Is there even a good shonen where the main character is a legit failure or underdog but manages to get stronger than...

Is there even a good shonen where the main character is a legit failure or underdog but manages to get stronger than his competition just through hard work and power of will ?

And I don't mean a shonen where the MC is presented as such but somehow gets a bullshit superpower immediately (Naruto, Black clover, My hero academia...).

At this point I'm desperate, the only character I have in mind is pic related but he's only a side character.

Attached: ZqdOaaBA_400x400.jpg (400x400, 18K)

Megalo Box was just a few months ago

Not shonen but, Rock from Black Lagoon comes to mind.

Plenty of sport shonen do that.

>is there even a good shonen
No.

End yourself you literal child.

Be careful you don't cut yourself on all that edge there user

Someone post that one C.S Lewis quote

This. Slam Dunk is kino.
That was shit.

You didn't say it had to be good, just that it exists.

kenichi.

Veritas kinda?

Attached: youspikedupmyeyebrowsyoufaggot.png (716x517, 140K)

Despite how fulfilling it can be to watch them start as trash, I enjoyed Kuroko more than many others.
>I can't self insert as trash

FMA?

No, because that's boring. There will always be someone who works harder, if the MC has no redeeming qualities beyond that then there is zero reason he should ever be able to survive in the fighting world; unless you enjoy watching a main character that needs to rely on others.

No because it is impossible for someone without talent to surpass someone with talent through hard work alone.

>ed
>underdog
Why not nominate pic related while you're at it?

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Banana Fish - 02 [720p].mkv_snapshot_03.53_[2018.07.14_06.57.32].jpg (1280x720, 124K)

Or a main character that has to think about how he plans things instead or just strongarming his way through every encounter
Or a main character who is simply a human in a much larger world and doesn’t have to be constantly given asspulls to be the strongest to exist and have the world revolve around hom because the plot demands he be special.

I don't watch gay shit sorry

You misrepresented that but Im hoping people understand without needing an explanation of what you meant.

Not entirely true, not entirely wrong. Just because people have sayings doesn't mean they are true.

Heard World Trigger is like that, don't read it though

But there are series like that; you just don't see them because they're slice of life.

How is that boring? From my point of view it's Mary Sues that are boring. Worst of all are characters like Deku or Naruto, who are legit dropouts in the beginning, but then either reach a point where they become part of the priviledged or learn that they're actually the chosen ones because muh prophecy or muh super hax broken lineage.
The only reason we see a lot of these stories is because there are a lot of retards who want to write their own personal power fantasy and because they lack the creativity, will, and writing ability required to keep the MC as an underdog until the very end.

Don't you? You sound the part.

Jojo part 1 and 2. Their strength come from pure muscle/hamon training and their tenacity and wits.

Even at the end of part 2 their enemy is literally 10 times stronger and faster but they manage to beat him with wits and luck.

Attached: 453725673738.png (350x453, 262K)

>said the one watching banana fish

How is that boring ? Lee was the best thing that ever happened in Naruto because he CAN actually lose. Those kind of characters are relatable cause the fights they go through feel like actual challenges..

Nobody grounds for the ultra genius that defeats everyone just by existing. Now that's boring.

I'm not the one who considers gay an insult here. Try something else, faggot.

Gamaran

Attached: images.jpg (554x554, 35K)

World Trigger

Rock Lee and his Ninja Pals

My hero

Ashita no Joe you unwashed little shit.

Lazy bait.

Not a bait. Stop being a rent free faggot

t. sasuke

???
How is Gama an underdog
He literally solo'd the first round

Only correct answer

/thread

While that may be true, there is quite literally no way to quantify either of those two parameters meaningfully, so they may as well be worthless excuses people tell themselves to justify giving up.

Joe is not an underdog. He is exceptionally talented.

Hajime no Ippo comes to mind.

history's strongest disciple?

Based. It didn't deserve that ending.

Part 1 Dio kind of sucked. He was reduced to just a head in a single punch

>There will always be someone who works harder
And there will always be someone who is smarter and/or stronger.
At that point you might as well not portray people becoming the very best because apparently that just can't happen.

Not shounen but check out "How I stalked some dude with an expose nipple and stumbled upon the Zenithian Sword".

Attached: C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_images.jpg (300x450, 29K)

Medarot and Angelic Layer maybe?

Jonathan is underdog only while being "teenager". From that point he could basically defeat anyone without much of a problem.( Not saying he didn't had any training but he never truly struggles).
Joseph is literal asspull master. That's not underdog.

You are not underdog when you are literally given strongest power in the universe for doing pushups and cleaning a beach for a month or so.

Yes, but the point was in overcoming a journey and being brave enough to not be intimidated by his bullshit tricks and just punch him

tbf part 3 Dio kind of sucked, nothing was at stake except Holly and she's off-screen 98% of the time

manaless asta the muscle wizard in black clover