If the Valyrian Freehold covered much of Essos why did only a single family survive the Doom?

If the Valyrian Freehold covered much of Essos why did only a single family survive the Doom?

Attached: 3c4xe17xgyc81.png (1146x1046, 31.94K)

There are Valyrian descendants all over Essos.

Because almost all the powerful Valyrian lords lived in Valyria. The few that remained, aside from the Targs, died in the following conflict.

The level of shilling for your shitty Blacked HBOMax spinoff is getting tiresome already

because the rest were doomed lol

> an all conquering master race with silver hair and purple eyes
How did Martin get away with this

He didn't.

Attached: 19326487325.jpg (1024x882, 112.33K)

all the important families were in valyria itself but there are genetically valyrian people still in existence across essos, i think lys is explicitly mentioned as a place where valyrian looks are common

Also it isn't about the valyrian genes it's about dragon riders.
Most if not all dragons except the Targ dragons were at Valyria.
Dragons were what made Valyria a military power. They weren't special outside of it

this is more about the books than the show but does anyone else have trouble telling the essos cities apart from one another?
really besides braavos all of the descriptions of the other free cities just blend together. the same with all of the more eastern cities. astapor, mereen, yunkai, etc might as well all be the same place.

Attached: 1651787629837.png (657x718, 58.31K)

Dragonlords rarely ever left Valyria, the Targaryens were deeply scorned and mocked for moving to Dragonstone. Besides, several dragonlords did survive the doom because they were elsewhere. One was in Qohor and flew to Valyria to try to reclaim it, and was never seen again. Others in the Free Cities were killed by the mob.

Some of the free cities stand out in the books, like Lys being a massive whorehouse or Volantis being a messy two-party state. The rest are pretty samey, but they don’t get explored.

they are a little special, what with the magic blood and psychic dreams and shit. Also isn't the doom of valyria attributed to the faceless men, wouldnt be a stretch to think they hunted down the remainders to some degree

ASOIAF is a post-apocalyptic world with genetic engineering and telepathy.

think it might just be because I speed through dany chapters, because she's a shit but all I remember is mereen has the harpy pyramid, quarth the multiple circle of walls and crying pussy faggot culture (like the usa now) and yunkai was the slave one I think

Still crazy that those faceless schizos left the power hungry Targaryens alone with their dragons for about a century, until they ended up killing them themselves with the civil war.

..Unless they were in cahoots with the maesters in their ploy to erase magic from the world

>doom of Valyria attributed to the faceless men
It was? I honestly don't recall
And yeah sure, they had other psychic and magic powers, but I assume OP is asking families as in dragonrider families like the Targs

t. Prestonjacobs

Some of the Free Cities (namely Pentos, Myr and Tyrosh) basically share the exact same culture and are indeed pretty indistinguishable and boring. Others (Lorath, Qohor and Norvos) were founded by religious minorities with eccentric beliefs, and are similar in that respect. Finally, Meereen, Yunkai and Astapor were founded by the Ghiscari Empire and thus share the exact same culture, they all have pyramids, slaves, etc.

The Valyrian looks is still rather common in Essos. Lys was a proper population colony so the majority of the citiziens are descendants of valyrian commoners. Volantis nobility is too of valyrian stock (mostly former middle class officers that took control of the colony after the doom)

Almost all the dragonlord nobility stayed in the mainland and died with the doom. The only survivors were the Targaryens that escaped early and a single dude called Aurion, that was having a trip in north Essos. After the fall he self proclaimed himself as Emperor of Essos, but disappeared when he moved to the ruined Valyrian looking for treasures and eggs to loot

Most lived in Valyria. Some Targ autist has premonitions about the Doom so moved his ass to Westeros. All other Valyrians thought he was an idiot for leaving

Sooo..... since there are bookfags itt -- what's up with Maester Marwin the Mage? He features prominently at the beginning and end of AFFC and I recently realized Mirri Maz Durr claims to have learned healing skills from him in AGOT.
He's being set up for something big.

but he's right about it tho..
The long night destroyed the original empire that ruled all over mankind and then the wargs and the inbred dragonriders showed up

in aryas training chapters they give her a history lesson and one of the lines is 'he (the founder) brought the gift (of death) to the slaves and eventually to their masters' or something to that effect

>In Essos Mirri Maz Duur mentions to Daenerys Targaryen that she was taught about human anatomy by a maester named Marwyn.[4]
he fucked her

Given he's into magic and esoteric knowledge, and he's planning to met Dany, many thinks he will the character that will link Dany with the Wall/White Walkers subplot. He also wants to warn her to NOT trust maesters once she lands in the continent, given he thinks the citadel is a anti-magic cabal that poisoned the original Targaryen dragons

well I haven't read the non main books but I think part of the faceless ideology to be no one is to avoid being psychic dreamed before commiting an assassination and it limits their actions both ideologically and practically

we dont know what the doom was, just that is made the empire/freehold fall.

I've seen the theory that Marwyn is using a glamor to appear as the Red Priest Moqorro on Victarion's ship. Thoughts?

isnt he in oldtown at roughly the same time. also glamor would require him to have some of morq's shit

He leaves for Essos after his first conversation with Sam. That's at the end of AFFC. Who is Pate? Jaqen?

I wonder that if for this reason, recruiting Arya might either be a galaxy brain move or the dumbest choice that could potentially bring down their entire cult

>Who is Pate? Jaqen?
thats what I hear. as for moq-marwen I guess it's possible by time if I vaguely remember right but why would it even be necessary? it's not like they know who marwyn/moq is they only keep him alive because he cures fucktard's arm injury.
it seems like due to the indoctrination they arent really capable long term planning, they seemed to me to have just become a mechanism. Arya will wash out I think (by her own choice if I guessed) but I never got the impression she there would be a serious confrontation between them.

Too convoluted, it's likely from a schizo that also believ that Benjen, Daario, Euron AND coldhands are the same person

>Who is Pate? Jaqen?
It's 100% for sure a faceless assassin. May or may be not the faceless assassin know to Arya as Jaqen. In book 2 he mention he have an important task in the west. Could had been either infiltrate the citadel, or the murdering of Balon at the orders of Euron (in the books he was likely killed by a faceless man he payed)

Becouse the fat man is a bad writter. Rome didn't collapse in on itself completely, half of it survived, many other countries that sprung out of the leftovers claimed to be the descendants of Rome.
Yes, Valyria is based on Rome.

I think this is more that you can't have something like Valyria only halfway collapse. If half the dragon riders survived they'd instantly just reestablish control.
Dragons are basically WMDs in this world.

It's just that Marwyn was foreshadowed by GRRM in AGOT in one of the most pivotal plot points and then he basically bookends AFFC.
It would be disappointing if he ended up a red herring.

You could have the dragon population reduced. As far as we know Valyria itself is an uninhabitable shithole by the moment the main story takes place, cursed and filled with many dangerous and weird things. That's pretty much what happened to Italy when the ostrogoths took over.
It's just weird that besides the westerosi incest trio there isn't a single large valyrian country out there, especially when you consider the fact that even nowadays we have claimants to the title of the Roman Emperor.

>discussing the books
The fat fuck is never going to write them, he probably hasn't been writing at all for the past 10 years, and he's going to die soon.

>even nowadays we have claimants to the title of the Roman Emperor
We don't. We don't even have Byzantine claimants. It's been too long. I do agree with your point, though, since the Doom of Valyria only happened around 450 years before the events of ASOIAF.

Because GRRM never cared about logic in his world. Anyway, later suplimentary material "revealed" at least a couple of Dragonlords survived. One could immediately killed by the people of Lys, the other raised and army and marched back to Valyria and was never seen again. But this shit was clearly made up decades after the first book released.

Westeros' naming convention works much in terms of remembering shit. Having said that, I always found essos more interesting and that helped a lot when it comes to remembering the names.

Volantis tried to make itself the new Valyria but again, without dragons it didn't have the military might to force the issue.
>dragon population reduced
Aegon conquered Westeros with 3 dragons. That's all it would take.
Honestly I'd wager that the dragon population was never above around a hundred of them, Can you imagine even just what a hundred full grown dragons would look like for a military power in this setting

Byzantium was just a greek rump state. Nothing else

Martin added a lot of characters that didnt planned initially from book 4 onwards. The plot for maester hinted in AGOT could had been originally much different from the one of Marwyn

All the other Valyrian families interbred and became mutts

We have the Romanov Russian throne claimants, and thus we have Roman claimants. There's also the Habsburgs but I'm not sure if anyone of them still has the title. The monarchy isn't completely gone yet and thus the claim to the Roman Empire isn't completely gone either, even if those claims aren't going to be pursued or even exclaimed in any major way.

Lorath, Qhor and Norvos are very unique, but being in the far norheast we know jackshit about them and their people
Volantis have the unique mechanic of still having a valyrian nobility ruling class still workshipping the ancient valyrian gods. But the vast majority of their subjects are enslaved mutts that workship the Fire God. The local clergy is shilling Dany as Azor Ahai that will free them from the nobles
The slaves cities of Yunkai, Astapor etc. are basically: "what if islam never happened, and romance-speaking city states evolves in north africa, with all of them LARPing as the descendants of those defeated by their actuall ancestors?"

Is this the real reason for which the targs declined in status and power?
I mean, aside from their dragons being dead

There were 70-80 dragonlords families if i remember correctly (The Targs were always mid-low tier among them). So they likely had hundreds of dragons. Keep in mind that a volcanic land is perfect to breed them, and the Targaryen managed to keep a dozen or so with a tiny volcanic isle

It would make sense, considering a situation in which the Valyrians were similiar to the late Polish-Lithuanian nobility, where around 10% of the population were considered nobles despite most of them having nothing more than a sabre and a title of a nobleman. Propably the same thing in case of Valyria, most people being Valyrian and looking like one despite never even being close to having a dragon.

>But the vast majority of their subjects are enslaved mutts that workship the Fire God. The local clergy is shilling Dany as Azor Ahai that will free them from the nobles
>let’s replace the horrible Valyrian nobles with a Valyrian noble who has dragons
Fucking lel

That's a fair point. Although Targs only had a dozen dragons by the time they had the dragon pit and King's Landing.

The slave bay people are literally north-african Romans LARPing as Carthaginians except the fact that their religion is clearly based on zoroastrianism

I mean, it would seem logical for a malnourished peasant/slave to believe the dany hype.

>The slave bay people are literally north-african Romans LARPing as Carthaginians except the fact that their religion is clearly based on zoroastrianism

Pretty much what i said yes. They are all gigamutts descendants of various slaves imported in the bay after the Valyrians genocided the actuall Ghiscaris. All their ghiscaris names, clothes and faith is a gigant pathetic LARP

Also the fact they speak Valyrian instead of any local dialect or language.
Or is that a show thing?

Nope. Even in the books they spoke a vernacular form of Valyrian with some high words in old Ghiscari added to it for maximixe the LARP effect

You mean he would be if grrm ever finished TWOW

I just wanna read winds, bros..

Bookfags, answer me this.

How likely is it that Bran is actually manipulating events from the future with dreams and whatever to better suit his position as King of Westeros?

Look at this faggot swinging his sword around like his dragons didn't do all the work

Attached: 350px-Aegon_the_Conqueror.jpg (350x400, 21.27K)