Read SICP

Read SICP

Attached: 1550613389422.jpg (700x700, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ign.com/code-foo/2019
stackoverflow.com/questions/18525179/find-local-minimum-in-n-x-n-matrix-in-on-time
brilliant.org/practice/egg-dropping/
interviewcake.com/question/java/two-egg-problem
cppreference.com
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What. Again?

Attached: 1543594272709.jpg (1920x2163, 1.25M)

>memebook

Read a real book.

Attached: c21.png (433x713, 484K)

oh we're having one of those?

Attached: 1429208007006.jpg (971x1200, 178K)

This book is shit.

SHIIIIIT.

Attached: c26.png (1280x720, 973K)

Don't be some nerd loser writing math papers, code for real.

Attached: nene reading.jpg (1440x810, 155K)

I miss /g/

Attached: 1485747356525.png (1280x719, 818K)

Attached: 1496012302771.jpg (1920x1080, 205K)

What happened?

Attached: Constanze_Amalie.png (431x431, 184K)

Attached: 1535214787515.jpg (1280x720, 408K)

What exactly do you code? Aren't all computer programs just disguised algorithms?

It's no longer guro.

Attached: 00dda54bb8652c8c1c91a956425710d0c37668204c04117ce12e1d5a3262d9cb.jpg (1280x720, 810K)

wintoddlers and Yea Forums consumerists took over

Computer science is not the same as development.

>pajeet#
N-no, thanks.

She looked cuter without glasses

Attached: Yuki11.png (640x800, 378K)

Stuff happened.

Attached: depressed.jpg (577x575, 59K)

go read memelang book like haskell

And where did core /g/ migrate to? Back to some shitty irc channel? Did they all off themself?

Attached: 1550068984432.jpg (1077x1053, 90K)

/biz/, but after they became millionaires they bought yachts to sail to their personal desert islands, away from the internet

Please help. I start zoning out when I get to orders of growth.

what is a good c++ compiler or should I just use an online one?

C# coding is tomorrow's $10 p/h data entry job, sorry to inform you.

While Haskell is a memelang, all coders worth their salt should learn about functional programming. It changes the way you code.

You didn't forget about me, did you?

Attached: 1546381295485.png (1075x1518, 1.76M)

he doesn't c# can do functional programming too

So they all bought stinky linkies and made it? Good for them! But what about deluded arkies? Did they off themself?

Attached: deluded-arkies.jpg (240x240, 22K)

Just use g++

>interview nightmare again

Attached: 1527370245997.jpg (240x246, 17K)

my linux laptop won't work anymore. Also lost some code because of that.

Help, i fell for the RPA meme,

>losing code in the age of source control
Come on.

It has been a long time since I used Windows, but there is cygwin, which allows you to use gcc/g++ the same way as you do in linux

What languages to learn to find first job?

>not saving your shit on memehub

Should I learn one computing language, or should I keep on learning Japanese, German, French, and Ancient Greek?

Just got tired of the new retards showing up constantly. Gave up and just stopped posting.

yeah probably should move stuff to google drive or something

DIONS, bro.

>the new retards
They will never learn about the secrets of a metacircular evaluator, will they? Poor things.

>his hobby is computing and coding

Attached: 1509759813205.jpg (480x360, 13K)

Begin with the snakes.

C#, Jewva, python, Angular

>/biz/
>becoming millionaires

Attached: sicpmai.png (960x540, 434K)

Any tips of a newfag who wants to get into comp sci?

ok

Attached: haifuri reading sicp.jpg (1280x720, 199K)

They let people get away with blogging about their lives and constantly asking for recs. There are a bunch of generals and consumerist bullshit. There are actually better alternatives for high-level technology discussion and the hobbyist communities for anime and vidya are well-informed enough that there's no need to go to a dedicated tech board for anything mid- or low-level.

Attached: 1476898619570.jpg (520x1187, 436K)

don't

Get a math degree instead

>Japanese
It's good for manga, LNs, and VNs, but what else?
>German
>French
Unless you plan on living in countries where people speak those languages, or want to dedicate yourself to masturbating over Hegel and Proust, like any starving Humanitiesfag would, it probably won't benefit you much.
>Ancient Greek
What for? Just to attempt to read Sophocles or Homer in the languages they were written in? You'll probably not even be able to understand them (or Plato) properly due to differences between your and the writers' historical/cultural context.

Whatever the position is hiring for.

>get a pot instead of keetle degree

Attached: death note.png (653x568, 462K)

>he isn't aware

Attached: math phd.jpg (640x427, 34K)

Someone want to be study buddy for algo style questions?

Attached: 1550972058867.png (517x954, 583K)

Kettles are only good for boiling water. Pots can do anything a kettle can, and much more.
The analogy applies perfectly for Math majors.

I googled this, watched the big man tyrone video, and I still don't get this meme.
Why is Iris Heart the only non-wojack /biz/ image?

proper comp sci is a math program. if you wanna learn to code look into development. if you do end up going into whatever, take whatever internships you can to get work experience AND have a personal project of any kind once you're into your program and you know what data structures are. Even if it's shit, having some personal projects and work experience puts you miles ahead of some nocode degree holder.

Early on learn how to install a VM for Linux if you're on windows. Also learn how to install git and setup a repo and learn the basics on that Linux VM.

You want to do all your work in a unix environment and save windows for Microsoft stuff and games.

>There are actually better alternatives for high-level technology discussion
fill me in, i promise i'm not a faggot

I feel like shit guys. I can't use linux commands for shit.

Attached: 1534501809488.jpg (1200x941, 90K)

man pages are a god send.

Do you think it'd be better to study CompSci or CompEng?

comp sci has more jobs in more locations

>generals
>/pol/
>Yea Forums
>desktop threads
>makishit
>frogposters
>"normie"
>"kys"
>sataniaposters
I don't know user, you tell me.

Do you want to work with programming in general or more with programming and the interaction of hardware? Embedded systems type stuff is getting bigger. CS has more job growth though

If it was the same difference as my old programs with Sci having more programming and Eng having more hardware, probably Eng. IoT is the latest craze and knowing how to do electronics helps. If you don't wanna be worried about exploding any expensive electronics stick to sci.

The real best thing to do would be to go to the school and ask to speak to the program co-ordinators and discuss with them what your goals and what the programs offer. I spoke extensively with mine at the start and was able to choose a program that I was happy with.

You can/should aim for software engineering doing both. Doesn't matter imo.

Attached: 1549728912917.png (661x483, 108K)

Pre-emptive mocking debiru for the webdev posts

Attached: mocking debiru.jpg (339x435, 43K)

It's cruel to make fun of the disabled.

Attached: c44.png (1920x1080, 1.06M)

>broken shift key
>no punctuation
Sure you're not.

Yea Forums is a lowercase punctuation free platform otherwise you get called reddit

it also proves you aren't a dirty phoneposter or care enough to not look like a phoneposter

>>German
>>French
>Unless you plan on living in countries where people speak those languages, or want to dedicate yourself to masturbating over Hegel and Proust, like any starving Humanitiesfag would, it probably won't benefit you much.
Except, that if you learn two of the most important languages in the world, your brain learns how to think in two new and different ways.
To put it extremely simply, it's like to get two extra brains.

Besides, who in their right mind would speak just one or two languages in the year 2019? It's a waste of life, it's living in the dark unaware of what's going on around oneself.

cringe

>Except, that if you learn two of the most important languages in the world
Not even top 3.

I just want to create an AI of my daughter. How hard is it?

Attached: sicp_sophie.jpg (1280x720, 790K)

Vampire Gabu > Angel Gabu

Attached: __sophie_twilight_tonari_no_kyuuketsuki_san_drawn_by_hinata_masaki__19a494ee20761d715759ef163606a7fb (776x1000, 263K)

Attached: c40.jpg (1920x1080, 480K)

So what's with this book? Is it just a meme or is it actually good?

Attached: freddie sicp.jpg (640x480, 65K)

What makes programing fun?

The power to fuck shit up.

Attached: Hinata.jpg (800x800, 91K)

comfy read

Attached: c35.png (1700x1700, 2.45M)

It got taken over by consumerist bugpeople whose idea of a quality thread is "What cheap Chinese garbage have you consumed lately?" or "Validate me dropping another two paychecks on the latest marginal-improvement hypebeast bullshit Intel or Nvidia barfed out" and maybe, just maybe "Look at my studio apartment full of audiophile snakeoil speaker bullshit that I can't use without getting evicted for disturbing my neighbors" once in a blue moon.

When they do discuss programming they're insanely unrealistic about what people should be able to do by themselves and will shit on you for not being able to build your own AAA game from the ground up in Assembly language if you so much as ask for help in the programming threads.

>Computer science

Attached: 1547489081926.png (1275x1079, 1.63M)

It's considered obsolete by most people who teach programming outside of /g/.

There's plenty of other good intro programming books in several languages that are actually used outside of academia.

The MIT course that used it and the version of Lisp it pushes got replaced by a newer course that uses Python years ago.

It's not a bad book but it's just not the best place to start anymore.

>being a retard

Attached: c31.png (1163x943, 620K)

Attached: 1505546396485.png (865x1645, 1.26M)

if you cant answer this by yourself dont even get into anything computer related

>Reading shit like this to tell people to unplug their computer
>Not getting into chad biology and genetics

Attached: 5548B630-7A2D-494F-975E-39F07E0C9859.png (400x400, 179K)

>not the best place to start anymore.
Bullshit. It's the best introduction to programming anyone could ever get. Simplicity over anything else let's you focus on the actual meat, the fun parts. And as such it's a great text book. Tossing beginners into Python, C, or Java, or what not is just wrong, with all the bullshit going on everywhere only to get a fucking hello world.

>entry level job
>solve pic in 45 minutes to move to next phase of interviews
JUST

Attached: 1528678312193.png (851x846, 573K)

Drop at floor 14, 27, 39, etc. When the first egg breaks, start from above the previous floor and go up one at a time.
Binary search.
Markov chain.

I'll take my 200k FAANG job now.

>1. binary search, easy as pie
>2. uhhm, so the numbers are all distinct hu?
>3. oh, nooo
You just suck. Anyone should be able to do this in like 10 minutes tops.

these kinds of tests are to measure your problem solving, not your coding ability. IE. in the first problem y would just start dropping eggs in the first floor and start going up in 2 floor intervals, as the floor number 1 might be the floor where the egg breaks.

>start dropping eggs in the first floor and start going up in 2 floor intervals, as the floor number 1 might be the floor where the egg breaks.
I would not hire you.

Attached: 1541483943580.jpg (361x361, 17K)

I was a shop kid in high school and didn't start programming until I got into college for CS because I lived in rural bumfuck nowhere.

For me it's the same satisfaction I get out of building something with my own hands and taking pride in all the effort I put into getting it there.

Holy fucking brainlet.
1. Binary search
2. Dynamic programming with memoization and a 2D array.
3. Wanna say 50/50 beacuse I've seen this one somewhere else solved but I don't have time to grind out the math.

With how technical it is I don't think beginning programming is its main appeal anyway, unless you want a very conceptual beginning

Attached: thinking.jpg (1156x720, 114K)

A lot of old /g/ posters I knew from IRC don't browse Yea Forums anymore, or use Discord or Matrix. LAMMJohnson is off doing cool EE stuff, idk about MarisaKirisame, etc.

The friendly GNU/Linux threads are pretty comfy.

Attached: staxloli.png (871x883, 887K)

Take a look at Comp Eng as well.

Aren't you supposed to be laughing at the iToddlers?

>binary search
oh no no no

/g/ unironically believes that it's the best place to start even if you've never written a single line of code in your life though.

This causes a lot of people to (somewhat rightly) assume /g/ are a bunch of script kiddies who have no idea what they're talking about and just copy/paste from Google and Stack Overflow for literally everything and communicate solely with stupid borderline-avatarfag reaction images unironically.

>idk about MarisaKirisame

>Drop at floor 14, 27, 39, etc. When the first egg breaks, start from above the previous floor and go up one at a time.
Why?
>Markov chain.
Closed form solution please.

>Discord
Guess they were irredeemable faggots then. Good riddance.

>idk about MarisaKirisame
If it's the same person from old /k/, they left for Opchan a while back but have been totally silent everywhere for a good minute now.

But it is an excellent place to start, if you really work through it (reading doesn't cut it). Much better than programming some shitty game in whatever language, because games are fun (no your shitty 2d shooter, or ping pong isn't fun, faggot. Newton's method, now that's fun!). Granted, a bit of a mathematical education is probably required for this.

>binary search
And dropped.
Amazing how so many people keep getting the egg problem wrong when it's in a popular book. Fucking hell.
What is with the state of CS programs these days?

What book is egg problem in? CTCI?

>Why?
Because I fucking feel like it. And it minimizes the worst case scenario.
>Closed form solution please
There is no closed form solution. There is obviously a recurrence relation and base cases, but that is not a closed form solution unless expanded to an unreasonable degree.

What's wrong about a binary search here? I mean, we're assuming that we don't know anything about the egg, what kind of egg anyways?

/g/ shills How to Design Programs more than SICP lately

>There is no closed form solution.
There's a very simple one actually.

Attached: 1550022012515.png (371x353, 148K)

I don't need to read this memebook because I'm an EEchad.

Yeah gamedev isn't a good start either because you're the literal field nigger of the industry if you do it for work and a lot of the programming practices it teaches are considered bad habits everywhere else.

The solution to the exact problem in the image is 4/105 but there is no way you would have gotten that analytically.

Binary search for the first one.

For the second one, presumably a local minimum is a number that is smaller than all of the numbers around it. For this, you start from the first number, check its nearest neighbours until you find a lower number, then move to that one and repeat until all neighbours are higher than it.

The third is a combinatorial + probability + recurrence relation one or something.

>Dynamic programming with memoization and a 2D array.

That sounds you literally quoted it directly from a textbook answer.

Pretty sure the third one's just 80/20 and all the other shit in the question is a red herring designed to get your to overthink it.

I'm with
and don't even understand the problem properly.

>Dynamic programming with memoization and a 2D array.
no...

>For this, you start from the first number, check its nearest neighbours until you find a lower number, then move to that one and repeat until all neighbours are higher than it.
This is O(n^2).

I already told you the answer was binary search.

Yeah I was just thinking that. It's the naiive approach.

The answer is 80/((20+1)(80+20))

My DS/Algos class was taught verbatim from a shitty textbook.

I had to grind through a retarded number of problems just like this.

I'm sure there's a slicker-looking way to do it but doing it with DP and memoization will give you O(n) if you implement it right.

Binary search assumes they're in order, idiot.

No they don't. You obviously don't know what I am binary searching on.

>I'm sure there's a slicker-looking way to do it but doing it with DP and memoization will give you O(n) if you implement it right.
It won't. You haven't event described what to do.

Attached: cargo_cult.jpg (1280x720, 81K)

Dafuq? The only way binary search works is if what you're searching over is in order.

Oh, you want the answer within your lifetime? Now, that's going to cost you way more. Time to pony up.

Again, there is no way you would have figured it out analytically.

He's using binary search as synonym for divide and conquer.

Why? That solution is correct for any initial parameters.

No I'm not. Divide and conquer would mean I would be going down both paths.

So you just magically came up with the solution from out of thin air and proved it by induction?

ign.com/code-foo/2019

>the absolute state of IGN
>Can't even give coding challenges without translating it into BING BING WAHOO basedspeak first
"My dreams are all dead and buried, sometimes I wish the sun would just explode..."

Attached: 1440947055973.jpg (335x525, 46K)

Take the CMS Course at CalTech, best combination of Maths and CompSci. Otherwise dont.

Attached: proof.jpg (111x24, 1K)

The moments when you feel like a genius for solving a hard problem or get into a good flow on simply problems and feel like a god shaping your virtual domain.

I really recommend lainchan. It's a pretty non toxic image board . Pretty slow though

>You have an nxn grid of distinct numbers. Give an algorithm to determine a local minimum in O(n).

Each number is distinct, meaning that if we see a number, we won't see it again in the grid, reducing the remaining neighbour possibilities.

If each number is unique, it can also be treated like a distinct node in a network.

okay

I'm loving this discussion of anime.

>okay
What, are you a fucking interviewer waiting for me to give you the right answer?

stackoverflow.com/questions/18525179/find-local-minimum-in-n-x-n-matrix-in-on-time

It's fascinating.

How big of a meme is the Information Systems discipline? And what are good documentation practices?

there's nothing wrong with starting with it and all the elitism about it because it's not your preferred puzzle is shit and you're all shit. plus if you take a random marathon math problem or fizzbuzz to code that gives you practically nothing about the overall structure of a bigger program. usually you coded a single math function vs an actual if small program that might use a math function, ok.
>if you do it for work
we were just talking about starting with it though
>programming practices it teaches
?

In short, you don't learn anything from starting out with gamedev besides gamedev niche shit.

Unity and Unreal Engine might as well be their own programming languages and do too much for you as a beginner.

The half-assed C# or C++ you'll learn from there doesn't really translate well into doing anything else with it.

I can't tell if you're retarded or just pretending. If you're not pretending, then kys.

Fuck that, I'm self-taught.
You can't learn programming by reading a fucking book, you do it by writing 1000+ programs.

>Each number is distinct, meaning that if we see a number, we won't see it again in the grid, reducing the remaining neighbour possibilities.

>If each number is unique, it can also be treated like a distinct node in a network.

>retarded

But it's right, user. Anyway, you're way too late to the game; the answer is here you fuck:

shit meme book

I-is there some something I should know about MinGW?

I saw the link to the answer, and it has nothing to do with whatever bullshit you just said, retard

I never said it had anything to do with what I said you moron. I was saying that the answer has been posted, so you can fuck off now.

Go neck yourself.

You too dude

Kys retard

brilliant.org/practice/egg-dropping/
interviewcake.com/question/java/two-egg-problem

I can't believe how many people here don't know about this.

Now do k eggs.

*kegels

Is this book a meme? Is it even worth learning to code? If so what’s the best way to do it?

cppreference.com

Picking up the fundamentals of coding is always good, even if you don't use it for more than the odd script. I'm not a coder, but I know how to fix typos in different languages as I have a grip of how code behaves in general.

Attached: gabu.jpg (576x512, 53K)

You only have two eggs, and every time your comparison function (dropping the egg) returns that the floor is too high (by the egg smashing), you have one less egg.

Off the top of my head,

n=1
while egg not smashed {
drop egg
n*=2}
n*=0.5
while other egg not smashed {
n+=1
drop other egg}

Expected runtime log(n)+0.5n

Actually a linear search would be better, with step size 1 in the second pass, and step size in the first pass being whatever minimises (100/n)+n.