Imagine being so far up your own ass that you think this was something other than pure schlock

imagine being so far up your own ass that you think this was something other than pure schlock

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7aToOckImfM?t=2069
youtube.com/watch?v=Y3ZezxsUUZY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have no need

True patricians enjoy the movie for superficial reasons like atmosphere and visuals.

she looks like a tranny

Attached: 1496030047945.jpg (1022x442, 106K)

Imagine being so shallow you can't even like an animation that makes you actually think instead of doing all the thinkin for you (e.g., HxH)

the only thing this animation wanted(explicitly and hamfistedly) you to think about was the japanese fishing industry, 'war is bad lmao' and to congratulate the director for being sad that god isn't real
this is how retarded you are, i don't want you to be this retarded, but it's not up to me

Imagine being so insecure about your own intelligence you need insult people because you don't understand why they like something that you don't.

"well, if you wanna make an omelette..."

What did he mean by this?

Attached: fuccboi.png (720x400, 290K)

Name your top 5

He meant you can't make good eggs without killing 6 million jews

>criticism is an insult

>imagine being so far up your own ass

I dunno, man. You sure know what "criticism" means?

>criticism
>The analysis and judgement of the merits and faults of a literary or artistic work.
>"you're a faggot with your head up your ass" == analysis aand judgement of a literary work

Attached: 1778776.png (474x300, 95K)

Not OP but.
Imagine being so insecure about your own intelligence you need insult people because you don't understand why they don't like something that you do.

if i posted the proof for pythagoras' theorem and punctuated it with ', you retard' would that also appear to be a wholly indivisible insult to you?
>you're a faggot with your head up your ass
is 100% of what i expressed in my post
you two are definitely not rabid autists

>is 100% of what i expressed in my post

>imagine being so far up your own ass that you think this was something other than pure schlock
Sorry am I missing some deep analytical undertext here?

Holy shit this is the stupidest and most ironic comment of all time

i called it schlock didn't i?
what did you say about this movie, user?
is this, what, your third post talking exclusively about how offended you are, and literally nothing else?
if i'm as bad as you think i am, imagine how bad you are

>"this is garbage" == analysis and judgement of a literary work

It'd be different if you posted an insult accompanied by an explanation for or proof of your claims. All you posted was the insult though.

You have shit taste

Jesus Christ user. Just admit you're wrong. Calling something bad is not criticism

Jin Roh really wasn't complicated, more or less a critique of single party hegemonies and how they actually lead to more infighting.

What was confusing about GitS?

GitS 2 was pretty heavy-handed with references admittedly. I thought they made good use of the basset hound to show how sad and lonely Bato's life is as essentially military surplus.

Really the latter just pale in comparison to S.A.C.

I liked it. I don't understand people that get irrationally angry at stuff that doesn't have a straightforward meaning to it. Not accusing OP of that but I've met people that do get angry if they don't understand something, either because they weren't able to follow it or because there's not really much to get in the first place. Angel's Egg is pretty surreal and vague but it's fairly short and has a relaxed pace to it. It also looks nice.

good work on erasing the 2. in front of your paste, but

>1. the expression of disapproval of someone or something on the basis of perceived faults or mistakes.
oopsie i have the internet too

if i were allowed one hundreth of the pedantry you have on display, i would tell you that criticism and critique are not the same thing, yes it absolutely was criticism, no, it was not literary criticism

>Imagine being so insecure about your own intelligence you need insult people because you don't understand why they like something that you don't.
i would have received this exact same post whether i would have simply called it schlock or if i had written a 5000 character critique of it
you know this is true because you see this exact bumper sticker reply pulled out in every single thread that criticizes literally anything, you know this is true, you are disingenuous as all fuck and part of the problem, be ashamed

>Patlabor diverging from source material
Oshii was one of the creators of Patlabor and was involved in the other works too. Patlabor has no source material. If you want to talk about what came out first though (which isn't a good idea because there's plenty of manga adaptations of anime originals that start before the series), the first movie came out before the TV series. Oshii was also involved in both, as well as the OVA (which had 2 episodes that were more in the direction of the second movie).

I'm not irrationally angry at it I just think it's meh. Even my Amanofaggotry didn't save the movie for me.

So let me get this straight. You come to a public forum created for the sole purpose of discussion and public discourse, and instead of participating by sharing ideas you throw a temper tantrum and shitpost like a child? For what purpose? How old are you? Do your caretakers know this is how you spend your time?

i get irrationally angry at people that use the 'it's not supposed to make sense' excuse

if it's surreal and vague why does it make commentary about the environment, the fucking jews and christianity

i'm pretty sure the reason you think it's good is because you didn't see how awfully preachy it is, and the fact that it actually was trying to say something

it says here on my Yea Forums user's guide that this is supposed to be a 'reply', but i don't see how what you wrote is replying to what i wrote, seeing as how i literally called out shitposting and antagonistic gotcha fishing in the very post you replied to

>bing preachy makes something bad
Heads up everyone, user the professional critic here has provided indisputable proof that Dostoevsky is fucking trash. Aren't we lucky to be graced by such intellect.

Even if it was, I can enjoy it outside of that. And it offers more besides that to enjoy.

what, exactly?
the postmodern theater bullshit, the talking heads, the imagery that was vomit-inducingly hackneyed even when it came out?
what exactly in this movie have you not seen before, except done a million times better?

>except done a million times better?
post examples then?

Diverging from the source material is based

>the only thing this animation wanted(explicitly and hamfistedly) you to think about was the japanese fishing industry, 'war is bad lmao' and to congratulate the director for being sad that god isn't real
Can one single person truly contain this level of retardation?

>why does it make commentary about the environment
It doesn't, you fucking imbecile.

Visuals are the only thing that matter in film

youtu.be/7aToOckImfM?t=2069
you are literally too stupid to understand this grade school symbolism?
it's a metaphor for overfishing and the collapse of the japanese fishing industry

Genuinely interested in what would be considered similar but much better, or better at all. Maybe Tarkovsky's films but they're pretty different?

see i think you're being extremely disingenuous
what exactly are you after? surrealist imagery? go watch a fucking music video by any musician that can be marginally considered quirky
somehow i don't think you'd consider those equal to surrealist film because they don't have the necessary big brain clout, even though they are literally the perfected form of surrealist film that doesn't torture you for nigh on two hours

>it's a metaphor for overfishing and the collapse of the japanese fishing industry
Ever heard of the term "Fisher of men" and how it might relate more to the rest of the movie than fucking overfishing?

first of all i'd like to point out that you're trying to justify a movie being good because it has a bible reference in it, and pause and think about

secondly, no, it has absolutely nothing to do with that, the images we are being shown are of a mob of background-colored people that are wholly possessed and characterized by the profession of fishing, shown obsessively chasing obvious shadows with mindless fervor
the shadows are a metaphor for the fact that fish likely don't exist anymore, and the fishermen's compulsive behavior is a metaphor for the apocalyptic viewpoint of overfishing as seen by environmentalists, namely that it will never stop; that is what the fishermen trying to harpoon shadows that look like fish tries to represent
yes, it really is that fucking stupid, and it sure as shit makes more sense than your interpretation to a quote from the bible that has the word 'fish' in it jesus christ

>Geniunely interested in movies similar but much better
>see i think you're being extremely disingenuous

I am curious what you think is better so I can check them out, not trying to be an asshole. What I mostly care about in Angels Egg is the atmosphere, art, and direction. Yeah I like surrealist imagery and sure I could just go watch music videos but why if I like this film? I want more like this specifically and I like the longer more drawn out, even slow scenes. It can be beautiful and breathtaking. Maybe you know some music videos I'd love? Wanna share them? I don't go looking for that kinda thing often, just watch one's from artists I already like. They also generally have a different feel whereas Angels Egg has very little dialogue, most music videos I've seen have none at all or singing. I can't really see myself being a fan of a surrealist film with a bunch of singing overtop, that sounds a bit obnoxious compared to the more relaxed atmosphere angels egg and other surreal and atmospheric movies I like.

Wa

>inspired by Euroshit films
That's why it was fucking garbage

i gave music videos as an example to point out that what you're asking for is entirely too vague and subjective to receive a reasonable response in the first place
are you actively seeking out movies with slow pacing, little dialogue and surrealist imagery, of any kind? why?
none of these characteristics confer value, they are all completely neutral descriptors of a given work, it's the equivalent of asking for recommendations for movies with the color red in them; sure, i can give you a list of movies that depict the color red, but what point is there to it?

>the pedantry you have on display
>i would have received this exact same post whether i would have simply called it schlock or if i had written a 5000 character critique of it
you know this is true because you see this exact bumper sticker reply pulled out in every single thread that criticizes literally anything, you know this is true, you are disingenuous as all fuck and part of the problem, be ashamed
That doesn't change the reality that you initially claimed you gave criticism

go back to your boku no capeshit containment thread

pointlessly arguing semantics for epic gotchas sure is fun times
replied only because quads

The lack of self-awareness in this OP is absolutely astounding. It's like he doesn't even read what he says, he just needs to prove everybody else in the world wrong.

Attached: coolnsmart-27636.jpg (600x400, 34K)

Thread

But I like music videos.
youtube.com/watch?v=Y3ZezxsUUZY

It's fucking good you nerd

What I'm asking for is what you said I should've already seen.

"what exactly in this movie have you not seen before, except done a million times better?"

The dark empty post apocalyptic but calm atmosphere with that absolutely gorgeous art style and sense of adventuring through this bizzare otherworldly place with little plot going on to take away from appreciating the scenery and details.

Sometimes I do activity seek out movies that are slow, place a focus on imagery and have little dialogue. Why? Because sometimes I like them? Getting really into the mood of a movie and having all my focus on the little movement or details captured is a wonderful experience. I can see why those things don't confer value to you, they certainly don't automatically give me the idea something will be good. I've just noticed I really appreciate some stuff like that, especially when I'm feeling more relaxed than usual.

There's already a thread about it but thought I'd mention it here; Arrow Video are rereleasing In the Aftermath, the infamous live-action movie that splices in several seasons from Angel's Egg.

For whatever fucking reason.

Attached: D0BLlAZWkAAS06u.jpg (961x1200, 334K)

I thought the first patlabor was pretty generic, although the whole pigeon scene caught me off guard. What was that about, anyways?

You denied that your post contained an insult which it did.

i did not, actually, but i fucking love what you just projected, you actually are trying to say that if you feel insulted it's not an argument, i fucking love it dude

desperate

I enjoy things for what they are.

Attached: 1549066367141.png (512x422, 231K)

>Patlabor 1
The fuck?

>pointlessly arguing semantics
Semantics is the point of any argument. They're what is at the core of any conflict.
>sure is fun times
More purposeful than pointless shitpost threads with the sole purpose of tring to insult and start shit with people that like things you don't and having absolutely nothing of any value or insight to say. Seriously what the fuck was the purpose of this thread? What did you hope to gain or achieve?

>criticism is an insult
This post implies that your OP contained criticism rather than insults which a lie.

i don't know dude, what exactly are we talking about here
blue tinted european architecture, stairwells and bottles, the thin lines on hair and shit which you see in tons of european animation from the 60s and 70s, generic mech, totally nondescript horror imagery, i'm not a fucking art critic but weren't even video games full of that shit? like contra and ninja gaiden and shit? there's nothing unique or particular about it, none of the backgrounds make you go 'woah that's textbook angel's egg alright'
the only thing that comes close to being unique is the faces, which are not particularly jawdropping, i'm not saying it has to be unique i'm just trying to figure out why you think it's so unique, it's pretty kitsch dude
i also didn't feel like it was an adventure at all, i felt like i was dragged through it, and i'm pretty sure it was the director's intent to make me feel dragged through it, not that i consider that positive or negative either
and again, movies that have slow pacing, focus on imagery and have little dialogue can range from a children's movie about having a nap on a lazy summer afternoon and heavy metal holocaust ultrasuicide, these are not good metrics, it's too subjective

Amano's artstyle is quite distinctive and don't think it's just the character designs.

Attached: popuko fucking idiot.png (499x338, 38K)

he doesn't do one particular style though
does speed racer look like vampire hunter D to you? does even angel's egg look like vampire hunter D to you? those are almost the same thing thematically and still look completely different

I haven't even watched Angel's egg I don't care if people like it or not. I was insulting OP for not understanding the most basic idea behind the consumption and creation of entertainment or art.

>an insult followed by a single negative adjective counts as criticism

Attached: 1334329164853.jpg (600x623, 66K)

your 'most basic idea about art' is the postmodernist notion that anything can mean anything to anyone; i'm not an insane communist
if you and other degenerates like you think that it is wise and reasonable to assume that things we like should not be explained then i have to tell you to kill yourself for the betterment of mankind
what is the FDA approved number of adjectives required before something becomes criticism?

I read a post defending Anno's inclusion of religious imagery in NGE purely for its "visual flair" and the guy mentioned that Oshii does the same thing with birds.

Are you the guy who thinks Penguindrum has an anticommunist message? Because you sound like you have a similarly low number of functioning neurons.

Attached: (you).jpg (540x405, 50K)

>postmodernism is insane communism
you sound like a /pol/ user who gets all of his knowledge from heavily biased sourceless infographics

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-08 Vol 3 Ch 22 (Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san) - MangaDex.png (289x397, 209K)

No, you enjoy them for what you think they are, as well as for what they remind you of taking your personal history into account.
Which is completely different.

imagine the low number of functioning neurons required to draw idiotic parallels between completely unrelated things because you see the same word in them while thinking that it's witty and meaningful

and you sound like a shitposter

>postmodernism is communism
Took you way to long to out yourself as a 2016 election retard. Next time put this shit in the OP so we know to not waste our time.

>what exactly are you after? surrealist imagery? go watch a fucking music video by any musician that can be marginally considered quirky
That's not surrealism, though. Stop using words you don't know the meaning of.

Not him, but I can spot an Amano design miles off. You probably just don't have a good eye for linework.

>postmodern bogeyman

>a dumb idiot with red scare levels straight out of the 50s has a hot take about a well-regarded anime with plenty of symbolism and argues alone against the entire board because he's too much of a stubborn motherfucker to get a clue and genuinely assess the anime through any point of view that's not his farcical communist post-modern cultural apocalypse of bad takes.
Which one am I talking about?

Oooo. I can tell when somebody starts calling me a postmodernist I know I've struck a nerve. I have no problem with explaining why you like or dislike something. I think its important to understand your tastes. From what I know about Angel's Egg I will probably enjoy it for its art and animation. Some people who don't give a shit about the visual aspects of animation will not like it due to it's supposed lack of dialogue or plot. But where does that leave us? People like and dislike it for different reasons, so how can we come to conclusive level of objective quality that we can label Angel's Egg with? Oh right, we can't.

And alright, sure. That's critisism. But it's poor critisism that shouldn't be taken seriously.

That's rich coming from someone who comes to Yea Forums to make "this shit sux ur all faggots" threads.

Imagine unironically using degenerates in a sentence.

Attached: 1400102253378.jpg (640x480, 52K)

Lol NGEs christian refrences really don't amount to anything significant, but they did have at least a surface level meaning (example, the angels names were in reference to their abilities). But with the birds, I feel like im not getting anything at all. Maybe they symbolise freedom or some bullshit? Because they were all tagged and in the same room?

what isn't surrealism? what did i define surrealism as? are you saying that angel's egg does not have any surrealist imagery or themes?
the art is just alright and there's hardly any animation to speak of, why are you assuming my only problem is with the plot, it doesn't even have a plot
are you sure?

literally only americans and canadians think communism is a joke
>well-regarded anime
critically panned though
>plenty of symbolism
is this supposed to be a good thing on its own?
>argues alone against the entire board
honestly most people here are just shitposting, i doubt they've even watched it, plus a number of people agree that it's bad in this very thread
>get a clue and genuinely assess the anime through any point of view that's not his farcical communist post-modern cultural apocalypse of bad takes
what the actual fuck are you saying? are you literally telling me to conform? i'm pretty sure that's not what you meant but you called me a communist, are you having a stroke?

>why are you assuming my only problem is with the plot
Notice I said "supposed lack of a plot." But you're right, why am I making assumptions? I'll watch it as soon as I get home from work in an hour and let you know what I think.

The movie WAS pretty deep but anyone pretending its in his top 10 is a poser
Its a visually interesting look into the mind of the director, but I don't believe for a second that the narrative "resonated" with anyone but maybe 1% of its viewers. And purely on a technical level its not impressive enough to make it someone's favorite either

You're gay

>biblical imagery
>bad things are bad
>the little girl symbolizes hope
deep stuff

OP getting absolutely blown out itt

>greentexty
lol dumbe

>what isn't surrealism?
>what did i define surrealism as?
>a fucking music video by any musician that can be marginally considered quirky
You can't even remember what you wrote in this very thread, retard.

>americans and canadians
Please don't lump us in with the Americans about anything.

>i defined surrealism as a music video by a quirky musician
what fucking winning combination of opioids are you on nigger

>but you called me a communist
:sigh:

This.

I don't give a fuck what it's trying to say. It just looks and feels awesome.

SEETHING

so then your experience viewing the movie would not change at all if the characters would verbatim recite family guy jokes, right?
i know your initial reaction is going to be that this is not what you said, but this is strictly, exactly what you have said

Alright OP. Here we go. I'm watching it. I hope I love it just to spite you.

Attached: 1542569634432.jpg (236x236, 12K)

This guy gets it.

Yes but if you're in high school, you'd watch this and think it's making you a special one for appreciating it.
Even though it's just a fucking pretentious nonsense.

lol retard

>the art is just alright and there's hardly any animation to speak of
I'm 5 minutes in and OP you are fucking BLIND.

Attached: 1547675359680.jpg (372x360, 66K)

this
watching this movie is like watching paintings, you don't need context to enjoy paintings

t. i'm so mad that everyone else has taste

you are proud that your ability to think critically is equal to that of an insect's? because you sound real proud
of course, you don't actually think that because you apply critical thinking with great prowess when we're talking about things you don't like

>cradles the egg like a pregnant belly
Hmm

Attached: hmm.gif (454x364, 682K)

I wish people would realize that when you fail to convey your DEEP message you have failed as director, not your viewers.
Looking at you Anno.

only 66 minutes left

this, only media pandering to the lowest common denominator can be considered successful

Desist.
It was a dark tale, one which will never be told again and will be forgotten by the future.

The memory of Angel's Egg belongs to me, Anonymous.

imagine thinking something as shallow and throatfuckingly heavy-handed as angel's egg is considered deep nowadays
hell most of the people in this thread think it's not supposed to mean anything lmao
neither anno nor oshii failed at delivering their message, sometimes the reality is that people are just fucking actually autistic and physically can not pay attention to anything that goes beyond UMI DA! in terms of narrative structure

user i need to tell you it's because of people like you that the most subtle emotion in anime nowadays is screaming

But the message in Eva is still talked about to this day. Not to mention the whole death of the author concept. Angel's Egg is somewhat more vague but people are still bringing up different interpretations in this thread. The only people describing things as deep are the people shitting on them. Mostly because deep is a bad word either these days or on Yea Forums. People look down on anything that tries to have any kind of message, even if it isn't obscure or deep. Patlabor 2 for instance.

>frequently places objects into lines or rows for fun
This has to be a high score in the world of autism.

Attached: line.png (712x476, 431K)

i don't agree with the claim that angel's egg is more vague than eva
eva's vagueness is at the level where you can believably make a case for its message being a total afterthought or an idea anno had after seeing the show himself
angel's egg uses so many biblical themes unironically that it's literally on family guy levels of reference, but people don't know what the fuck the bible is anymore so they don't get it

Bummer.

Why'd you think this is so bad as to call it schlock OP? I could understand people being bored by it If they aren't the kind of person who has unironically sat down and actually watched the clouds go by at least once in their life. But as far as art goes it was brilliant. I would bet money on whether or not it was a visual shorthand in the creation of videogame Bloodborne. And every bit of animation it had was flawless. You complain that its barely animated but any of it's cuts would put the highlights of any average modern show to shame. Fuck the fact that something like this could have ever been made with the level of professionalism and financial commitment it was is great. Overall cool/10 rating. Thanks for making this thread.

Attached: sad.png (712x476, 254K)

Angel's Egg is not postmodern.

Yeah, its premodern because it happened in the 80s and its 2019 now. Duh.

it's schlock because
>the little girl symbolizes hope
>literally christianity
>literally war is bad
>literally fishing is bad
>pacing that is actually going backwards in time
>pretentious
>juggling so many themes it's like watching a multi-car pile-up
>art and animation are just ok for this kind of high budget theatrical OVA
>wants to be surrealist yet fails to deliver any actually groundbreaking imagery, no, really, you've just watched it, tell me one single frame you'll remember a week from now that isn't the death star or something else that has been done before
>talking heads

glad you liked it dude good for you
no one said it was

The psychological themes in Eva are also fairly obvious if you pay attention. There's tons of terms used by Freud and other similar people. The religious imagery isn't the main source of Eva's themes.

there are no psychological themes in eva, all the themes in eva are existentialist philosophy; the whole psychology shit is a literal meme that came from the nips
the religious imagery is nothing but normie bait as well
people say a lot of really dumb shit about eva, especially on this board, don't buy into it

>me greentexting the themes makes them bad and the movie shit
>unironically using the term pretentious
>People talking is bad
>I don't like its imagery so nobody else can either
Are you the same person always shitting on Oshii? Because you're using most of the same terms and arguments.

>there are no psychological themes in eva,
The hedgehog dilemma is invoked throughout the entire series and tons of other terms and imagery link to psychology too.

just because they talk about some psychiatric term does not mean that the show is thematically psychological, because it isn't
the argument you're making now can point at literally any work of fiction with characters in it and claim that it's 'psychological' because the characters have personalities
evangelion is deeply philosophical, but psychology is not a part of the narrative in any way

>me greentexting the themes makes them bad
no, they're bad because these themes are explored at a depth my alcoholic uncle couldn't even drown himself in and with the subtlety of the fat load of cum i just shot a minute ago, which is probably the closest i got to experiencing oshii's fucking vision
>unironically using the term pretentious
>>unironically using the term unironically
>People talking is bad
'talking heads' is a figure of speech, pumpkin
>I don't like its imagery so nobody else can either
i didn't say that i didn't like it, i said that it wasn't groundbreaking enough to save the trash fire narrative, which it wasn't

Dostoevsky is fucking horrid. Angel's Egg is a rule of cool which has no meaning and only vaguely connects to biblical themes.

This is said about literally everything. How do themes even have any depth? Because if I listen to Yea Forums it doesn't seem possible, but that doesn't stop everyone and their mother from shitting on things they perceive as being perceived as deep. Being deep doesn't make something good and being good doesn't require being deep. I don't like Angel's Egg because of its "depth", regardless of what that means. I like it because I think its imagery is cool and because I tend to gravitate towards things that have some semblance of surrealism in them. Liking Angel's Egg doesn't mean I haven't watched surreal film or that I was hooked by baby's first surrealism or whatever stupid reply I'm sure you would have made. More of stuff I like is always a good thing, even if it doesn't do it amazingly or if it isn't technically new.

>'talking heads' is a figure of speech
Yes, a figure of speech insinuating that there's too much talking and that that's in some way bad.

Imagine having such base taste you can't appreciate Oshii's artistry.

>Dostoevsky is fucking horrid
t. brainlet
go read some summaries of nietzsche nd then tout a bunch of misinterpretations like the avant-teen cumguzzler that you are

you cannot put a high value on the things you like and a low or even zero value on the things you don't like when critically arguing whether or not a movie is good

That's pretty much what that user is doing though. Nothing he's said is any less of an opinion than anything I've said. He conflates depth with quality and uses terms such as "talking heads" or pretentious to put forth his opinions on why he doesn't like the movie.