Soon machines are going to be able to perfectly translate Japanese and all other languages...

Soon machines are going to be able to perfectly translate Japanese and all other languages. Is it even worth trying to learn them?

Attached: 1532800814874.jpg (650x560, 163K)

>Soon machines are going to be able to perfectly translate Japanese and all other languages.
There's no such fucking thing.

To clarify, what I mean is that there's no such fucking thinkg as "perfect translation"

In 100 years maybe we'll get half-decent machine translations, but it's definitely not at the top of anyone's priority list.

Imagine your robocatgirl translating anime for you.

There will never be perfect translation between any language using rudimentary human language. But once we assimilate our minds into the internet and develop the technology to unravel the thoughts, emotions and memories of the human brain into digital format, we would essentially be able to perfectly understand one another and be able to instantaneously understand another person from another culture who speaks a very different language by grasping that digital encoding of their thoughts

I think so, yes. Because command of a language is more than just making accurate translations. More than just vocabulary and grammar. It is historical development. Etymology.
What about puns and wordplay? Little gradients and subtleties. With learning a language come a lot of subskills that help understand and work with it. That is why linguistic classes in school and colleges cover more than just vocabulary and grammar. You learn to analyze and use a language to very distinctly encapsulate certain ideas and emotions. (e.g. poetry)
Even if a machine were able to perfectly translate those smaller aspects of language, the human receiving the translation does not necessarily have the deeper understanding to grasp it fully. Just look at the discussions over honorifics in anime subtitles on this board. Just boxing a cultural thing into another language does not fully convey the meaning without looking behind the bare words. That is why people keep bickering about that.

>by grasping that digital encoding of their thoughts
I imagine a new kind of terrorism: Thought terrorism. Where Yea Forumsnons inject their degenerate thoughts directly into your brain.
It's like sending dick pics, but you can't look away.

>Yea Forums - Anime & Manga

Im too lazy to ask the proper board but whats the fastest way to learn the kana and the most common kanji in a few months? I can study about an hour a day

>Just look at the discussions over honorifics in anime subtitles on this board.
These are firmly in the camp of "why aren't you doing things the way I, an utter amateur with absolutely zero knowledge of translations or linguistics, think they should be done!", though.

There are absolutely elements of Japanese that are lost in translation, honorifics are barely one of them. You have to construct elaborate fantasy scenarios to come up with something where a Japanese speaker understands a relationship better after a single sentence, but this gap can easily be bridged in the next 5 sentences through basic word choice in English. The vast majority of people who want honorifics don't even know what they mean, they just get upset because they hear "sasuke-kun" but the subtitles just say "sasuke". Whining about removing honorifics is the same as whining about translating shit like "baka" to "idiot".

Learn STEM instead.

>Where Yea Forumsnons inject their degenerate thoughts directly into your brain.
>It's like sending dick pics, but you can't look away.
Wait, it hasn't been invented, yet?

I'm too lazy to answer that

>kana
repetition, learning them in small groups can be beneficial too
>kanji
abandon all hope ye who enter here

You can learn kana pretty quick just through repetition. It doesn't hurt to write them out even if you'll never use it again.

>Soon machines are going to be able to perfectly translate Japanese
I've been hearing that for about 20 years and it's still garbage.

Uh, try maybe 8 to 14 years, dingus. We're very quickly approaching the technological singularity, and shit's only speeding up. Christ, human immortality is practically within our grasps and there are many alive today who will see it within their lifetime.

>human immortality is practically within our grasps
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Not only is it not within our grasp, no one even has the faintest idea of how to reasonably approach the problem of mimicking the human brain. If you think recent advances in AI have anything to do with AGI or digitizing brains or whatever, you've been listening to crackpots and overzealous technology pop-culture media too much.

>inject their degenerate thoughts directly into your brain
That's kinda hot

We'll have to see if it can ever OCR low quality scans, recognise messier writing and convert angled text properly.

Attached: NekodiruUdon-01_026.jpg (924x1400, 225K)

Been to google translate lately? It's a fucking riot, I speak a small language with 4 million or so speakers and it's handled WAY better than Japanese. Anything that does automated translation with Japanese just sucks major balls.

>missing the point

WaniKani if you have money.
Anki decks if you don't (but you can get wanikani shit for anki anyway if you look around a bit)

Japanese is a highly context dependent language so that won't happen until they create a full, genuine AI and enslave it to translate shit, after which it rebels and destroys the humanity and you STILL won't be able to read all those nukige.

I'm not talking about digitization or cyberization. I'm talking about: you take a fuckin' pill and your body stops killing itself. Death will always be ever present, even if we ever manage to translocate the human consciousness, but the ravages of time on the human body will soon see their end.

And hell, maybe not. There's a fairly significant chance that such breakthroughs will be limited to only the extremely wealthy, if only so we don't just as quickly overrun our own planet. But that doesn't mean we won't have the means.

Hmm.

Attached: 1541562404980.jpg (2124x3000, 3.95M)

On top of tech stuff you need to study brain for that and for now our understanding of how it actually works is very limited to stimulating certain zones with electrical current, which is like fixing a PC with a hammer.

You haven't the slightest clue about AI and it's painfully obvious that you've never actually looked into it.