Should i watch this...

Should i watch this? I've already watched the 1987 adaptation some time ago and recently i've finished Devilman: crybaby (and it was pretty disappointing if you ask myself, the only major good thing was the soundtrack). The animations seem pretty fantastic in this one, but story wise i don't know anything aside from the first episode, so is the story good enough that it will take me through all 26 episodes without plotholes and boredom?

Attached: Devil_Lady-cover.jpg (1119x1297, 380K)

Apparently this is nothing like the manga but its pretty dope

Well i'm off wasting 10.5 hours of my life then

One question tho: is it a good or a bad thing that it's a total different thing from the manga?

there is no definitive answer, since both are love it or hate it.

It's pretty good.
Nothing exceptional and you could potentially run the risk of raging pretty fucking hard depending whether or not you care about specific characters and plot developments but, overall, I'd give it a 6.5/10. 7/10, if you consider Jun a particularly good MC

Yes. It's the best version.

>crybaby was a disappointment
Nani sore?!

Memes aside I am curious as to what didn't do it for you. Usually the complaints about crybaby are sperging out about the art or the modernization. If you got something interesting to add to the table It'd be cool to hear.

I'm not saying that it was bad, in fact i said it was a disappointment for me since i expected a new plot or something more fleshed out that the original. But we got a season that tried to tell the original story in 10 episodes instead of 29, wich made the development of the story and characters so fast and without much explanation and therefore i didn't care much about other characters aside from the main protagonist. And you can't say that the animation is good, cause everyone can tell you that it doesn't look right (and i could write you an entire paragraph on why it could have been so much better if it wasn't so rushed and on a budget).
Anyway i started watching the devil lady spin-off, and visually, for being made in 1997, is so much better.

The manga is like 80% monster rape, so you decide

just read the manga, the anime is nothing like the manga.

Dude, reading the manga does not mean that it's always better that the adaptation, and seeing some review online, this is one of those cases

>reviews
If we follow online reviews, the original Devilman manga is dated, full of toxic masculinity and only valuable as an inspiración to far superior works like Crybaby. Also Nagai is a Russian misoginistic troll

About the speed it's genuinely the first valid criticism I heard about the show. I personally liked the pacing of the show, but I also like faster shows, I can understand where somebody who's pacing preference is slower might not like it.

As for the animation you are objectively wrong.
Not only that there was no rushing or budget issues, any professional animator you would go to would tell you that it's phenomenal. The people who have complaints about it are always non animators. It's understandable if you were taken back by the style, I talked to one of my friends who's also an animator that said it was uniquely ugly. It is also very different from the cel aesthetics so if you came into if from the 80s ovas and tried watching it you would probably be taken back by the style change.
Just in case a word of some guy on the internet ain't enough, there's an interview of the head of produciton IG in a documentary about one of yuasa's where he says about yuasa ( the director of crybaby) That he has a style that some people may be taken back when seeing it and mistake it for amature work or a mistake where it's very deliberate.

P.S. most of the losers dissing the animation quality are bitching about flash like idiots.

>full of toxic masculinity
don't forget muh antisemitism

Attached: Dd2p8FrVAAAwKUP.jpg (750x1175, 216K)

Fair enough, but i still stand that they should've gone for a different look that the one that ended up in Crybaby, maybe with a more dark and "serious" tone and with more details overall. Besides that, you're right that i like the late 90's and early 00's stile of animation, and much probably that is the reason why i repudiate the new look in the serie, and i'm pretty sure that i won't change mind about that

I do hjave to say, while I like the style of the show I have a special place in my heart for the good ol 80s and 90s cel style. Very few studios, creators, and styles in modern day come even close.

(me) I like Early 00s a lot too.

Sasuga go nagai

I'm at episode 10 of devil lady now, and i have to say that i'm liking it so far. For now the story hasn't progress that much, but seeing the fight between Jun and the other beasts is pretty entertaining.

Might have to start picking up the oldschool devilman stuff too. Wanted to for a while.

The anime is more about existential dread and atmospheric horror, heavily focused on tightly documenting Jun’s personal journey as a Devilman with a touch of gore. Fantastic directing and writing, but the actual animation is quite limited and things are off model a bit too much.The manga has a ton of demon rape filler
with lessons on gnostic theology and Jung interspersed in and is some insane epic sequel to the original manga. One arc in it is legitimately Go Nagai’s best work.