Dragons

Given recent palaeontological evidence, should dragons in movies be depicted with feathers going forward?
Also general dragon thread. Some questions to break the ice
>why don't we see enough dragons in cinema anymore?
>are dragons wise and capricious or just animals?
>can dragons use magic, and if so do they learn it from a book?
>what film has the best dragon?
>wasn't it gay that they had a chinese "dragon" in shang chi?

Attached: Website-Circle-Template-Sessions-and-Classes-Dragon-Magick.jpg (800x800, 119.05K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterosauria
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatlus
dragonology.fandom.com/wiki/Hydra
britannica.com/topic/Hydra-Greek-mythology
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nice. I love dragons.
> Given recent palaeontological evidence, should dragons in movies be depicted with feathers going forward?
No since they’re just fantasy.
>why don't we see enough dragons in cinema anymore?
They’re really expensive, whether with practical effects for CGI. It’s also part of the general decline in renaissance-style/high fantasy in favor of sci-fi.
Wise always, may or may not talk.
Yes but they don’t need books. It’s inborn or passed down from dragon parents.
>what film has the best dragon?
Not film, but Merlin.
>wasn't it gay that they had a chinese "dragon" in shang chi?
Probably. There should really be a different name for them. Air serpents.

A dragon is not a dinosaur. If you want feathered mythological reptiles there's the quetzalcoatl

I was “too old for kids’ movies” when the How to Train movies came out, but watching them as an adult they were great. At least the first one was.

Attached: 48BBE817-AA81-46A8-8A4E-5782B22053B3.jpg (1789x1005, 266.69K)

I hate to do this to a fellow dragon enjoyer but
>It’s also part of the general decline in renaissance-style/high fantasy
Dragons belong in early medieval settings.
Also I don't necessarily like the idea of dragons having parents.
I think a dragon comes out of a stone egg which comes from a mysterious origin.

>quetzalcoatl
this dude dresses like a soundcloud rapper

Attached: 1024px-Quetzalcoatl_V.svg.png (1024x896, 438.75K)

idk but Saphira from Eragon is one of the best designed dragons in film. The feathers enhance he femininity and solidifies her alignment as the good guys

Attached: SaphiraFilm.png (380x380, 215.42K)

I loved that book, I can't remember if I ever saw the film.
Also in the book Eragon's relationship to the dragon was weirdly sexual.

I read the book as a kid, so I don't know if its actually good. The film is trash, wouldn't recommend it.
>in the book Eragon's relationship to the dragon was weirdly sexual
Based if true

Nothing really sexual happens with the dragon, but I had a boner while reading it.
Then again, I was at the age where it was rare for me to be flaccid.

they were all good, I even liked his flight suit with lightsaber.

They should be depicted as anthros with big big bulges.

the wings look too far down the body, they should be around the shoulders

>leather armour

Attached: winnie-the-pooh.jpg (2500x1250, 283.32K)

Whoops, my history knowledge is trash and I mixed up renaissance and Middle Ages.
Agreed on mysterious eggs.

Attached: 11B6B4FA-93F0-4534-91C2-420B205C75CB.jpg (1125x1980, 1.45M)

pic related is inevitable
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterosauria

Attached: Pterosauria-collage-01.jpg (2175x2276, 2.56M)

I remember reading the part in the second book where Eragon tells Arya he likes her or something and she just shoots him down. I went from giddy and excited to depressed and sad because my self insert character was rejected by the elf babe. Haven't read a book since.

Attached: dragon autism.jpg (1536x1080, 116.17K)

>we have Quetzalcoatl at home
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatlus

Attached: Gfp-quetzalcaotlus.jpg (2304x3040, 587.58K)

I think is actually a design choice lifted from the books, the dragons are designed for riders to be able to mount them at the base of the neck. You can even see the position of the saddle in the picture

>Also in the book Eragon's relationship to the dragon was weirdly sexual.
Proof?

Attached: 95882502_244189673356784_9144922354659360768_n.jpg (500x666, 22.83K)

Early middle ages is when people wrote about dragons the most.
Beowulf being where the most canonical dragon comes from, breathing fire and stuff. That was more than a 1000 years ago.
Renaissance guys were more into hunks.

I think I remember that.
I also remember when an elf babe was found strung up by her ankle in the forest. Very erotic.

It was vibes.

Attached: 800px-Beowulf_and_the_dragon.jpg (800x1029, 324.02K)

Wyverns look cool when they have fully formed foreclaws and flexible wings. I do like the wings being like prominent on the shoulders like with dragons, but something about the front limbs just hanging there as they fly like a cat being picked up looks gawky and weird.

how did things that big fly?

Hollow bones

I don't like that picture.
They're not all related like that like animals that evolve, they're magical.
There's also NO relationship between a hydra and a "drake".
What else is in the dragon family? An ogre? A sphyx? Fuck off, hydras have nothing to do with dragons whatsoever.

Life, uh, found a way

Attached: F1.large.jpg (1084x1280, 118.15K)

the atmosphere was different.

hydras are serpent like, same as dragons. Anything that looks lizardy is a dragon

Could I fuck a female dragon?

Attached: 20220318_182556.jpg (334x500, 50.19K)

Shut the FUCK up.
People like you unironically think dragons are full of flammable gas, and they keep a bit of flint in their mouth to ignite the gas when they want to breathe fire.
You dumb fuck, they're just full of fire, and hydras will never ever be dragons, end of story.

If you look like that, yes.

the GOT intro always bothered me cuz the dragon artwork crown thing has 4 legs, but in the show, they only have 2.

Attached: Doom_of_Valyria_Title_Sequence.jpg (1280x720, 101.3K)

I'm not exactly sure. I really like the Reign of Fire version where they're just an infestation basically of flying monsters, but I also do like them being smart and magical that sets them apart from just a cryptid or something

The only way a sane person can enjoy that movie is if they assume the dragons had mysterious ways that humans are not privy to.

count the legs you can see and it has 2

Behold, a dragon

Attached: 8CFB99AC-30F5-4CA0-958F-E0B0EF4E3919.jpg (320x180, 21.12K)

I guess the type of dragon depends on how it works within the story and the tone it will have. An intelligent, talking dragon works in a story that will make use of these elements.

Attached: MV5BMDIwYzJhMjgtNDI4OC00YTYzLWFlZDMtMTlkODhmYjNkMWU0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjk3NTUyOTc@._V1_.jpg (1191x500, 95.88K)

Wouldn't a twist to Reign of Fire work that revealed the main dragon was actually intelligent and could speak?

for me, the closest real-life animal to a dragon is a leafy sea dragon. when he's not busy looking like a salad, he's incredibly magical and majestic looking.

Attached: leafy sea dragon.jpg (800x573, 82.26K)

that's a real animal, not a mythical one

Shang chi was a Chinese movie...just saying.

Dragons almost always are at least somewhat intelligent in the majority of fantasy books written with them in them.

Some dragons could have some amount of feather down in patches, most do not.

A dragon by rule has 4 legs, if it has two, it is a whyrim, no exceptions. Authors who write whyrim's as dragons are morons.

Dragons are always written as magic inherently, they do not need to learn it, it usually comes from frozen elements they eat such as gemstones like sapphire or ruby & metals like gold/silver.

Dragons eat magically imbued items slowly over time, this is the treasure they collect.

Dragons blood usually will burn with flames to some extent due to they're inherently volatile nature.

They're stomach acid as you can imagine, is quite intense.

Nice , gonna traverse the astral plane and fuck a dragonussy brb

Attached: 1636358875305.jpg (1403x2000, 1.27M)

I'll accept the redditspacing and namefagging because of the high quality of your autism.

>hydras will never ever be dragons, end of story

>The hydra is a multiheaded dragon, with anywhere between 3 to 7 heads recorded, but there are rumors of them having many more. It is the only dragon that reproduces by splitting its head. It is also one of the only dragons with only two legs and two useless wings.
dragonology.fandom.com/wiki/Hydra

>Dragons eat magically imbued items slowly over time, this is the treasure they collect.
that's fucking stupid, they should eat livestock and people

What about Dragons and virgin maids? We never hear about Dragons wanting some pure loli anymore, its always just about treasure

>Hydra, also called the Lernean Hydra, in Greek legend, the offspring of Typhon and Echidna (according to the early Greek poet Hesiod’s Theogony), a gigantic water-snake-like monster with nine heads (the number varies), one of which was immortal. The monster’s haunt was the marshes of Lerna, near Árgos, from which he periodically emerged to harry the people and livestock of Lerna. Anyone who attempted to behead the Hydra found that as soon as one head was cut off, two more heads would emerge from the fresh wound.
britannica.com/topic/Hydra-Greek-mythology
Considering it was probably more than 1000 years after Hesiod died that anyone had ever heard of a dragon, I think the claim that they are related is BOGUS.

Btw, this is not the first time I've had VERY serious disagreements with the "dragonology" wikipedia.

step 1: capture virgin maid
step 2: bait simps who want to rescue her, even though she'll never reward the simp 'cause she's into black guys
step 3: eat the simps

and that's how you get easy meals everyday

>t. Im a dragon

Depends apon the story, some do.
Write a story about a dragon doing only that if its your preference.

The film Reign of fire and multiple dragon heart films already did that though.

>a gigantic water-snake-like monster
that's a sea serpent, a type of dragon

Thinking of starting a dragon figure collection, boys

stop thinking, do it.

Attached: ssshhhh.jpg (635x635, 27.64K)

How much dragon kino are we expecting from HOD? How much will make up for pozzed shit?

There is a real good antique store by me that has a huge toy section that regularly gets dragon toys. Thinking to ignore those fantasy Todd McFarlane toys and just collect cool figures I find

Attached: 1648764953272.png (640x537, 307.64K)

*fancy

sounds gay

That's a good idea user.
I think I want a statue of merlin and a statue of a dragon.
I have two glass orbs already.

How powerful do I need to be to kill that big dragon at the beginning of elden ring? I'm scared of it, haven't tried it yet

I really wanted to do a dragon theme with my new place but it’s pretty expensive to go full bore.

Attached: 58A485D9-0519-4BEF-96C9-AC15235FB6E1.jpg (364x498, 38.08K)

You sound gay

I was also afraid of it, and I fought it after a couple of legacy dungeons. It wasn't that bad in the end, especially on horseback. There are much much harder dragons in caelid.

I need to find more of those blade spell things. I've been doing an int/str build