, if you really think he didn't write any references to these things.
> "a guide for 15 year old japanese girls on not getting raped by guys pretending to be cool"
Ikuhara is pretty liberal, I doubt that was his original intention for Utena

>as for that quote, I don't remember anyone ever saying that
Akio Ohtori says it in episode 32, during the final duel against him

cool. I guess you're right about that. you're still an unemployed lit major trying to cram his fucking major into everything he sees. stop it

I think being liberal, he'd very much intend to stop girls from being raped

Mmm, roast beef

Attached: DLSJV9PVoAYMAGH.jpg (900x1200, 230K)

I thought it was alright but the pacing was real fucking slow and very repetitive, first she climbs up and fights people, then a lot of those same people go into the elevator to become even bigger retards so she has to climb up and fight them again, THEN car guys comes to make them retards again so she has to climb up and fight them, also there's something about a burnt down lab thing on the second arc or whatever with a bunch of weird memories? I don't really remember what that was about, been a long time, plus the tower guy is car guy and he fucks Utena and his sister and everyone is sorta jealous because they want to fuck Utena themselves but she later realizes her lesbian feelings from car guy's sister and saves her instead or some shit, also mokushiroku every time sounds weirdly satisfying

the first time, black rose looks like the least good arc of the three

if you really look at it, though, it's easily the best

Man and His Symbols is misogynistic af. There's this entire passage where he blames a woman for getting raped because she decided to go hiking.

>It helps because there a definitely references to it
References are rarely important.
>just send a letter a to Ikuhara asking him if he intended anything that I wrote
Even assuming he gave you a response, he wouldn't give you an answer.

>The brown girl is literally a slave
>Brown girl is owned as property by non-brown people

Only Japanese can get away with this

anthy is japanese. her name is himemiya

anthy and akio are some sort of devas. hence the hindu markings. devas are often portrayed as red or black in china and japan

>he wouldn't give you an answer.
his bullshitting would be fun to read at the very least

I can't tell if I understood the main points of it or if I missed them entirely because of how much people hype up the symbolism and deepness.

>anthy and akio are some sort of devas. hence the hindu markings. devas are often portrayed as red or black in china and japan
are there any live-action films that portray them, I wonder how people would portray a live-action Anthy's ethnicity

in japan they had a musical. they just made her tan

it is pretty deep, but the symbolism has no part in it

in an age that encouraged sleeping around, turning females into males, etc, ikuhara said "actually, that's all self destructive. being independent doesn't mean turning girls into men. it means not believing society's bullshit"

I think that's pretty deep, bro

This is not the same thing. Consider this from the movie commentary:
>People often ask me Utena turns into a car. I try not to answer that.

>explain utena
Everything is symbolic for sex in one way or another. Everyone is bi and blue hair fucks his sister.

I thought they were curry niggers, hence the monkey and curry.

not likely. they have japanese names, are ageless, immortal, control magic, control people's memories, live in a realm beyond time (remember mikage) and are treated like buddhist spirits

painting them the color of curryniggers and giving them the currydot kind of solidifies the fact they're devas, but they're japanese spirits like 100% of everyone else in the cast