Why did Rei appear to Shinji at the beginning of NGE?

Why did Rei appear to Shinji at the beginning of NGE?

Attached: file.png (1122x763, 547K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/0AY27gLWhtM?t=899
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

to bookmark the beginning of instrumentality

after rei becomes a god in the end she can be anywhere in space and time.

meant for OP

I believe Rei transcends time, so she appears there at the start to see Shinji "off" one last time so to speak, before she dies for good.
Its complicated, maybe one of the reasons why she feels so confused during the entirety of the series is because she is experiencing a weird sense of being misplaced, maybe existing on multiple planes, maybe existing at all times, maybe not, honestly Rei is hard to grasp once you go into this weird time related rabbithole.
I like to just think of Rei as someone who feels dettached from the world purely because of knowing she can be replaced, maybe she also feels her soul is different, she might even feel weirdly connected to the world.

Its also interesting thinking about how in reverse to their importance and scope, Rei being an all encompassing being at some point longs for individuality and being able to make her own choices and be herself, Asuka wants to be recognized by the ones who love her and Shinji wants to be understood by the "world"
Maybe Im not making much sense but NGE is easier to think in symbols rather than trying with words.
hope it sparks some discussion however.

the people she wants to be loved by* in regards to Asuka, but in general just any sort of validation works, altough I think only real bonds and love would appease her, her carnal and attention showers desires are a front to some extent and pale in comparion to true understanding and meaningful connections.

The same reason she appears in the end of EoE. It's the same shot, remember?

>Why did Rei appear to Shinji at the beginning of NGE?
because she became "GOD"

Attached: Quantum Rei.jpg (640x386, 18K)

loop repeats after his death
shinji dies in eva 4.44
rebuild was an anime planned 20+ years in advance

I would love that

I hope you're not saying Anno planned rebuild to be shit and ruin the point of the original just to fuck with people.
I hate this idea, rebuild in my mind is just useless, an unnecessary continuation that adds nothing to the overal message and themes.
Maybe I dont see the point, if someone would like to explain to me the point of the time loops other than "people dont learn" or some shit I would be happy, because if that is the case, EoE did it better and much more subtly during one of the last scenes, but it is also left up to intepretation.

Why would you think that Rei dies?

>more subtly
that is the point user, it was made to appeal to a wider audience

Except it didn’t need to appeal to a wider audience. NGE is the best selling anime tv show ever.

>best selling
manga sold 23 million copies alone which is significant.
without eva the entire industry would have been dead

Attached: Eva_plot_summary.gif (640x480, 1.97M)

Why would it need to?
Eva is one if not the most famous shows ever.

interesting take, I always thought Rei just fades away after her physical body dies and that scene on the beach is just Rei watching over Shinji and the world one last time, but her soul might still linger around, since she has the soul of lilith that might be the case.
However, I always thought that one of the points of the ending is leaving people in a godless world, we seem multiple times humanity wanting to transcend and find ways to avoid their reality, but in the end, escapism dies through the death of Lilith, and people go back to earth (those who wish to do so).
I mean, I suppose death in itself could be considered some sort of escapism but Shinji didnt choose that and I think thats the message conveyed, choosing life over a final solution and trying to do the most we can, I imagine its easier once you understand other humans and see the pain they've been through, its a shame the planet is probably fucked with no way to regrow crops and such.
But then again, the point isnt what happens to them, its what the viewer takes, I always felt nge was just the means to an end which was to help jap kids understand they shouldnt shut themselves off the world.

But that's because Eva manga is the best Eva iteration.

Rei doesn't even need to linger after death if she's time travelling. Omnipotence for a second is the same as omnipotence for every second, at any instant between becoming big and dying she could send an instance of herself to whenever and see as much then as she cares to.

Attached: this was also a spectRei.jpg (1440x1080, 173K)

>best Eva iteration
>ruins all characterization
>ruins the ending

I suppose so, I never really wrapped my head around the time business entirely, I have trouble understanding it because its not something we can truly understand in real life either.
but it is possible that during those moments she did whatever she wanted to, including travelling to the past, future, reaping souls, talking to Shinji etc.
During ep 26, Rei is talking to Shinji right? When we see everyone giving advice and leading shinji closer to the "truth" so to speak.
I imagine its either Rei alone serving as a messenger for everyone's thoughts and emotions, Rei by herself, or maybe it really was everyone, but since Kaji was dead before instrumentality and he was seen in that scene, Im more inclined to thinking it was just Rei's doing.

If Rei can travel to episode 1 she can travel to right before Kaji’s death. Like she did with Misato and Ritsuko.

are you implying she somehow brought their souls into instrumentality?

this was meant for you

Both with Misato and Ritsuko it is obvious since we see ghost Rei right before both of their death. Which occur before third impact.
If Kaji is in instrumentality we have to assume she did the same for him.

right, it would also explain how Yui is in instrumentality since we see Rei infront of the unit 01 that will float endlessly in space, (I suppose she was there to free Yui's soul).
Maybe she could lead people to the afterlife too, or maybe not, that would probably be beyond her jurisdiction so to speak.
Its plausible she tried to gather the people important to Shinji in order to teach him the lesson he needed, thats why she felt the need to watch over him during the series and gather everyone's soul for the instrumentality "inside shinji's mind".

Because from a narrative perspective, this marks the point where everything is "predetermined". From when Shinji sees this, there is nothing that can be done to stop the Third Impact from happening, because the writers are going to write it that way. The cast literally has no agency as they are only fictional characters. When Rei appears again at the end, it means that Shinji, Asuka, and anyone else who returns now has the ability to choose their own fates and make meaningful decisions - the rest of their lives have just begun, so to speak, and so the narrative, the story itself, must end.
This utter headcanon tripe is why I really hope the sequel theory isn't true. I like believing my own cracktheory.

Attached: teh final rei.jpg (720x450, 49K)

It kinda makes sense thanks too the death sea scrolls which predicts the future up until the third impact in the show. And every action NERV and SEELE takes are based on these.

What do you mean by bookmark it?

see pic of

It’s something you use to mark a place in a book, and here it is used to mark the beginning and the end.

So the characters are aware they're part of a fictional universe?

>shinji trying to save asuka is bad
>shinji having an expanded relationship with rei is bad
huh

To hook viewers
anno would tell you that himself if he had any balls

Sounds fair to me because that is how causality works. Rei couldn't appear there unless something was guaranteed to happen in the future that would enable her to do it.

Attached: reibuilt.jpg (1920x1080, 202K)

Shinji saves Asuka in the show as well.
And Shinji didn’t really need an expanded relationship with Rei. But even if you think that is nice it doesn’t excuse all the other things that are shit about it.

youtu.be/0AY27gLWhtM?t=899
:(

You remember how the manga started in advance of the show for advertisement and was working from an early outline for the story?

Attached: 9 months before episode 1, what's missing.jpg (900x4080, 1.17M)

Asuka shouldn’t be saved there it ruins the entire point and letting him even try changes Yui’s character for the worse.

No.
I watched the anime as a kid in 2000's via a channel that no longer exists However, I have read the manga ( a decade later)
it used to air gundam/eva/trigun/samurai champloo/cowboy bepop/FMP/FMA/INUYASHA/shin chan/voltron/old boogiepop/hokuto no ken and probably couple of dozen shows that i can't recall

I dont think most people remember that, but what are you exactly implying? this? In any case, during those 9 months some ideas could be thrown around and of course the end result will be different, Im sure nge suffered a lot of changes and rewrites as Anno went along because piecing something like this requires a lot of thought and Anno probably struggled with what he wanted to do and how he wanted to do it.

Nobody would remember experiencing that unless they lived in Japan in the mid 90s.

Attached: asuka2.jpg (381x392, 43K)

Noob here, how the hell does Shinji not know the existence of Angels?

To this day i still remember Kaworu killing that cat

She is Rei/Lilith