Pirates

Rewatching this for the first time in what's gotta be 10 years. Literally every scene is memorable. And there's zero political pandering. Is it just nostalgia or is this peak disney? Will we ever reach this level of escapism kino again?

Also
>Your favourite side-character? Meaning anyone except Sparrow, Turner, Swan or Barbossa

Attached: 600Pirates[1].jpg (600x314, 185.84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lmplayer18
youtube.com/watch?v=GI6CfKcMhjY
youtube.com/watch?v=grwdjSS7D2E
youtube.com/watch?v=khsIOsZMAEo
youtube.com/watch?v=kSpnewpC8yk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

For me it's the parrot guy with the missing tongue. Also it's definitely peak disney, it's a fun adventure made to be a fun adventure. There's no black kweenz that have to talk about how much it sucked being a slave or whatever which is absolutely what would happen if it was made today.

Attached: Untitled.png (1140x800, 1.51M)

wtf I literally just finished rewatching Curse of the Black Pearl, get out of my head

>Your favourite side-character
Zoe

Attached: 32.jpg (1047x1572, 178.54K)

>There's no black kweenz
Wrong
See

>zero political pandering
did we watch the same film?

Attached: 1645780621918.png (810x601, 307.47K)

Wind in the sails!

If we're talking semi side character, I gotta go with Mr Gibbs. But if we're talking mega side character, orc pirate is fucking iconic

Attached: orcpirate.png (1281x537, 572.1K)

gibbs is not only the best side-character but the best character in the movies and not having him on your forced omission list means you're a moron

Interesting factoid:

Pirates of the Carribbean was made as a spinoff off a Disneyland rollercoaster. So was "Jungle Cruise".

A classic case of "great pirate minds think alike". Zoe is pretty cute
name one.

Was he based?

Attached: poster[1].jpg (1920x1080, 108.33K)

gibbs is kino

That's the worst commodore I've ever seen

Just don't be daft in her presence, seems to piss her off....

Just gotta get that pig stench off, and some rum in him, and he's ready for anything.

He's such a great character but I gotta say that's the worst attempt at dubs I've ever seen

Attached: zoe.png (1293x548, 659.43K)

Quickly

>first scene that comes to mind when you hear "Pirates of the Caribbean"

Attached: jbareham_200804_ply1034_0033_potc_johnny[1].jpg (1400x1050, 218.04K)

Ascended simp
Deserved a better protagonist story
Shouldn't have died a simp

I enjoyed the pomp of the English admirality.

Attached: lord beckett.jpg (936x688, 38.45K)

Back when Disney used heathenism as an insult. Good times

Attached: based2.png (1273x542, 727.61K)

Attached: agree.png (1300x547, 661.62K)

yes

It's nicely done, but could have used some tightening up to bring it in under 2 hours.

Is this the start of the third act? POTC is 2h23min. How did they get away with making such a long movie? Also, how do you separate the different acts? Does the film even follow that traditional structure?

Attached: acts.png (1287x534, 968.41K)

Haven't watched it in years but I'm baffled that it's so long. I remembered it fast and short (relatively).

someone give me a streaming link to watch. wanted to watch this for past few weeks but cba setting the blueray player up

Literally watched the trilogy during the last 3 days. It was really good. The first one being the ABSOLUTE kino, the others were pretty good but they didn't compare to the first.
Favorite side character? Jack. Not the sparrow.

I gotcha homie, queue thread deletion in 3....

lmplayer18
dot
xyz/movies/play/pirates-of-the-caribbean-the-curse-of-the-black-pearl-2003?mid=17&sid=mc858ee54le48fnrdrrl7o53jg&sec=1d454ae04ec05063060b447c650ec70c0846e1d1&t=1652199147

I remember it specifically as the beginning of every other movie being three goddamn hours long.

disneyplus.com has it I think

hold up, who tf is 2ndary Jack?

Further, haters will hate, but this jam is considered absolute undisputed canon:

youtube.com/watch?v=GI6CfKcMhjY

Attached: bolty.png (1225x660, 667.84K)

>Doesn't remember Jack

Attached: intro-1614028280.jpg (1000x563, 114.19K)

Little known fact: They considered calling the first movie

"Pirates of the Carribbean - Curse of the Skellington"

Goddamn. And here people are claiming the film isn't political.

>grooms the governor's daughter
no, he's a chud

Here's a claim I'll make. This is one of the least hate-able films of all time. Literally nothing to hate about this movie. Scene by scene.

Attached: int.png (1285x558, 809.11K)

They did the dog holding the key thing from the ride! I clapped! But seriously it was fun

too many memorable scenes to count.and the skellington CGI were so high quality for their time

Attached: skellington.png (1257x576, 527.73K)

>B-b-but it's low IQ and writing isn't g.....

there's literally an opening line in the movie about how dumb the idea of knowing "Good writing" or "good sayings" and how the criminal pirates use that to their benefit.

Attached: writ.png (1288x584, 704.58K)

who are you quoting?

I think he is quoting the inner critic of every kino enjoyer. But it doesn't work for this movie.

the ending to 2 is fucking kino
youtube.com/watch?v=grwdjSS7D2E

Wind in the sails, wind in the sails!

Furthermore. Yea Forums always talks about soundtracks. Meanwhile, literally not a single movie since has produced a better score. But somehow people will still claim this is not a great movie? WHY!?
youtube.com/watch?v=khsIOsZMAEo

Yeah it's essentially a perfect film. Every single scene is pit h perfect. I don't think we will ever get a (mostly) original big budget film this good again in our lifetimes

THEY'LL HAVE TO SPEAK UP

Attached: Ax8DbgXVeayqBLg8a36z8h.jpg (1000x800, 650.84K)

youtube.com/watch?v=kSpnewpC8yk

Yes, that’s the beginning of Act Three; the characters are at their lowest points (Jack lost his all-important freedom, Will’s lover about to marry Norrington, Elizabeth’s lover about to be executed). They’re all desperate, and have to compromise and face their faults/fears to solve their problems. The beginning of act two would be Will busting Jack out of prison.

The structure is surprisingly simple/classical, but it doesn’t feel that way. It feels broad and sprawling, and that’s because every character has their own personal three-act arc. And that’s how they got away with it by having solid characters with fleshed-out inner lives and a variety of personal goals and dilemmas that intersect.
>Elizabeth wants to break the constraints of nobility, but has to fight her father’s expectations. She also has to sacrifice her deepest desire to save Will.
>Jack is stuck between a desire for freedom and doing the right thing, with Will and Norrington pressuring him each side.
>Will wants to invalidate his father’s pirate legacy, but he has to embrace it to save Elizabeth.
>Barbossa wants to lift the curse, but doing so costs him his life.

Most action/adventure films fail to do this; they have the good guys and the bad guys, and everybody basically wants the same thing. PotC is unique in that there’s often dilemmas no explicitly right answer, the charachters’ desires are mutually exclusive (one character’s goal prevents another character’s goal), and characters have to sacrifice one thing to get another (Jack sacrifices freedom to do the right thing, etc). It’s shockingly well thought-out for a Disney summer action-adventure, but transparent enough for younger audiences to understand, while not sacrificing the intricacy that entertains adults.

Tururu tu, Tururu tu, Tururu tu turururu
Tururu tu, Tururu tu, Tururu tu tururu
Tururu tu, Turυru tu, TuruuRU TU turUrUrU... tururu tu tu turu, turu ru tu tururu

Attached: 29bbd073ac4dd5899c3ab26d7ef29044.png (1920x1080, 2.93M)

maybe the difference is, POTC comedy is extremely physcal in nature (Sparrow landing with a sinking ship. Knightley falling over during the proposal and pic related). Makes sense when you understand this film is based on a literal rollercoaset (physical experience). Nevertheless, a source for great comedy and escapism

Attached: phys.png (1276x571, 799.3K)

kek

Attached: Playing a non-core race.jpg (1024x576, 54.68K)

are any after 3 even worth a watch? rewatching them with the gf since she loved the first so much

>tfw a rollercoaster gets a better adaption than the dark tower series

There's literally a black god/queen that was enslaved though

Asneed

That’s only in the 2nd and beyond. Besides, she’s an island/voodoo bitch. Being black isn’t tokenism; it fits the character and makes her more alien. Also, she’s not a benevolent character, even compared to everybody else.

It’s not a rollercoaster. It’s a flume/dark ride.

I re-watched some of this recently too, and another thing I really appreciated is that despite this franchise being loaded to the brim with magic and the supernatural, everything still looks grounded and realistic. They never went for the stupid modern tropes of magic = CGI shiny sparkles floating around stuff and people with glowing eyes.

Today will be the day you remember as the day you ALMOST caught Captain Jack Sparrow

Unironically it's an actual 10/10

the first pirates is fantastic, memorable, and all around fun. as a kid and as an adult. favorite side character has the idiot british soldier duo

What are you some kind of log flume hype man?

>but you have heard of me

>THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Somehow Disney forgot how to make good movies after the failure of Tomorrowland (and partially that movie with the guy on mars). The last good movie they made was Tron Legacy despite its flaws. Can’t remember any movies between that and Tomorrowland. After it failed they totally shat the bed, cancelled ALL movies even green lighted ones and began the quest for the drivel we have gotten since.

The theme is still fucking amazing.

You best start believin' in ghost stories.

You're in one!!

unironically everything has went to shit during last 15 years

“Don't dare impugn me honor, boy! I agreed she'd go free but it was you who failed to specify when or where.”

Jack Sparrow's arrival on the sinking ship

2007/08. That’s when we shifted timelines.

>I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means "No".

“But where’s the rum?”

Barbossa is unironocally perfect. It’s the unique speaking style + memorable lines + flawless casting.

true.
>9/11, Iraq, Afghanistan, 90s domestic terrorism, airport security and breach of any form of privacy, LA race riots, top athletes murdering their spouses, yugoslavian wars, gaddafi threat, terrorism in Europe, major wars in africa as in Nigeria, Somalia, Sierra Leon, Burkina Faso, etc. etc. etc.

things were so much better before obongo became president.

which one of the scenes where he says this?