Stand Alone Complex is excellent. Why did it take me so long to watch this?

Stand Alone Complex is excellent. Why did it take me so long to watch this?

Attached: F5C402A1-26CA-4DC2-8A9C-FF29A0BC9BF5.gif (322x322, 574K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u0ow4tGgZWk
ign.com/articles/2018/12/08/new-ghost-in-the-shell-anime-coming-to-netflix
sola-digital.com/works/index.html#tram
youtu.be/rrZk9sSgRyQ
youtu.be/d5uAeiUOdjM?list=PL6E5AB17937AC0DA1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Becuase it's a snoozefest. I don't say this often, but GitS:SAC is incredibly boring. Even when the show tries to make you connect to its character through backstories, you still won't really feel a thing. I am always surprised how people praise this show yet call [insert seasonal CGDCT of your choice] boring.

I think the important thing to remember is that even at the most hype they are not dealing with world changing events or massive government operations. They are not cyborg James Bond or Cyber Punk Mission Impossible. They are simply police with a special task.
Once you understand that key context their stories are no longer a let down of these super cyborgs doing relatively mundane crime fighting. But are in fact mundane cyborgs doing normal police work. A few plot lines aside clearly.

You sound like a laugh riot.

>mfw seeing this bait

Attached: 1523478055007.webm (420x221, 2.6M)

I gotta agree here to some degree. The structure (with parts belonging to story X, other's are story Y, standalone or pure filler) didn't help either. But that's just part of the problem. Another would be: too much talk. Call me a brainlet as much as you want, but that's just too much. Or in other words (good drinking game while watching this: drink each time they say "in other words", they do it all the fucking time, because they talk so fucking much, but don't arrive anywhere, so they'll start all over again with "in other words", holy shit) it doesn't exactly play to the strengths of the medium.

Attached: laughing-man-ghost-in-the-shell.jpg (853x480, 68K)

All these years and I'm still mad that shota turned down the Major.

This post makes me so confused, the semi-episodic semi-season-length narrative structure of the show was one of my favorite parts. And the writing was a goddamn joy how could you not enjoy it. I guess the tastes really are in the nature. brainlet

Attached: 1523904038671.jpg (1920x1080, 594K)

Attached: 1528800530866.jpg (500x3899, 267K)

I'm not saying everything was bad, neither am I saying that I didn't enjoy any of this. Otherwise I hardly would have watched it to the bitter end.

Attached: kid with gun.png (1154x1200, 1.18M)

Fucking japs do this shit all the time. I hate them so much.

Attached: 1550068984432.jpg (1077x1053, 90K)

I always treated GITS:SAC as a window into the weird future Masamune Shiroh was predicting. The cyborg policemen and tachis were less exotic than the crimes they were investigating, or the political makeup of the world they lived in.
Muv-Luv Alternative gave the same vibe. The original was set in 2001, but because the political landscape and culture was so different from the real world, it felt more alien than the alien invaders themselves.

>I think the important thing to remember is that even at the most hype they are not dealing with world changing events or massive government operations.
First season no, but second season yes they absolutely were.

Did you buy into subs vs dubs bullshit and refuse to watch the reruns on AS/Toonami?

In the second season they avert the assassination of a head of state and the nuclear annihilation of a population center. That's pretty fucking Mission Impossible.

Goda talking about his virginity in 2nd GIG has only become more hilarious over the years. It's the spitting image of /r9k/.
Is Solid State Society any good? It's the only part of the series I haven't seen.

Is there any anime that does what SAC does better? Every “cyberpunk” anime I try to start watching is some banal shounen shit or just banal period. SAC is honestly a fucking masterpiece at this point now that the dust has settled. I hate the brainlets that say “muh too much dialogue.” Maybe shounen is more your speed you faggots

The major is in no way a “mundane cyborg” even if she was doing “mundane police work.” That being said the police work they were doing wasn’t run of the mill, it was literal counterterrorism. Sounds like it all went a little over your head honestly

Its just more of the same if you don't want to let the characters from SAC go, the story isn't exceptional and it doesn't add to the canon. But it is something, anything, from SAC, and for me thats enough!

Based.

Attached: 1523587063627.jpg (926x1000, 336K)

t. can't take fair critisism so everyone better go watch some shounen shit and shut the fuck up already. Just gotta love this "argument".

Attached: 1548844130139.jpg (739x415, 35K)

Fans of the films might be disappointed. But Stand Alone Complex lives by it's title. Its stands alone from the original movies. But what makes SAC so much more entertaining is the fact it's a series.

In this form GITS becomes more like the manga it was inspired from. Sure there isn't a Puppet Master plot, but now we get to see the inner workings of Section 9 and the role they play in this cybernetic future where the line between the real world and the digital one is too closely blurred.

Everything about this series is top notch. The story's are written in classic science fiction form. The 3-D animation is near flawless. And of course the biggest praise has to be the soundtrack.

But mostly the characters bring out the most in this show. Everyone knows Motoko. But Batou is her complete opposite bringing a little bit of humor to an otherwise serious job. And the old ape, Chief Aramaki, is just superior as the head of Section 9. Also we get to see how the other members of Section 9 make it the elite team that it is.

But really the Tachikoma's bring the most interesting aspect to the show. Since these mini-tanks are controlled by A.I., their experience's help them understand more about the world they live in much like a small child growing up. Overall their playful attitude contrasts the serious aspects of the show. ( and I love their little spots after each episode )

All in all SAC does a great job of showing viewers what a future of great technological advances could bring. The good and the bad. From the hijacked tank, to the Geri's, and even to the terrorist known only as the Laughing Man. Ghost in the Shell SAC shows audiences that anime can be full of action, intelligence, mystery, and humor all rolled into one.

And that makes it a must see for anyone, not just fans of Anime.

post your top 5 animes brainlets

can someone unironically recommend me animes like SAC? i really enjoyed it and it’s in my top 5 animes of all time and it’s difficult finding an anime that even comes up to its ankles

I’m a brainlet who has a hard time enjoying shows like this, lain and tex that I recognise as bring good. I hate having shit taste.

No. I have yet to find one that really captures the political machinations in a way that you would expect actual professionals conduct themselves. Everything in the show is well justified, and though the crimes are grand and seemingly outlandish, the reasoning for them is never all that absurd and the true intentions behind the plot create a really engaging story.

I need more shows like this.

Just so you get a variety of opinions, I thought that SSS was the best story to have come out of SAC, and I loved the shit out of SAC.
Goda is /our/guy

Is this pasta, or a review from some website?
Either way, this unironically.

Yeah well, it’s probably the best or one of the best anime series ever made, there’s not much seinen that comes close. Shitters trolls and brainlets will say otherwise but don’t mind them. SAC, despite its own very few flaws in my opinion, is a masterpiece when considered as a consummate work, and even more so when considered holistically. There simply isn’t another series like it and it’s looking like there might never be again

Hilariously, the show that felt the closest to SAC in that regard was The Wire for me.

Attached: 1544362692403.jpg (398x474, 16K)

Yuru Yuri
YuYuShiki
Kobato
HanaIro
Happy Sugar Life

Attached: 1547764100722.jpg (1280x720, 133K)

Will the new Netflix seasons be good? They're directed by the same guy who did SAC so how do I not submit to getting too hyped for these 24 new episodes.

checks out

Attached: C3744D72-09D6-4B0B-B266-F0036DD87B69.jpg (1280x720, 149K)

youtube.com/watch?v=u0ow4tGgZWk

I've got nothing but love for GITS SAC

Attached: 1437928306322.jpg (1917x2107, 1000K)

>see new Gits anime is coming
>it's on netflix
>slight concern
>full 3DCG
Why? Who keeps pushing this fucking meme? It's going to be Berserk 2016 all over again...

calling something boring unironically and literally is an admission of being a brainlet

the fact that it's suppose to be full 3DCG... maybe they'll somehow pull it off, but I doubt it.

We get it, teen. No need to permanently same fag. You already disqualified yourself once you used the term "brainlet". There's no need to direct any more attention to your pitiful existence.

Cyberpunk was a product of the era it came out in. Writers in the '70s and '80s were generally better educated and had a firmer grasp of society than people today. Consider that when Tolkien penned LOTR, he was a scholar of languages and a mythology. Today, an expert in fantasy is someone who didn't grow up on World of Warcraft.
There are few good science fiction titles out now for people to adapt. Hell, reality is more sci-fi now than fiction. You want to see the plot lines in GITS SAC play out in real life? Talk to privacy advocates.

>awesomeface
You're alright, OP.

Attached: 01.png (400x619, 44K)

is this the Cyborg equivalent of POZZING someone?

I'm personally holding out hope that it'll be good, the director plays a large part and i am hopeful that two 12 episode seasons means that it'll be tightly focused on the story but there will be enough space for it to develop out.

I really hope what that guy said isn't true, I adore this series and I'm tired of seeing it battered like this.

>he doesn't know about OS-tan
Newfag-from-/pol/-kun, I...

Attached: 02.png (400x629, 43K)

Houseki no Kuni changed the way I view these full 3DCG shows and it can be pulled off if there is talent behind it but 95% chance you're just getting low budget CLANG.

If the show takes place in 2045 that's a 10+ years timeskip, I'm not holding my breath.

SAC's 3DCG was pioneering and quite acceptable. The studio that did it, Studio Orange, also went on to do Houseki No Kuni, which is visually stunning despite (maybe even thanks to) being fully 3DCG. I'm hoping the director will keep the same standards of quality.
Also, Netflix series have mostly been quite good.
I'm ready for the worst,but hoping for something good.

Attached: 1546856111365.jpg (1920x1080, 587K)

ign.com/articles/2018/12/08/new-ghost-in-the-shell-anime-coming-to-netflix
It's true... are you ready for the BANG instead of CLANG?

The studio did those rather decent 3DCG Starship Troopers movies so I'm kiiiinda holding out some hope. I also liked the 3DCG SAC OP.

>Also, Netflix series have mostly been quite good.
No.

Devilman Crybaby was pretty good. VEG, however you feel about it, at least looked nice. Netflix at least seems to put enough money in those series for their vision to be fully realized, regardless of how good they end up being.

Crybaby was okay and I dropped VEG, the only Netflix ""original"" that's worth watching is HisoMaso.

Yes, but Orange is a rare breed. Sola Digital Arts is working with I.G., what stuff have they done?

All these 3DCG anime experts here. Truly amazing haha. Bunch of newfags who don't have the slightest clue what Japanese 3DCG cann look like if they actually try.

Nip studios are looking for an opportunity. Some studios like OLM and Toei have amazing 3DCGI departments, but don't get the contracts and funding to produce an all-CGI film. That industry is such that it's still cheaper to make 2D and farm out to the Philippines or Malaysia rather than design 3DCGI models that are Veggietales tier.

Don't worry. Promare will change their minds.

We know what it can look like, we are at the part where we're trying to figure out if they are actually going to try.

I hope they do. I don't have much else to really look forward too.

Starship Troopers 5 & 6, the new Ultraman series coming soon to Netflix. I thought the Starship Troopers movies were kinda fun.

sola-digital.com/works/index.html#tram
That Ultraman model seems halfway decent, and that Starship Troopers trailer is visually acceptable, suffers more from uninspired visuals and direction than a lack of technical ability.
They also made that Evangelion trailer from a while ago that I remember seeing on here. It was pretty cool.
I am cautiously optimistic.

Patlabor scratches the "cops doing cop stuff WITH ROBOTS" itch, though it has a bunch of "workplace comedy hijinks with clashing personalities!" tropes. It can be complex and thoughtful like GITS, but often isn't.

Jormungand has operators operating operationally, but is otherwise almost completely different and people bitch about the ending.

Psycho-Pass might be the anime with the most similarities, but the technological side doesn't really strike a similar chord, being focused on one major change instead of a wider range of differences. There's also much less politics and other generally relatable applications of power. It is also by Production IG, which helps.

There is apparently a GITS:SAC continuity series coming to Netflix in 2020.

Boku no Pico.

FLipFlappers should have made a gits episode. Now that would have been KINO.

Attached: 35434541.jpg (657x720, 59K)

Those teeth still haunt me, though.

>KINO

FLipFlappers should have made a gits episode. Now that would have been CINEMA.

Attached: 3333344.jpg (871x626, 80K)

Well, that actually gives some hope. Maybe it wont end up as a CLANG! then

ITT
>if I like GitS I am smart, right? :D
Fucking embarrassing. Oshii would be ashamed of you people.

When did the >kino is Yea Forums meme start. Is it a ploy from Yea Forums to steal the term?

>open it up to check
>randomly jump to a scene with Sky Marshall Rebecca Chambers
Damn it user, now I can't unsee those teeth.

Attached: aaaaaaaaaa.png (640x360, 176K)

Attached: 1429545371135.png (553x495, 286K)

>youtu.be/rrZk9sSgRyQ

This isn't terrible and shows they can at least do the setting. Theres some reason to be hopeful given the right direction but it has been well over a decade since he directed SAC...

I actually meant these, but dear god.

Attached: Capture.png (1635x740, 1.65M)

Ahh, no, why'd you post them?

Has anyone seen this 009 Re:Cyborg thing? That's probably a good indication of whether he's lost his touch.

Attached: 1524421572806.jpg (407x245, 25K)

I thought everyone that watched the series already knew.

Wait, is this from the Starship troopers that Sola animated? Looks kind of good.

It's really quite a decent popcorn flick. FF Spirits Within quality 3DCG, cool power armour, Punished Rico and dead girlfriend make for a good watch.

Attached: paz.png (640x360, 216K)

bumpu

If the writing is extraordinarily good I could ignore 3DCG. But it'll be 12FPS 3DCG garbage with a weird tacked-on plot.

it's incredible math

how is this a bad thing?

Pure Illusion only existed in their cyberbrains all along.

Second season is even better. Honestly it's up there as one of my favorite tv anime ever made.

I'm watching the wire right now and it is amazing. Best tv show ever made.

Major X Kuze OTP

Prove me wrong
Pro tip : You can't.

Attached: d18a1599bdd9e8eec153c102e4f698a7a8c0e9a3_hq.jpg (500x333, 19K)

I want to fuck the Major in the asshole.

Attached: 64e0a0dea35c45d60065574100c978b1.jpg (645x687, 207K)

This one is also great.

youtu.be/d5uAeiUOdjM?list=PL6E5AB17937AC0DA1

I just finished watching it all last night. I was apprehensive about sitting through a 2x 26 episode show but I blew right through it in 2 weeks. The writing and direction definitely made it one of the best shows I've ever seen, several cuts above the average anime. Off the top of my head I can't think of any show that managed to regularly pull off a 4D chess of a plot so believably grounded in the setting's realism without the dumb leaps of logic, stretches of characterization, and general anime bullshit typical of most anime. It was also gorgeously well animated for a TV anime and the level of detail and realism they put into everything, especially the CG, was an incredible treat.

It was particularly interesting how farsighted its themes were. 15 years ago it was already predicting societal issues that we've only begun to deal with in the past 5 years. The limited parallels with the real-world trends and events that have happened since it aired made its themes all the more poignant.

This is a well put and succinct summation of the show. The refugee issue in the second season has gained an extraordinary amount of salience, and the way that Ghoda sought to manipulate both the refugees and the political climate of Japan as a whole seems not entirely implausible given our contemporary tensions.

For a nation so steeped in bureaucratic tradition and political intrigue there are shockingly few anime that grapple with the subject competently. I rewatch SAC probably two or three times a year solely because no other series really compares, I guess Gundam 00 gets kind of close but that hardly compares - though I did just finish Planetes in two sittings and that has hit me pretty hard emotionally, even SAC didn't leave me feeling this way.

What is sad about this is that she can never connect with someone like that again, Kusanagi deserves to be happy too, but I don't think she ever will be