Don't Go Woke! Still Go Broke?

No diversity. No liberal messaging. No pandering to insert progressive group here of any kind. Movie crashed harder than United 93? Wha happun?

Attached: northman.png (1054x964, 819.06K)

lack of marketing

>not woke
>"Christians are le baaaaaaaaad"

Imbecile

/pol/tards are like the twitter sjw activists, a small loud minority that screams a lot but never actually watches of pays for anything.

You also have to make a good movie

Based

Not a popular genre, too expensive to make. It doesn't help that the people on here who scream that they don't want minorities in the movies all just pirate anyways.

>the norfman
The lead actor is bland as fuck. That's probably teh main reason. Plus I have no idea what the movie is about. It looks like it's just a meme movie about muh pagan vikangz that jews tried to capitalize on. I'm glad it failed.

Attached: inxxdex.jpg (220x229, 7.72K)

Normies prefer retarded capeshit.
The ameritards bashing it for not being historically accurate because it didn't have stronk black woman vikings and crippled fags possessed by devils is comedy gld though.

>people watch movies for political reasons
Amerikikes aren't people.

>movie made 20 years ago is 10x better
every time

Attached: 1635790019632.jpg (2048x1366, 934.24K)

the theater experience is reserved for capeshit

pagan larpers btfo

They have a loser complex, this sort of thing gets them off

I'm convinced that in a post-Covid world, the only movie that can perform well in theatres going forward is capeshit

>Cinemas have contracts with the big studios like Disney which dominates their screens.
>Only movies with smaller budgets can really make back their money in competition against that.

I watched it, it was good
I assume too old school for cucked degenerate modern audiences

Attached: 8314f572567d107084de22c3da662be803c3152e942cf5704880ea3ae29d0b2b.jpg (640x640, 187.23K)

is 2022,who the fuck wants to see white people on a big screen?
i already have to deal with them at work

>is 2022,who the fuck wants to see white people on a big screen?
Europeans

Charisma wins over grimness

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 157.41K)

Yuros.
Outside of muttland no one really fantasizes about BBC despite the memes.

>Europeans

You're so goddamn rich, and "cultured", make your own movies instead of complaining about America, you have no excuse.

Honest question, why did this film need a $90 million budget? It was a pretty small scale and for most of it only had a few locations.

>make your own movies
We do.

>The Witch
>$40.4 million on a $4 million budget

>The Lighthouse
>$18 million on a $11 million budget

>The Northman
>$51.6 million on a $70-90 million budget

I dunno what they were thinking giving Eggers such a big budget when he has a niche fanbase and there is nothing that would make this appeal to a wider audience.

It's not just The Norm of the Northman struggling. Pretty much any movie with a mid or upper-mid budget has been struggling at the box-office for years now. The box-office has always been a gamble, but now it's basically Russian Roulette if 5 of chambers are loaded. Box-office bombs were becoming norm before, and now after the pandemic they're practically an inevitability.

Pretty much the only stuff that seems to be immune is expensive blockbusters and cheap to shoot horror. Everything else is likely to get torn to shreds.

Attached: grim.png (769x546, 777.81K)

For quality and authenticity. Experts don't come cheap.
Meanwhile shitty CGI capeshit cancer gets half a billion budget and the movie ends up looking like trash anyway.

COVID ballooned the budget. It was closer to 50-70 before COVID ruined everything.

tranny

Watched it twice. Great film, unfortunately it isn't what people want. People want capeshit. Every movie studio knows that it's a risk to make a big budget movie that isn't star wars or gay superhero shit.

Normies would have loved a good Viking movie user, it doesn't help that this is his weakest movie with most of the alienating factors from his other movies and fumbles any attempts to garner normie appeal

My guess is they could've cut the budget by at least $10 million if they removed that opening battle sequence. As much as I loved it, it didn't serve the plot in any way.

The opening raiding scene was absolutely kino and all the money that they spent on that one scene was worth it.

This film's budget is tiny compared to productions that turned out way shittier.
Why are you retarded fags complaining?

Their budgets make sense given all the CGI and all that garbage. Those people got to get paid. I was just wondering why this movie was so pricey.
Ah I could see that.
Perhaps, but I think it would be doing even worse without that scene.

I've seen it. Very underwhelming

>Normies would have loved a good Viking movie user
If the whole thing was just battles like the first scene this would have been very normie bait.

>every time
True

It makes no sense since the CGI used always looks fake because they hire incompetent woke tards who can't into proper lighting.
Why the fuck should these people get paid obscene amounts of money when they can't create a realistic scene?

There was lots of marketing via Amazon/twitch

>As much as I loved it, it didn't serve the plot in any way.
What? Isn't that the scene where he meets the alien Spanish bitch and finds out they're going to be slaves for his uncle and decides to join them? Seems to be a pretty important scene

When you have several walls of VFX artists in the credits, the cost makes sense even though it looks garbage.

It made more than his other movies, but they gave him too much money. It was never making that back.
The Lighthouse is the one that no one went to see.

They used CGI instead of real sets or simple comping or something creative and cheaper

It's a arthouse film, not a Hollywood investment.

Quick, name 5 arthouse films that made 5omil or more.

Coordinated smear campaign by the jewish media.

He meets her on the boat afterwards. It could've easily been rewritten to remove what was clearly an expensive sequence.

I don't like woke shit but "go woke go broke" has always been little more than a /pol/tard cope. Audiences like what audiences like. Most people nowadays don't give two shits if the cast is all white or if it's filled with "diversity" instead.

We Wuz Vikings

Lighthouse
Northman
Witch
Eraserhead
Being John Malkovich

ANYA TAYLOR JOY IS NOT A DRAW,SHES A PLANT TO PUSH LATINA AGENDA

It's hardly an arthouse film

It’s frankly impossible to be sincere in art these days without sounding cringe or at least a bit duplicitous in your intentions.

They gave Eggers $90m
That doesn't happen unless they
>expect to make $$$
or
>expect to win many awards as a prestige flick
This movie will do neither.

I suspect it'll win some awards.

But he joins the slaves because he wanted to get closer to his uncle. There needs to be a reason as to why the Viking raiding group had slaves and as to why the main character decided to pretend to be one and how he got to Iceland. The raiding scene was probably expensive, but it did a good jump bringing life into the film and moving the plot while also giving people a glimpse on how vikings historically operated.

It flopped because it's good, simple as
Cost too much and audiences are at its lowest in IQ terms since the invention of the movie camera. Very much worth watching at the theater if still you have the chance.

So it actually made more than his earlier movies.

They are tho

And? What if it doesn't?

That scene is how they made most of their money. The promotional material is all made from that first 15 minutes.

The thing about these money men is, they aren't always clever. They probably thought it was a more straight forward action packed revenge movie instead of being more subdued. Eggers was apparently disappointed with the final cut of the film so there was obvious some studio interference to try and make it more exciting for normal audiences.

This was pretty much my post from another thread. I don't get why more anons don't get this. Eggers never has been a box office draw, and he probably never will be. The studio who financed The Northman also financed The Lighthouse, so they had to know this already. Which means this is most likely one of those Hollywood projects that got made just because the people making it wanted to make it. It was never meant to be a box office success. At the end of the day, I'm just glad it exists, and I assume everyone involved feels the same way

This. Normies don't give a fuck what race the actors are as long as they're into the movie. "Diversity" is a massive cope and so is "get woke go broke". In reality it doesn't effect shit.

I suppose it's possible but that would shock me. I don't think any of the performances were remarkable. I'd obviously have to see what the competition looks like but I struggle to think of a category where The Northmen would be a strong competitor.

On one hand I'm glad that the movie exist. It's a great film. On the other hand movie studios are probably not gonna fund another big budget arthouse film

It's simple, there's just not enough screens and showtimes for anything that's not capeshit. It's been this way for years. The showtimes you do have are never ideal either. It's impossible for movies like this to succeed.

This. Had to drive 20 minutes to see this because my local theater wasn't showing it.

test

The trailer was just him setting about revenge, didn't seem interesting

It's just a weird movie, no character is likable or get any deepness to them. Everyone is a shallow cookiecutter archetype. The story is very dry and there are 0 surprises, it's literally guy wants revenge and ultimately gets revenge. It's very nice to look at, it's well crafted, some elements were really cool, but i believe Eggers idea is that if people in the 800's had the ability to make movies this is the movie they would make. Completely ignoring the 80 or so years that movie making went through to get an emotional response. It's just not there. A damn shame really, if he focused more on the main characters backstory, like how he went from running away from his home to his rise to becoming a warrior instead of spending 2 hours on a farm where he might exact revenge but just... doesn't.... then it would have been a way more engaging movie.

I wouldn't be so sure. Studios still let mid-budget kino like this get made every now and then, even if they don't turn a profit. Eggers might not get that kind of budget again, but I wouldn't be surprised if some other up-and-coming director does

This is pathetic cope

Meh the movie