People keep saying this is better than any film or series ever made. Is it true...

People keep saying this is better than any film or series ever made. Is it true? Isnt this anime shit just for you all to masturbate tho??

Attached: IMG_3865.jpg (1673x2560, 816K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Na2sMEYf
youtube.com/watch?v=-jerwm4ctkg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it is true. film historians will look back on eva and eoe the same way we look back on citizen cain and fred fellini.

>citizen cain and fred fellini
based retard

Fuck me meant for Guess I'm the based retard now

It is deep, but most people who call it don't even understand it and are just scared of looking dumb.

this.
Eva is simply about finding worth in life by sticking your dick in ripe young teenage girls.

the TV show can be hit or miss for a while, but the whole point is to watch the show so you can watcj the real kino, EOE

Attached: 1530316439834.jpg (968x909, 626K)

You're right. Virtually all of its depth is in exploring the psychology of depression. It actually isn't much of a character study and doens't explore philosophical issues much at all.

its value is more in the deconstruction of a genre (big robots, mecha). For example by having the main character being a wuss.

If you are not familiar with the genre its deconstructing you might not enjoy it much

It's a good series AND I can masturbate to it.

Attached: 1522843387751.jpg (1212x2087, 1.32M)

I was thinking more of the people who get hung up on the visual motifs like the christian imagery, when it's really only used as a fancy set dressing and has practically zero meaning as far as the show's themes are concerned.

Or it being a deconstruction of the mecha genre when Anno does his usual schtick of just copying stuff that's been done before and putting it all together, it only seems new to western audiences because they have never seen the material he's actually copying, although I don't think this ever got as egregious as it did with TTGL which was a massive ripoff of the Getter Robo manga.

I don't think it's just depression alone, even if that is largely contained with the main character; almost all the major character have some serious psychological issues as well, especially Asuka, and I feel like that in itself is a statement of the very Japanese attitude regarding mental illness; half the problems in the show would be solved if NERV hired a fucking therapist.

We don't even know that though. We have no idea what Gendo really thought of everyone else and how or to what extend he was manipulating them and why. Because of this we can only conjecture how things might have turned out if anything at all was changed. Maybe a 'better' Shinji would have hated his father much more.

Well that's why I did say only half. Didn't specify which half; a "better" Shinji might've still hated his father, but he might've also known that understanding and approving something are not the same thing. Besides, he wouldn't be the only person in need of a shrink; see Asuka's massive compensation problem and Misato's daddy issues.

It is true.
It is also true Asuka a shit and worst girl.

Attached: lawson_evangelion_rei_1.jpg (598x826, 143K)

The show is great for the most part, but the real masterpiece is End of Evangelion.

>masterpiece

Attached: evangelion zomg tumbling down 1452979010302.jpg (1024x640, 63K)

Ah, a man of taste and refinement.

Attached: rei_ayanami.png (469x667, 19K)

Am I being meme’d? I watch the series and EoE just because of Yea Forums. I enjoyed it but I can’t really tell why people would say this is the most important anime ever made. Granted, Ive only watched pretty mainstream anime but I would say Akira and even Spirited Away are way more important then Eva.

It's better than 99% of every film ever made.
It's not better than all of them.

It’s great but weebs who totaly lack any cultural baggage overrate it as a pinacle of art

Goddamn bitch, each a sandwich or something.

I hate how fucked up her torso is in this image.

Can I watch the film only

You have no idea.

Attached: DSC01131-Copy1.jpg (1200x800, 339K)

Eva's perceived quality largely depends on how old you were when you first watched it.

>DSC

Attached: 1523781916759.png (619x706, 429K)

pastebin.com/Na2sMEYf

Then join us. All Reifags unite.

Unironically end of evangelion is best kino ever made

>important
wrong word to use. eva is a pop culture phenomenon on par with the matrix or something in japan. it was massively popular as it was being released. i guess i'd compare it to LOST but even that doesn't really do it justice. it's much more important than spirited away, but no question Akira is more important than Eva in the scheme of things.

Spirited Away is probably my favorite animu ever but Eva did a ton for popularizing anime. it's just a watershed moment in televised anime. its quality (or lack thereof) is irrelevant to its importance imo

I liked Eva up until all the mindfuck shit in the last 5 episodes. I get it dude you're depressed. I like Shinji but he sucks so bad in those episodes lol. EoE was just ok.

It's not that good. It's just impressive and different. It tackles big ideas and looks amazing but ultimately it's just daddy issues meets big mechs and Kaiju.
The plot is nonsense.

This. The entire series seems like it's leading up to something and then the ending just falls apart. Too much shit happens in the last three episodes. Then the ending comes and Shinji chooses free will but everyone around him is dead. If the series was 27 or 28 episodes then the ending could have been smooth.

this is one of my favorite sequences in any series or film ever:
youtube.com/watch?v=-jerwm4ctkg

that said the show is a mess and the definition of hit or miss.

What if Asuka is a boy?

Attached: 814C3A4A-8E35-4424-9379-49D8F032D38F.jpg (804x832, 132K)

>until all the mindfuck
Literally the best ending could be

Asuka is already a genderflipped version of Great Mazinger's Tetsuya Tsurugi.

>the same 5 lines of dialogue repeated ad nauseum for 50 minutes
i'm good senpai

i like >CONGRATULATIONS! more than EoE desu senpai

I'm an anime fan and it's not.
It's not even on my top ten of anime.

Based giant robo degenerate weeb

I don't do double dipping, sorry

No.
This, however.

Attached: 154143.jpg (349x500, 97K)

Where is my fucking 4.4?

Asuka and Shinji are basically gender swapped Jean and Nadia fron Anno’s previous anime. He’s a hack.

Made in Abyss is superior.

Attached: 221058.jpg (400x534, 108K)

Fair enough, I was 27 when I watched it.
(Im 28 now)

I guess it never missed, huh

>people keep saying this is better than any film or series ever made. Is it true?
Yea Forumsutist here, nobody says this.

Also this.

Yes masterpiece.

Asuka a best

Eva is the only anime that has any artistic merit (unironically)

>Then the ending comes and Shinji chooses free will but everyone around him is dead.

huh?

It is a confirmed fact the more anime watch the lower your threshhold for "good" and "bad" is. Anime literally warps your sense of taste.

I'll give you a rundown.

>giant monsters want to fuck up tokyo 2 after the apocalypse borderline happened
>main character is a whiny cunt and his father has sime sort of problem with him
>the giant mech of the MC is is modified mom, but he doesn't know
>"whaaaaa whaaaaa, I don't wanna drive the giant mech and kill the monsters, that's hard"
>does it anyway
>MC also has an autistic clone waifu and a tsundere type
>later he gays it up a little
>of course this all happens with a lot of "whaaaa, the giant mech is hard to control" and "whaaaa, my daddy doesn't love me"

Fucking whiner

we are all based retards on this blessed day

>main character is a whiny cunt

stopped reading right there :)

Don't you brainlets ever get tired of saying the same talking points about NGE? "HURR SHINJI IS A BITCH! AS A 13 YEAR OLD I WOULD BE WILLING TO HOP IN A GIANT ROBOT AND RISK MY LIFE TO KILL HUGE ALIENS!! HURRR SHINJI GET IN THE MECH XDDDD"

t. pedo

Friendly reminder, people hate Shinji because he's too much like they really are and not how they idealize themselves.

just like Ron Paul
bravo, Anno

Attached: 199.jpg (680x512, 47K)

Yeah, sorry if I don't dedicate about 8 hours of my lige watching a crybaby protagonist.

>muh 13 year old

Jesus fuck, the world got wrecked by giant space god aliens, grow a pair of testes, in uganda there are 10 year old niglets that would kill for food.

I don't even wanna imagine how the rest of the world looks like in NGE, why the fuck did Shinji's dad not make him into a killer monster instead of neglecting him?

>why the fuck did Shinji's dad not make him into a killer monster instead of neglecting him?
Because he was autistic

Im never watching weeb power rangers angsty teen edition, no matter how much you post on Yea Forums. Teh rei spock can eat shit.

Agreed, they even like it. Imagine howfrenzied they would be if the Chieftain asked them to use a tank to kill the enemy tribes.
I guess Gendo couldn't pay advisors.

She's doing pretty damn well for a character who's been around for 25 (?) years.

Attached: rei nendoroid.jpg (400x497, 157K)

end of evangelion is one of the most amazing experiences ever created

nothing has ever felt as catastrophic, grande, and beautiful as the ending itself

Correct

You really are missing out on a great work of art, it doesn't just hang onto weeb tropes and incorporates elements from quite a few areas.
The animation and visuals overall hold up and look great, especially the film.
The entire last 40 or so minutes of End of Evangelion are mesmerizing, and it would be sad if you were never to see that at least.

nope weebangelical.

fair enough

I just got all three seasons on Bluray. Planning to binge watch this weekend. Will I regret it? I love Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop and GITS: Stand Alone Complex!!!FACT!!!

>three seasons
What the fuck are you talking about

You can understand it and still not like it, but it should be watched it is a good story.

He kills the most angels out of everyone though?
Only insecure people hate shinji.

This is true, but I was more referring to the bandwagoneers. If you didn't like it, then you're already not on it, regardless of whether you understood it or not.

>What the fuck are you talking about

I meant the three Bluray sets!!!FACT!!!

I mean yeah you will like it but I think you should not binge the show and movie in one weekend.

Attached: 1550979075491.jpg (906x960, 141K)

You've still got it, Krager.

Yeah, I think 3-4 eps a day, spreading it out over a week is better

>Rei shops at Lawson

She even has bad taste in konbini. I bet Asuka shops at FamilyMart.

Gendo had no issue with Shinji, he distanced himself from his son in a self-destructive impulse of grief after losing Yui, believing that he (as in Gendo) was undeserving of love.
Secondarily he was also moving forward with his plans to Instrumentality to be with Yui's soul once more, at the exclusion of all else, including his own son as he was doing an end justifies the means run atop of shutting his emotions away from everyone else.
Basically he was a man who was kicking himself mentally over the loss of his wife and felt he didn't deserve Shinji's affection after that event.

And based Yui actually purposefully trapped her soul in Unit-01, so a lot of the onus for the collapse of Shinji and Gendo's relationship is actually on her, even if she clearly doesn't agree with Gendo abandoning him.

Blade Runner 2049 is the only film I like more than EoE. They are both total masterpieces.

Asuka shops at lidl

I-Is this The Last Jedi of anime?

it's somehow both the best anime ever made and incredibly overrated (and a hackjob at times, mostly applies to the series tho). Deserves the praise though and makes most every other weebshit look like cartoons for toddlers.

No, it's the blade runner 2049. Unlike 2049/Eva The last jedi is bad.

I would be incredibly impressed if you managed to masturbate to Evangelion

its a german brand she's a good kraut

Evangelion is alright. Not good, not bad.

It's not true.

But also isn't just anime shit to masturbate to, because the fanservice is mostly very bad.

I really enjoyed Hare + Guu since it was consistently great in the first cour, but it goes to shit after. Guu is the only reason to watch all of it (and Hare's solid tsukkomi as well)

It's a story about a beta incel having to come to terms with personal responsibility and grow the fuck up. When you boil it down, that's it.

Spot on, was thinking the same thing.

There is still people who doesn't get the Gnosticist references.

100% agree. I also watched it at 27 for the first time. I liked it, but it wasn't some transcendent experience for me. That being said, I can completely understand why a teenager watching it for the first time would regard it as highly as some do. Keep in mind, I'm admittedly a pleb though.

Zoomers love Evangelion. Le depression and hopelessness are the coolest things to them.

Reminder Rei Ayanami is Sophia

Attached: Der-Mond-Yoshiyuki-Sadamoto-061.jpg (918x1260, 348K)

>Gnosticist
Dumb ayheiat retard

I saw it for the first time at 21 and didn't understand why it was such a phenomenon. It was well-written and all but I don't know if the "it's so deep!" thing is a joke or something propagated by teenagers.
The aspect of the show I liked most was showing the psychological stress of putting already fucked-up teenagers in giant machines and telling them they're humanity's last hope. I haven't seen a lot of anime but I get the impression most shows like Eva would show the kids as cool, confident, and with hearts of gold.

A few years ago, I saw a pic that had the silhouettes of the angels in a row, with their names underneath. It made me watch the series and EoE, but I haven't been able to find it since. Anyone know which pic I'm talking about? The angels are just so fucking cool.

Pic is a rundown of the story using lore from the manga.

Based brainlet

Attached: 1511796055019.png (245x206, 6K)

Forgot pic.

good lord man. get your shit together.

Attached: 1510216258234.jpg (417x461, 31K)

Huh, guess that pic doesn't want to work today.

I'm phoneposting at work in the middle of nowhere, I regret nothing.

The creator even says there's nothing deep about it, so this statement is honestly pretty bad.

Kek

Yeah?! And?! That's what I thought idiot.

I don't wear tv/movie gear, but I wouldn't mind getting a NERV shirt.

This one? If it is this is gonna be embarrassing -- I literally Googled "neon genesis evangelion angels" and got it as my very first pic.

Attached: flat,550x550,075,f.u2.jpg (418x550, 65K)

The creator meant there's nothing deep behind the christian symbols that were used in NGE and EoE.

No, different pic. It was more detailed and had them all in, I believe, a single line across the image with their names underneath. I've seen people post scans from some NGE supplementary book (I think they were, anyway) that have a similar lay out - silhouettes and names - but they're jumbled across the page and they don't have all the angels in one image.

All these rei and askua fags and I'm sitting here thinking we proved misato was best woman 20 years ago.

Best *woman*. Asuka best *girl*.

>he thinks misato isn't best girl either

Looks pretty kino to me

Cringe

I felt things I had never felt before during that sequence

Based

Gendo is best girl.

Those are the shit remake movies

This is the only anime that can stand up to real films

Attached: Honneamise.jpg (909x1280, 346K)

True retards are the ones still in denial about the Gnosticist meaning which is fucking obvious and not only visual when you know about it.

Attached: ad956eadbcea945c9ddea0deedb2ba9fdebfcbea3a6c15b7f0310187261cc742.jpg (2533x2291, 762K)

>didn't understand why it was such a phenomenon
>I haven't seen a lot of anime
Well there's your fucking problem. Eva's popularity has led people to believe that it's an entry-level anime when the exact opposite is true. It's a show by hardcore otaku for hardcore otaku.

Grow up and watch Gundam

fuck off

>Evangelion makes Yea Forums into Yea Forums's /trash/
bravo, anno

Attached: QualityGainaxAnimation.gif (267x200, 66K)

bump

You have never watched either Eva or Nadia, have you? Shinji is gender flipped Nadia only in terms of appearance, and neither Nadia nor Jean have anything at all to do with either Shinji or Asuka personality wise.

it's good when you see them happy.
before episode 16 it was like everything could be fine.

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-02-19-00h01m20s593.png (960x720, 899K)

The Eva target audience doesn't need to know anything about anime or ever having watched it.
You didn't get it.

This. Regardless of whether it took inspiration from older anime, or how it changed the medium or whatever, Eva's target audience was literally children. Anno explicitly said so multiple times.

All in all i think that the main idea of EVA was to represent the idea to the world who really rules all fucking world from backstage. And I think it's SEELE. SEELE = Jews. That was the most crucial aspect in all series.

Based

Attached: G5c2h.jpg (855x480, 130K)

the human instrumentality project was basically the Tikkun Olam, they wanted to become Adam Kadmon the primordial man unifying all humanity into a single one entity, an according to a gnosticist point of view becoming an Aeon again called Anthropos with both knowledge and immortality.

The others Angels are Aeons too, Humanity are basically an Aeon which was divided and has only the wisdom because Sophia gave them it.

Sophia is basically Rei Ayanami, locked into a material form, and Yui wants to become an Aeon like her for her own gnostic trip.

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-02-14-22h53m26s797.png (960x720, 814K)

Just try to think little more deeplier why creator said this. EVA at that time and even now was and are the most controversial series ever created. So naturally it atrracted (((their))) attention. From negative prospective of course. So based as fuck big ear guy Hideaki Anno just wanted to continue living his life and settled down things about EVA. Only retards can think that EVA was just a simple and idiotic mix of non-logical ideas.

I've always prided myself as a film fan before an anime fan, so in theory I should be all "hurr durr its a fucking cartoon". I don't give a fuck. EoE is the greatest fucking film ever made. No film has ever reached its genius

based, agreed user.

Only 2049 suppresses it, but it's absolute kino.

*surpasses

Only watch the TV series; EoE is trash. I don't know why Yea Forums gobbles that abortion of a movie.

Attached: 1522910556735.jpg (250x250, 63K)

based propoganda tripfag

Why don't you watch it and find out yourself?

they've stated in interviews over and over that the show's "lessons and meanings" have nothing to do with religon and they quote "thought the symbolism just looked cool"

cringe and bluepilled.

>Just to masturbate to
were we watching the same anime? Sure the arguments about which girl is better never stop, but you are talking about it like it was some fanservice anime centered around fapping