It's been now over 20 years of serialization and it's more popular than ever

It's been now over 20 years of serialization and it's more popular than ever.

What's the key to its success? What does it do better than other long-running series?

Attached: 91Hk179d1CL.jpg (1200x1800, 565K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aFpYrEkEiNY
youtu.be/guNTZhYAID4?t=58
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Your mother

lore

What do you mean by "lore"- the worldbuilding and all that? Then yes, I agree.

tits

Basically by being dragon ball but having actual structure

Dragon Ball had it all, likable characters, sense of adventure, action scenes to be excited for, sense of progress and growth etc. but what it never had was consistency. No two arcs were alike, went from Journey to the West parody to traveling adventure to Dragon Quest style hero and demon king story to fucking space opera. It's why Super seem radically different from both DB and DBZ

One Piece synthesizes the light-hearted adventure of early Dragon Ball and the hot-blooded action of later Dragon ball much better than dragon ball's spin offs with a consistency and connected that makes it much easier to invest in the characters and world.

tl;dr: it's Dragon Ball on a boat

Because unlike other manga it's well written and the characters are fun

hey there are other manga that was well written with fun characters

they just all get cancelled (what's OP's secret?)

the manga is great, creative, lots of good characters, great drama at times.....to bad the anime has become a race to the end of the episode, theres not really any action besides two characters screaming out the name of some big finisher.

Successful marketing. People like it because it's popular.

This

This. It's trash that appeals to the lowest common denominator

Really I do want One Piece to end already

not because I don't like it or because I think it went on too long, but simply because if it dies it'll take Jump with it

Its really too bad DB was all over the place. I think the longest coherent parts of DB as a whole were probably the earliest chunk of DB, and the stretch from when Raditz arrives until the defeat of Frieza.

It happened some in DB/Z, but it feels like it is happening more and more, but one of the biggest issues with the Dragon Ball universe is the constant retconning and re-writing of the all the lore and origins of everyone and everything. Sometimes they're major things, too.

Anything that doesn't constantly rewrite its background from the ground up would be better.

Dubs confirm
I would also like to expand upon your post
I would say another thing one piece has over dragon ball that it actually has a specific end game it’s working towards and a overarching narrative
In dragon ball z and super every arc is really just some strong guy shows up and goku and/or vegeta has the get even stronger then said guy usually through transformation (big exception being gohan vs cell) and like you said these arcs are generally not connected to each other
Goku has no real clear specific goal or motivation aside from getting stronger and fighting strong guys
While in one piece luffy’s goal is made clear from the get go, find the one piece and become the pirate king. Luffy makes progress in achieving this goal in every arc getting ever closer to it and gradually building up a complete crew. Luffy gets stronger to help him achieve that goal
On top of the multiple story lines and mysteries spanning across whole series like the void century, what is black beard planning and how he ate two devil fruits, the revolutionary armies war against the celestial dragons where and what is the one piece etc

but OP is neither harem nor isekai

what anime do you like so i can talk shit

Lack of competition. Dragon Ball had ended for good by the time One Piece debut. It was able to fill DB's shoes reasonably well and portrayed itself as edgier than DB despite DB's much more overt sex and violence.
Now, though, it's just coasting on the momentum of being popular and begetting its own popularity. The art has gotten worse or not changed in 13 years. The adventure is too long and now has copypasta story arcs, and there is too much blue balling.
During Enies Lobby, Usopp was cucked out of defeating a powerful opponent and was described by the author as a weakling. Now, it's Luffy's turn and since he's the MC that is triggering people to the point of calling his super power " a problem".
Super raised the bar in a way One Piece hasn't responded. One Piece might be better written, but people were always only using it as a substitute for Dragon Ball anyway. When the real thing came back, One Piece took a hit.

retcons were due to lot of the settings of the arcs conflicting between each other

early dragon ball had characters with weird powers that you don't know whether they would destory the balance (as many threads said it's questionable if the devil guy would be able to kill Freiza), a Dr. Slump is a part of the world, bunch of scientists that can create superpowerful androids, several variants of gods (Kami, Enma, the Kais, etc). Piccolo Daimaou could just create minions at will that all look different but it's never elaborated with the nameks. It felt that every arc was in its own little world even the Pilaf arc and RR arc doesn't really feel the same at all.

People kept wanking on Oda's handling of the World of One Piece and how characters can even have development while not even in the main story or outright foreshadow key characters and events even as early as the first few arcs, but it really makes the world more solid and polished. When the creators wanted to "return DB to its roots" they had to deal with a lot of conflicting concepts and answer questions that originally didn't have much thought put into them.

>It was able to fill DB's shoes reasonably well and portrayed itself as edgier than DB despite DB's much more overt sex and violence.

it's not an "edgier" Dragon Ball, it is dragon ball
OP is anti-edge, it's downright noblebright, it's the manga people use to determine how edgy other manga is by how different it is to One Piece.

Everyone is still discovering the joy of embarking on the strawhats adventure, except new readers now have like 500 more chapters to read than I did before reaching weekly serialization. It's just as good as ever and it's always been the absolute must colorful world to dive into. If you somehow haven't picked it up yet you should really stop robbing yourself. It's just stupid fun

>OP is anti-edge, it's downright noblebright, it's the manga people use to determine how edgy other manga is by how different it is to One Piece.

One Piece is absolutely sanitized compared to DB but that doesn't mean it tried to portray itself as edgier than DB, especially early on.
The entire premise is that the characters are pirates, individuals who rape/pillage/plunder/murder, but they're actually free spirited adventurers and real pirates and corrupted authority figures are the villains.
Luffy in the early chapters was edgy in that he would punch friends and not help people in need until they begged for help. All the characters had some kind of sob childhood story. The villains like Krieg, Arlong and Crocodile all displayed extreme cruelty and resilience that propped them up as more dangerous, uncompromising villains than characters who could literally destroy planets. All of this was a farce, but it looked real, and that was One Piece's gimmick because for years nobody died in One Piece.

>Lack of competition
Spot on

>What's the key to its success?
Besides the
> being dragon ball but having actual structure
post, it's longevity and Strong World.
That movie combined with the Marineford arc going on really rocketed OP into legendary status.

And now we have death in the droves even if it isn't by the protagonists hands tons of fodder are mowed down in brutal ways the only thing Oda hasn't done is sexual assault

>it's more popular than ever
Except in America.

it never gave up on gags when a shonen ditches gags entirely for power up arcs it becomes unbearable

>What does it do better than other long-running series?
Marketing and being an overall decent battle series. The world is open enough that Oda can keep shoving new things into it without breaking anything unlike a lot of other longer running series where the ending is nowhere in sight. One Piece just keep having Luffy fight incrementally stronger people but he gets to do it in increasingly more bizarre and crazy locations and conditions.

The marketing aspect comes from WSJ and Toei milking this franchise harder than DB or Kamen Rider gets milked. Figures, a long running anime, There were annual movies which has slowed down a bit, Light Novels, frequent games, crossover spots, and constant pushing to make sure people never get bored of One Piece in some way or another.

I dont know i just really enjoy it

normies

Every now and then it feels fresh. New characters, Zolo not seen in years - stuff like that. It doesn't bore you to death all that often, only Fishman Island.

>super raised the bar
retard detected.5 mins of snakeman vs katakuri shit on the dbs special slideshow

I haven't been able to enjoy One Piece since Marineford. People may rightfully complain about Togashi's chapters, but every One Piece chapter now is crammed with small, detailed panels full of exposition, making them a chore to read. Every chapter takes like 30 minutes to go through unless you're speed reading. For as much as Oda tried to copy Dragon Ball, he sure couldn't get the pacing and page composition right. It was already a problem pre-timeskip but less pronounced and at least the plots were more interesting. Also the fights are really terrible now, again because of the crammed panels.

The best part about One Piece has always been the characters and that's what hooked people in before the world building got complex. But the characters seem like complete caricatures now. Compare Luffy of East Blue with Luffy now; Luffy in East Blue could actually keep his mouth shut. Now the only thing keeping people interested is the lore which is why every chapter feels like an exposition dump and why the only thing people get hyped about is more world building.

There's just something off about the series

Facts. Attack on Titan,Bleach,MHA,Yu-gi-oh,JoJo,DB,Naruto all more popular than One Piece here

Yes. That and never drastically fucking up.

That's because Americnas have shit taste and prefer edgy stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=aFpYrEkEiNY

cant even imagine why...
you guys fucked it from start.

Good balance of adventure, action and great comedy with very likable characters and lore/mysteries/worldbuilding sprinkled into the mix in just the right amount to tease the readers and keep the hype up.

Cope
Yeah I know about the censorship but the amount of episodes and the art style also puts off alot of people

You should mention atrocious VA's

should why? the censorship alone was bad enough

That I don't deny but VA's are also important. Remember how bad was Sanji? youtu.be/guNTZhYAID4?t=58

>The best part about One Piece has always been the characters and that's what hooked people in before the world building got complex. But the characters seem like complete caricatures now.
That's what put me off around fishman Island but punk hazard was better and wano . But like you said, I'm too hooked to let it go. I'll take the good character comedy moments I still get from time to time (wano was good so far) and otherwise read it for the lore.

Also I can't really blame the man for rushing a bit, I guess he wants to finish before the seiyuus die.

nobody there cares about stupid gaijins

>and it's more popular than ever.
I would strongly contest this

It is definitely the #1 of #1s but I feel like it was way more popular during the prison break/Marineford/Strong World period when it felt like One Piece was hitting sales that were astronomical

With that logic, Black Clover should be the most popular shounen ever

You completely missed the point. Dragon Ball raised the bar merely by COMING BACK. It has less to do with it being better or worse and more to do with One Piece finally getting direct competition again.

And it's already losing badly both in merch and anime sales. OP is only lucky the DBS manga is a monthly promo or else it'd lose that market as well

Attached: Dj_OoQlWsAAEnpm.jpg (1150x649, 123K)

SnK and it's better than OP by miles

Wait until the final arc happens. The "ending of the biggest manga ever" will have ridiculous marketing and attract tons of people who dropped it along the way, as well as convincing new people to read it. If you think the Timeskip era had high sales, just wait until the ending.

Also, I think OP's sales would look better if Shueisha actually included digital sales in their sales figures. But they don't for some reason, even though digital manga is exploding (especially in the West).

100% this
DBZ feels like it's constantly trying to 1-up itself. It sets new power ceilings with every arc, and as a result each consecutive villain feels less threatening. One Piece set a power ceiling early on with Mihawk and has done a pretty good job of sticking with it IMO.
>inb4 Crocodile
>inb4 Lor D. Coast

>cope
I really don't care, that's only a loss for you Cletus, here OP is the best selling manga.

>One Piece set a power ceiling early on with Mihawk and has done a pretty good job of sticking with it IMO.
Mihawk got dwarfed by the Yonko during Marineford and subsequent appearances. Being able to cut a ship in half stops being that impressive when people are literal forces of nature unto themselves. And that's ignoring the Admiral logias and Enel.

The manga is great but it got so damn dark.

But it was always "dark" ?

It's very professional compared to other shonen. There's a clear endgame, everything is connected and paced decently, and despite the memes relatively consistent in terms of quality.

>SnK and it's better than OP by miles
That doesnt mean that SnK isnt shit, Because it is.

Attached: Aiki-235107.jpg (409x535, 52K)

Got an actual argument?

Yes. its shit, simple just like u implied with OP.