Pic related makes half-a-billion opening weekend

>pic related makes half-a-billion opening weekend
>northman made $12 million in same time
what messages can be drawn here?

Attached: MV5BNWM0ZGJlMzMtZmYwMi00NzI3LTgzMzMtNjMzNjliNDRmZmFlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM1MTE1NDMx._V1_.jpg (1688x2500, 3.88M)

>Get woke go br---
Marvel can't be stopped desu. Eternals was the worst it got recently and that film broke even at worst.
North man looked boring and the cast looked even more so. Plus Vikings are boring.

superhero movies are still popular and the world isn't ready for a wave of savage kino yet

I'm worried the Superhero genre might actually be killing cinema. There's not much hype for anything else these days.

People like shit. MOM and Northman are shit.

It is unironically killing cinema

Not really, there's just little elese worth watching.
t. watcher

>Northman
>Shit

Retard? Northman was kino as fuck

Maybe they should try making a worthwhile movie if they dont want their trash to flop.

Northman was dogshit. The only reason people are shilling it on this board because it's not a superhero movie. I need more than vikings, yelling, and raping to be Kino.

The Marvel Universe is the new Mt. Olympus, a pantheon of gods to draw lessons from and to fellate. Civilization and decadence has no room for the simple Northman.

america loves it's baby movies and sludge

Because movies on the whole are typically bad nowadays. Glom on the Northman all you want, but it is neither a great nor particularly special.

It seems like now you either get soulless franchise movies that bait on your nostalgia for properties long past. OR you get "original" films which play to the arthouse crowd and yet are themselves bereft of any emotion or compelling characters and stories.

It's like people have lost that quality that makes movies a fun, universal experience. You're never again going to get movies like The Godfather, Ordinary People, American Graffiti, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, etc.

Every once in a while something good pops up. But it's been a long time since a legitimately all time "great" movie was made.

>capeshit is killing cinema
>everything everywhere is doing fine
>dune did fine
>the lost city did fine
huh

Yeah people have been overstating its decline for awhile. At this rate 10 more years of marvel until the industry manages to innovate.

marketing works best on under developed brains

>>northman made $12 million in same time
>what messages can be drawn here?
Nothing new, good movies are constantly failing at the box office.

Attached: 31016fc7772671fa16370786aa8dd92a.jpg (1920x1040, 256.97K)

Attached: 7473F4E0-E3DB-4E67-9199-63224A4C9283.jpg (647x474, 36.46K)

It's the only thing keeping cinema alive, there wouldn't be anywhere to dump shit (that should have been straight to streaming) like Northman if it wasn't for capeshit

>everything everywhere is doing fine
>dune did fine
I am sorry but how the fuck are these movies not capeshit?

No one likes watching semi-naked hobos living in mud huts.

It's been proven, time and time again, that audiences want their movies to have a cast that represent the people that live in it today, not some exclusionary fantasy version of Europe

People like good movies? Nobody wants what looks like another boring historical movie devoid of any colour where all the characters look bored, shit like this comes out on Netflix every year. Marketing and word of mouth really killed this movie off, if was good it would have been fine. Not every movie should make $90Mil just because it's arthouse, if cinema dies it's Egger's fault for having such an inflated budget with no audience in mind.

Attached: FPc_rhiXIAcrMmo.jpg (680x510, 86.39K)

Its expectation and delivery. The Northman was no Gladiator or Apocalypto but was advertised that way. Multiverse of Madness may be less "artistic" but it had the spectacle and fan service MCU fans expect.

Attached: Young-artist-falls-asleep-with-papier-maché-mask-of-Marlene-Dietrich-on-her-lap-1950.jpg (650x896, 165.87K)

So can't the mcu be stop at this point

>less artistic
What a dumb meaningless phrase

I saw Northmen in it's 2nd week, on Friday I think.
It was packed, I have never actually been in a cinema with out a single seat spare. I was sharing an arm rest with a stranger

People are retarded

Historical movies have never been that popular. Even braveheart and Gladiator weren’t anything impressive at the box office. What they were earned was only impressive for historical movies.

For some reason people just aren’t interested in the past.

God wait until they get their X-Men series off the ground. They'll be able to milk just that for another 10-15 years of stories easily. This shit is never going away.

>NOOOOOOOOOO YOU HAVE TO GO SEE THIS BAD MOVIE I LIKE BECAUSE UM....YOU JUST DO OK
Even the shills are bad at marketing

Historical movies have never been that popular. Even braveheart and Gladiator weren’t anything impressive at the box office. What they earned was only impressive for historical movies.

For some reason people just aren’t interested in the past.

Good, cinema needs something competent to keep standards this high and make enough money to keep theatres open while we wait for other studios to get their act together. We can't rely on people flopping around on shit like the Northman but it's good creators can just do what they like with big budgets, back in the day he would have had to make some shitty mass appeal Viking movie before they would give him the budget to make The Northman

Attached: ab99886cb443fbbdc3e53e996da8cba6.jpg (454x750, 38.51K)

Attached: 1650190899668.jpg (1124x1118, 175.73K)

You aren't getting those kind of movies, because for the 1st world life is boring and unique characters of people are not in life anymore. When normies began using the Internet people became way too universal on characteristics which before would be differential.

>that film broke even at worst.
Lmao that shit bombed, marvel is just big crossover event movies now

Retard

>Lmao that shit bombed,
No it made it's money back in fucking theatres user. If it bombed they would have delayed Spider-Man

This, a movie is either art or not. As Marty said and everybody agreed, marvel movies aren't art at all

No one gives a shit about vikings in 2022. Maybe if it was released 5 years earlier it would have been more popular.

It's hard to blame Disney for herding the niggercattle.

You bring up a good point. Tarantino made several smash hits and was a cultural icon before he started getting budgets as big as The Northman.

>movies are free
>marketing is free
>distribution is free and theaters are non profit
Disneymommy you know all these don't apply to DC movies exclusively right?

Cinema is actually dead, capeshit is the machine keeping the body breathing.

Attached: 257366797_4619052604847645_5619465369970389060_n.jpg (843x835, 222.14K)

Neither is The Northman

Attached: bud.jpg (300x61, 5.13K)

Don't spend $90Mil on a movie that takes place in a field?

There are plenty of All White historical movies with big budgets that people love and made money streaming, maybe The Northman is just bad?

Attached: outlawking.png (1920x803, 3.9M)

Life of Pi made 30 million on its opening weekend in the Western world and topped box offices in East Asia for weeks.

white cultural/history movies are box office poison

Personally I saw both, and I enjoyed both for different reasons. I don't know why someone would only choose one or the other besides maybe finding yourself in financial trouble yet still being able to pay for one movie ticket or some shit like that. Both succeed in their primarily function; to entertain. One by offering something easy to digest and point at and the other by offering a visual experience through some nice story telling. You can be a consoomer and still have taste, y'know

Attached: descarga.jpg (241x209, 7.31K)

When was the last time a historical movie made good money?

The biggest issue is people are just going to wait for stuff like Northman to come out on Netflix

Cinema effectively died around the mid 2000's. You could actually see the last bit of life squeezed out in numerous films during then or even the early 2010's. Disney owns 2/3 of the market now. They own it and shit out mediocrity. Hell they were shitting out mediocrity in the 2000's.

Heartbreaking, honestly.

The message is that if you arent a capeshit movie, try to have a marketing strategy that doesnt include a trailer thats 90% darkness and half naked white dude walking around unless youre showing him tearing a fuckers nuts off

>believing any disney number
I know from an insider that Cumberbatch netted $120k from the role. Everything else is just accounting fuckery

Eternals

Not really. Nobody wants to watch anything but a "clap and holler during the movie" film in a theatre. People want to watch films in their home, in privacy.

Whatever it makes is how much it makes user, whatever scummy accounting goes on behind the scenes doesn't effect Box Office numbers

Your kind are what killed it.

No, The Northman was a major disappointment. The fact you could watch a better historical movie at home for free picking randomly is good reason to not watch it in theatres at all

12 Years a Slave? They did very well for their budget.

>big companies can afford better marketing
>people like escapist fantasy more than they like history and mythology