Who is currently the best distributor of anime in the US? Who is the worst...

Who is currently the best distributor of anime in the US? Who is the worst? I'm interested to hear Yea Forums's opinions on this since buying anime isn't discussed here often.

Attached: FUNimation_logo.png (720x280, 142K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7QfJnAxucPg
youtube.com/watch?v=_VaVEhnaQYY
youtube.com/watch?v=2G5lY1JfzCY
themarysue.com/team-four-star-dbbza-definitive-dbz-dub/amp/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

All jokes aside, I'm only aware of Funi.

I don’t buy anime
Some people here buy Japanese release if they can afford it, to support the studio

Here's the worst one. Without a doubt.

Attached: 1200px-Sentai_Filmworks_Official_Logo.svg.png (1200x510, 26K)

From what I know there's Funimation, Sentai, Discotek & Rightstuf apparently has exclusive release rights to some shows (but they're turbo jews, just look at their online store anything that's Rightstuf exclusive is in the $80-200 ballpark)

My opinion is for you to fuck off.

Wow, rude.

All I know is that i miss the hell out of Pioneer/Geneon.

>dead label shoves a dead tv channel and dead magazine down your throat every time you start the dvd
weird feelings

Attached: adv-films-logo.png (500x260, 41K)

I raise you a Harmony Gold in this bid for worst, if only for their legal shenanigans.

Attached: Harmony_goldlogo1.png (615x477, 395K)

I need the details

It's all so convoluted but the crux of it is that they are the sole reason why macross and some other mecha weren't ever brought overseas. They've been hoarding the licencing rights for decades, and rather then make something of it they use it to sue any mecha media brought over to the U.S that have similar designs to the ones they hold the rights to. It won't expire until 2022.

Attached: basara.gif (500x370, 2.07M)

You have no idea how cathartic it was to see them get barred from fucking with Battletech ever again last year. 22 years I'd been waiting for that and stopped believing it would ever happen. It was better than Christmas or my birthday.

Attached: 1409791224969.jpg (720x480, 81K)

Not the worst but
>The MiA dub
still

funimation is Yuden-Prime the true state of zion rebirth.

Jesus, easily the worst company in this thread so far but I'm not sure if they even count if they've only been hoarding IP's and releasing nothing at all.

what was wrong with it?

Bible Black tier acting.

I don't know. Whichever shipping company does most importing of goods to the US from Japan.

They still make Robotech comic books. Like, new ones. It's kinda bizarre. The biggest thing they ever did was a movie back in 2007.

Fun Harmony Gold Fact: They were one of the first people to license Dragon Ball. They included a bunch of name changes though, including "Goku" being renamed "Zero." The one name change from them that stuck however was "Muten Roshi" becoming "Master Roshi."

youtube.com/watch?v=7QfJnAxucPg

Man this dub makes the show sound as old as it is. The Funimation dub actually makes it feel more modern.

Harmony Gold actually did dub this back in the 80s.

Attached: Vic-Hero 2.png (1276x1435, 2.66M)

is this the same group behind BIG GREEN?
>They included a bunch of name changes though, including "Goku" being renamed "Zero."
i dont know if anything will top uncle strangehead

Literally holding Macross hostage for years.

Nah, the Big Green dub came from some sort of weird re-translation of the French version of DBZ. Interestingly, while the Harmony Gold dub only went up to episode 13, they wrote scripts up to episode 52, which were used as the basis for the Latin America dub.

eh everything against him isnt unfounded. dudes hugging and kissing random 14 year old girls at cons. the VA coming out the most against him though is just a jealous hamplanet.

wheres the proof

>that stream with Nick

what a hardcore dickrider who wanted 5s of fame

hmph

who?

some nerd with five kids

One of the worst, yes

>buying anime isn't discussed here often.
I wonder why?

Attached: 1426096042947.png (329x297, 113K)

poorfags?

There's a buyfag general here, so no

>Who is currently the best distributor of anime in the US?
nyaa. And if you want to support the anime studios, purchase BDs and merc direct. Fuck these distributor jew faggots. I'm not letting a cent of my money go to those fucks.

I own the k-on box set, i'm still happy I got it but it's overpriced as fuck for what you get and the quality. The subs a questionable at times aswell.

Discotek is the best. Waiting for Harmony Gold to fuck off and let them slowly re-release the entire Macross franchise.

Attached: mac7emain.jpg (429x165, 27K)

Best is Discotek media. They specialize in putting out old and obscure anime. You'll get shit like Lupin, mazinger, Harlock, Devil Man, Ashita no Joe, but also shit like Monkey Magik and Project A-ko. . Their prices are also fantastic. Bought all 140 something of Fist of the North Star on SD BD for only like $40. They are the guys who put out the shit no one touches.

Worst is unquestionably Aniplex. Selling TV shows and movies for Japanese prices is fucking disgusting. Imagine selling a MOVIE for over $100. How can you even debate on what can be worse.

Viz is also not half bad.

Western distributors are irrelevant. Western anime releases are worthless except for the 1% of time they have something interesting like good quality physical reproductions of translated production materials.
If you want to support the industry or you just personally value collecting physical merchandise, Japanese releases are actually worth something. If you want to actually watch your physical media, you are always better off watching fansubs or rips of the same material, because there are always options that are anywhere from exactly the same (but more convenient) to much better in terms of translation, typesetting, video quality and everything else.
I'd rather spend $200 on a set of Japanese BDs for a single 1-cour anime than even $10 on Western releases of 10 times as much anime because anything is worth more than nothing.

All of the dub's voice actors are shit except for one

The same thing wrong with any post 2011 dub. Lack of good direction and talent.

YOU TALKING SHIT ABOUT ADV!
youtube.com/watch?v=_VaVEhnaQYY
thanks to ADV I am an anime fan!

I just want to do a RIP to one of the greatest anime distributors from back in the day

Attached: central park media rip.jpg (900x1165, 376K)

Reminder in two years Funimation and Sentai will go under.

Mark my words Vic is going to decimate the Eng VA industry and I hope he creates his own dubbing and licensing studio one day.

miss them, thanks to them we got Ergo Proxy and Texhnolyze. The best distributor right now is Sentai Filmworks and the worst is 4kids

Attached: geneon logo.jpg (1280x720, 31K)

>buying overpriced Jap BDs that don't even have English subtitles
Collectors like myself buy not only to display but to use. What's the point in owning something you can't even use. It's not like we plan on selling them since they are already too expensive to begin with. As long as the quality it good which most modern western reales are, then there's no problem. Buy what you like and watch it since you paid for it.

>Aniplex
I can speak for their figures at the very least, which are overall pretty good. They have some that a bit on the lower quality but overall not bad.

Are actually retarded?

So shilling is now the norm for this board, huh?

I do watch my Japanese BDs, but even if I didn't, the value in collecting would be better than the absolute zero value Western releases offer.
If I want to watch anime with English subtitles, I would watch fansubs/rips that have better subtitles and better video that are also free and don't waste physical space.

Aniplex are the biggest scumbags. Why would any sane human being pay their ridiculous prices. The day they go bankrupt and a better distributer picks up their licenses will be a good day for anime. Luckily most of the shit they own is not worth getting anyway.

the crisis of babies being dropped by their mothers is worse than I thought!

Attached: alita look.png (1167x800, 1020K)

Found a poorfag. You'll understand once you get a job. Hows that computer momny bought for you on Christmas?

Modern anime marking is so souless.

Attached: amazing-nurse-nanako-ad.jpg (900x1160, 425K)

>It's all so convoluted but the crux of it is that they are the sole reason why macross and some other mecha weren't ever brought overseas.

NO. They're certainly no help but the simple fact of the matter is nobody brings over Macross because of the sheer insane cost of the song rights. Even if HG lost the license (and they did) it would take some deep pockets to bring over any of the macross.

Attached: Macross 7 37(DVD) - (7cbce0da) Central Anime.mkv_snapshot_12.34_[2017.05.13_03.47.25].jpg (640x480, 70K)

>own LoGH
>tacitly acknowledge an iconic fan sub
>resub everything with different names
>stick it on some shitty streaming site
>box set costs a grand

Attached: WdJwZyJ.jpg (960x720, 117K)

Can't believe they use to sell DVD volumes for $30 . You would only get like 4 episodes. Now you can buy the complete series of Trigun for $20.

also blu ray when? Why are Madhouse such faggots?

I always found it really weird that the sub versions cost more than the dubbed. But yeah, man do I miss the old old days. Found some copies of animerica recently. Fandum sure was a different place.

Attached: Animerica_bastard-anime-Feb-19991.jpg (900x1159, 134K)

I said this on an /m/ thread but what I really wish to see more of is some actual details regarding the quality of re-releases of older shows. Any time you try to look up a DVD or BD review it's some faggot talking about the actual show, which If Im dropping money on already know I want to own it

worst has to be funimation, especially with the recent news

what recent news?

The split with Crunchyroll?

but crunchyroll sucks remember. they making that retarded show that is not even anime

The whole Vic thing

Yeah man THAT'S why crunchyroll sucks. If they didn't do that, I would still be subscribed to this day

>this thread is still alive

omae wo mo shindaru

I don't even consider "Aniplex of America" an American distributor cause they got like zero presence in the community and they're probably majority staffed by Japanese still.

Then leave, faggot. Go back to your moe thread.

>wo
>mo
>shindaru
>bumping this shit

Where are my collectorfags at? Show me your anime shelves.

>outbid Funi for the rights to NGE
>has a worldwide streaming license of NGE
>making a third english dub of a 24 year old show
Can anyone stop them?

Attached: 434952-netflix-logo.png (810x456, 16K)

Wait third? I know about the ADV one, which is frankly fine, I really don't see why you'd go to the effort of redoing it just so you can say you did.

ADV dub hasn't aged well. As long as they don't cast shitty VA's like Monica Rial's fat nasily sounding ass for example, the Netflix dub might actually be decent.

>ADV dub hasn't aged well.
The fuck does that even mean. That's bs.

>selling an IP to a streaming company with no intention to release physically
Netflix will never leave my shitlist. At least Funimation would've released a box set for $20 to rip scalpers a new asshole, but now that's not gonna happen.

Funimation made a dub of their own, and some people reprised their roles like Shinji and Asuka.
I liked ADV's Gendo. Funi's Gendo was bland. And you won't have to worry about that discount Kristen Schaal--Netflix uses California actors for their dubs.

WHAT THE FUCK, the ADV dub is perfect!!!! fuck Netflix. Also when are we getting an End of Evangelion BLURAY!!!?

Attached: evangelion lol.png (256x191, 53K)

There's a lot of stuff Id like to see get a bluray

Attached: Rurouni Kenshin_-_09_(Dual Audio_10bit_DVD480p_x265).mkv_snapshot_11.51_[2019.02.02_01.20.13].jpg (640x480, 50K)

>Calfornia actors
What are the chsnces they get Steve Blum?

I love Kenshin but the series is undoubtedly mediocre. 90 episodes of that shit

As who? Gendo, Kaji?

Get ready for Yuri Lowenthal Shinji.

>muh proof meme
Almost everybody who's worked with Vic says he's a creep. And the only ones defending him are literally who ecelebs who didn't know who he was until a month ago.

Literally anyone. I'd be fine if he voices Asuke
Thought about it, and he wouldn't be the worst choice. As long as I don't have to worry about him being voiced by Greg Ayers or Todd Habbercocknotalent, i'll be fine

>hugging and kissing your fans is wrong in 2019
People are pussies and I don't even like Vic
There's an old fumny Q&A video from years back that features Sonny Strait and based Johnny Yong Bosch taking shots at Vic. Sonny was hilarious in it.

>Almost everybody who's worked with Vic says he's a creep
and these guys are known for their lies and SJW bullshit, if they are at at least somewhat sane, i might believe them

EoE came out on BD four years ago.

>muh proof meme

Just trust us bro. He's a creep. Don't ask questions, just let us ruin this guy's life.

>Literally EVERYONE.

Attached: consider the following.jpg (600x600, 32K)

>asking for proof is a meme
what the actual fuck is going on here
this is the exact moment you need to step back and read the shit you post

normalfags think everything is a meme nowadays

There's a part where Johnny Yong Bosch says "Vic smacked my butt". Sonny responds with "he grabbed my dick" which is the funniest fucking thing. They even comment about how Vic is good at "doing teenagers"

youtube.com/watch?v=2G5lY1JfzCY

Nah bro, you can just blindly call someone a pedophile and ruin their entire career solely based off of hearsay.

even from a guy that's throwing tantrum just because another VA that voiced a same character as him is invited into a festival?

What if I don't like his shitty VO work and the fact he's a shameless bible thumper holding back humanity?

>I will slander this man because he believes in God

Bro, do you not believe women? Are you not an ally to all women everywhere?

Is that not good enough? Promoting fiction as fact is not a crime that can warp the minds of people? My bad

If you are serious, I suggest you seek help.

>Promoting fiction as fact is not a crime that can warp the minds of people?

Not that user but this is the perfect example of what accusing someone of something without evidence is. You have a bunch of people who just believe fiction as fact and it warps their minds.

user i know its hard to see sarcasm in the internet but really?

Attached: 1483537886647.jpg (1024x882, 74K)

Nice rebuttal.

I'm not seeing any sarcasm in his posts. Sounds like a standard catty Twitter reply.

it's just trying to make a point but as ridiculous as possible

Western anime publishers sell an inferior product and they are run by cancerous faggots. Even before >muh SJWs the people working at those places used to spout off retarded shit about "moe and fanservice killing anime" and other Yea Forumsirgin-tier opinions. Before Yea Forums became a glorified branch of r/anime it was generally known that the best way to support anime was to directly buy BDs or merchandise. One figure sends more money to a studio than whatever pennies Funimation or Crunchyroll give for their license kikery.

Funi and ANN are definitely up shit's creek without a paddle. There was a huge sale on some retail sites for theit DVDs/Blurays. This could be Funimation squeezing out as much as they can royalty-wise. If that's the case, then it's an indicator that they won't use their lawyers to represent the VAs and roundabout telling the VAs to save and lawyer up. They will be considered independent actors and very, very screwed as they will have to hire in some $400+/hr lawyer just to handle the disposition interview for 3+ hours. Never mind the electronic and other communications that have to be made searchable, just dumping the tweets and emails with them isn't going to cut it. Moreover, Funi, TGWTG, ANN et al have been farting around on social media all day instead of providing “info” to the police or lawyers. They’re making this shitstorm a cakewalk for Vic.

The full blown damage control from the #KickVic side is simply amazing to watch considering how quickly they're losing the narrative war and how quickly things are going to get serious due to everything that has been done. Never mind that this law firm's actual mission statement includes "being willing to go to extremes" for the clients that hire them. Which rather smells like they're going to compel disposition from a lot of people before deciding to pick their final, specific targets to hound till the piggy bank squeals and gets sent to slaughter.

And that is?

Discotek.

Funimation in second, then RightStuf/Nozomi Entertainment. Then Viz.

Sentai Filmworks kind of sucks. Aniplex is overpriced. Is Media Blasters even still around? I guess those AnimEigo Kickstarter releases are pretty good (still waiting for my Gunsmith Cats Blu-Ray). Then there's GKids, I don't have enough from them to tell.

Thanks for explaining the joke

Its funny that in Vic doing nothing, his enemies have flailed around and buried themselves deeper while he sits back and does literally nothing which makes him look good in the process.

The fact he said "All extra proceeds of my legal fund will go to Charity" is nothing but inspired as character building and endearment to people who were neutral to him before all this who got interested for whatever reason.

How is he retarded?

Attached: jerk off motion.gif (186x266, 373K)

I got a few sentai releases though a lot of them are rescues of older predubbed stuff. They really need to grab the MJP movie already though.

>Is Media Blasters even still around?
I think they did Queen's Blade.

That was because they knew the people that preferred subtitled anime were more "serious" fans, so they knew that they could charge more money. Also subtitled stuff was harder to sell in a retail space, so it was produced in smaller quantities. Not even memeing, that was why they did that.
Once DVD came around they tried that stunt again and people flipped out, so they finally started doing dual audio and subtitles on everything.

It’s not like I want to marry them. SJWs are always shooting themselves in the foot (and face).

makes sense. Niche products generally seem to run on the logic of fewer sales at a higher price rather than the reverse.

Ellen Page, is that you?

ANN was already doing poorly, they have been trying a "subscription" model to compensate for dwindling ad revenue. Imagine paying to read articles written by hipster faggots and fat girls getting mad at cartoons.

Lol.

I swear. The delusions keep getting worse.

It's kind of a shame really because they're one of the few pre wiki sites left. So it's either them or MAL.

Funimation may not even be around in a few years. Sony bought them to get their collection of anime licenses. Those plus Aniplex of America licenses makes it even larger. Those will all go in the anime section of Sony's streaming service they're working on.

I knew there was something wrong with ANN half a decade ago when I read one of their reviews and it was literally a 2000 word rant about toxic masculinity.

The only useful thing they do is translate industry press releases. AniDB has far more useful listings for general information about anime.

i'm devasted to find out the new City Hunter movie is licensed by Aniplex which means I wont own it for less than a hundred bucks. Seriously fuck Aniplex. Why couldn't have gone to Discotek.

You're right, ANN's articles and reviews were always awful. They did the SJW/clickbait thing almost a decade before people had coined terms for it. It was an anime website run by people that absolutely hated anime, people only went there to read upcoming announcements and rage in their forums.

That's a hell of a katana and fedora you got.

Yep. We live in a timeline where atheists are worse than biblefags

ADV films because they made the ghost stories dub

>proof
im not going to post videos of a 40 year old guy hugging and kissing underage girls you sick fuck, just look it up yourself.
its one thing if they were 18 or over, or even close to 18 but not 14 year old dudes come on with this pro pedophile bullshit dude.

Do you, or do you not have evidence of Vic doing the things you are accusing him of?

Funi has been going downhill for awhile, the worst part is them trying to inject western ideology directly into anime by rewriting scripts and adding shit that was NEVER in the anime.

ADV is dead son, absorbed by Sentai.

Man I really hate all this drama shit. Maybe it's my inner old man talking but social media was a mistake. I liked it better when we didn't know whatever everyone was doing constantly, when industry folk were shrouded in mystery or whatever interviews in vetted magazines turn up and when the hobby was about the hobby. Shitty magazines, early morning sci fi channel brodcasts, swapping crappy recorded VHS stapes and overpriced suncoast sections that sat next to the porn. When the fandom was made up of actual fans who put in the time and energy and not people who think they're otaku because they saw adult swim.

Attached: mehkoto.jpg (172x242, 24K)

being a TFSfag made them too carried away in making alternate script

I fucking hate "abridgers."

Shit, all of them, just like this thread.

everyone will get carried away and thought they are invincible after dominating a certain thing for a long time, Funi and TFS used to be good imo, and then turned to shit once popularities brainwashed them, making them act as if they are a big shot

You're not wrong, I still remember the 80s anime con scene that consisted of computer nerds selling fansub VHS and fanzines, and ex-military dudes that got into manga while they were stationed in Okinawa.
Social media and the western publishers hoping to get in on the "pop geek" culture bandwagon like comics have fucked up anime fandom beyond recognition by now.

Holy shit her waist

No you retard, stop using meaningless buzzword that doesn't have any argument value

Sucks that hbi2k got ousted. Definitely the nicest dude at TFS.

sticc

Is NIS America still around? I recall they did Toradora and it was in a nice big box set

Examples of Funi doing this in 2019? I could understand doing that 20 years ago but in the age of authenticity, I can't imagine them altering scripts. Maybe in the dub but certainly not the sub versions?

Weren't their subs for that atrocious? I don't think they do anime anymore. They still butcher video games though, RIP Cold Steel 3.

they did it with dragon maid, one of the VAs is a scriptwriter and dubbed in 'woke' anti-patriarchy' and other feminist shit into anime.

That doesn't mean they weren't the best, it just means the throne is open

Netflix hires Bang Zoom to do their dubs. So we won't be seeing any of the Texas pool.

There was also the gamergate line in the Prison School dub, because naturally a twitter slapfight belongs in an unrelated anime.

Hit donut meme is the major one, the movie is littered with little tidbits
>Have fun frieza!
>Gogeta calling himself kakarot instead of Goku
>Gogeta being surprised at dimension shattering clash when he did not say anything on the subs

Well that's your own fault for watching it dubbed. Also it's your own fault for watching a literal garbage anime to begin with.

he wants an example and the user gave it to him whats wrong with you?

There was a gamecube game I loved the fuck outta. Battlecry was the shit.

That user is thirsty for (you)s.

Attached: 1538949258644.png (1000x767, 689K)

A dub example. The hammy exaggerated unnatural voice acting is a bigger crime than the script being altered slightly.

>give me an example of a changed script
example
>well its your fault they changed it
hmmm

Attached: astra.png (512x348, 66K)

Media Blasters is still around. I would put them second behind Discotek for the few titles they released - they have had issues with using burned DVDs instead of pressed DVDs for retail releases but for the stuff I have from them there's a lot of extras on the discs. They recently licensed Hi no Tori.

i prefer mediocre voices than accidentally changing the plot due to alternated scripts

only in japan

The problem with TFS is that now we have a whole generation of memer twats who think that DBZA is the definitive version to watch. Everyone got so full of themselves they think they own the property. And nobody knows how Fair Use actually works.

Are you kidding. It is absolutely and unquestionably idiotic for someone to complain about unnecessary changes to the writing of an anime when they have no problem with the disingenuous performances of the English voice direction of said anime. It's hypocritical to cherrypick something without taking other major problems into consideration. Spare me another
>hurr durr he asked for an example and got one
response. It is invalid.

Bought a shirt from their site, it's actually pretty comfortable.

No one actually belives this. Even the guys who do TFS don't think this and the guys over at Funi aren't thinking about such ridiculous. since when is this about blaming TFS who made a decent parody and nothing else.

its absolutely and unquestioningly idiotic to ask for an example, get one, and then sperg out over getting one and trying to deflect over something not originally brought up. but you are doing it in the right place so kudos.

That's sure convenient: they're the one country whose releases are worth as much as literal dog shit.
Do you own the NGE Blu-Rei box? It's fucking marvellous.

J-LIST is the best US distributor. Also why is this obvious shitpost still up?

From what I have seen no one does. Everything that they have tried to use as evidence as been either turned out to be falsified or taken out of context to try and make him look bad. And the investigation by Funi yielded nothing but they still fired him regardless.

I remember the first con I went too was in 2004 or 5. It was at a small college and it was an actual gathering of fans and a handful of some industry folk giving talks and seminars and a giant vendor room. They had screenings of obscure stuff people might not have heard off that wasn't as easily available and stuff that actually helped define the industry. Then they moved to a convention hall and it basically just became a big to do aimed at a much younger audience and eventually you went from fans getting together to meet and talk to idiots doing meme dances like caramaldansen in the middle of high foot traffic areas because LOL WE'RE OTAKU!

It's a bad example. Unless the writing is being edited in the JAPANESE version with English subtitles, you might as well being watching a completely different product anyway since it's not authentic to the original version regardless of changes. What i'm saying completely ties in with the original issue user had.

It's amazing people are complaining about Funimation dubs being inaccurate NOW when they're more accurate than they used to be, but when you ask the same people what their favorite dubs are, they tell you its the dubs Funimation used to do that were SUPER inaccurate.

FFS.

They did redub it.

>this shit is still up
>CR thread is still up
>Yea Forums thread is still up
What the fuck are the mods doing?

Living in harmony.

your mom

I don't think they would be stupid enough to do it in the subbed version, the only thing that comes close would be Death Notes OP ningen FUCKER. But its still retarded that they sneak it into the dubbed version, repeatedly. Yeah you can complain dubs are trash and you'd be right but I don't want to hear about retarded shit never in the japanese version, minus things they need to localize that wouldn't translate over anyway.

Besides the rest of the Western Industry fuckery I still have an insane hatred for Geneon for all the shit that happened in the late 2000's. This has only been compounded by the fact that Eleven Arts acquired the rights to MGLN and released a single movie at small theaters and then has been silent on the franchise since. Despite another movie coming out and 5 fucking seasons needing a Western Blu-Ray release and 3 seasons needing some kind of official English release. In addition to the now 4 fucking movies.

It wouldn't be so bad if Seven Arcs continued to release subs on the JP releases but for some god awful reason they stopped and I think they were once again tainted by licensing out to an American company so will probably never see some of this stuff State side again.

Just because you're criticising it, you do actually understand what those lyrics in the OP are, right?

I think it's pretty expected to change somethings around when dubbing just for the sake of organic speech. But the idea should always be to capture the idea being presented either by the closest equivalent words or in a way that expresses a similar emotion. I don't even mind the occasional bit of glibness, but there's a real problem when you start dropping in references to popculture that don't fit. I remember the DXD dropped a horse show joke in a semi serious action scene,

You and everyone are just jealous that you can't kiss 13-17 years and he did.

Attached: 1408227430726.jpg (768x720, 121K)

Apparently Discotek Media had a poll months ago about potentially raising the prices for certain old anime in order to include a dub. Can you imagine Lupin III from 1971 or Dororo 1969 getting an official dub in 2019? It's insane. Those fucking madmen. Granted I doubt they'll dub a show that's over 26 episodes though.

>2019
>devoting any cognitive energy to English dubs of anime

Attached: 1550255505270.jpg (700x700, 42K)

I'm not sure if that could ever feel right. Old visuals with new audio quality is kinda jarring.

How'd the results go. Id be for it myself. Im still really bummed GaoGaiGar didn't get a full dub. My nephews loved the shit out of the first half but you try getting a 5 year old to sit down and watch a subtitled anime.

>TFW my nephew tells me he though new voltron was lame and that Ghaleon was cooler.

Attached: GaoGaiGar - 01 [720p].mp4_snapshot_13.30_[2019.02.10_02.37.26].jpg (960x720, 111K)

This is true but they did this with Lupin part 2 back in the early 00's and that turned out well even with the Americanized dialogue.Plus the cast of the part 2 dub still does new Lupin with the exception of Zenigata. I'll always prefer the original Jap VA's but I want to see how the English cast tackles an even older grittier verson of Lupin.
Most people were for adding dubs but Discotek hasn't commented about it since then.

What I really like is that they also tried to smear Nick (the lawyer). He works for himself, assholes! If Vic wins this, no matter how much they plaster that picture around Nick would say "Yeah, and I beat them outside the court."

It's been seven hours, don't bother.

Attached: 20190227_230956.jpg (1920x1080, 763K)

I need to get a new shelf. Mine was old, broke and now all my shit is in a pile my my tv.

>Funimation will die in your lifetime.
Despite the grave they dug for themselves, I do appreciate what they did for the dub of Dragon Ball Z while I was growing up. Wild ride.

themarysue.com/team-four-star-dbbza-definitive-dbz-dub/amp/

Can't see because it's so blurry but shame on you for owning trash like No Game No Life and Elfen Lied. It's also probably not a good idea to stack them on top of each other. The only anime i'm ashamed about owning are Vampire Knight (which I didn't know about before buying),Blood Lad, and DBGT

TFS may not think this, but their fans certainly do.

>This is the way to go.
>Not actually watching the show.

This makes me reasonably angry. At what point did so called anime fans not want to actually get invested and watch anime. It's like they just want to speed through everything get to the HYPE parts and then that's it. Longer running shows will always be met with some cunt asking where they can skip around.

Attached: annoyed asian.jpg (313x313, 36K)

Nice article from some random irrelevant site i've never heard of. How dare they make intelligent anime fans actually believe this!

>It's like they just want to speed through everything get to the HYPE parts and then that's it.
Just like most of the Jojo "fanbase" in the west.

>Now, this doesn’t mean I’m poo-poo-ing on Christopher Sabat or Sean Schemmel, who have done an awesome job bringing the characters to life for most of my childhood. However, now when I think of Goku’s voice, I don’t just think of Schemmel, but I also hear MasakoX/ Lawrence Simpson as well. They have both become my Goku
I can imagine Schemmel spewing hot, volcanic blood from his mouth if he read this.

I have the ADV complete collection that comes in the rei silver cardboard. I got it for like 30 bucks and today it goes for more than 100 bucks!!! i also got end of evangelion and the other movies life and death and they got for 80 to 100 but I still want end of evangelion on bluray

Elfen Lied is a classic. you are a piece of human waste for not liking it.

Attached: FUCKK.jpg (200x200, 14K)

No it's not, it's fine if you're attached to it because babbys first edgy anime but let's get carried away claiming it's good.

Jojo was never good. it is your standard battle shounen show with goofy exaggerated personalities. Even in the beginning, Jonathan and Dio are one dimensional characters taken from Saturday morning cartoons. What the fuck is the appeal and why should I see it as being different from other garbage like Naruto and Bleach which share similar structure. I can't even take it seriously at serious moments because everyone is so cynical in the sense that the performances are purposely hammy and over the top. Why should I care if they don't? The show is not even a parody.

Just because you were an edgy 10 year old at the time doesn't make a show good.

Nice samefagging

Sorry, this shelf is in a cabinet in the corner of the room on the ground. It doesn't help that the lighting sucks there to. There are a few from my collection I regret owning Elfen Lied is one, but I'm have zero shame in enjoying NGNL.

Attached: 20190227_230956-1.jpg (1009x1158, 824K)

I didn't even see comment at the time I made mine. If I did I wouldn't have shared a common opinion most people have about your shitty edgefest.

Pretty mediocre. Where's Bebop? Akira? Vampire Hunter D? Fist of the North Star? Why is it mostly moe shit? I'd expect to see the anime a grown man would have. Do you even own any Lupin?

>owns badly animated shows on blu ray
>owns greatly animated films on DVD
Who does this? That's like if I were to buy a blu ray of Steven Universe but also buy a DVD of Peter Pan

I literally got all these from a thrift shop in Baltimore a year ago for 10 bucks. Just cause I like picking up any anime on VHS I see. Crazy to think about the cost now.

Why were you looking for anime VHS tapes?

See you say that but a lot of Disney bluray looked like complete ass.

Attached: sword stone.jpg (1019x679, 250K)

Missing the point even though what you say is true.

>One figure sends more money to a studio than whatever pennies Funimation or Crunchyroll give for their license kikery.
This is flagrantly not true. First off, unless the studio is part of the production committee, they don't see a dime from increased BD sales or streaming rights. The same is also true of merch. And this isn't true of just the main contractor studio, but any studio or freelancers the contractor has worked with: background art studio, composite, key animation, second key, in betweens, or just outsourcing the whole thing. Even if the main contractor is on the committee, these outsourcing studios only get what the main contractor paid them to produce the elements or entire episode. Merch producers are not always part of production committees. Sometimes they are, or in an indirect way (such as Good Smile Company which occasionally participates, and also partially owns Ultra Super Pictures). If a merchandising company is not on the committee, the production committee only sees the licensing sale and royalty money. Which, again, if the studio(s) is not on the committee, it doesn't see any of this money.

Second, unless you think license costs are a few hundred $ per episode, the production committee is definitely seeing more money from licensing rights sales than a single sale of merchandise. There's still no point to buying the BD/DVD the western distributors put out unless you actually want it, or watch anime on a streaming service unless it can't be ripped somehow, but it's nonsense to say the studio gets more money from merch.

>buying western releases
>supporting western companies

After the backlash. Still did it. Still happened.

>Buying Eastern releases
>supporting Eastern companies who overprice their lackluster product and refuse to change for the better by putting more effort in the products they put out.
Can't wait to buy me that Japanese blu ray of Rosario Vampire which is sold in 7 volumes, $200 a pop. that is some healthy business!

Thank god.

That's the only business that affects what is being produced.

Exactly. You pay more for lower quality.

You pay to send a signal that you want more of it. You can download the same product for free, giving money to western companies does not affect the industry in any way.

You also need to keep the costs reasonable. Just because you WANT something doesn't mean you NEED it and if you're blowing Japan prices on shit then you have a problem.

Supporting Western companies means they can license more anime for the same quality but your paying $50 for a complete series instead of $500 that doesn't include subtitles.

What's the problem here? why would you not want more availability in the West? If you aren't a collectorfag, then torrent it.

All I'm saying is that if you want to support the industry, buy from Japan. Otherwise just download the BDRip.

It's not always about supporting the industry. Some people just want to own physical versions of the shit they like which is where Western companies come in. They are the ones who support the industry buy paying a shit ton to license the anime.

Sure, let's pretend the money from BD sales and merch go into a vacuum and have nothing to do with the success of a show or increasing the prospects for studios to get more work because they generate sales.

It's not my job to support shit. I buy the shows I want for my own amusement. They want my money, it's their job to entertain me. This isn't the business of gratuity.

Buy the manga volumes, you'll get a better product.

>who dose this?
Not defending him, but my collection is kind of in the same boat. For me it comes from being old. After you paid $120 for 6 DVD's in the 90's/00's there is butthurt over buying again something you already own but on BD.

After hearing the story's I'm about ready to buy the DVD's of the few Disney titles I want before they get premium priced due to being better quality than the BD.

>there is butthurt over buying again something you already own but on BD.

I don't mind updating my collection if there are better versions but a lot of the time that's not the case and it's hard to find information on when a new release is drastically improved

Only fags read manga. it's either anime or read actual books.

>TGWTG
wut

Shit, really? What happened to him?

>hbi2k
Which one is he again? I found the TFS guys to be obnoxious.Lanipartor is tolerable, but the Brit, the gay guy, and the long haired Nappa faggot need to an hero.

Ben, he does (did?) Nail's voice. Lani seemed obnoxious at first, but now that I know all the stories he actually seems like the most chill of the bunch. Taka breathes s.oy and Kaiser just comes off like an asshole in all those announcements

They don't. But you're a fucking moron if you think buying BDs directly benefits the studio. Do you think the studio publishes the BDs? Do you think they have to do with streaming rights? Guess what the bulk of this money goes to? Video publishers (Aniplex, Kadokawa Media Factory, Bandai Visual, Pony Canyon, et al) usually handle both of these things. And because video publishers frequently lead or are close to the top of committees, they're also going to see reap the lion's share if the anime is successful.
>increasing the prospects for studios to get more work
Nowadays studios take on too much at one time, between taking on offers from committees and subcontracting offers from other studios. Every major studio is booked for years in advance. It may help with the branding of the studio, being perceived as successful and a good driver of sales, and may lead to increased production budgets in the future, but they still don't see any more fucking money from that series they didn't invest in. A really sad example is Actas with Girls und Panzer, until Bandai just finally bought them out to churn out more GuP (which they've barely done that because Actas is a disaster of a studio).

It doesn't go into a vacuum. But buying the BDs or merch doesn't result in more money for the studio. Even if it did, most of the staff who worked on it--animators, production assistants, painters, composite artists, background artists--would not see more money from that and many of these elements are outsourced to other studios anyway. That was the point I was making, that it doesn't send more money to a studio than a western company acquiring the license. Neither send money to the studio unless they're on the committee. And unless a merch company is on the committee, the production committee gets paid a license and a royalty for merch, that's it.

The complaints would be a bit more believable if Yea Forums wasn't full of people posting their several hundred dollar donations every time there's a kikestarter.

I can't stand their Goku. Everyone else seems like they're trying to pull off their characters but I don't even know what they're shooting for with goku.

So what's everyone use for a player? I've been using a PS4/3 myself but kind of want to shop around for specific players.

>Let's make streams exclusive to an Amazon Prime US add-on!
>Too expensive? Let's make it exclusive to some Cable Channel's standalone service!
>What's that? Funimation just split from VRV because of Sony and their beef with anything Time-Warner/ATT related? Better join up with Crunchyroll then!

>Watching dubs of SoL

Don't do this.

Feels like worse could happen.

>I'm Krillin it

That brand of thinking is why dubs are inferior to subs. Sword Art Online, a literal war crime as a show is better than most shows dubs because of this laziness

Trying to be more Nozawa-like but Ocean Goku did that better

The show itself is irredeemable garbage no matter what language it's in, the quality of the english dub (or lack thereof) is kind of a moot point

Believe what you want Geoff

Cope. Elfen Lied is garbage on the level of Aldnoah Zero and Sword Art Online.

>Liking baby's first edge

End your life

Dubbies are silly subhumans. They believe dubs are good just because invisible guns aren't commonplace anymore

Irony and genuine stupidity have blended together

Dubbies are stupid. What else is new?

>what's the point of displaying your bd collection if its not the jp bd cover/box