Where did it all go wrong?

Rewatching series 1 and its so fucking kino.

Attached: eccleston-doctor-who-ninth-doctor-1200x777.jpg (1200x777, 157.14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bbb56jZo0rE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>eastenders but with technobabble
>those absolutely godawful production values
>level of camp so overwhelming it's borderline parody
>jacky exists to explain rose for the dumbasses in the audience too stupid to understand characters
>the solution to most conflicts is just pushing a convenient button - that one stuck behind death fans is hilarious
>pop songs inserted into episodes
>farting alien fat people and wheelie bins and pipiPIZZA
>characters became literal gods randomly to solve unsolvable situations
Mediocre first season, if the same shit came out today it'd get torn apart for its failings. Only reason people love it so much is because the show is judged compared to what came before, and before season 1 there were many years of absolutely nothing so this automatically gets a pass. Also comes from the time you were a kid and liked pop culture 'le comfy' without realizing how shit the world is.

for me it gone wrong with Capaldi

the downhill began shortly after matt smith came along

i liked Matt Smith, Capaldi was just so unanimated to me zzzzzzzzz.

Congratulations, you got filtered.

Series 3-4+Specials were the peak of NuWho

Yeah I made the mistake of not being a kid when it aired like you were.
+Specials
The peak in viewership, perhaps.

Personally I'd say somewhere around Series 5
> Daleks ruined for like 2 Series
> Weeping angels become a mainstay villain instead of an interesting one-off
> The sets and props started to become a lot more campy, say what you will about Series 1-4 but it has a more gritty/industrial look to it.
> James Corden
That said Series 5 I think is still pretty good, the bottom falls out with Series 6 and then it just rots until we get one last hurrah with Heaven Sent.

Not the fault of the show: general Zeitgeist changed and it went along with it

My zoomer brother grew up with Smith and it's funny to see him using the same exact arguments in his favor as people who grew up with pre-Smith. It was just grittier when I watched it, more soulful! The characters just had more substance! The stories were just more exciting! The sets were better! Things made more sense!

Series 5-8 are still pretty kino. It's really series 9 when they start stunt casting companions (Maisie that year, Matt Lucas the next) and turn Capaldi into a hippy rock star grandpa to try and save viewing figures that the show turns to unwatchable shit.

I've watched NuWho a gajillion times.
Series 1, 3, 5 and 9 are the best ones for different reasons. Don't reply to me.

>It was just grittier when I watched it, more soulful! The characters just had more substance! The stories were just more exciting! The sets were better! Things made more sense!
all true

Fucking loved Eccleston as a kid, he was the only Doctor who actually felt like a real character - Tenant was too RANDUMB le quirky funny man and I kind a stopepd watching by the time Smith came along

1 is terrible just like the rest of the series

Based, Ecc and Capaldi were the best

>Where did it all go wrong?
Show runners and writers started to lurk and troll in internet forums.

When Moffat took over, specifically after his first season, season 5.
He was great as an individual episode writer contributing doctor centric, highly melodramatic classics to Davies lighter seasons. But when he became showrunner he showed that was the sum total of his idea. It worked brilliantly for season 5 which is the peak of the show, but then every season was exactly the same thing again and again and again until by Capaldis first season it was just a painful shitty show.

>but then every season was exactly the same thing again and again and again until by Capaldis first season it was just a painful shitty show.
So you stopped watching at series 7 then? Because it's not the same shit after that at all. I'm not saying Capaldi's seasons were necessarily good but they were quite different from the Smith stuff. I'd say Smith's tenure was more similar to Tennant's than Capaldi's was to Smith's.

s6 and s7 were so cringe that you can't really blame anons for assuming everything afterwards is the same shit

Capaldi era is kino, people who let Maisie filter them despite being ugly af are weak.

It went wrong as soon as the spinoffs started.

It went wrong when they replaced the hot leggy redhead with the frumpy bitch.

It went wrong as soon as the faggot in the suit started sprinting around shouting quips and the show became more about boys wanting to self-insert as him while girls want to fuck him.

So season 2 of NuWho then?

So I'm not alone in thinking that Eccleston and Capaldi's incarnations had the best character arcs?

Attached: 1600704030631.jpg (419x458, 34K)

I want to smell that actress's dirty underwear

it'd be nice if you faggots started the thread by referencing what fucking show this is

Exactly. Who is the guy in OP?

/thread
old Who>nu-Who

An episode called The Empress of Mars. That's when the writers were basically told to stop giving a fuck about Doctor Who and just focus on the agenda.

Are Doctory Who fans seriously just realizing this show is libtard trash?

It's literally made by britcucks. What else did you need to know?

That was just standard Mark Gaypiss fare.
Why Moffat always had him around is a mystery.

>where did it all go wrong
Somewhere during Tennant's tenure as the Doctor when the show became a "pop culture phenomenon." The show became very good at appealing to the emotions of the viewer but less good at telling a sensible story. And it started sliding downhill. By the end of Tennant's run every show was predictable and maudlin, but the characters were still strong enough to carry the weak writing. Matt Smith and company continued this, with likeable characters putting in the work with the occasional good episode, making the show more enjoyable than not, up until the introduction of the Clara Oswald story. When Clara Oswald began to steal the spotlight from the Doctor the show entered into its death spiral. Where Tennant and Smith were interesting enough to carry interest through weaker scripts, Capaldi just didn't have enough to work with as the show had shifted so much focus to Clara. I don't have an opinion on anything that has happened since Capaldi's Doctor played the electric guitar on top of a tank while having a singalong with medieval people in a castle, because that is the exact moment I realized that I no longer cared to watch anymore.

Good post

Moffat. It went wrong with Moffat.

he's the best doctor

Filtered. The guitar on a tank moment is deliberately played off as a "what the fuck are you doing what's gotten into you" moment and the Doctor snaps back to normal once the situation gets serious.

the Smith era was pure Harry Potter tier garbage
too much whimsy
everything after has just been cringe
if you kept watching after the 50th you might be brain dead

>When Clara Oswald began to steal the spotlight from the Doctor the show entered into its death spiral.
This is funny because S1 was more about Rose than S8 was about Clara, yet people keep saying this.

The whole Bad Wolf thing was dumb, but I didn't feel like it dominated the narratives of the individual episodes and it only mattered at the season finale. Honestly I can't even remember much about it. Rose was otherwise just a fiesty girl who went on adventures with the Doctor. Clara and her Impossible Girl shit upstaged the Doctor constantly.

>s1
rose was much more important during donna's time. or was it the black nurse with the rain falling upwards? my most vivid memory of rose is how she was warping back and forward between universes and the doctor grabbed a piece of paper, folded it, and punctured 50 holes through it

>Clara and her Impossible Girl shit upstaged the Doctor constantly.
Season 1 ends with Rose transforming into a time god and saving the Doctor's ass from certain death. Season 4 ends with her getting her very own Doctor clone to settle down with in an alternate dimension. I know the writer clevely tricked people into thinking those assistans were ordinary normal people but they were functionally the opposite. Clara was the same shit as Rose, technically normal people but harbingers of plot power and relevance.

go back to r eddit deliberately you pompous cunt

Go back to watching CBBC toddler shit if you can't turn your brain on when observing fiction.

you're making it sound way more obtuse than it actually is, they spend 5 or 10 minutes talking about what is inside the tardis when it turns that evil alien back in to an egg, rose doesnt turn in to a time god, she just pulls a panel off the tardis and wields the energy or whatever. its a total of 20 minutes or so over those 2 eps and its very easily understood. that clara shit went on and on and i have absolutely no idea what it was or where it went, i tried reading the wiki page and couldnt make sense of it, did they even explain it?
the issue is also there was too much poorly written and indecipherable lore, compare the first multi episode arc where the master returns, it was like the earlier seasons with the bad wolf thing where they set it up in a sensible way, as soon as you see the watch you know whats up, before i dropped it every episode was an impenetrable lore fest that was completely stuck up its own arse

>where did it all go wrong
You grew up.
I find any doctor who after Sylvester McCoy unwatchable. When I was younger it was engrossing, and now that I'm older it provides nostalgia and comfort.

Maybe you should stop watching kids television expecting to connect with it.

Attached: 220px-Seventh_Doctor_(Doctor_Who)[1].jpg (220x318, 21.72K)

In the night garden is based and redpilled you cunt.

I stopped watching shortly after Capaldi took over, I actually liked him more than Matt Smith, but the plotlines became shit and boring
Is right, actually I think the downfall started a bit earlier with Tennants' last episodes but the writing with Matt just went nowhere, Amy Pond and her boyfriend were nice but all the new plotlines were really bad, it's been a while but I remember being baffled with The Silence being hyped up and then resulting in a shitpost tier finale about people worshipping the Doctor feeling betrayed or something. The show was revitalized with Clara, in particular, the episode where she was a maid in victorian England was kino, buit kept in downward spiral after that.
I actually thought about watching the newest seasons because the girl doctor actress made me coom in Black Mirror, but I heard it's wokeshit so I won't even bother
Have qt Dr Who Carrie

Attached: MV5BY2MyZTI4YzgtMTRkNC00OWNiLWJiY2UtYzUzMGIxNWViMTE1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODc5MTI0NjU@._V1_.jpg (1920x1080, 146.88K)

>that clara shit went on and on and i have absolutely no idea what it was or where it went, i tried reading the wiki page and couldnt make sense of it, did they even explain it?
Yes, it's quite easily explained. Even kids understood it.
>the issue is also there was too much poorly written and indecipherable lore
>before i dropped it every episode was an impenetrable lore fest that was completely stuck up its own arse
It really was not like this. The only lore after S6 is something that was already previously introduced in the show's history. Most of the episodes were leading towards exploring certain themes or completing character arcs, not lore. If you want to watch an episode obsessed with lore pick the series 12 finale.

I really don't get where this meme about being convoluted or lore-heavy with Moffat comes from, those were not his issues. Following his storytelling is not any more difficult than watching an average TV drama nowadays, people just overexaggerate or have no actual recollection of the show, hence the "i never finished it/when i was a kid/it was all the same." Not claiming it was better than what came before, just that people seem to misattribute the downsides completely or cite inaccurate vague memories without factoring in their own bias.

I honestly don't remember all that. The difference is in the writing, clearly, i early on they could do all that and I didn't hate it the way I began to hate it toward Capaldi's turn.

11 with his recurring alien lesbian couple and fat potato buddies
12 and his abysmal plot episodes and "If I have infinite time I can beat anything" bullshit
Jodie with being a woman and then shitting all over timelord lore

You became more aware and the formula became played out for you. It's the same shit with a different shade.

"Do you fancy billie piper sir?"

This. Nothing wrong woth Matt but the writing went to shit

I don't know what it is about this show that turns people into retards incapable of following fiction. Outside of this show they're fairly normal but when it's time to express an opinion about Who it's like everyone drops to 20 IQ immediately.

Really? It was shit even then. Right from the off it lost what made old Who good.

The downhill began with the specials at the end of Tennant's run, especially The End of Time.

>Where did it all go wrong
Mid way thru Moffat's era for me, the writing quality was slowly declining and it's clear they were running low on ideas, plus that's when the leftist social justice stuff started creeping into the stories
Original RTD era will always be fucking kino for me, on par with the 70s for the best era of Who. The character development/arcs in Series 1-3 were fucking incredible, really felt like every character served a purpose whereas nowadays half the characters are comic relief and the other half are just there to spout some anti-homophobe anti-racist rhetoric
Hopefully RTD 2.0 will be an improvement, i'm even willing to put up with a fair amount of political/social bullshit aslong as his writing is even close to how it was in his original run

Attached: ec26fe260f.jpg (1648x944, 630.67K)

>>Daleks ruined for like 2 Series
Victory of the Daleks completely destroyed them and I don't think they've ever fully recovered desu. They'll never be as menacing as they were in Series 1 & 4

aaaaaaaa shes so cute

>menacing
>series 4
You mean after the retired mums of the companions push Daleks around their ship like toys after they got disabled with a single button? Kek so menacing. They haven't been menacing since S1.

Yeah you're probably right, I just liked the big red Supreme Dalek and the conclusion of Caan's arc desu. S1 was defo the peak tho

RTD era was utter kino
youtube.com/watch?v=Bbb56jZo0rE

Clara ruined it for me. She was the third(3) companion in a row they did the "she is the key to all of this" plot with. Characters just became way too important to saving the universe

>str8 white man kissing a str8 white woman
will we ever see this blessed sight again in DW?