Evangelion

>There still exist people who take the "muh religious symbolism just looked cool" comment at face value
Is there any other anime which exposes plebs so easily and consistently? It takes such a tiny amount of effort to realise there's clearly more to it than that, yet so many fail anyway.

Attached: eva-01 angry.gif (316x179, 356K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4HALL5-PZu4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm gonna post this here because the Yea Forums thread got 404'd before anyone could answer me

A couple questions I don't have answers to
If Gendo and Seele both wanted instrumentality then why did Gendo go against them? Did Gendo want to be the only one?
What was up with the guy in the bottom middle of 's picture?
Like why when instrumentality happened did he turn to goo instead of splashing?
What was the tiny ball of light that left his "body" after that?
Why was he mostly tubes and tech instead of actual human?

These are pretty much the only questions I wouldn't be able to give some form of answer to if someone asked me

Attached: 1550688352744.jpg (2977x2655, 2.07M)

Exactly. When Anno literally said he only included it for aesthetic reasons, he was obviously just oblivious to what a true genius he is, and he didn't realize how extensively and meticulously he had subconsciously planned out the incredibly deep and thought provoking themes and imagery. Truly based Anno is of a transcendent mind that even he cannot fully grasp. Praise our Lord Anno.

>If Gendo and Seele both wanted instrumentality then why did Gendo go against them?
They both wanted to control it to the greatest extent possible. Gendo's goals are quite clear, he wants to be reunited with Yui, and probably wants a "section" of instrumentality just for them that nobody else can intrude into. SEELE's goals are a bit less clear but given that they are basically the illuminati, they probably just want to have the same influence over Instrumentality that they do over the normal world. It's interesting that they have no objections when Rei hijacks things, though.
>What was up with the guy in the bottom middle of pic related?
You mean the guy with the visor? That's Keel, the chairman of SEELE. He turned into LCL just like everyone else, it's exactly the same.
>What was the tiny ball of light that left his "body" after that?
I'd need a picture to confirm, but it was probably just representative of his soul.
>Why was he mostly tubes and tech?
Because he was a fucking old man and reliant on that shit to survive. It's just part of his persona as a fairly typical "old dude clinging to power" sort of character. It's one more way in which it's "wrong" for him to have as much influence as he does - by nature alone, he probably wouldn't even be alive.

Attached: asuka shrug.jpg (1440x1080, 235K)

It's not subtle, man. They use religious symbolism all the time to make actual points in the show. The classic example is the "Wall of Jericho" scene, where the whole point is that the most famous thing that wall ever does is fall. Anno could've equally used the Walls of Babylon, or the Berlin Wall to have the same meaning, but by using a strictly religious example he is building upon the already-established parallels between Eva and the Judeo-Christian world. And in other examples it is used as characterisation (for example the colossal Sephirot on the ceiling of Gendo's office, where the topmost position "Keter" or "Crown" is right above his desk, an early suggestion of his true ambitions).

>I'd need a picture to confirm, but it was probably just representative of his soul.
Sorry for bad quality, the one I downloaded is in shit resolution
I'm just confused as to why this only happened for him and also why he was the only one to "melt" into LCL where everyone else sort of exploded into it

Attached: Keel.png (1648x857, 700K)

- hendo wanted to be in control of instrumentality. Seele wanted it to be them.
-instrumentality required humanity as a whole, but he had rei created to be the control panel to which he can give godly commands too.
- that guy was one of the seele leaders. when your soul is freed from its body the body returns to its basic state, the LCL/primordial soup we all came from.
basically the human body is humanities AT field when the soul leaves the body gets tanged.
- his name is Keagal btw, he was a live for a very long time, science was way ahead than what public actually knew. so he is a cyborg keeping himself alive.

>SEELE's goals are a bit less clear but given that they are basically the illuminati, they probably just want to have the same influence over Instrumentality that they do over the normal world. It's interesting that they have no objections when Rei hijacks things, though.
I always assumed they were like religious fanatics, who wanted to have instrumenatlity just for the sake of it. While Gendo, as you rightfully pointed out, had very personal reasons and didn't care for the ivent itself.

you just saw his soul being taken, and collected into the eye of Guff. this is where the souls were being collected.

humanity reached the peak of their evolution. so the only way to evolve further was to become a God. that's why they did it.

I had always assumed that Seele were mostly just old men that were afraid of death.

The religious symbolism is a red herring for stupid people, whether they like evangelion or not. No one who earnestly likes this show thinks the symbolism is what makes it deep.

But if SEELE simply want instrumentality by any means, why bother trying to stop Gendo and NERV at the end? Why bother fighting the Angels at all when they're also trying to start Third Impact?

This. The chairman was fitted with robotic parts to extend his life and wellbeing, and instrumentality was the logical final conclusion for him.

That's not how Gendo presented to them. He intends something else, but he's telling them no Instrumentality, he looks like he's opposing the whole thing and he's looked like that since throwing the Spear away. Seele think Gendo was trying to use them to kill the Angels and then back out of the real plan to save humanity, leaving the species to falter and die out at an evolutionary dead end on a half-dead planet after expending all their resources on a war they'd never recover from.

Attached: 1540138666887.webm (1280x720, 2.61M)

>they are basically the Illuminati
They're literally the fucking jews.

Blade runner 2049 is good but it's not really comparable to eva.

Also, the whole idea of ''instrumentality'' is a common spiritual concept of a soul-monad or singularity of conscious being. Angels are ''correcting'' and punishing the path of humans, Israelites experienced the same (though slightly altered) in the OT.

Evangelion as a whole is thematically centered about navigating an ''incomplete'' ontological world - for the self at least. Shinji realizes that the pain of incompleteness is balanced by the will to face it - as the title of the 26th episode says: The Beast Who Shouted ''Love/I'' at the Heart of the World. Kind of Dionysian ala. Nietzsche. It is a pretty traditional existentialist statement, imbued with cool sci-fi ideas and interesting characters.

OP is a pretentious pseud who just rewatched Evangelion after taking Intro to Philosophy and thinking Berkeley's Solipsist writing is OMG SO DEEP

Only plebs like eva

>solipsism
>evangelion
No. Evangelion doesn't even imply anything of the sort.

I wish I was still excited for 3.0+1.0. The few little sneak peaks they released look like dogshit. What happened to subtlety and the less is more approach? Fuck.

Compare the new trailer to this.

youtube.com/watch?v=4HALL5-PZu4

misato anno ritsuko

Attached: 1548956773129.jpg (1024x768, 110K)

Why hasn't Anno talked about the religious elements and what they mean then, like he has for stuff like the Freudian aspects?
>The classic example is the "Wall of Jericho" scene, where the whole point is that the most famous thing that wall ever does is fall
And you've outed yourself as a retard, that's a reference to the 1934 film It Happened One Night, not the Bible directly.

>If Gendo and Seele both wanted instrumentality then why did Gendo go against them?
Gendo wants Instrumentality (and gets it in the TV ending), what SEELE wants is unclear, though they call it Instrumentality it almost certainly isn't what happens in either the TV ending or EoE.

You do realize this show was basically anime Ultraman with superficial religious bullshit added in to make yourselves feel smart and educated. Anno hasn't done anything worthwhile beyond the Godzilla movie and subsequent EVA movie cocks that you otakufags will gobble regardless of whether it's good or not.

This reads like satire

Attached: NERV Logo.png (414x379, 14K)

>that's actually a reference to a film nobody has ever seen, not the most famous book ever made which the rest of the show references constantly
I hope you have some damn good evidence for this, fampai.

>nobody has ever seen
I always knew Evafags were plebs, but this is embarrassing.

The fucking Renewal/Platinum booklets, ever heard of those?

The content or the way i write? I'm ESL, so that's maybe why. The post itself was written in all seriousness, although a bit shallow and brief. (what can really be explained thoroughly in a Yea Forums post?)

Yes, I just looked in mine to find the passage you are talking about, you think that counts as proof? I am unconvinced. That booklet has a few hot takes in it, which I like actually because it's interesting and shows an actual attempt to present an understanding of the show, but there's no way it's right about everything it says.
Ultimately, between referencing the Bible quite vaguely, or an older film more specifically (with regards to another border separating sleeping areas), I still think the former is more likely and both Eva and this film happened to make the same reference.

Attached: 1274833574971.jpg (1920x1080, 231K)

[PS1 CGI INTENSIFIES]

>it's deep because it shows what this biblical book told us
The book of genesis didn't tell us a story of adam and even and what not, it tells us a story about human condition. Evangelion borrows imaginery from the genesis a lot, but tells a lot different story about human condition. That's why people say it's there just to look cool; because WHAT THE STORY IS ABOUT is very different.

Yes the wall that fell was was wall of jericho. But do you really think the story about wall of jericho was a documentary about a wall that fell? No, there was an abstract concept behind it, and evangelion didn't mirror that concept at all. It just had a wall that fell

That's mostly true. Evangelion uses religion as a storytelling tool. It isn't making commentaries on religion. This is what is actually meant by the quote "There is no Christian meaning to Evangelion". When Evangelion makes parallels between Third Impact and the Rapture, it isn't implying that the cause of Third Impact is the same as the cause of the Rapture or anything like that, it's just useful to convey the idea of apocalypse in that way. So, does that mean there's no significance beyond the aesthetic level? I say no, it doesn't, because Eva uses Biblical symbolism to enhance its own story, even if it isn't commenting on the Biblical story. I know it's quite cheap to repeat examples but it's one I really like, so the pic related where Gendo places himself at the head of the Sephirot is a clear example of religious symbolism enhancing and adding depth to the story we are told, because it tells us about Gendo's true goals from a fairly early point in the series, and it also tells us a bit about his character when he's otherwise almost entirely reserved about it - this is some of that arrogance from his youth shining through again, I feel, to give such a hint to those who are "in the know". He can't openly brag that he's plotting the end of the world, but part of him really wants to.

Attached: gendo's office.jpg (728x546, 40K)

Nah your English is good. I agree with your analysis but I guess the brevity of your post meant that reading words like "soul-monad" and "Dionysian" in such quick succession made me giggle. It's like you tried to parody what a self serious pretentious fan of Eva would write.

Pretty much this. People who dislike Eva never understood what it was about

lol. I think that was my way of summing it up. Well, there isn't much to be pretentious about - It is, after all, a simple Japanese cartoon. I think i wanted to illustrate that what Evangelion draws from isn't ''nothing'' but is built upon a multifaceted foundation that might be interesting to pick apart in context. I think that is one of the interesting parts, anyway. The ''ancestor'' of the ideas and themes.

Attached: 1548950027892.png (476x465, 50K)

This thread clearly doesn't either.

I mean, it was written with at least the help of Gainax, and generally its "hot takes" are less explicitly authoritative than the Wall of Jericho statement, which comes right before information on a Chinese proverb Asuka uses and details on the animation team.

>allusions can be used to mirror the state of a character even if the context and meaning of the story is different
I can admit there's some value in that, but I'll need to spend some time thinking just how much, and how significant it is. My gut instinct is that it's in some way cheap because you should be able to convey the same thing without referring to outside sources. But then if you DO portray it in your own work as well, what's the point of the allusion to begin with? If figuring out the symbolic meaning adds nothing to the character, then was it there just to wink at the audience? And if it does add some depth to the character, shouldn't that depth be in the work itself rather than as a reference to another work?

>There still exist people who take the "muh religious symbolism just looked cool" comment at face value
i do take somewhat at face value, anno himself couldnt communicate what exactly they symbolize and if he could simply explain everything about the show in words, there would no need to make the show in the first place. art is about communication, its not a puzzle. only dishonest art has a simple explanation behind every artistic choice. a true artist pushes himself to the edge, communicating ideas and concepts which he himself cannot consciously grasp or truly understand.

Attached: moth.gif (480x360, 580K)