It's the 40th anniversary and there's people posting on this board RIGHT NOW who haven't watched 0079

>it's the 40th anniversary and there's people posting on this board RIGHT NOW who haven't watched 0079
Why is this allowed?

Attached: [EG]Mobile_Suit_Gundam_41_BD(720p_10bit)[233217B5][00:12:59]001.png (960x720, 799K)

I watched the movies while building gunpla
I like gundams but no way I am sitting through 48 episodes of anything nowadays
I dont even watch much anime anymore anyways I almost exclusively read manga

shut up

Because it's 40 years later and we can no longer condone child abuse.

Attached: child abuse.jpg (960x720, 102K)

No

Remake when?

Meh, I saw like the first 20 episodes or so before I dropped it.
It was pretty cool for it's time.

Their souls, gravity, etc.

I watched the compilation movies and they are fine, but way inferor to other mecha.

Zeta > 0079

Based Zetaposter

Attached: IMG_1107.jpg (2000x1500, 184K)

Coming soon to a theater near you

Attached: char aznable RG.jpg (473x242, 13K)

The only mecha Yea Forums likes is Darling in the FranXX. That's why.

It's true

that's more kaiju than mecha

ZZ > shit > Zeta

>first episode consists of preschooler styled segments where kids are asked which mobile suit looks cooler and shit
what the fuck were they thinking?!

Attached: 1495266929995.png (311x325, 169K)

yeah shut up

>Narrative for the 40th anniversary
How disappointing. Are we at least getting Hathaway's Flash this year?

don't forget, we're also getting a hollywood gundam movie, friend.

Attached: 1549967948244.gif (600x434, 1.44M)

no

Mecha is fucking gay

Char, you craven traitor!

so what???

It's not

not as gay as lesbo comedy romances

I've never betrayed anyone in my entire life!

Attached: 1528531210963.jpg (1280x720, 116K)

Because this isn't /m/
t. Gundam fan

For real though, watch 0079 or at least the compilation movies. It'll give you a much better perspective on how the mecha genre developed culturally.

Attached: 1544141899511.jpg (1440x1080, 232K)

I was planning a rewatch once I'm done rewatching LOGH. How much more stuff do you pick up on a second viewing? When they mentioned Amuro's movements had gotten better during the Africa arc when analyzing the Gundam suit I thought it was an interesting catch and not knowing anything about Newtypes and their bullshit the reveal was handled pretty well

>It'll give you a much better perspective on how the mecha genre developed culturally.
fuck that. that's no reason to watch it. watch 0079 because it's genuinely a great series.

Attached: [EG]Mobile_Suit_Gundam_43_BD(720p_10bit)[FCFE9BD9][00:14:09]001.png (960x720, 836K)

I watched it sometime last year. I just finished Turn A, completing my watch through of at least 90% of UC Gundam stuff. Not sure I want to watch NT, but will probably watch the Hathaway's Flash movies when they come out.

I'm also interested in the Gundam Hollywood movie even if I'm sure it'll be shit.

based

I've watched 10+ gundam series including 0079 and they're all shit. Gundam is just overrated shit that people pretend to like because of its fame and influence. Literally glorified advertisements for children's toys.
I've seen 450 anime series, probably more than most /m/ongoloids, so I know my taste is good.

Attached: 1527802785527.png (760x596, 624K)

I tried to watch 0079. Dropped it after six epsodes or so.
I watched Turn A. It was the best of Tomino's anime I watched.
I watched Seed. It was awesome.
I watched Seed Destiny. Is was the best Gundam I have ever watched.
I watched 00. I was okay, but not as good as Seed.
I watched Orphans because I heard Okada was in it. It was shit and I blame everyone except Okada for that.

At least you are consistent.

how do you go from this...

Attached: main_front-3.png.jpg (722x750, 81K)

to this?

Attached: Strelizia.600.2224349.jpg (529x600, 35K)

>I watched Seed Destiny. Is was the best Gundam I have ever watched.
I'm not a seed hater, but this has got to be bait.

Why don't you just read the origin manga it's infinitely better than the horribly animated anime.

Attached: A1rCtqbYu0L[1].jpg (1875x2477, 1.48M)

wrong

Yeah well I've watched 10+ Gundam series and I think they're great. I don't care if you're so jaded that you don't know how anyone could enjoy something without faking it.

I agree that Turn A is great but what other Tomino stuff have you watched?

I'm actually planning to rewatch it this year.

This. Origin is a great introduction to the story without having to suffer through 0079.
Anyone can skip the Char flashbacks and get the best version of 0079 ever made.

>suffer through 0079.
Yeah, shame you have to suffer through one of the best entries in the series so you could watch trash like Unicorn. The art is certainly dated but I don't understand people who have such an issue with it that they just refuse to watch it. But I guess these are the same people that insist 0079 is half filler, which is incredibly false.

not child abuse since he is in the military

>The art is certainly dated but I don't understand people who have such an issue with it that they just refuse to watch it.
It's not just dated it's awful in every sense of the word, it turns a serious and good story into a shitty Saturday morning cartoon that at least i, have a hard time taking serious.
And i can make this statement because i have seen it.
>But I guess these are the same people that insist 0079 is half filler, which is incredibly false.
Who says that? As shitty as it looks i never felt like any part was unnecessary to it.
At the end of the day you have to consider what you will waste your time with watching, 0079 is not worth it if you put any value on the visual part of an audio-visual medium.

Are you complaining about the animation or are you complaining about the overall visual choices? There are some silly stuff but overall palette, character designs etc. are not unfitting for what in ultimately a coming of age story.

PINK
EXPLOSIONS

just kidding I actually like them

I am strictly talking about the animation, besides it it's perfectly fine.

I watched the dub tv series cause that was all I could find at one point. I'd be happy to rewatch it subbed.

I watched the movies. It was pretty meh.

In this case visuals are about much more than the animation. Fluid, on-model animation is nice but it is not necessarily important. Better animation is better but animation that is good enough to convey properly the intent of the creator is good enough.

>but animation that is good enough to convey properly the intent of the creator is good enough.
What is good enough for you is clearly different from what i find to be good enough in this medium, but at the end of the day it's just a personal thing as to how much you value this aspect.

Gaydam it’s fucking boring though. It looks terrible and has ugly music. Watch Gunbuster, Eva, Gurren Lagann ir FranXX instead.

The movies are shit. Good job ruining your first impression because you're too stupid to realize why you shouldn't watch recap movies by themselves.

Well, I don't mean to argue but valuing animation is one thing and being able to appreciate the extent to which it conveys meaning is another. If you are interested in high quality animation and see no value in works that are badly animated that's fine but it's just your personal preference.

>user is too much of a child to enjoy a real robot series

Gundam legitimately has better cinematography than Franxx. Smooth animation is not all anime has to offer.

>and being able to appreciate the extent to which it conveys meaning is another
Or in the case of 0079 how much meaning gets across despite it.
>If you are interested in high quality animation and see no value in works that are badly animated
I think you completely misunderstood my point.
I certainly see a value in it, but i am trying to make it clear that the animation is a severe detriment for the work.

>watching 10 series' you think are shit
well you're obviously a retard so why would anyone care about your taste

Turn A, CCA, and Zeta are better

In a visual medium it is quite absurd to say that visuals are a detriment in any capacity. The animation in MSG may not be the most fluid or accurate or complex but its dynamic and expressive.I am not saying that you don't value the series, just that you would have probably valued it more if it had the kind of animation you like. But if you appreciated it even as much as you did it is because its animation was able to convey as much as it did.

Best Gundam.

Attached: [EG]Space_Runaway_Ideon_04_BD(720p_10bit)[B691B987].mkv_snapshot_14.13_[2018.05.04_22.13.28].jpg (960x720, 106K)

CCA>>MSG>ZETA>>>Turn A

Based CCA brother

>In a visual medium it is quite absurd to say that visuals are a detriment in any capacity.
I don't understand this mentality, are you saying that no matter how bad the animation is it can never be to the detriment of the whole?
>just that you would have probably valued it more if it had the kind of animation you like.
Isn't that a given? but that's also besides the point it doesn't have to be perfect, or my favorite kind of animation, it has to hold up a certain minimum quality standard to not be bad.
>But if you appreciated it even as much as you did it is because its animation was able to convey as much as it did.
I appreciated it as much as i did despite the animation and its inability to do its job properly.
I am honestly unsure how to convey to you what i mean, if you are unable to see how a certain aspect being bad can be detrimental to it especially if it is a major part like the animation.

Yea Forums hardly even likes Franxx, at least say Geass or something which literally is mainly liked at all for how much stupid fun was had watching it together at the time

Could you not include Gunbuster in your shitposting please
also "mecha" is a fuckhuge genre, those four shows you mentioned aren't similar to Gundam at all aside from having some big robots in them

There are different aspects of animation and some of them are more important than others. The kind of quantitative aspects that you seem to appreciate are not important at all for the kind of work that MSG is. As I said it is expressive enough that the narrative elements hit the right notes. If it were not you wouldn't be able to appreciate those narrative elements.
What did you like about it and how was the animation detrimental to it (as in from technical perspective and not "because I didn't like it")?

I watched it and I definitely don't recommend it to anyone young. While not terrible, there is much better stuff to watch out there. I'd rather just tell them to watch Unicorn and if they get really curious then go into the wormhole. If not, just give up on most Gundam.

Attached: 油屋とんび - MARVELガンダムズ:ラクガキまとめ.jpg (582x600, 186K)

Narrative was so disappointing

I seriously hope you're not watching the movies instead of the original series.

>I'd rather just tell them to watch Unicorn
Jesus christ, at least tell them to watch 00. That's like the most accessible Gundam

>mfw I did
>mfw I've been having discussions for years with other anons about 0079 and nobody questions me because the movies tell you basically everything

Attached: gundamtril2.jpg (900x374, 120K)

The politics in 00 is way to dumb (even for Gundam standards) for me mention it.

Where the fuck y'all niggas watching Narrative? Is it being shown in american movies?

Attached: 1531112222864.jpg (850x1200, 503K)

Because Gundam was never any good and boring old people just like it because MUH NOSTALGIA

Reading the wiki tells you basically everything too but it's still a shitty way of experiencing the series.

>a shitty way of experiencing the series
But that is how Tomino tells stories.

Attached: 1528332816009.gif (512x588, 605K)

>I watched Seed. It was awesome.
You're a funny nigger.

Origin is ass. The anime is one of the best anime ever made and if you haven't seen it you are basically reddit.

>I watched Seed. It was awesome.
What

As i mentioned before the animation is generally bad
Inconsistencies in the art (things like the proportions) due to the way they animate/fail at portraying perspective, the movement is often either unnaturally slow or fast rarely is there consistency.
And i don't think anyone will contest it but the loops and reused footage tends to be very noticeable and unfitting.
The quality of the animation strongly differs for similar things in the same segments, for example Bright and Garma when he tried to hit the white base, such things are all throughout the show.
All of this rips me out of the experience, and quite often it just makes it look like a cheap joke in moments that are serious/suspenseful/or just in general "immersive"
>What did you like about it.
The story and the designs.
If i see amuro morph around, or fail to evade slow moving enemies or move erratically, such things destroy any kind of mood that the story was supposed to have, this is doubly worse because such scenes happen when the animation is at its worst.
Now in regards of "immersion" i mean as long as i watch it i am able to not think about animation and other "real life" problems, but if it is as bad as with 0079 it just happens to often and i end up unable to ignore those problems.

>The kind of quantitative aspects that you seem to appreciate are not important at all for the kind of work that MSG is
I disagree, this is not a book and thus you can't just dismiss those aspects because even if you may not care for them they are important because they are an inherent part of the experience.
To me you argument is like saying that bad grammar and typos are not important for a book just because it is well written despite those.

>And i don't think anyone will contest it but the loops and reused footage tends to be very noticeable and unfitting.
This is funny because I did notice some reuse but I had watched Ideon beforehand and Gundam seemed to have much less footage reuse than Ideon did. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how much more I enjoyed Gundam than Ideon actually. I thought it would be the opposite because Ideon was slightly newer.

Overall though, reading your criticisms, they're not unfounded but personally I just have never (that I remember) watched anything I considered too badly animated to watch. Much less Gundam, which I went into having heard tons of people shitting on it all the time for how it looked and moved. I had just come off of Macross, which at its worst times was barely watchable, but Gundam's minimum quality was much more enjoyable to me and it was much more consistent throughout its run. Adding to this, it's the start of a large series that has excellently animated things in it as well as TV series that are at least better animated than the original. And I would never even think of telling someone to skip it if they want to get into the series. The only alternative would be to watch the movies, which I consider absolutely terrible, so you can either watch the series, which I don't think is too poorly animated to watch, and experience it in the way I think is best, or you can save some time by watching the movies and get a barely better experience than reading the wiki page imo.

>dumbdam
>being realistic in any way
The absolute state of gaydamfags

Anyone else rewatch MSGA lately?

>And I would never even think of telling someone to skip it if they want to get into the series.
I would not tell anyone to skip it, but i would not recommend it as a start, i can only speak for myself but i would have never watched 0079 if i hadn't gotten myself invested in the franchise beforehand.
>I had just come off of Macross, which at its worst times was barely watchable, but Gundam's minimum quality was much more enjoyable to me
Now this makes me worry a bit, i actually planned to watch Macross after i finish all of Gundam.

Not the user you are replying to, but funny you should mention Macross. I am watching Macross and 0079 somewhat concurrently right now and I'm enjoying Macross a lot more. While clunky at times I think the animation is a lot better overall and doesn't have the jarring moments that break my suspension of disbelief like 0079 has. Regarding the story and the skill with which it is told, Macross is the winner hands-down for me so far, though I'm only about halfway through both shows.

SD is going to be big this year, I can feel it lads

Attached: SD-Gundam-World-Sangoku-Soketsuden-01.jpg (800x450, 301K)

Macross has higher highs but it also has lower lows, art and animation wise. As a whole I found it much less interesting than Gundam too, which I thought would be the opposite, and it's the reason I watched it before Gundam. Still a good series but not something I'd revisit very often while I could see myself watching 0079 again. DYRL is also a pretty big split for me in opinion because I didn't like it at all. It was certainly prettier than the series but it was worse at everything else imo. Looking at this other user's posts I don't hold art and animation as highly as he does. It's nice when it's there but like I said, I've never to my knowledge dropped a series because of its art or animation and have a pretty high tolerance and I continue to recommend Gundam 0079 despite knowing it does have some art and animation problems.

I can see the argument that someone might not be able to get into the series if they start with 0079. But it's by far the best starting point imo, partially because I consider it one of the best entries in the series but also because it's essential to everything else that happens in the franchise, at least if you're considering UC. The only other entry I'd say would be fine to start with is 0080 but even then, it's probably more enjoyable if you've seen 0079 first.

I did and it's the oldest anime I've watched from beginning to the end

It was shown for one night only in American theaters last week. It was pretty ass

Curse you, Americans

I've seen it half a dozen times. One of my all time favorite anime

his dad (bright) made him pilot it, it's conscription

Attached: 1473280706019.png (500x374, 202K)

Why choose between 2 pleb options and just watch the series? It's superior to both

Not after Alita bombed

They just have to make it more general audience friendly and put more money into it. Did Alita really bomb though? It seems to have been well received by audiences but I haven't seen any financial data about it. I think you underestimate Hollywood's desires to turn everything and anything into live action movies though. They've still been periodically releasing video game adaptations for decades now despite them never really being hits. They haven't even started their anime phase.

>I've never betrayed anyone in my life
>Now Char though he totally would backstab you.

Because zeta is superior in every way.

I watched the whole U.C. story line just because of a post similar to this a few months back. No regrets.

Thank you user for making these posts.

Budget was $200m, most likely not including advertising, which it did a lot. So far, it's made $260m worldwide. Take about half of that because of ticket sales (more in China), and it's made about $125m for the studio, which means it's a loss right now. Most likely won't reach or break $500m in ticket sales. Critics didn't like it. Audience "liked it", but no one is raving about it

some people have a seemingly incurable lack of taste
0079 is great. It's a bit ugly at times (a kinda bad combination of somewhat troubled production and the era in which it was made), but if you can't get past that, you're probably too superficial to really deserve to have an opinion on media in general.

I'm still kinda mad about Unicorn.
Cool fights, but what an absurdly stupid, contrived plot.
Real shame, because I liked Minerva and Banana.

also, how the fuck do you manage to write newtype bullshit that manages to make CCA seem like a reasonable, grounded affair
fuck riddhe and not just for killing best girl
fuck full frontal for being so fucking useless and not even providing a proper final fight

Haman is my smoking hot girlfriend

Attached: Haman.Karn.full.435407.jpg (1440x1080, 320K)

Mineva is my nation-ruling jailbait girlfriend.

Attached: latestCA94TEXB.png (350x750, 138K)

Macross is a later show that was popular during its run, so it got a sudden influx of budget and an extension (as opposed to Gundam, which got cut short since its popularity came somewhat after the original run), and it learned a bit from what Gundam had done like two years prior.
it still has its QUALITY moments (still not going to get over that episode that appeared to be 100% keyframe animation, no tweens aboard the Zentradi ship, nor will I fucking not bring up Max's entirely ridiculous knife fight)
but it's one of the better looking TV series of the day,

it's kinda hard for me to compare both side-by-side
they're fairly different shows, and Macross felt more like a literal soap opera than a mecha series
sometimes it feels a bit more grounded than Gundam, and sometimes it gets ridiculous in ways Gundam never really felt like it got
doesn't help that I'm watching Macross 7 right now and that series is entirely ridiculous (it's also slow as hell, 25 episodes before the story actually kicks in, and then it still moves like a snail -- it's cool enough to want to keep watching, but it's still slow as fucking shit)

The extension was the worst thing to happen to Macross though, it really should've ended at episode 27.

Good to see you're a man of advanced tastes that can appreciate Macross 7 (which also could have its run time reduced by like a third), though. Be sure to watch Dynamite.

>Max's entirely ridiculous knife fight
Yeah, I just watched that the other day and it was absurd.

Attached: [Bunny_Hat]Macross_22_(35E5212A) (00:22:40.358) 0001.jpg (1440x1080, 213K)