Why do haircuts get equated with character development in anime and manga?

Why do haircuts get equated with character development in anime and manga?

Attached: Screenshot_20190114-032103.jpg (586x745, 282K)

I assume it's some dumb backward ass cultural horseshit dating back to honorobu samurai

>in anime and manga

It's a good "halfway" point between character development and time-skip development.
It's also a low-risk way of demonstrating such development. Hop on over to BNHA, MC there has his arms fucked to dust with matching scars, to show his flaws that he has to overcome.

Women care about their hair usually.

Because it's a highly stylised visual medium

>his flaws that he has to overcome
More like his asspulls he has to discover

I know real books and movies are a little to real for you to handle, but those often employ something called "symbolism" where visual elements correspond to the characters or story.

I’d imagine it something like, you spend all this time growing your hair out and cutting a good chunk off is a way to symbolize “starting again” or “letting go of the past”

Still overplayed and dumb. They should do the opposite in an anime just to shit on it

>Girl-tan symbolizes her growing as a person by going to get hair extensions

It's a Japanese cultural thing you could never understand

>in anime and manga?
Don't be a retard.

How about no-one hops over to BNHA, because bearing scars when you have no reason to is incredibly edgy and sentimentalist, even for a hero.

Nips are mildly autistic.

no no, she should just grow it back out. hair extensions aren't even a subversion since they're fake

External change is an easy way to show internal change.

I thought his scars were because he was a retard and fucked his arms up too much to heal?

It's also a storytelling medium, so how about actually show the character has changed instead of cutting their hair and saying their character has changed?

>I know real books and movies are a little to real for you to handle
I got banned the last time my OP implied the topic applied to all media and not just mooncartoons, fuck off

No, he could have healed his arms fully at the time but chooses to retain a new scar each time he does something morally questionable as a "reminder" or some shit. Pretty stupid imho.

In ancient/medieval times in Japan people typically didn't cut their hair. Women never cut their hair. Cutting your hair was seen as dishonorable n shit, which is why in samurai movies/anime you'll always inevitably get to a scene where the MC or a female character gets their long hair or ponytail cut off in slow motion.

>in samurai movies/anime you'll always inevitably get to a scene where the MC or a female character gets their long hair or ponytail cut off in slow motion
Name 5 examples