Why the industry isn't switching to tablet drawn anime any time soon

A lot of people are hyping up tablet drawn animation as the right around the corner, next step in anime. I want to discuss a few points with you why that transition is further than you think.

>Drawing
When drawing for animation you draw a rough version, then you draw over it a cleaned up version to be filled in with the color bucket. While the rough stage may be more or less the same amount of time, if you choose to digitally ink your work, you are looking at multiple times the amount of work. If you ever seen or did digital inking you know how long it takes. You have to zoom in a lot, draw in a certain way, and are constantly redoing lines over and over again. For illustration it’s not as bad. For detailed animation like anime often is, it stacks up throughout the entire project. Especially if you are looking at clean vectors, it can be not only more time consuming than scanning and aliasing, but even more than inking on a cel.

>work
If you are working under one roof sometimes working with physical papers can be more comfortable. Not big but worth mentioning.

>cost
One of digital drawing’s original benefits was that once you had the program you never payed for supplies again. Now with more companies pushing for monthly subscriptions, getting pencils and paper for your animators is cheaper than paying for the creative suit for your animators. In a production of 100 animators that 10 to 50 bucks a month means 10 to 50 k a month in program fees. If we say each animator ran through 200 to 500 papers each and 10 mitsubishi hi uni pencils a month. That’s 200-500$ worth of paper for the whole studio, and 1000$ worth of pencils.

Just for animation
Digital 10,000$ at most
Traditional: 1500$ highball
[to be fair I excluded the fact digital need expensive hardware that is replaced every few years]

It’s not only more time consuming to produce anime entirely on the computer right now, it’s also expensive. This is why no one is hurrying anywhere to switch.

Attached: Duosb01UwAAbMKj.jpg (1200x959, 149K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2-0aucD8By0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Tablet Zoomers are rising Japan. It's pretty much gg.

Anime should just be black and white wiht no backgrounds

Considering anime switched away from cels cause there were literally no more cels left. don't you think it will take much more for them to switch when there's absolutely no incentive just because some kids are doing it?

anime should be just storyboards

I know it's a dick move to bump your own thread but I'm genuinely curious what Yea Forums thinks of this.

As someone who draws digitally I would not want any animators to have to go through that so it’s whatever

Yeah. it's the same thing from me. I started out digitally drawing but when it came down to animation I was finally feeling the difference and how much it adds up. A lot of my animation friends think I'm crazy to try pencil and paper today but the more I look at it the more it seems crazy to go fully digital right now.

Cool story bro, but yeah it's unfortunate.

>You have to zoom in a lot, draw in a certain way, and are constantly redoing lines over and over again.
literally just get good
do you actually think professional artists have the same issues than you
like one of the biggest talents of animators is their draftsmanship and the talent translates to digital

I figured that cels stopped being made because people stopped using them, not the other way around.

In 99 or 00 the only company that made the Japanese cels saw them as unprofitable and stopped making them.
Toey had been developing a digital animation softwear since 93 so when the cels were pulled everyone had to move to that.
The american cels apparently were too low quality to be used.

There's a grid to your tablet that's a lot smaller than the file's pixel grid, even in the best tablets.
You physically cannot draw what you draw on paper without zooming.
Nothing to do with skills. Literal limitation of the medium.

If you don't believe me that pros do the same look at yoh yoshinari's live drawing on youtube . He's doing all the things I mentioned.

Um, 24 inch Wacom cintiq says hi. Shit even my acer with it's 10 inch screen works fine with a second monitor to see the entire thing while I zoom on it. But I'm still bout to kick out 2 grand for that big ass cintiq.

Based 18 poster

Attached: 1523192279099.png (415x740, 1.17M)

Here's motheloving yoh yoshinari doing the exact thing I said
youtube.com/watch?v=2-0aucD8By0
But please, if you say you got a leg up on yoh yohshinari, post your damn work. Apperantly you are some sort of master craftsmen, right?

I'd be Krillin just to put a baby in that girl

Attached: 783247-dragon_ball_z___android_18_by_xti4n.png (1920x1200, 907K)

Do you really not see the benefit of zooming in to work on a specific part of the piece? If artists could do that on paper, they would.

I never said anything against zooming.
The problem is that you have to zoom due to the grid and inaccuracy of the tablet.
Also the guy in the zooming comment acted like you don't need to zoom if you are good enough where there's an actual limitation
There's a limit to the amount of detail that you can draw from zoomed out on digital, and subsequently having to be zoomed in most of the time to draw means you are doing several times the work. It's not an issue in illustration like I said, but when you need to have 2000 frames an episode those kind of things pile up.

The only thing I'm not convinced of is this part:
>There's a limit to the amount of detail that you can draw from zoomed out on digital
Got an example of this? I mean, technically there's a limit to the amount of detail you can draw on paper as well, except you can't do anything about it.

How long do you think it would have taken him to draw that on paper and then color it to a similar level? Do you think artists don't have to erase or start over with traditional methods or something? I didn't say I was better than your messiah, I said that a larger surface is easier to work with than your $50 Huion crap.

>grid

What grid? Also better quality machines reduce parallax a great deal.

The main appeal of using tablets and digital animation software is the capability for immediate playback - no time consuming line testing nessecary.

However OP is correct that working on paper is better for line quality, but his reasoning is wrong - it is nothing to do with the parallax effect of the tablet () but more to do with resolution.

For example an A4 page scanned at 300 DPI is 3508 x 2480 pixels. A similar size 13 inch inch cintq only has a resolution of 1980 x 1080.

If you draw on a resolution bigger than what your tablet's grid is you get a wobble where the grid was hit and where the line tried to complete the rest.
If you've seem someone like yoh yoshinari or sushio draw on paper they can pretty much draw the final lines on first draft and even when they are sketching they are lighting fast. you can see how fast he draws in the lwa documentaries, the guy's a lot faster than this.
Haven't even mentioned parallax in the original post. I do agree though. immediate playback is pretty nice, but it's at a pretty deep cost for the time. Sure you can't test every single line as you are drawing it but with the amount of time you save from not doing it digitally is enough that the benefit doesn't come close.
Also you can always tweak the lines later in digital. I tweak a lot of my work later in digital if I forget a line or forget a detail, it's perfect for those kind of fixes.

Attached: 3f298ff67ebbc7dca937056467faef6d.png (495x544, 22K)